HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Ex-Maple Leafs grinder Hoglund makes Florida's top line

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Ex-Maple Leafs grinder Hoglund makes Florida's top line

Canadian Press

Jonas Hoglund, who was let go by the Toronto Maple Leafs last spring, is skating on the Florida Panthers' top line.

Hoglund, a free agent when GM Rick Dudley signed him for $650,000 US, is being used by coach Mike Keenan alongside Olli Jokinen and Viktor Kozlov.

"I like to consider myself a skilled player and when you play with two players as talented as Olli and Vik, it has the chance to be a very good line," Hoglund told the Sun-Sentinel. "We've scored some nice goals this week and I think it can continue."

Hoglund had 13 goals and 19 assists last season. His best year in Toronto was 1999-2000 when he had 29 goals and 27 assists.

Hoglund is 6-3 and 220 pounds, Jokinen is 6-3 and 215 and Kozlov is 6-5 and 233.

"If the coaches do decide to keep Hoglund on that left side and if there's chemistry there, that could be one of the biggest lines in the NHL," said Dudley.

http://canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...RIEF/309270011

Old
09-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Canadian Press

Jonas Hoglund, who was let go by the Toronto Maple Leafs last spring, is skating on the Florida Panthers' top line.

Hoglund, a free agent when GM Rick Dudley signed him for $650,000 US, is being used by coach Mike Keenan alongside Olli Jokinen and Viktor Kozlov.

"I like to consider myself a skilled player and when you play with two players as talented as Olli and Vik, it has the chance to be a very good line," Hoglund told the Sun-Sentinel. "We've scored some nice goals this week and I think it can continue."

Hoglund had 13 goals and 19 assists last season. His best year in Toronto was 1999-2000 when he had 29 goals and 27 assists.

Hoglund is 6-3 and 220 pounds, Jokinen is 6-3 and 215 and Kozlov is 6-5 and 233.

"If the coaches do decide to keep Hoglund on that left side and if there's chemistry there, that could be one of the biggest lines in the NHL," said Dudley.

This is good news. I have him in my pool.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:42 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i think nilson played on that line last yr
they dont have much to choose from

Old
09-28-2003, 07:46 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Canadian Press

I'm happy for Hoglund....I knew someone would find a spot for him on their team.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:34 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i think nilson played on that line last yr
they dont have much to choose from
I think if Hoggy went back to his wooden stick and got away from that synergy stick he would get back to scoring 30 goals. his production really dropped when he switched sticks.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:03 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
I wonder when the TO columnists find out about this...

Old
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Stephen

I hope Hoglund doesn't become another Cory Cross, some average player the press makes out to be some big deal. I think the loss of Yanic Perreault was more significant, and it wasn't.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:02 PM
randynicholson

vCash:
Quote:
Canadian Press

Thanks for the important information. Now my life is truly complete.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Leaf Army

Hey it wasn't that long ago that Hoglund was playing on OUR top line. And he was terrible...remember?

Old
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Hey it wasn't that long ago that Hoglund was playing on OUR top line. And he was terrible...remember?
True, but that wasn't really a reflection of the team's forward depth. It was more about Quinn's attempt to balance team scoring.

Hoglund is a good guy, though. I'm glad someone offered him a contract. Florida's obviously on the opposite end of the league than Toronto, but he won't have to worry about all the mudslinging the Toronto media did to him on a regular basis.

It makes one wonder what type of value he would hold to a team if he was a very physical player. He's got good speed to go along with a very large frame. He has the tools to be a very good checking line player.

In any case, best of luck to him.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:10 PM
sluggo*

Hes on the top line of a team that won't make the playoffs and is full of young players who have yet to reach their potential (expecpt Luongo, who was drafted using a traded away Toronto draft pick, good job). If/when guys like Weiss, Huselius, Nilson, Horton etc.... all start playing totheir full potential do you really think Hoglund will be a top liner? Plus Dudley has always liked Hoglund and wanted him to play for him - Waters said back when Lecavalier was almost traded to the Leafs it was Hoglund and Kaberle/Antropov (he wouldn't say which, just hinted it was one of them)and I think he said a pick going to Tampa for him

Old
09-30-2003, 08:26 PM
ArtVandelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Hes on the top line of a team that won't make the playoffs and is full of young players who have yet to reach their potential (expecpt Luongo, who was drafted using a traded away Toronto draft pick, good job). If/when guys like Weiss, Huselius, Nilson, Horton etc.... all start playing totheir full potential do you really think Hoglund will be a top liner? Plus Dudley has always liked Hoglund and wanted him to play for him - Waters said back when Lecavalier was almost traded to the Leafs it was Hoglund and Kaberle/Antropov (he wouldn't say which, just hinted it was one of them)and I think he said a pick going to Tampa for him
I believe I heard him say it was two good young guys who are both on the team now, in addition to a high pick. Which to me, it meant it had to be Kaberle+Antropov+1st.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I hope Hoglund doesn't become another Cory Cross, some average player the press makes out to be some big deal. I think the loss of Yanic Perreault was more significant, and it wasn't.
Well he had more then ample opportunity here, and had plenty of opprtunities with talented players to make his mark with a club that has no lack of veteran teachers.
If he is to come into his own in Florida it won't be due to lack of a chance in Toronto.

10-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Plus Dudley has always liked Hoglund and wanted him to play for him - Waters said back when Lecavalier was almost traded to the Leafs it was Hoglund and Kaberle/Antropov (he wouldn't say which, just hinted it was one of them)and I think he said a pick going to Tampa for him
Man, that's not what he said at all. Somehow I'm not surprised though.

Actually Watters said, "Two young guys on the team that everyone always asks about (Antropov, Kaberle) a young prospect who's no longer with the team (Boyes) and a 1st round pick.

So the trade would have been Antropov, Kaberle, Boyes, 1st for Lecavalier.

And the Lightning turned it down.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:59 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I wouldn't make a big deal about it. He was on Toronto's top line also for a while and then slacked off. Hogy is just to darn inconsistant and has hands of stone. Though he has speed and is a good forchecker and should help Florda...

Old
10-01-2003, 04:25 AM
CaputMortuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
I wouldn't make a big deal about it. He was on Toronto's top line also for a while and then slacked off. Hogy is just to darn inconsistant and has hands of stone. Though he has speed and is a good forchecker and should help Florda...
Yup, Never seen someone make hitting the post look so beautiful.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:43 AM
Joey24

Lol I hear ya...

Old
10-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeakinMeehan16
Yup, Never seen someone make hitting the post look so beautiful.
He didn't start hitting the post so much until after he switched sticks. He went from wood to the synergy and it was all downhill from there.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
He didn't start hitting the post so much until after he switched sticks. He went from wood to the synergy and it was all downhill from there.
Maybe he'll switch back... Oh anyone know how he's been doing with the panthers thus far.????

Old
10-01-2003, 09:00 AM
iStillBeLeaf

Hoglund ? Grinder ? hehehe, thats the funniest thing i've ever heard.

Closed Thread