HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #119: Tye McGinn, LW, Gatineau (QMJHL)

Old
06-26-2010, 02:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
My simultaneous translation rates are very reasonable.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Love Giroux, but I hate having too many QMJHL prospects. Watching games in French does not suit me, and I don't think too highly of most QMJHL forwards; the way they play because of league tendency more than anything that's their own fault. For example, I very much dislike Labrecque as a prospect.
Fair enough, you should tell the Flyers to draft OHL players so I can watch them on the OHL network too.

Chaput is a big all around centre who really came on in the second half. McGinn is a big scoring winger who really improved his skating and has everything else. Both are pro-style players.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
97FlyersKing18

I don't really understand the Q hate. Sure the OHL is superior, but does this team need any more "brutes" from the WHL so the Flyers can get more reputation calls? The league is changing and has been for years, the Flyers are just late adopters.

No love for Gagne (Quebec), Giroux (Gatineau) or Briere (Drummondville)? The Flyers clearly need winger help, perhaps McGinn will be able to re-spark Giroux in a few years, which may eventually give McGinn a spot in the show.

I am not comparing McGinn to those former First Round Picks talent wise, but just saying this Flyers team currently will succeed or fail depending on the consistency and production of former QMJHL players.

The Flyers do not need players in the NHL at this exact moment, they just need to "restock" their bare cupboards and there is nothing wrong with a player than play in all situations in Chaput and McGinn who had 92 points in 98 games and a PPG in the playoffs in his first 2 years.

McGinn has good stats and size, hopefully he continues to develop in the Q for a year and spends a year in Adirondak before he gets a shot at the Flyers.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr13 View Post
Not quite.

1. Taylor Hall
2. Tyler Seguin

0. Tyler Taylor.

Tyler Taylor is a **** disturber, and does a good job of it. But he's not a good fighter.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Can we please take Adam Pettersson now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I don't really understand the Q hate. Sure the OHL is superior, but does this team need any more "brutes" from the WHL so the Flyers can get more reputation calls? The league is changing and has been for years, the Flyers are just late adopters.

No love for Gagne (Quebec), Giroux (Gatineau) or Briere (Drummondville)? The Flyers clearly need winger help, perhaps McGinn will be able to re-spark Giroux in a few years, which may eventually give McGinn a spot in the show.

I am not comparing McGinn to those former First Round Picks talent wise, but just saying this Flyers team currently will succeed or fail depending on the consistency and production of former QMJHL players.

The Flyers do not need players in the NHL at this exact moment, they just need to "restock" their bare cupboards and there is nothing wrong with a player than play in all situations in Chaput and McGinn who had 92 points in 98 games and a PPG in the playoffs in his first 2 years.

McGinn has good stats and size, hopefully he continues to develop in the Q for a year and spends a year in Adirondak before he gets a shot at the Flyers.
Like everyone else, I'm thankful for the contributions of Briere, Gagne, and Giroux. Hell Gagne has been my favorite Flyer for a decade with brief interruptions by Foppa and Pronger.

I have nothing against the QMJHL (besides listening to French PBP). However, I don't think this is the direction we wanted to go in. Holmgren thought differently.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
We're drafting overagers now?

Great.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Nope. We wont. They havent picked anyone worthwhile yet, why start now.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Nope. We wont. They havent picked anyone worthwhile yet, why start now.
Seriously, Pettersson would rock.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:27 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Seriously, Pettersson would rock.
Pettersson or Thrush I would be happy with.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:28 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Really not a fan of either pick.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Lucky Luke

Tye McGinn was invited to the Gatineau Olympiques' training camp in 2008, after having been cut by the Ottawa 67's.
Though a late bloomer, he has developed into a very good hockey player.
In fact, he was the Olympiques' best player last year and was probably the best power forward in all the Q.
If he returns to the Olympiques this year as a 20-year old (which I hope will be the case), he could very well be a key cornerstone on a Cup contending team.
He has good hands, a strong shot, good vision and has improved his skating quite a bit.
He is tough, can even be punishing at times and when required, he can drop the gloves and go with the best of them.
I think he will fit quite well in the Flyers' organization.
Good luck to Tye McGinn.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:43 PM
mirimon

I'm ok with this pick I think. Just saw that Troy Rutkowski was taken afterwards though. Wasn't he considered to be taken fairly early (2nd/3rd round somewhere)?

Another guy I saw mentioned previous to the draft but's yet to be taken from what I can see is Maxim Kitsyn.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I'm ok with this pick I think. Just saw that Troy Rutkowski was taken afterwards though. Wasn't he considered to be taken fairly early (2nd/3rd round somewhere)?

Another guy I saw mentioned previous to the draft but's yet to be taken from what I can see is Maxim Kitsyn.
Kitsyn was taken by LA.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:34 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
And the OHL is the easiest league of the 3 to score in.
Yeah, and he was like 15-16 at the time. Hmmm. Think maybe he was not given the same responsibilities as the 19-20 year olds?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Yeah, and he was like 15-16 at the time. Hmmm. Think maybe he was not given the same responsibilities as the 19-20 year olds?
Oh I didnt realize he started in the OHL and THEN moved to the Q. I thought it was vice versa.

Old
06-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Hossa

Quote:
I have nothing against the QMJHL (besides listening to French PBP). However, I don't think this is the direction we wanted to go in. Holmgren thought differently.
You dislike that a French-speaking province broadcasts its sports in French? I don't understand.

Reacting to McGinn based on his league rather than his game isn't really particularly helpful. Having seen McGinn play in Ottawa and Gatineau, he's a solid pick. I'm a bit surprised he got drafted, but he was in Boston's camp I think, and I figured it was possible. He's a bit like Corey Cowick, who got picked by the Senators last year after being passed over before. Just a well-rounded player with good size, some offence, who has continued to develop positively.

McGinn doesn't have a ton of offensive upside. He's essentially a poor man's version of his brother, but maybe a bit taller. The points he puts up are from going to good places, working hard and getting lots of ice time. But he fits the mold of the overage picks we have seen in the middle rounds in recent years, guys who have developed well and appear to be on a path that could make them role players. I'm thinking of guys like Cowick and Scott Timmins for example.

McGinn will go back next year, get a ton of ice-time again, and continue to develop as a player. He works his butt off, like his brother, and that's probably why they like him. I don't think it's a bad pick at all for you guys. Your scouts know what they're getting, he's a mature player, and I do think has some of the tools to be a useful role player.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:06 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Adam P -undrafted

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
You dislike that a French-speaking province broadcasts its sports in French? I don't understand.

Reacting to McGinn based on his league rather than his game isn't really particularly helpful. Having seen McGinn play in Ottawa and Gatineau, he's a solid pick. I'm a bit surprised he got drafted, but he was in Boston's camp I think, and I figured it was possible. He's a bit like Corey Cowick, who got picked by the Senators last year after being passed over before. Just a well-rounded player with good size, some offence, who has continued to develop positively.

McGinn doesn't have a ton of offensive upside. He's essentially a poor man's version of his brother, but maybe a bit taller. The points he puts up are from going to good places, working hard and getting lots of ice time. But he fits the mold of the overage picks we have seen in the middle rounds in recent years, guys who have developed well and appear to be on a path that could make them role players. I'm thinking of guys like Cowick and Scott Timmins for example.

McGinn will go back next year, get a ton of ice-time again, and continue to develop as a player. He works his butt off, like his brother, and that's probably why they like him. I don't think it's a bad pick at all for you guys. Your scouts know what they're getting, he's a mature player, and I do think has some of the tools to be a useful role player.
Thanks for your report. Know one knows how the draft will turn out for at least three years. I for one liked what the Flyers did considering where they picked.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Oh I didnt realize he started in the OHL and THEN moved to the Q. I thought it was vice versa.

You also think the OHL is an easier league to score in. Google is your friend, use it.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:53 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:

Like everyone else, I'm thankful for the contributions of Briere, Gagne, and Giroux. Hell Gagne has been my favorite Flyer for a decade with brief interruptions by Foppa and Pronger.

What is your issue? lol

Teams dont look at geography when making picks...I doubt they care where in gods name the players are from.

Im especially disgruntled at your "i dont think this is the direction we wanted to go in"

And what direction would that be?? You dont want to draft the best players available regardless of language or geography??

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
What is your issue? lol

Teams dont look at geography when making picks...I doubt they care where in gods name the players are from.

Im especially disgruntled at your "i dont think this is the direction we wanted to go in"

And what direction would that be?? You dont want to draft the best players available regardless of language or geography??
Why are you trying to make this some grand statement of racism or something similar, when it has nothing to do with it?

EDIT: If you're worried about the "broadcasts in French" thing, it was a joke by the way. I don't speak French, and I really don't care what language broadcasts are in.

So yeah, there's no reason for you to be disgruntled. I thought this was a poor draft by the Flyers. They had the opportunity to address some needs, but instead they decided to go in a different direction somewhat. I'm sure a lot of Flyers' fans aren't exactly excited about this draft class either.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:01 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Why are you trying to make this some grand statement of racism or something similar, when it has nothing to do with it?

EDIT: If you're worried about the "broadcasts in French" thing, it was a joke by the way. I don't speak French, and I really don't care what language broadcasts are in.

So yeah, there's no reason for you to be disgruntled. I thought this was a poor draft by the Flyers. They had the opportunity to address some needs, but instead they decided to go in a different direction somewhat. I'm sure a lot of Flyers' fans aren't exactly excited about this draft class either.
I never mentioned race...

All im saying is...the teams dont look at geography when making picks...they compile a master list from best to worst and go off that. If everytime their pick comes up a player from the Q is there, they draft them. Assuming you arent too heavy on that position.

Go over to the Buffalo board and read that bumped thread about Tyler Myers. About 10 pages of pure hate for the kid the day he was drafted.

Fact is, most of the people on this board havent seen these guys play, your scouts have. And Philly has pretty good scouts. TRUST THEM.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:03 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Fact is, most of the people on this board havent seen these guys play, your scouts have. And Philly has pretty good scouts. TRUST THEM.
Thank you.

What are your thoughts on McGinn? I saw him play once as a 16 year old - so I pretty much don't know anything about him.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:05 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:

I followed this draft way less than some of the others and have zero knowledge of practically all the players, but i felt like they went in the direction that they should have gone and that was picking a lot of forwards, especially LW and RW. Sure they nabbed a few D, which is always good, but from the sounds of it, they picked some potential 2nd/3rd liners considering that their first pick wasn't until the 3rd round.

Not picking any goalies was proof for me that they feel confident one of the guys in our system will pan out nicely. From what I've been reading I think it was a decent draft for the Flyers overall. No potential game breakers, but some guys who . . . if they develop could offer the Flyers some actual games for at least a couple of seasons.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:05 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Thank you.

What are your thoughts on McGinn? I saw him play once as a 16 year old - so I pretty much don't know anything about him.
He was cut by the OHL and when he joined Gatineau he was average at best early on but they stuck with him. He seemed to take off in the 2nd half and he has shown huge progression in his game.

He has size, skating is about average, what he has a lot of though is hockey sense and offensive creativity. I think he is AHL ready, but im sure you guys will let him go back to Gatineau for another season.