HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the 15th pick, the Kings select Derek Forbort

Old
06-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Cook24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Nice avatar Bon. Damn good movie.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:28 AM
funky

now that he has made the safe pick, I hope he trades up for a wild card, home run type like Kabanov or McFarland.

funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
now that he has made the safe pick, I hope he trades up for a wild card, home run type like Kabanov or McFarland.
Agreed. Someone over on letsgokings.com said he ran into Kabanov today...Kabanov said he thought the kings, sharks, and red wings showed the most interest. I can definitely see DL going after him.

To come out with Forbort and Kabanov would be as good as the Ducks Fowler/Etem picks, if not better.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:55 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I don't know why for the life of me, people are crying about Etem not being picked...other than the fact Etem being a "cali kid". You guys with the Etem crush ever wonder why the rest of the NHL besides the Quacks passed on him? Maybe...just maybe he wasn't that good on all the teams board.

Judging from Dean's draft comments, it sounds like he had some Defensemen rated higher than the forwards, and that this years draft crop isn't that great. Also Dean going is pretty patient with Forbort and this guy is going to work on his game for a while. While it isn't a bad thing to have too many highly rated D-prospects. I don't forsee any trades of Teubert or Hickey any time soon.

I am not that surprised he went for Forbort, I do remember in one of the many interviews Dean has given, he had stated he wished he had Nashville's crop of D-man prospects. Well Dean...we got there pretty quickly.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:01 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post

To come out with Forbort and Kabanov would be as good as the Ducks Fowler/Etem picks, if not better.
Won't be hard to find a pair of draft picks that are better than Fowler/Etem. Ducks had the worst draft of the day. When you think of the fact that so many teams passed on Etem...and Fowler dropped like a rock...makes you wonder why so many hockey knowledgeable scouts and G.M.'s passed these two on...clearly they were overrated by most involved in this process.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:16 AM
kingbrath

REWIND-----5 years ago...we were a team that nobody would be scared of.....NOW we are a contender. Hitting a projected 11 pick at 15 is GREAT! hitting another dman at 15 is GREAT. Dmen take a long time to develop...under Dean....let it happen. BUILD FROM THE BACK! Everyone sais dmen take the longest to produce...so y not keep the stock fresh! I am VERY happy with this pick!

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I think this could be a good pick. There were some other players I liked a little better, but hopefully we've add another key d-man with a lot of upside in Forbort.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:35 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings4ever View Post
It may be some time before we see this, but DAMN it will be cool to see!!
I just love your avatar! Wow!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Everyone seems to be high on Forbort, both on and off the ice. I love this pick, especially with the disappointments of a couple of our other defense prospects we drafted in recent years.

Are we thin on the wing? Absolutely, but we aren't exactly loaded on defense either. I think VV is the only for sure thing before this pick.

This is the kind of defenseman you draft in the first round, a big body with unlimited upside.

Great pick!

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:56 AM
SuperAlmeida

Forbort:

"Here's a kid who wasn't even here last year and has just risen right to the top," former NTDP coach Kurt Kleinendorst said. "He's got size, intelligence and a great compete level. It doesn't really surprise me to see him at the top. The best way to describe Derek is that it just comes natural and so easy to him."

Said NHL scout Jack Barzee: "He's probably a top-two defenseman in the NHL if he reaches his potential."

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Johnny Utah

"He could use a bit of grit to this game." Ugh.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Won't be hard to find a pair of draft picks that are better than Fowler/Etem. Ducks had the worst draft of the day. When you think of the fact that so many teams passed on Etem...and Fowler dropped like a rock...makes you wonder why so many hockey knowledgeable scouts and G.M.'s passed these two on...clearly they were overrated by most involved in this process.
I think you've had your homer glasses on too long. There was obviously a serious need for scoring fowards that dropped Fowler down to 12th.

I have no idea what the Rangers were thinking tho..

Takao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

very very very pleased with our pick

In Dean we trust

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:03 AM
SuperAlmeida

Woodlief wrote:

“When discussion at the rink turns to the top available defensemen, the names Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormleyare invariably mentioned first, with some scouts throwing out names like Erik Gudbranson, Stephen Johns and Mark Pysyk based on their own personal preferences.

At RLR, we feel that Fowler and Gormley are nice players, but frankly, we can’t even agree with most of the expressed opinions on the top end anymore. RLR has been mildly disappointed of late with both Fowler and Gormley, and while both are nice players who should make fine pros, let’s face it — there’s not a Doughty, Bogosian, or Hedman in the bunch. Or even a Pietrangelo or pre-knee injury Erik Johnson, for that matter.

In fact, it is our growing suspicion that it’s entirely possible that five years down the road, the best of this year’s crop might be neither Fowler nor Gormley, but rather huge Minnesota native Derek Forbort instead.

Forbort is still raw, as he was playing Minnesota high school hockey just last year. But he has come so far, so fast in his first half season with the U.S. National U-18 Team. And with his size, strength, skating ability, and physical tools, Forbort may just present the highest upside of any defender in this class.”

http://www.goduluthschools.com/?p=4739

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I'm also wondering, and this is sort of an obvious thought but, does this now mean several of our D prospects are now available?

I'm sure sending one of Hickey or Teubert plus one of the lesser D prospects may make sense to acquire a solid veteran D-man partner for JJ. There were definitely some moves made yesterday that told me some teams are rebuilding for sure and more than one team is shedding salary right now. Maybe Florida or Boston has someone we can use?

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Forbort seems like a great kid & a great pick, BUT...

...there sure have been a lot of Minnesota HS defensemen picked in the 1st round in recent years who haven't been heard from again.

(This isn't a criticism, just a point of discussion. DL is doing a great job IMO.)

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Forbort seems like a great kid & a great pick, BUT...

...there sure have been a lot of Minnesota HS defensemen picked in the 1st round in recent years who haven't been heard from again.

(This isn't a criticism, just a point of discussion. DL is doing a great job IMO.)
This may be a concern...another concern is while we have all of these great prospects and picks, name one prospect that the Kings have developed in the minors and has or is about to have NHL impact since DL took over. Other than Jon Bernier, I can't even think of one. Johnson and Doughty did their thing in the NHL, same with Simmonds.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This may be a concern...another concern is while we have all of these great prospects and picks, name one prospect that the Kings have developed in the minors and has or is about to have NHL impact since DL took over. Other than Jon Bernier, I can't even think of one. Johnson and Doughty did their thing in the NHL, same with Simmonds.

- R
Why doesn't Simmonds count? He didn't make the team right out of the draft, got better after the first development camp, and went back to juniors w/ instructions of what to work on.

DL and Co did a great job of developing Quick as well.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post

I wouldn't call a big part of the USNTDP U-18 team a "Minnesota HS defenseman" at this point.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Why doesn't Simmonds count? He didn't make the team right out of the draft, got better after the first development camp, and went back to juniors w/ instructions of what to work on.

DL and Co did a great job of developing Quick as well.
Quick was rushed a little. Dean has admitted that. But, he didn't have much of a choice. He came in and shined.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Fat Elvis

It'll be interesting to see after a few years of drafting players that should/could play almost immediately if us fans can be patient with Forbort. I'm good with letting him play 3+ years at ND and getting good coaching and playing time, then a year or two down in the AHL. Sounds like most believe, with the right training and coaching, this kid has legit potential. Hope he gets the time to develop, seems like a really good, coachable kid. Like the pick.

Day 2 has been very good for DL and company in the past, it should be fun to track.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

Too early to throw the towel out on Hickey and Teubert.

We won't see Forbort in LA for three or four years.

Rather of gambled on Tarasenko honestly, but Forbort could pay off in the long run.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Not too many defensemen come out of Minnesota high school and make it to the NHL. Brett Hedican and Phil Housley are the only two to have had a long NHL career so far. Those are a couple of good ones, but only 2 out of about 100 selected since 1979.

06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

When looking at the top 30 players this year, i'm must have skipped right over Forbort. That said, the more i read, the more i like this pick.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote