HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHI trade Dan Hamhuis to Pittsburgh for 2011 3rd round pick

Old
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff

vCash: 500
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...amhuis/2/29015

Something for yinz guys to chew on. It may be true, it may be complete BS. We'll find out soon enough.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
100% agree. Homer took a HUGE shot in the dark there.
Yea, he sure did.

I don't mind taking some chances, and I think that's an admirable trait. That said, take a chance on something we really NEED, ya know, like a freakin' goaltender.

We need a cheap, solid, 3rd pair defenseman, not a Hamhuis (or Martin as others have suggested). Our biggest need is a goalie, so if our GM feels the need to take a risk, how about taking one that makes sense?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Diamond View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...amhuis/2/29015

Something for yinz guys to chew on. It may be true, it may be complete BS. We'll find out soon enough.
We were already aware of this, mate.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
We were already aware of this, mate.
My bad then

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverinour View Post
hes not worth 4.5 mill. some sources say he wanted 5mil. who knows if pitts will even be able to sign him. maybe other GMs took advantage of the fact that we were having trouble signing him so they offered 4th round picks. who knows. not nhl ready yet injury prone parent for a 3rd is ok. shouldve been a better pick. as for nabokov, hes at the age where we can sign him for less and give him incentives.
I'd really rather not sign Nabokov... in 8 playoff appearances as the starting goalie for the Sharks, he has posted a SV% above .910 only twice. He just seems to be the Jeff Carter of goalies. I don't necessarily think he's the answer. However, if he can be had for cheap ($4M range) on a 2-3 year deal, I guess it wouldn't be so terrible.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
thomaszwei

I can't believe you actually typed out "yinz".

Silly Pittsburgh dialect.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Calm down people, god. Hamhuis really isn't that good. I hope they overpay for him, it's not like this signing is going to be like trading Carter to the Penguins, what's Hamhuis going to do? I hope they think he is a suitable replacement for Gonchar and are dumb enough to think he'll anchor their first pairing. They will be rudely awakened. I never thought we'd sign Hamhuis, and I'm glad we're focusing on goaltending.

Nabokov doesn't suck. "Strong defensive team" in reference to the Sharks? Are you kidding me? Dan Boyle is average defensively, Murray is a decent #4, Vlasic has regressed, and Blake was on his last legs. All that and he managed to put up stellar numbers. Dude is a massive upgrade over Michael ****ing Leighton and we don't need Hamhuis if we get Nabokov.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Don't worry, you guys can laugh your butts off when the Penguins give him Gonchar's exact deal at $25 million over 5 years.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Bingo. He should not have made the trade if he didn't know for certain that he could seal the deal.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Diamond View Post
My bad then
No worries. It's one of a few different rumors out there about why a deal couldn't get done. I'm not going to be surprised if it's true and the Pens sign him to a reasonable deal.

Old
06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
RoDu

well we turned a 7th round pick into a third next year, what can you do

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Let me say... if we sign Paul Martin, I'll forget about Dan Hamhuis forever. Martin >>>>>> Hamhuis.

That said, getting Martin will cost more than Hamhuis... right?
Martin is actually the guy I like the most of all the dude's out there, I also don't know how the Devs can let him go if the contract is anything remotely reasonable. They need to re-sign him AND sign someone else good. Martin is good, but he's not really an alpha...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2080
http://www.csnphilly.com/06/25/10/Fl...161&feedID=695

Quote:
Holmgren and Penguins GM Ray Shero met four times during the draft about Hamhuis’ rights. The Flyers were hoping Shero would offer his 20th pick, but that would have required a larger deal.

The Flyers got a third-rounder. If Hamhuis signs, the Penguins are that much better and they already have a jump on the Flyers because they’ve won a Stanley Cup in the last two years and don’t figure to drop off.

“We couldn’t come to an agreement,” Holmgren said. “He’s a great all-around defenseman and he would have helped us.”

Holmgren said 3-4 teams had interest in Hamhuis.

Hamhuis’ agent, Wade Arnott, was seeking a four-year deal of at least $16 million. The problem wasn’t the money or length.

It was Hamhuis wanted to be a confirmed No. 3 d-man ahead of Braydon Coburn or Matt Carle. He wanted more minutes than he felt he could get playing as a No. 5.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
This is what irks me... it's, once again, Homer chasing shiny things and hemorrhaging assets that he doesn't need to lose. It's just part of the trend with him of giving up **** for no good reason...

For the record: I'm glad that we didn't give a bad contract to Hamhuis, and I'm glad we upgraded the 7th. That doesn't mean this isn't another example of management failure.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Jester

So, basically we could have had Hamhuis in here (an upgrade over Coburn/Carle) if Homer was planning to do the logical thing of making the secondary deal to bring in other assets for one of Coburn/Carle.

Wonderful.

I realize this isn't necessarily news... I just find it comical that Holmgren's bizarre roster plan is what fouled this up.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
RoDu

so he basically wanted to be guaranteed ice time rather than earning it, which if he's as good as we figured, he would have?

Old
06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...pittsburgh.php

Quote:
The hangup with Hamhuis signing in Philadelphia had nothing to do with money or the length of the contract, and more to do with Hamhuis wanting to be considered at least a top four defenseman. In Philadelphia he would have been top four, but CSNPhilly's Tim Panaccio told me that he wanted to be formally labeled the #3 defenseman before he signed.

Apparently the Flyers weren't willing to make that commitment.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Centauris*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Calm down people, god. Hamhuis really isn't that good. I hope they overpay for him, it's not like this signing is going to be like trading Carter to the Penguins, what's Hamhuis going to do? I hope they think he is a suitable replacement for Gonchar and are dumb enough to think he'll anchor their first pairing. They will be rudely awakened. I never thought we'd sign Hamhuis, and I'm glad we're focusing on goaltending.

Nabokov doesn't suck. "Strong defensive team" in reference to the Sharks? Are you kidding me? Dan Boyle is average defensively, Murray is a decent #4, Vlasic has regressed, and Blake was on his last legs. All that and he managed to put up stellar numbers. Dude is a massive upgrade over Michael ****ing Leighton and we don't need Hamhuis if we get Nabokov.

what are we giving up if we try to trade for his rights though?

Gagne?

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I don't buy that he would have been a #5 on our depth chart. He's better than Coburn and Carle. The guy would have gotten his minutes, he just didn't want to play here.

Old
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
How hard would it have been to guarantee he would be the #3 guy? 4 years at 16mil is a good deal for him.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So, basically we could have had Hamhuis in here (an upgrade over Coburn/Carle) if Homer was planning to do the logical thing of making the secondary deal to bring in other assets for one of Coburn/Carle.

Wonderful.
Yeah, if that's actually true and he signs for 4 mil in Pittsburgh, Holmgren failed really hard in this whole ordeal. Really, really hard.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
RoDu

I hope this guy gets booed when he comes to Philly, give him the same treatment Quebec gave Lindros, they chanted booooo waaaaa whenever he was on the ice

Old
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is what irks me... it's, once again, Homer chasing shiny things and hemorrhaging assets that he doesn't need to lose. It's just part of the trend with him of giving up **** for no good reason...

For the record: I'm glad that we didn't give a bad contract to Hamhuis, and I'm glad we upgraded the 7th. That doesn't mean this isn't another example of management failure.
This.

Homer seriously pisses me off. Get a legit starting goalie, a vet 3rd pair Dman, and lets roll. Homer got what he deserved with a "shot in the dark" for a defenseman we really didn't need.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
so he basically wanted to be guaranteed ice time rather than earning it, which if he's as good as we figured, he would have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I don't buy that he would have been a #5 on our depth chart. He's better than Coburn and Carle. The guy would have gotten his minutes, he just didn't want to play here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
How hard would it have been to guarantee he would be the #3 guy? 4 years at 16mil is a good deal for him.
This whole depth chart hiccup is odd, and I'm not sure I really want a player that is so concerned about having his ice time guaranteed to him in the summer rather than earning it in camp and games.

Whole situation is a mess.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalltalk10 View Post
what are we giving up if we try to trade for his rights though?

Gagne?
I highly doubt it. Picks. SJ has no leverage basically admitting that Nabby won't be returning, it would be bad asset management if they didn't get whatever they could for him.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote