Notices

Welcome Mikael Granlund and the other 2010 Wild Draftees

Old
06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I've always said Mikko's skillset is better suited to a 2nd line center... but he's been our top line center purely by default since we don't have anyone better than he is, or anyone with a better top line skillset at least.

Not saying Granlund is the guy... long way to go to find that out... but that's just always been my take on Mikko himself.
Mikko does a fine job as a 1st line center, if Granlund reaches his potential, we could have a 1a, 1b type of thing which is pretty cool. I know you weren't trying to say that Mikko isn't a #1 center, but is more suited to a #2 line.

Granlund could also play LW which is something that we don't have much organizationally, not saying that we should draft based on need, but I still think the pick was a good one. Flahr has an interview up on Wild TV, and it looks like they were exploring trading up to nab Granlund, but were excited when he was there when we picked #9.

Bring him into camp and see how he looks, but probably send him back to the FEL to develop some more. No reason to rush him as much as we would all like to see him.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
nickschultzfan

I'm hoping Wellman and Granlund develop fast and can maybe find some chemistry. Wellman is a pure sniper. Granlund a natural set-up pivot. Maybe toss not-to-be-forgotten Gillies in there as well.

Lats-Koivu-Havlat
Gillies-Granlund-Wellman

Yeah, it's hard to remember so soon after the draft that these guys don't make impacts for 4 more years.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've always said Mikko's skillset is better suited to a 2nd line center... but he's been our top line center purely by default since we don't have anyone better than he is, or anyone with a better top line skillset at least.

Not saying Granlund is the guy... long way to go to find that out... but that's just always been my take on Mikko himself.
i agree with you--that's always been my take as well. Without having seen him live over a stretch of games though I'd say Granlund would be center 1B to Koivu's 1A. I can't imagine him taking any minutes from Mikko, certainly, but he might get paired with the most dynamic winger.

edit: ha! before i read mnwildgophers post

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:34 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Mikko does a fine job as a 1st line center, if Granlund reaches his potential, we could have a 1a, 1b type of thing which is pretty cool. I know you weren't trying to say that Mikko isn't a #1 center, but is more suited to a #2 line.

Granlund could also play LW which is something that we don't have much organizationally, not saying that we should draft based on need, but I still think the pick was a good one. Flahr has an interview up on Wild TV, and it looks like they were exploring trading up to nab Granlund, but were excited when he was there when we picked #9.

Bring him into camp and see how he looks, but probably send him back to the FEL to develop some more. No reason to rush him as much as we would all like to see him.
Not saying Mikko is a BAD 1st line center either though. I think he is a DECENT 1st line center, but as a 2nd line center he would be elite.

The thing is, Mikko does everything well... but nothing great. Thus when he is out against top defenders, it causes him to struggle that much more is all. Get someone with GREAT puck skills to center against top defenders, move Mikko down a line and let him rip apart the secondary defenders.

It's all about maximizing the matchups. Mikko as a 2nd line center would be absolutely elite... where as someone with better suited top line skills could do at least as good a job as Mikko does on the top line, maybe better due to their either great puck handling or great passing. Thus the team is better off overall.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i agree with you--that's always been my take as well. Without having seen him live over a stretch of games though I'd say Granlund would be center 1B to Koivu's 1A. I can't imagine him taking any minutes from Mikko, certainly, but he might get paired with the most dynamic winger.

edit: ha! before i read mnwildgophers post
Great minds think alike. If not, he can always switch to a wing position.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I'm hoping Wellman and Granlund develop fast and can maybe find some chemistry. Wellman is a pure sniper. Granlund a natural set-up pivot. Maybe toss not-to-be-forgotten Gillies in there as well.

Lats-Koivu-Havlat
Gillies-Granlund-Wellman

Yeah, it's hard to remember so soon after the draft that these guys don't make impacts for 4 more years.
Wellman may find his way up to the 2nd line someday... sure... but I would see Gillies on the 3rd line mostly myself. I'd hope we'd have another sniper in there.

Also, IF Granlund can bring his game to the NHL, his skills may be a better fit for Lats and Havlat than Mikko's would be. Though, we won't know that for a few years yet.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:39 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Not saying Mikko is a BAD 1st line center either though. I think he is a DECENT 1st line center, but as a 2nd line center he would be elite.

The thing is, Mikko does everything well... but nothing great. Thus when he is out against top defenders, it causes him to struggle that much more is all. Get someone with GREAT puck skills to center against top defenders, move Mikko down a line and let him rip apart the secondary defenders.

It's all about maximizing the matchups. Mikko as a 2nd line center would be absolutely elite... where as someone with better suited top line skills could do at least as good a job as Mikko does on the top line, maybe better due to their either great puck handling or great passing. Thus the team is better off overall.
If that's what happens, so be it. It's way too early to project that Granlund will become anything near a 2nd line center, but he sure looks dynamic to me. Granlund scoring at a near PPG in the FEL is insane, Koivu had a couple of assists in 21 games there? That's crazy stuff. I know Koivu is more of a 2-way forward, but I wonder where he's more suited to play. Center or wing?

Old
06-25-2010, 11:42 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
If that's what happens, so be it. It's way too early to project that Granlund will become anything near a 2nd line center, but he sure looks dynamic to me. Granlund scoring at a near PPG in the FEL is insane, Koivu had a couple of assists in 21 games there? That's crazy stuff. I know Koivu is more of a 2-way forward, but I wonder where he's more suited to play. Center or wing?
Actually... all we have to go by is projections on what type of potential these players have. So it's not too early to project by any means... it's too early to PREDICT whether or not the projections hold water.

Actually, it sounds like Granlund has a pretty polished 2 way game himself. One of the reasons he's being called a Saku Koivu clone. To me that screams center if there ever was one.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
State of Hockey

So Granlund's already slotting in at center. Hmm, just like Brodziak would be playing RW. . .

Granlund is currently a LW and plays like a LW. No reason to believe he'll be a center at this point. He's perfectly suited to be Koivu's wingman.

Quote:
Flahr has an interview up on Wild TV, and it looks like they were exploring trading up to nab Granlund, but were excited when he was there when we picked #9.
That's . . . scary. Granlund at #9 was high before the draft. And after the picks started shaking down, that was still plenty high. Trading up for Granlund would have been retarded. Being excited when he was available at #9 is stupid. They must have been absolutely in love with him. Why I'm not sure.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
its off to finland with him next year, i think. and i'm still a little curious about how exactly their game over there translates to the NHL. Didn't Mikko sort of suck in that league?

Even if he has a stellar year over there I'm still not ready to woot woot until he does it over here. Who is the next Finn on the rankings? Might as well assemble a national team.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
So Granlund's already slotting in at center. Hmm, just like Brodziak would be playing RW. . .

Granlund is currently a LW and plays like a LW. No reason to believe he'll be a center at this point. He's perfectly suited to be Koivu's wingman.

Look for Yourself then...

Wild finds skill at center

Mikael Granlund dropped to No. 9 overall, and GM Chuck Fletcher couldn't resist the Finn's talent at a position of need.

By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: June 25, 2010 - 10:29 PM

LOS ANGELES - Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher had been saying for weeks that he might not be willing to pass by a couple of stud defensemen if they fell in his lap even if it meant not addressing the Wild's biggest area of need -- a center.

Friday night at the NHL entry draft, a couple of stud defensemen shockingly fell to No. 9 -- Windsor's Cam Fowler and Moncton's Brandon Gormley.

But despite his phone ringing off the hook with teams wanting to move up, Fletcher pounced on one of the most skilled centers in the draft -- Helsinki's boy amongst men, Mikael Granlund.

With all the scouting reports slotting him at center... and from the sounds of it... even the Wild slotting him at center... why oh why would I ever get the idea that he may play center?

Old
06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
That's . . . scary. Granlund at #9 was high before the draft. And after the picks started shaking down, that was still plenty high. Trading up for Granlund would have been retarded. Being excited when he was available at #9 is stupid. They must have been absolutely in love with him. Why I'm not sure.
I can see why. Granlund would have made an excellent Atlanta pick, who could along side Evander Kane, a goal scoring threat. And Atlanta's at #8.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

He was high at #9? Where did you rank him?

Old
06-25-2010, 11:50 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

Yeah I'd be very surprised to see us trade up for Granlund. I would have gotten Connolly in a trade-up situation, but maybe they weren't actually close to pulling off a deal, just something they were exploring?

Whether Granlund plays LW or C, I still think we got a good player. They did have scouts scouting him for the full year, we can't really say whether it was a good or bad pick for a couple of years. We just don't know when you're drafting 18 year old kids, but to do what he did in the FEL, he must have been doing something right. Had he played in the CHL, would have he gone higher? I don't know, but let's send him back to Finland to develop his game some more.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:53 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

More on why I might think he may be slotted at center? How about the very fans who've been watching him play all season saying he will be a center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimars View Post
I highly doubt u've seen him play apart from WJC. He's gonna be a top line center in the NHL within few years. Skilled, physical and lots of heart and guts. His size will not be much of an issue since despite lacking some speed he's skating balance is awesome.

He's playmaking abilities made his two no-name linemates look like superstars for half the season. He just makes positive things happen and oozes character, discipline and sportmanship.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Yeah I'd be very surprised to see us trade up for Granlund. I would have gotten Connolly in a trade-up situation, but maybe they weren't actually close to pulling off a deal, just something they were exploring?

Whether Granlund plays LW or C, I still think we got a good player. They did have scouts scouting him for the full year, we can't really say whether it was a good or bad pick for a couple of years. We just don't know when you're drafting 18 year old kids, but to do what he did in the FEL, he must have been doing something right. Had he played in the CHL, would have he gone higher? I don't know, but let's send him back to Finland to develop his game some more.
I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if we tried to beat Atlanta to Granlund. But any higher, I would, because that would mean we won't pass on alot of other talented forwards such as Burmistrov or Connolly

Old
06-26-2010, 12:01 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Funny you say that when I read this...

"He's got the best hockey sense of any player in the entire draft, and he's got the best playmaking skill of any player in the entire draft," said former Nashville Predators scout Kyle Woodlief, who rated Granlund No. 3 in the entire draft in his Red Line Report.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Look for Yourself then...

Wild finds skill at center

With all the scouting reports slotting him at center... and from the sounds of it... even the Wild slotting him at center... why oh why would I ever get the idea that he may play center?
Wouldn't be the only error from Russo tonight (SEL > SM-Liiga). I choose actuality versus one word in a Russo article. He now plays LW. Old media says C. Newer media says LW. TSN, ESPN, etc. now say LW. His skills translate to NHL wing. Where have the Wild said he's a center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I can see why. Granlund would have made an excellent Atlanta pick, who could along side Evander Kane, a goal scoring threat. And Atlanta's at #8.
Kane and Granlund are both LWs. Atlanta needed a center and got one. Granlund and Atlanta were never connected IIRC. And if they went Granlund, it meant another high prospect was still on the board for us. No worries.

Quote:
He was high at #9? Where did you rank him?
I got him at #11. His rankings had started to slip out of the top-10. Obviously the brass liked him. A lot. I like him too, but not that much, especially when so many good guys were left for us.

Quote:
Funny you say that when I read this...

"He's got the best hockey sense of any player in the entire draft, and he's got the best playmaking skill of any player in the entire draft," said former Nashville Predators scout Kyle Woodlief, who rated Granlund No. 3 in the entire draft in his Red Line Report.
And RLR is well-known as one of the most "bold" ranking services. So?

Last edited by State of Hockey: 06-26-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old
06-26-2010, 12:06 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Wouldn't be the only error in that article (SEL > SM-Liiga). I choose actuality versus one word in a Russo article. He now plays LW. Old media says C. New media says LW. TSN, ESPN, etc. now say LW. Where have the Wild said he's a center?
And Bouchard was a center when he was drafted but has been a wing in the NHL... go figure.

As I said, all the scouting reports project him as a center, not as a LW in the NHL. Just because he last played LW in a season doesn't mean he will here.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Kane and Granlund are both LWs. Atlanta needed a center and got one. Granlund and Atlanta were never connected IIRC. And if they went Granlund, it meant another high prospect was still on the board for us. No worries.

I got him at #11. His rankings had started to slip out of the top-10. Obviously the brass liked him. A lot. I like him too, but not that much, especially when so many good guys were left for us.
Granlund is a center. From every single report of Granlund mentions him to be a center.

So is two spots really that much of a difference? We saw how Fowler and Gormley fell, how Schwartz and Hishon rose. So because of 2 spots, u considered him high at #9????

EDIT: 2 spots mean he's where you expected him to be drafted. Not low, not high at #9.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Here's more on the CENTER...

2010 NHL Draft,9th Pick: Minnesota Wild Select Mikael Granlund, HIFK Center

Jun 25 8:30p by Zachary Zielonka

The first European player has been selected by the Minnesota Wild. with Mikael Granlund, HIFK center. Granlund was the top ranked European skater in the final Central Scouting Rankings and his stats warrant that ranking. In the past two seasons with HIFK, Granlund has had 97 points in 78 games.

Our Stars site, Defending Big D, had this to say about Granlund

The kid is a freaking Brad Richards clone when it comes to distributing the puck. Just from watching highlights, you really get the picture that Granlund has a second sense when it comes to playmaking ability. And if the Stars ARE inclined to move a Mike Ribeiro this offseason, why not add another potential top-six playmaking center to the system? He's dazzling to watch play hockey.

The Wild should be happy with this selection and they can wait on Granlund as he is still under contract with HIFK through next season.

And more...

Another Koivu? Minnesota Wild draft Finnish center Mikael Granlund in 1st round with 9th pick

* DAVE CAMPBELL AP Sports Writer
* Posted: June 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm, Updated: June 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm

MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Wild haven't had much production from their first-round draft picks of the past six years.

Well, on Friday night they went back to a strategy that worked before — taking a center from Finland.

The Wild selected Mikael Granlund with the ninth pick in the first round of the draft, a center from Finland just like Mikko Koivu nine years ago when they got him with the sixth selection.

And more...

Draft Profile: Mikael Granlund
Thursday, 06.17.2010 / 3:00 AM / Blog
By Paul Branecky

Granlund has often drawn comparisons to Saku Koivu, the longtime Montreal Canadiens captain who spent last season with the Anaheim Ducks. Beyond the obvious in that they’re both centers from Finland, further similarities exist. Koivu checks in a near-identical 5-foot-10 and 183 pounds, with Granlund showing many of the same skills and tendencies that helped his countryman record 693 points over 14 NHL seasons.

“He’s more of a creative playmaker than a shooter,” said Tony MacDonald, the Hurricanes’ director of amateur scouting, of Granlund. “He has the speed and plays a smart, complete game now and uses his wingers a lot more than he did in the past.”

Why would the Hurricanes director of amateur scouting make the mistake of calling a winger a center?

Oh, and let's not forget, he did play CENTER at the WJC as well.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Is this the first time you've been happy with Minnesota's 1st round pick since all the way back when Gaborik was taken 3rd overall?
Well, I didn't mind the Sheppard pick. Cuma and Gilles would have been fine it we didn't trade for them. Leddy was decent as well.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:22 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Report on Granlund as an underage CENTER at the WJC

Finnish center Mikael Granlund is an underager at the World Junior Tournament, as evidenced by the full cage he is wearing. That’s not incredibly rare – every year there are a few draft eligible players sprinkled throughout the tournament. What really makes Granlund stand out among the underagers is that he is also an alternate captain for his team. That’s a big accomplishment for an underager at an international tournament.

Quote:
Granlund is a center. From every single report of Granlund mentions him to be a center.

So is two spots really that much of a difference? We saw how Fowler and Gormley fell, how Schwartz and Hishon rose. So because of 2 spots, u considered him high at #9????

EDIT: 2 spots mean he's where you expected him to be drafted. Not low, not high at #9.
As I posted earlier, a former Preds scout had him as the #3 player of the entire draft on his board.

Old
06-26-2010, 12:25 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Definitely a smart pick. I know some teams were trying to move up but something tells me, they were lower in the draft. Granlund would have been gone by then.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:26 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:

So TSN and ESPN aren't reports? He plays center? Both answers are no. Watch a video of him. He's not playing center and doesn't play up the center. If anything, he could try RW, like Patrick Kane, as he has the puck skills to play off-wing. If he's not playing C in SM-Liiga, it's a pipe dream to think he'll be one in the NHL.

#9 wasn't "high" as in a "reach". It was simply the high range for Granlund. We should not have been surprised that he was there at #9.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 06-26-2010 at 12:33 AM.