HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Rights to Dan Hamhuis to Philly for Ryan Parent - Pick negated by trade

Old
06-25-2010, 11:51 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
So Nashville basically got Parent for.....nothing.

Who's the fool now?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I could hear Homer going D'oh! all the way from Pittsburgh.
That's funny. I know the Philly fans are saying that in the main board thread, lol.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Until we hear differently, and I've asked Jeremy from Cell Block 303 to ask around tomorrow at the draft, I'm changing the title to reflect the opinion that the trade is now simply the rights to Dan Hamhuis for Ryan Parent...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Until we hear differently, and I've asked Jeremy from Cell Block 303 to ask around tomorrow at the draft, I'm changing the title to reflect the opinion that the trade is now simply the rights to Dan Hamhuis for Ryan Parent...
So the pick is off the table?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So the pick is off the table?
That's what I've read. The Flyers got value for Hamhuis. Therefore the Predators are no longer on the hook for the conditional pick...

As I said, I asked Jeremy to ask Poile directly tomorrow...

Old
06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Having Parent is still terrific, IMO.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
I think this is a big question mark. He played 7 min a game in the playoffs when he wasn't a scratch. He's far from established in the NHL, and most Philly fans seem totally fine to let him go.

Could be terrific, or could be Craig Millar. Time will tell... If he turns into a solid NHL dman, it was good value. If he's given minutes by default and doesn't play well, we would've been better served getting an OK vet.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:57 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Sure it is, until he re-injures his back and misses another 30 games. Parent is a huge question mark on a blue line full of question marks.

I have to think Poile is banking on Blum and/or Josi/Ellis/Laakso (assuming we bring him back) making an impact at training camp and earning a roster spot. I can't imagine him being comfortable with the one-way contracts we have now when there is no clear-cut second-pairing defenseman among them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I'm just looking at this and the Forsberg deal becomes better and better with each year that passes.

"the Flyers traded him to the Nashville Predators, in exchange for Ryan Parent, Scottie Upshall, and Nashville's first and third round 2007 picks to boost Nashville's playoff run"

Then Nashville trades the rights to Hartnell and Timonen to Philly for the first back, (Jon Blum) and now, they get Parent back for the rights to Hamhuis.

All the players Nashville gave away were players they were going to lose and they only sacrificed a 3rd (Phil de Simone (Centre)) Guy who is in prospect hell. (UNH) and I'm not sure will develop into an NHL player. (Simply because of the UNH factor)

All I need now is a trade when Nashville trades Dan Ellis' rights to Philly for a pick. Seriously, I might wet myself.

And Nashville's 7th is conditional pick. If Philly does not sign Hamhuis per TSN.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325130
From a Flyers fan. When we look at the deal we got a steal Glad you are happy too.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:45 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Sure it is, until he re-injures his back and misses another 30 games. Parent is a huge question mark on a blue line full of question marks.

I have to think Poile is banking on Blum and/or Josi/Ellis/Laakso (assuming we bring him back) making an impact at training camp and earning a roster spot. I can't imagine him being comfortable with the one-way contracts we have now when there is no clear-cut second-pairing defenseman among them.
At worst he's cheap depth with upside that you obtained practically for free. As a Flyers fan, I wish roles were reversed.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:35 AM
RollingPredFan

I don't see how getting a player for nothing is bad lol

Even if he doesn't pan out!

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The Tennessean does it again

Pittsburgh Penguins trade Dan Hamhuis to Philadelphia Flyers

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:21 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I don't see how getting a player for nothing is bad lol

Even if he doesn't pan out!
Simple- if he makes the team worse... If he's given minutes by default and doesn't play well.

Assuming he gets a one-way contract, we'll have 4 young unproven defensemen the lineup next year. Sulzer, Parent, Franson, Klien- all will likely have one-way contracts.

The other option would have been to sign a vet like Mark Eaton for not a lot of money.

I'm not saying it was the wrong move, I just don't know. I watched most all the Philly playoff games and only noticed Parent a couple of times, mainly because he was barely on the ice. But at the least, it's a big question mark if we hand him a top 6 role next year.

My biggest Q is if our defense is set? Or do we plan to sign a decent vet? The Poile in me thinks it's option #1.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Simple- if he makes the team worse... If he's given minutes by default and doesn't play well.

Assuming he gets a one-way contract, we'll have 4 young unproven defensemen the lineup next year. Sulzer, Parent, Franson, Klien- all will likely have one-way contracts.

The other option would have been to sign a vet like Mark Eaton for not a lot of money.

I'm not saying it was the wrong move, I just don't know. I watched most all the Philly playoff games and only noticed Parent a couple of times, mainly because he was barely on the ice. But at the least, it's a big question mark if we hand him a top 6 role next year.

My biggest Q is if our defense is set? Or do we plan to sign a decent vet? The Poile in me thinks it's option #1.
Based on what I remember about Parent's skating stride from back in prospect camp to what I saw him do in the playoffs...it was clear that he was not fully recovered from his back surgery.

His longer, more upright stride was due to his back injury. This summer I hope he is afforded the proper recovery time, works hard to strengthen the area, and comes into camp ready to resume his career.

I think with the coaching change in Philadelphia this season that Parent rushed back to avoid losing his roster spot. He will not be rushed here and they know better than anyone what his baseline stride and skill levels are...

Old
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Suck it, Vancouver!

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Your GM just paid 4.5 mil for a player that doesn't even collect points on an every other game basis

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Hamhuis to Vancouver. Ellis to TB, Boyd unsigned. Can you hear Poile chuckling like a maniacal mad man right now?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Let's see... Weber 4.5. Suter 3.5. Hamhuis 4.5

Poile isn't too bad

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Hamhuis to Vancouver. Ellis to TB, Boyd unsigned. Can you hear Poile chuckling like a maniacal mad man right now?
I think we all knew Hamhuis would break down and accept less money to play in Vancouver. But otherwise, as long as they stay to the East...I'm fine with it...

Old
07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Your GM just paid 4.5 mil for a player that doesn't even collect points on an every other game basis
The Canucks had the highest scoring defense in the NHL last year - I don't think they're too worried about Hamhuis' underwhelming offensive game.

Keep in mind Dan Hamhuis led the Nashville defense with 23 points at even strength. Not bad for a one dimensional defensive player. That's certainly well above average in terms of point production 5 on 5 for dmen.

Nashville didn't need Hamhuis, nor could they afford him. The Canucks did need him and could afford him. That's all there is to it.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Vancouver made it to the second round, I'm not sure if Poile is laughing at them.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Hamhuis really isn't that bad offensively. He does not have a great shot, but he has good wheels, pretty good instincts, and a good first pass. He just is not on the level of Suter/Weber/Franson or Klein for that matter.

07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
rmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
It's not easy for a defenceman in a defensive/PK role with no power play time on a team with below average forwards to score points. He's a 2-way Dman outside of Nashville and he'll hit at least 35 with the Canucks.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Not really, Vancouver will actually get past the first round, Tampa has had more success than Nashville ever, and has a new GM. Boyd signed tonight in MTL. Poile wishes he's had the same success if you ask me.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
It's not easy for a defenceman in a defensive/PK role with no power play time on a team with below average forwards to score points. He's a 2-way Dman outside of Nashville and he'll hit at least 35 with the Canucks.
don't be that guy...

Hamhuis didn't put up the numbers when we were loaded with offense either and he was on the first pairing with Kimmo then.

Besides, Nashville's lack of talent up front hasn't stopped Weber or Suter from putting up good numbers.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote