HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PHI trade Dan Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for 2011 3rd round pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
  #26
flyersfan21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Levittown
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
FLYERS trade the rights to Hamhius

The FLYERS traded the rights to Dan Hmhius to Pittsburg fot the Penguins 3ed round pick in the 2011 draft

flyersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
  #27
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The obsession with trading with the Penguins is astounding. If the best deal on the table is the best deal, then you do it. Hopefully they give him a retarded contract and move on.
This.

Seriously, I still don't consider Hamhuis a #1 defenseman. Without Gonchar, their defense is still a joke.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
  #28
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Your proud of trading the guy to our rival? Hes a very good dman, they shouldn't be helping the Pens... No matter what. Its gonna bite us in the ass if he signs there.
Pens would have signed a good D-man out of free agency anyways. And Hamhuis never played with us, so he doesn't know our weaknesses.

I don't see the big deal..

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
  #29
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The obsession with trading with the Penguins is astounding. If the best deal on the table is the best deal, then you do it. Hopefully they give him a retarded contract and move on.
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
  #30
sg12lw
Registered User
 
sg12lw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
can we make a poll. ive heard people saying that its good bc we got a 3rd for parent....i feel like its terrible...like to see where everyone stands

let him walk for a 7th

or

send him to pitt for a 3rd

i say let him walk for a 7th...i dont want to purposely make pitt harder to beat

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
  #31
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
The 3rd round pick better be part of another trade and/or the Pens better overpay Hamuis big time or else Homer lost a huge gamble.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
  #32
Centauris*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
I wouldn't care... but it HAD to be Pittsburgh..

dear god

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
  #33
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
DNFlyers
Stunning. Holmgren said four other teams inquired about Hamhuis. They couldn't have taken less to send him to a non-division rival???


Homer took a shot and it did not work out. Now lets see what he has up his sleeve. If pitt pays more than 4 mill a year for Dan they are getting hosed big time.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:38 PM
  #34
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.
How is this helping your rival out?

Now because they want to sign Hamhuis, that takes up the salary they would have saved for another good d-man in free agency.

Any way you look at it, Pens are signing a good D-man.

What if they were going to sign Paul Martin who would have played tremendous, but with this trade they sign Hamhuis. What if Hamhuis doesn't live up to the ridiculous hype Flyers and Van fans have built onto this guy, and signs a huge contract, leaving Pens in a salary hole?

Now the Flyers have helped themselves, and hindered the Pens.

Hamhuis never played with us, so the rivalry business is moot.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
  #35
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
can we make a poll. ive heard people saying that its good bc we got a 3rd for parent....i feel like its terrible...like to see where everyone stands

let him walk for a 7th

or

send him to pitt for a 3rd

i say let him walk for a 7th...i dont want to purposely make pitt harder to beat
But the Pens still have to sign him. I don't think Hamhuis is goign to sign anywhere prior to July 1st unless a deal comes along in his favor, which would not be in the team's favor. Besides, he said he wanted to test the market, maybe he still will.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
  #36
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
How is this helping your rival out?

Now because they want to sign Hamhuis, that takes up the salary they would have saved for another good d-man in free agency.

Any way you look at it, Pens are signing a good D-man.

What if they were going to sign Paul Martin who would have played tremendous, but with this trade they sign Hamhuis. What if Hamhuis doesn't live up to the ridiculous hype Flyers and Van fans have built onto this guy, and signs a huge contract, leaving Pens in a salary hole?

Now the Flyers have helped themselves, and hindered the Pens.

Hamhuis never played with us, so the rivalry business is moot.
You mean the hype built up by Nashville, Flyers fans who have seen him, and Van fans? Your not giving him enough credit. He is a very solid d-man. What if he signs for 4.5 mil a year? How about that? Anyway you look at it, we just helped the Pens out. They sign him for anything less then 5 mil a year, we lose the trade (if we dont draft a unknown superstar in the 3rd round).

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
  #37
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,620
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.

If we hold on to him and he doesn't sign with us, goes to Pittsburgh anyways, then I'd be pissed. Hamhuis had been part of those rumors, and I'd be interested to see what he had to say.

Anyways, I see the concerns for people who don't like it, but I'd rather trade him and have the pick no strings attached than hold on to him, be pissed off we gave up a player for him, and THEN have him sign with Pittsburgh.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
  #38
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

That said, getting Martin will cost more than Hamhuis... right?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
  #39
kammy
Registered User
 
kammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
How is this helping your rival out?

Now because they want to sign Hamhuis, that takes up the salary they would have saved for another good d-man in free agency.

Any way you look at it, Pens are signing a good D-man.

What if they were going to sign Paul Martin who would have played tremendous, but with this trade they sign Hamhuis. What if Hamhuis doesn't live up to the ridiculous hype Flyers and Van fans have built onto this guy, and signs a huge contract, leaving Pens in a salary hole?

Now the Flyers have helped themselves, and hindered the Pens.

Hamhuis never played with us, so the rivalry business is moot.

i hope holmgren signs gonchar just to piss off the pens
no, actually i hope he signs volchenkov cuz that would be fun to watch =)

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:41 PM
  #40
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,620
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

That said, getting Martin will cost more than Hamhuis... right?
I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get the biggest contract of any defenseman on the market.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:42 PM
  #41
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If we hold on to him and he doesn't sign with us, goes to Pittsburgh anyways, then I'd be pissed. Hamhuis had been part of those rumors, and I'd be interested to see what he had to say.

Anyways, I see the concerns for people who don't like it, but I'd rather trade him and have the pick no strings attached than hold on to him, be pissed off we gave up a player for him, and THEN have him sign with Pittsburgh.
Im not saying to hold on to him, quite to the contrary. I think trading to someone else not in the division would have been better. Thats what Im saying.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
  #42
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The idea is, you dont go and try to help your division rival out. It ussually comes and bites you in the ass.
Well, if Hamhuis is lookin' for stupid money (probably so), or is adamant about testing the market (appears likely), then we really didn't help the Penguins at all.

The real mistake was trading for his rights in the 1st place when 1) Homer wasn't sure he could get a deal done, and 2) We didn't need another top-4 defenseman.

If he actually tried to address our needs (goalie), instead of adding to a strength (top-4), we would have never been in the position to trade Hamhuis's rights to anyone, let alone the Penguins.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
  #43
kammy
Registered User
 
kammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get the biggest contract of any defenseman on the market.
kim will surely get the biggest contract =)

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
  #44
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Maybe Holmgren knows Hamhuis won't sign for less then a complete overpayment. A 5 million dollar cap hit could be debilitating to the Pens.

Although given what been said regarding him not wanting to be a 5th defensemen, watch him sign with a cap hit less the 4.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
  #45
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'd be surprised if Martin didn't get the biggest contract of any defenseman on the market.
He's criminally underrated (seriously, who talks about Paul Martin?), and he was injured for a majority of last season. Maybe that will drive his price down? One can only hope. Regardless, I'd much rather spend $5M on Martin than Hamhuis. I wouldn't be angry about giving out that contract to him, whereas I would be if Homer gave it to Hamhuis.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
  #46
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,950
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

That said, getting Martin will cost more than Hamhuis... right?
I've seen $5m mentioned in a column or two.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
  #47
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Well, if Hamhuis is lookin' for stupid money (probably so), or is adamant about testing the market (appears likely), then we really didn't help the Penguins at all.

The real mistake was trading for his rights in the 1st place when 1) Homer wasn't sure he could get a deal done, and 2) We didn't need another top-4 defenseman.

If he actually tried to address our needs (goalie), instead of adding to a strength (top-4), we would have never been in the position to trade Hamhuis's rights to anyone, let alone the Penguins.
100% agree. Homer took a HUGE shot in the dark there.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
  #48
Foreverinour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
hes not worth 4.5 mill. some sources say he wanted 5mil. who knows if pitts will even be able to sign him. maybe other GMs took advantage of the fact that we were having trouble signing him so they offered 4th round picks. who knows. not nhl ready yet injury prone parent for a 3rd is ok. shouldve been a better pick. as for nabokov, hes at the age where we can sign him for less and give him incentives.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
  #49
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
I know, but I'm just saying the premise for that is

A) He's played with our team, and knows our weaknesses, and the strengths of our rival, which will be his new team..

OR

B) There was no other good D-Men out there in free agency. Where we give Pens a D-Men they wouldn't have been able to get in free agency.



But in this situation

A) He never played with us, and wasn't in our division before

and

B) There was PLENTY of free agent D-men out there that are just as good if not better than Hamhuis, and would love for a chance to play on a team like the Pens.


Pens will get a good D-man either way, so I don't see why in this instance it matters if a possible signing came from us.. If there were no other good D-men in free agency, I would be mad. But there aren't so we can't say if this is gonna help or hinder either PHI or PIT here...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
  #50
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
At least we got something for him.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.