HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract for Hamhuis

Old
06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
It seems it's more the problem of that he thinks he will be used as the 5th d-man, which is why he won't sign...

Link
That makes no sense to be honest

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Eklund (I know, I know) is saying Hamhuis could be dealt... This guy is just saying every possibility that could happen and he'll claim he was right after.

He has "reported" 3 different scenarios in the last 3 days, what a ******...
With all due respect to his history, Eklund has been on fire lately. He got the scoop on the Chicago trade first, and he had Recchi signed before I saw anyone else have it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:20 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Now THAT doesn't make any sense.
if that is the sticking point, i dont believe it is, then Shooter should have already told him he will be on the 2nd pair with Kimmo playing 22 minutes a night. That would pretty much c;ear that up real quick no? Unless they really want Hamuis on the 3rd pair which would be idiotic to pay someoen that much to be a bottom pairing guy.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
gee what GM would deal for his rights? no Gm would do that now would they? That would be foolish so it has been said by many yet this is exactly what will happen if they dont sign him
Well, if true it's his playing time, Sharks would be interested. We'd slot him at the 2 or 3 so he would get minutes. And $4m/4yrs would be fine for us.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

DNFlyers

Flyers have traded rights to Dan Hamhuis to Penguins for 3rd round pick in next year's draft. WOWOWOWOWOW.

Gagne - Richards - Carcillo
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Laperriere

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
TBD - Bartulis

TBD
TBD

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Jester

I hate Holmgren.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well, he's gone. Close the thread please.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
DNFlyers

Flyers have traded rights to Dan Hamhuis to Penguins for 3rd round pick in next year's draft. WOWOWOWOWOW.

Gagne - Richards - Carcillo
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Laperriere

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
TBD - Bartulis

TBD
TBD
Nabokov? How much?
Boucher - co-existed well before in SJ, right?

Only thing left is 5D.

Getting a 3rd for Hamhuis' rights isn't bad.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Nabokov? How much?
Boucher - co-existed well before in SJ, right?

Only thing left is 5D.

Getting a 3rd for Hamhuis' rights isn't bad.
True, but that's not what this amounts to. It amounts to Ryan Parent for a 2011 3rd rounder. That's terrible asset management.

Old
06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
True, but that's not what this amounts to. It amounts to Ryan Parent for a 2011 3rd rounder. That's terrible asset management.
Asset Management, no secret is something I'm huge on, but this isn't one where I'm going to rip into him.

Considering where Parent was at in this organization, I'm okay with that. To skip words I've used before, based on Parent's time with the team, there isn't a lot of room in the NHL for guys like him right now. If the Flyers improve on defense (Bartulis passed him on the depth chart, or another move, someone else makes the team, etc.) Obvious Laviolette wasn't a fan either. I think there was a legitimate chance that Parent wasn't going to be among the top 7 defensemen on the team had he stayed. A 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't going to be used isn't so bad. We would have only had one or the other, and since we weren't going to have Hamhuis and Parent was dropping on the depth chart, I'll take this.

Plus, how good are the chances we take this pick and send it to the Sharks for Nabokov? I would prefer not to, but you know having an extra draft pick than we had an hour ago, he'll be parading it around finding something to do with it.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Asset Management, no secret is something I'm huge on, but this isn't one where I'm going to rip into him.

Considering where Parent was at in this organization, I'm okay with that. To skip words I've used before, based on Parent's time with the team, there isn't a lot of room in the NHL for guys like him right now. If the Flyers improve on defense (Bartulis passed him on the depth chart, or another move, someone else makes the team, etc.) Obvious Laviolette wasn't a fan either. I think there was a legitimate chance that Parent wasn't going to be among the top 7 defensemen on the team had he stayed. A 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't going to be used isn't so bad. We would have only had one or the other, and since we weren't going to have Hamhuis and Parent was dropping on the depth chart, I'll take this.

Plus, how good are the chances we take this pick and send it to the Sharks for Nabokov? I would prefer not to, but you know having an extra draft pick than we had an hour ago, he'll be parading it around finding something to do with it.
Parent was hurt this year... and they admitted as much after the season. I'm not sure a healthy Parent is left off the top 6 in favor of Bartulis. At the very least, he was a good option to have in camp battling for the 3rd pairing. At ~1M there is very little reason to move him like this given our cap situation. It isn't like we have someone cheaper (admittedly this may change) as of now that can come in and be in that role.

We're in "win now" mode and we just gave up a cheap, bottom of the roster player... and when healthy, Parent was a good player for us.

I also don't see the friggin impetus to trade for Nabokov's rights... do we really think there are a slew of teams banging down the door for his rights? If we don't get Nabby is that really a huge loss against the rest of the goalie market?

Old
06-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
if that is the sticking point, i dont believe it is, then Shooter should have already told him he will be on the 2nd pair with Kimmo playing 22 minutes a night. That would pretty much c;ear that up real quick no? Unless they really want Hamuis on the 3rd pair which would be idiotic to pay someoen that much to be a bottom pairing guy.
I wouldn't be surprised if they planned on having him on the third pairing. Coburn and Carle aren't good enough to anchor a pairing. A Coburn/Carle - Bartulis pairing might be scary. If they had Hamhuis on the third pairing they'd have 3 strong pairings. Of course like you said it would be completely idiotic to pay that much for a bottom pairing guy, but it is Homer.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Honestly I am not upset with Parent for a low third -- and what happens to the conditional pick from the Preds? We didn't sign Hamhuis -- I have not been a Parent fan since he's been here, and I question his sturdiness and physical condition; he seems to be a player who is hurt quite often, and he may not have a good back situation.

But that is not my concern, either way it shook out... Not only am I upset that Hamhuis was not signed, I am much more upset that he was dealt to the arch rival Penguins. You've heard of the dreded four point games? The swing that compounds and doubles the deficit... Well the Flyers are short a third pair D-man who can play decent minutes... and short such a talent as Hamhuis... and the Pens have the opportunity of signing that very same D-man to fill a need. The swing can mean the difference in the seedings of the two clubs, and maybe determine a potential playoff series between the two.

We have to now pray that Homer can nab another D-man of that calibre... and pray that the Pens cannot come to terms with Hamhuis.

... This is not good news no matter how it is looked at. There better be a method to their madness... but what could be planned that would erase the Pens becoming a better team thanks to our management? And I am a Homer guy.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they planned on having him on the third pairing. Coburn and Carle aren't good enough to anchor a pairing. A Coburn/Carle - Bartulis pairing might be scary. If they had Hamhuis on the third pairing they'd have 3 strong pairings. Of course like you said it would be completely idiotic to pay that much for a bottom pairing guy, but it is Homer.
I may be crazy, but I was hoping to work a five D-man rotation that would with the help of special teams spread the minutes around with all five getting a good number of TOI, and Pronger and Kimo getting postseason saving relief.

That said I don't really want to see Carle separated from Pronger very much... so Lay would have had to be creative in the rotation. But that is now a moot point.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Parent was hurt this year... and they admitted as much after the season. I'm not sure a healthy Parent is left off the top 6 in favor of Bartulis. At the very least, he was a good option to have in camp battling for the 3rd pairing. At ~1M there is very little reason to move him like this given our cap situation. It isn't like we have someone cheaper (admittedly this may change) as of now that can come in and be in that role.

We're in "win now" mode and we just gave up a cheap, bottom of the roster player... and when healthy, Parent was a good player for us.

I also don't see the friggin impetus to trade for Nabokov's rights... do we really think there are a slew of teams banging down the door for his rights? If we don't get Nabby is that really a huge loss against the rest of the goalie market?

tpanotch

Sharks GM Doug Wilson confirms 2 teams wants Nabokov's rights. This is going to drag into tomorrow w/Flyers and someone else.

I hope we get outbid by whoever else wants him because I sure don't want that loser

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:44 AM
tuckrr

do we keep the conditional pick that we got also?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
do we keep the conditional pick that we got also?
Nope.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
....when healthy.....

Slipped discs are like dislocated shoulders. They're never the same, and if it's happened once, it gets easier and easier for it happen again.

Quote:
Bang on. I can't ******* stand Nabokov on this team when I consider the other options out there and the $ he's gonna want.

CHRIS MASON. CAN YOU HEAR ME PAUL? CHRIS MASON.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I dont want Chris Mason.
he does nothing at all for me.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I dont want Chris Mason.
he does nothing at all for me.
The puck hits him, a lot. I'm into it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:01 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The puck hits him, a lot. I'm into it.
Agreed. And he'll come with a lower price tag than Nabokov.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
I'd like to go for a goalie around $3M ideally, but the Nabokov hate here is ridiculous. If he would sign for $4.5 or less on a 2-3 year deal, I take him.

Some of you are on the word of Sharks fans or saying he choked when he got left out to dry in the Olympics, and was likely tired after the Sharks played him in 71 regular season games in addition to the Olympics. If he came here, I would expect him to play around 60 games, and be much fresher for the playoffs.

He's not my first choice, but would you really rather have had Hamhuis and tried to squeeze in a goalie and possibly be left with Leighton again?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I'd like to go for a goalie around $3M ideally, but the Nabokov hate here is ridiculous. If he would sign for $4.5 or less on a 2-3 year deal, I take him.

Some of you are on the word of Sharks fans or saying he choked when he got left out to dry in the Olympics, and was likely tired after the Sharks played him in 71 regular season games in addition to the Olympics. If he came here, I would expect him to play around 60 games, and be much fresher for the playoffs.

He's not my first choice, but would you really rather have had Hamhuis and tried to squeeze in a goalie and possibly be left with Leighton again?
He QUIT. It wasn't that he got lit up. He quit on his team.

Last thing I ever want to see from a goalie at this level.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Nabokov is a choker

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1457
Tim P has a new column on Hockeybuzz...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...Scenes/2/29038

Quote:
This GM told me the "best" offer the Flyers had was a 5th round pick for Hamhuis. They were gonna go back to Philly knowing that was the market if they could not sign him next week.

Then Ray Shero finally realized that Sergei Gonchar is not going to re-sign. Shero met with Holmgren 4 times on Friday - we counted them - and upped the ante to a 3rd round pick.

“You gotta make that deal if you think it’s no better than 50-50 you sign the kid," this GM told me. "No one else would have given Philly a third-rounder. [Holmgren] had his rights for 8 days and turned it into a third-round pick. That’s pretty damn good.”

That's why the Flyers bailed right then on Hamhuis instead of going into next week.
Quote:
I would have agreed on Coburn but not Carle. The Flyers were not going to split up Chris Pronger and Carle for Hamhuis. Their intention was to make their 3rd pair stronger. Their intention was to never again get caught on the ice in a SC Final with their 3rd pair hung out to dry in 2 games for 2 critical goals. They were willing to overpay on a guy to make sure that 3rd pair was rock solid.

It wasn't money. You all know the Flyers overpay for everyone. I spoke to a number of people n Newport Sports Group. Hamhuis wanted to be the third cog here very badly. It meant that much to him - more than money.

Okay, Nabokov ...

Looks to me the Flyers are trying to buy time for Sergei Bob Bobrovsky, Johan Backlund and Joacim Eriksson. One of them is expected to emerge as the No. 1 within a year or so. I think the Flyers overstocked with prospects in goal with the intention of creating a competition to bring forth one guy. Which is what you should do at every position in your organization.

Sources told me late Saturday the Flyers likely have the inside track on Nabokov, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson also told me during a scrum with others that he was willing to go back to SJ if need be after the draft to see how this plays out. There's another team out there who also wants Nabokov's rights.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote