HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PHI trade Dan Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for 2011 3rd round pick

Old
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
flyersfan21

vCash: 500
FLYERS trade the rights to Hamhius

The FLYERS traded the rights to Dan Hmhius to Pittsburg fot the Penguins 3ed round pick in the 2011 draft

flyersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The obsession with trading with the Penguins is astounding. If the best deal on the table is the best deal, then you do it. Hopefully they give him a retarded contract and move on.
This.

Seriously, I still don't consider Hamhuis a #1 defenseman. Without Gonchar, their defense is still a joke.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Your proud of trading the guy to our rival? Hes a very good dman, they shouldn't be helping the Pens... No matter what. Its gonna bite us in the ass if he signs there.
Pens would have signed a good D-man out of free agency anyways. And Hamhuis never played with us, so he doesn't know our weaknesses.

I don't see the big deal..

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
The obsession with trading with the Penguins is astounding. If the best deal on the table is the best deal, then you do it. Hopefully they give him a retarded contract and move on.
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
sg12lw

can we make a poll. ive heard people saying that its good bc we got a 3rd for parent....i feel like its terrible...like to see where everyone stands

let him walk for a 7th

or

send him to pitt for a 3rd

i say let him walk for a 7th...i dont want to purposely make pitt harder to beat

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Mgkibbles

The 3rd round pick better be part of another trade and/or the Pens better overpay Hamuis big time or else Homer lost a huge gamble.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Centauris*

I wouldn't care... but it HAD to be Pittsburgh..

dear god

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
DNFlyers
Stunning. Holmgren said four other teams inquired about Hamhuis. They couldn't have taken less to send him to a non-division rival???

Homer took a shot and it did not work out. Now lets see what he has up his sleeve. If pitt pays more than 4 mill a year for Dan they are getting hosed big time.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:38 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.
How is this helping your rival out?

Now because they want to sign Hamhuis, that takes up the salary they would have saved for another good d-man in free agency.

Any way you look at it, Pens are signing a good D-man.

What if they were going to sign Paul Martin who would have played tremendous, but with this trade they sign Hamhuis. What if Hamhuis doesn't live up to the ridiculous hype Flyers and Van fans have built onto this guy, and signs a huge contract, leaving Pens in a salary hole?

Now the Flyers have helped themselves, and hindered the Pens.

Hamhuis never played with us, so the rivalry business is moot.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
can we make a poll. ive heard people saying that its good bc we got a 3rd for parent....i feel like its terrible...like to see where everyone stands

let him walk for a 7th

or

send him to pitt for a 3rd

i say let him walk for a 7th...i dont want to purposely make pitt harder to beat
But the Pens still have to sign him. I don't think Hamhuis is goign to sign anywhere prior to July 1st unless a deal comes along in his favor, which would not be in the team's favor. Besides, he said he wanted to test the market, maybe he still will.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post

Now because they want to sign Hamhuis, that takes up the salary they would have saved for another good d-man in free agency.

What if they were going to sign Paul Martin who would have played tremendous, but with this trade they sign Hamhuis. What if Hamhuis doesn't live up to the ridiculous hype Flyers and Van fans have built onto this guy, and signs a huge contract, leaving Pens in a salary hole?

You mean the hype built up by Nashville, Flyers fans who have seen him, and Van fans? Your not giving him enough credit. He is a very solid d-man. What if he signs for 4.5 mil a year? How about that? Anyway you look at it, we just helped the Pens out. They sign him for anything less then 5 mil a year, we lose the trade (if we dont draft a unknown superstar in the 3rd round).

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:

If we hold on to him and he doesn't sign with us, goes to Pittsburgh anyways, then I'd be pissed. Hamhuis had been part of those rumors, and I'd be interested to see what he had to say.

Anyways, I see the concerns for people who don't like it, but I'd rather trade him and have the pick no strings attached than hold on to him, be pissed off we gave up a player for him, and THEN have him sign with Pittsburgh.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Amateur Hour

Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

That said, getting Martin will cost more than Hamhuis... right?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post

i hope holmgren signs gonchar just to piss off the pens
no, actually i hope he signs volchenkov cuz that would be fun to watch =)

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get the biggest contract of any defenseman on the market.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
If we hold on to him and he doesn't sign with us, goes to Pittsburgh anyways, then I'd be pissed. Hamhuis had been part of those rumors, and I'd be interested to see what he had to say.

Anyways, I see the concerns for people who don't like it, but I'd rather trade him and have the pick no strings attached than hold on to him, be pissed off we gave up a player for him, and THEN have him sign with Pittsburgh.
Im not saying to hold on to him, quite to the contrary. I think trading to someone else not in the division would have been better. Thats what Im saying.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Well, if Hamhuis is lookin' for stupid money (probably so), or is adamant about testing the market (appears likely), then we really didn't help the Penguins at all.

The real mistake was trading for his rights in the 1st place when 1) Homer wasn't sure he could get a deal done, and 2) We didn't need another top-4 defenseman.

If he actually tried to address our needs (goalie), instead of adding to a strength (top-4), we would have never been in the position to trade Hamhuis's rights to anyone, let alone the Penguins.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
kammy

Quote:
I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get the biggest contract of any defenseman on the market.
kim will surely get the biggest contract =)

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
ArmchairGM

Maybe Holmgren knows Hamhuis won't sign for less then a complete overpayment. A 5 million dollar cap hit could be debilitating to the Pens.

Although given what been said regarding him not wanting to be a 5th defensemen, watch him sign with a cap hit less the 4.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Amateur Hour

Quote:
He's criminally underrated (seriously, who talks about Paul Martin?), and he was injured for a majority of last season. Maybe that will drive his price down? One can only hope. Regardless, I'd much rather spend $5M on Martin than Hamhuis. I wouldn't be angry about giving out that contract to him, whereas I would be if Homer gave it to Hamhuis.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

I've seen $5m mentioned in a column or two.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Well, if Hamhuis is lookin' for stupid money (probably so), or is adamant about testing the market (appears likely), then we really didn't help the Penguins at all.

The real mistake was trading for his rights in the 1st place when 1) Homer wasn't sure he could get a deal done, and 2) We didn't need another top-4 defenseman.

If he actually tried to address our needs (goalie), instead of adding to a strength (top-4), we would have never been in the position to trade Hamhuis's rights to anyone, let alone the Penguins.
100% agree. Homer took a HUGE shot in the dark there.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Foreverinour

hes not worth 4.5 mill. some sources say he wanted 5mil. who knows if pitts will even be able to sign him. maybe other GMs took advantage of the fact that we were having trouble signing him so they offered 4th round picks. who knows. not nhl ready yet injury prone parent for a 3rd is ok. shouldve been a better pick. as for nabokov, hes at the age where we can sign him for less and give him incentives.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
KaraLupin
카라

I know, but I'm just saying the premise for that is

A) He's played with our team, and knows our weaknesses, and the strengths of our rival, which will be his new team..

OR

B) There was no other good D-Men out there in free agency. Where we give Pens a D-Men they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency.

But in this situation

A) He never played with us, and wasn't in our division before

and

B) There was PLENTY of free agent D-men out there that are just as good if not better than Hamhuis, and would love for a chance to play on a team like the Pens.

Pens will get a good D-man either way, so I don't see why in this instance it matters if a possible signing came from us.. If there were no other good D-men in free agency, I would be mad. But there aren't so we can't say if this is gonna help or hinder either PHI or PIT here...

Old
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

At least we got something for him.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote