HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, 25th Overall to FLA for Ballard, Oreskovich

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2010, 10:42 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...redundant.aspx

Quote:
On trading the first round pick (after Tinordi and Bennett were gone):

"We didn't feel there were players there who would be able to help us for a number of years.
"We waited a long time to see if a couple players were going to be there, when they weren't there and we got to that point, we made the decision this was something we really had to do. There wasn't a player who could step in and help our team. We know Keith Ballard can step in to our team and play big minutes and make a real contribution."
Quote:
On July 1

"We're going to be active. There are still areas we want to address.
"We have lots of cap space and lots of opportunity."
Quote:
Letting go of Michael Grabner

"It was really difficult. But you have to include quality if you want quality in return, that's the nature of the NHL right now. We have a defenceman who is signed long term and signed through his key period and that was vital for us.
"This was a unique opportunity to improve our team and not be at risk.
"With Mason Raymond's emergence, with our lineup, it would have been very difficult for Michael to get in. If Mason continues to advance and gets into the 30-goal category, our third line can't be constituted with guys who are goal scoring players. We were fortunate to have that kind of redundancy so we could look at trade like this.
"Grabner is a really good player with big upside. But you're not going to get an NHL defenceman without giving up a player like that."
Quote:
Are you disappointed in Bernier?

"No, we had to fill holes when I got here and we filled a hole. We filled a need and he played well.
"We thought initially he might be able to play with the twins then Alex Burrows emerged as the perfect guy to play with them. So again, you have that redundancy and we were able to take advantage of it."
Hard to argue with him IMO. Bernier and Grabner were expendable. And he didn't shoot down at the possibility of adding another solid dman but wanted the insurance of getting at least one at a long contract.

06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
Something Ballard brings that the rest of our defense doesn't? Blocked Shots, he had 201 blocked shots last year (good for third in the league) which would have been almost 100 more than Edler's 115 that lead our team last year. None of our other d-men were even close to 100 blocked shots. That's a huge addition.
He also hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons. That vaults him up another few notches alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Hard to argue with him IMO. Bernier and Grabner were expendable. And he didn't shoot down at the possibility of adding another solid dman but wanted the insurance of getting at least one at a long contract.
It is perplexing when something of reason and logic is posted on these forums. He pretty much summed it up perfectly and I agree with his thought process. Bernier was still a misstep but only because of the cost. Nearly everyone on these forums loved the deal at the time.

Last edited by mrmyheadhurts: 06-25-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
just22
meat and taters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
The only way Gillis can salvage this in my opinion is him shipping off Bieksa for ANYTHING.
Who would you rather have instead of Ballard? Cause we're not guaranteed anything at free agency and sometimes you gotta overpay to get what you want.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
...Ballard is a solid two way defenceman...
I have no problem with Ballard as a player. I have a problem with what we gave up to get what is basically a pretty generic starting defenseman.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
DeveinedPgBc

looks good to me.a win at all costs kind of guy.great shot.fluid skating.tough and mean.beautiful

and i was pissed when i found out it was grabner i still think he has explosive potential.but hey, you gotta give to get.
we now have ballard and edler signed for the next three (five in ballard's case).who else do we add to this "new" core we are building?martin?i hope so! hammy?maybe.but i see the big picture as.....ZDENO CHARA next season.if we can lock up erhoff and sign chara, we will be brutal to play against for years to come.pipedream!!!!

Old
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
If they let him stick to the corners and be a lower-line grinder, he's serviceable. Not to the tune of a $2m cap hit, but not a liability. Just don't expect him to score, especially by sticking him in front of the net on the PP. His production there this year was actually worse than it was 5-on-5.
Thanks guys. Have a good night. Bally's good. Had a rough season, but he'll likely be between last season and the season before. He just does a lot better with a shut down guy on his paring. His hits will definitely lift you out of your seat.

06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
I think the reason Gillis moved Grabner and Bernier is because neither has shown the ability to be versatile role players you need to win a cup which is the ultimate goal. With the Top 6 pretty much set I think Gillis was looking to mix up the bottom six by bringing in a different mix of wingers. Grabner and Bernier weren't going to kill penalties next year, and weren't going to provide leadership role to a guy like Hodgson or Schroeder.

I think you'll see Gillis target some role players at forward in free agency that surround the talent up front.

If the canucks lose next year it won't be because they can't score goals, it'll be because they can't keep them out of their net.

Old
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Finally, voice of reason.

If we don't get Paul Martin, Ballard is as close to Martin as we could have possibly gotten, other than Kubina perhaps, but he's up there in age. We wanted another puck-moving defenseman, and we got one, signed long-term and to a very good contract, likely the same contract that it would have taken to sign Hamhuis or Michalek. Ballard easily brings more to the table than either Hamhuis or Michalek.

Old
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel04 View Post
not getting back another pick in this deal is unacceptable
- oreskovic mightve been a regular on florida, but really?
The way I see it, Bernier for Oreskovic is a wash or a slight upgrade for the Canucks, and cap friendly too, saving about 1.4 million. By the end of Bernier's time here, his main assignment was to stand in front of the net, and he didn't even do that well. I actually thought it might take assets to get rid of the guy, and we even get back a guy who actually can stand in front of the net. What's not to like there?

Grabner and the 25th pick for Ballard, yes please! Grabner was a boom or bust player when we drafted him, and he simply hasn't shown the competitive edge to be that boom player. Look at his play in the past few training camps and tell me that is a guy who's going to be a top-liner. Also, 5 of his 11 points this year came on the PP, in 20 games. He looks more like a career third liner than a top liner to me. Just who was he supposed to knock out of Vancouver's top 6 anyway?

From a cap perspective, we dumped $2.85M in salary and picked up $4.8M, meaning we're down $2M in cap space but up one top 4 D-man.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Third in the league!?

Wow I did not know that... Awesome...
It's more awesome that he didn't even miss a single game because of it

Old
06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I have no problem with Ballard as a player. I have a problem with what we gave up to get what is basically a pretty generic starting defenseman.
A generic defenseman that would have lead our defense in hits, blocked shots, and would have been second in EV/SH ice time per game on a defense core that was very comparable to ours.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Fan in the Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Think about how Ballard is going to explode on this team. He's never played on anything but horrible or mediocre teams before. Putting a player with his talent in all three zones on an offensive power house like this is going to produce an Ehrhoff like renaissance. Also Ballard brings a nice physical in your face element to our back end. I personally love this deal and don't see how anyone can see it as a negative. I'm a little upset that we gave up our first, but there was no obvious choice there at #25.

I'm really happy GM MG is our guy. What he's been doing and what he's been saying is in line with what I think a lot of us feel is the right direction for this team.
I was going to post something simillar pointing out Ballard has never played on a 'good' NHL team. I think playing on a team like the Canucks will finally give him a chance to excel. Ballard is plus skater, can move the puck, and plays physical. The only knock on him may be he doesn't have the size of a true #1 dman, but he has alot of those attributes. I think he instantly upgrades the Canucks over what we've had the past few seasons.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Finally, voice of reason.

If we don't get Paul Martin, Ballard is as close to Martin as we could have possibly gotten, other than Kubina perhaps, but he's up there in age. We wanted another puck-moving defenseman, and we got one, signed long-term and to a very good contract, likely the same contract that it would have taken to sign Hamhuis or Michalek. Ballard easily brings more to the table than either Hamhuis or Michalek.
I think Hamhuis defensively is alot better than Ballard.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post

From a cap perspective, we dumped $2.85M in salary and picked up $4.8M, meaning we're down $2M in cap space but up one top 4 D-man.
We have close to 10 million in cap space and around 13.5 million if we find a sucker to take Bieksa.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I think Hamhuis defensively is alot better than Ballard.
Not according to the numbers nor in my opinion from watching both play.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
GCM
Stork

Parabola is right, go watch the stuff at Canuck.com for Ballard.

Man if Frolik and Weiss can pass him those things and he can bury them then I know for SURE the Sedins are going to thread him some nice passes that he'll stuff in the back of the net.

Not to mention his toughness and hits, this trade looks amazing to me know.

Great move Gillis.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
A generic defenseman that would have lead our defense in hits, blocked shots, and would have been second in EV/SH ice time per game on a defense core that was very comparable to ours.
Which is why Gillis said he wasn't done yet. Regardless, I would love to have Mitchell back. That would make for an epic top six.

Ehrhoff-Salo
Ballard-Edler
Mitchell-UFA

Old
06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Not according to the numbers nor in my opinion from watching both play.
I'd agree, Ballard is a better defenseman then Hamhuis at both ends of the rink. It's probably between him and Ehrhoff for our #1 at this point.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in the Know View Post
I was going to post something simillar pointing out Ballard has never played on a 'good' NHL team. I think playing on a team like the Canucks will finally give him a chance to excel. Ballard is plus skater, can move the puck, and plays physical. The only knock on him may be he doesn't have the size of a true #1 dman, but he has alot of those attributes. I think he instantly upgrades the Canucks over what we've had the past few seasons.
If you ask me, after watching some video on Ballard... he looks like Kevin Bieksa used to. Undersized but solid, good skating with an offensive touch and plays with an edge.

Seriously... I think Ballard is Bieksa's replacement...

Old
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Timmy

Starting a new thread.

Closed Thread