HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Sabres 3rd Round Pick (68th Overall) RD Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Defenseman

Old
06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Buffalo Sabres 3rd Round Pick (68th Overall) RD Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Defenseman

Right handed D-man from Rouyn-Noranda of the Q.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM
mgeise

From SabresProspects on Twitter:

Quote:
Back to Gauthier-Leduc...real good offensive minded dman. This is a legit puck mover and a guy who can get shots to the net.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
OpethianSabre20

I wonder how he is in his own end?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:17 PM
mgeise

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...gauthier-leduc
Quote:
Strong on his skates and with excellent offensive vision, most believe that Gauthier-Leduc is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. With a strong shot from the point and great puck-moving ability, the Quebec native has solid size, but needs to be more assertive and continue to round out his game.
Stats
46 points last year (20+26) in 68 games along with 6 points (2+4) in the playoffs with Rouyn-Noranda in the QMJHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62773
This mock from an Eastern Conference scout had him going #27.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...d=2169&tab=scr
Quote:
"He's a very skilled guy. This kid has offensive skills. He's got size and he'll have to work on the defensive aspects of the game, sometimes he throws caution to the wind and forgets what position he plays. But sometimes that's what you want to see from a hockey player -- take the puck and go." - NHL Central Scouting's Chris Bordeleau

Old
06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
zbubble

Had the hardest shot at the CHL skills competition.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
mgeise

Ranked 81st on this list by premiumscouting.com
http://www.premiumscouting.com/index...&id=2&Itemid=3
Quote:
Leduc was one of top offensive defenders this year and produced for Rouyn-Noranda all year, in one zone at least. His skating is good; the stride is powerful and smooth and gets him up the ice well. He is the starting point of offense, carrying the puck up the ice and leading the rush. Jerome likes to pinch when in the offensive zone. Makes strong passes to his teammates and distributes well on the powerplay, as well as having a great shot that beat QMJHL goalies with frequency. His all-around game needs some serious help if he wants to advance at all in his hockey career, he makes some bad defensive decisions, his overall positioning and how he handles attacking forwards is a mess at times and he needs major refinements in that area. He has trouble handling physical forwards and is really just a one-dimensional player right now.

Old
06-26-2010, 02:33 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I like it. Another right handed defenseman who can move the puck.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Sounds like a righty project to add to the lefty projects.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

I wouldnt really classify Jerome as a 'puck mover' he is more of a 'puck shooter'.

He is mobile, but he tends to make safe plays while moving the puck. He is lethal on the PP though, he scored 20 goals and has a cannon of a shot.

Defensively he isnt that bad, or as bad as youd expect. He needs to fill out, he has an immature build. They say he is 181 but he needs to add a few more pounds.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
I wouldnt really classify Jerome as a 'puck mover' he is more of a 'puck shooter'.

He is mobile, but he tends to make safe plays while moving the puck. He is lethal on the PP though, he scored 20 goals and has a cannon of a shot.

Defensively he isnt that bad, or as bad as youd expect. He needs to fill out, he has an immature build. They say he is 181 but he needs to add a few more pounds.
Good to know and good to hear from a well-respected poster such as yourself.

06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Good to know and good to hear from a well-respected poster such as yourself.
Thanks. Also one other thing about Jerome is he has improved by leaps and bounds since his 16 year old season.

At 16 he was very timid...only scored 1 goal all season...at 17 he took charge and played a lot on a veteran team.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks. Also one other thing about Jerome is he has improved by leaps and bounds since his 16 year old season.

At 16 he was very timid...only scored 1 goal all season...at 17 he took charge and played a lot on a veteran team.
Also good to hear. Can you fill us in at all on Cedrick Henley?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Also good to hear. Can you fill us in at all on Cedrick Henley?
Yea for sure.

I have watched Henley a lot over the last 3 years. He was a highly touted kid when he was 14....he played up a level and was dominant.

At 15 he had injury issues and missed most of the year but Val-d'Or still drafted him 4th overall. He is a local Val-d'Or kid.

He suffered injuries as a 16 and 17 year old and basically for the last 3 years he hasnt played regularly because of the injury issues. It never seems to be career threatening type stuff, but more so small injuries here and there that keep him out of the lineup.

As a player he obviously has the size, close to 6'05 and 210...he likes to play physical, but his injury derailments have slowed down that aspect of his game. Offensively he is average. His offensive game has not translated to the Q level from his Midget days.

To be honest, I was surprised he was drafted after the last couple seasons he has had.

Old
06-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yea for sure.

I have watched Henley a lot over the last 3 years. He was a highly touted kid when he was 14....he played up a level and was dominant.

At 15 he had injury issues and missed most of the year but Val-d'Or still drafted him 4th overall. He is a local Val-d'Or kid.

He suffered injuries as a 16 and 17 year old and basically for the last 3 years he hasnt played regularly because of the injury issues. It never seems to be career threatening type stuff, but more so small injuries here and there that keep him out of the lineup.

As a player he obviously has the size, close to 6'05 and 210...he likes to play physical, but his injury derailments have slowed down that aspect of his game. Offensively he is average. His offensive game has not translated to the Q level from his Midget days.

To be honest, I was surprised he was drafted after the last couple seasons he has had.
I'm going to move this over to the Henley thread. Great response, thanks for you insight!

Old
06-26-2010, 04:11 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I like it, take a guy with a really useful attribute (booming shot) that you can't teach and some good athleticism and then work on rounding out his game.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Devine: "His coach thinks he is better than Letang at the same age".

Old
06-26-2010, 05:39 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Devine: "His coach thinks he is better than Letang at the same age".
I would generally agree with that...but Letang improved a crap load from age 17 to age 20.

Remember, Letang was a 3rd rd pick as well and they are somewhat similar players. Both shooters from the point who move the puck well enough.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Rammstein816

I hope he doesn't take as long as Gragnani to develop, but the description sounds like a younger version of him.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I hope he doesn't take as long as Gragnani to develop, but the description sounds like a younger version of him.
First thing that came to my mind too.

So I take it this kid is a bit different than Pysyk because he's more of a point shooting d-man as opposed to a point passing d-man? Don't mean to use these names or compare them t great players but... Pysyk being similar to Campbell with skating and passing abilities and Leduc being more of a shooting point man like Spacek?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:42 PM
JPurp26

the only comparison i have found is Tomas Kaberle
from a canucks fan

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

I dont like the Gragnani/Leduc comparison...

They are polar opposite type offensive rearguards.

Gragnani had a nice shot but he was also more of a proto-typical PP QB, he had vision, moved the puck well.

At the same age, Leduc is better defensively, he also has a better attitude and he is more 'raw'. Leduc has a lot of room for improvement, where as I didnt think Gragnani did.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Per THN's list of top draft steals:

Quote:
4. Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL): The first French-Canadian taken in the draft this year, Gauthier-Leduc has decent size and all the makings of a prototypical NHL puckmoving defenseman. His vision and shot are his strong suits and he pumped in 46 points in 68 games to lead all Huskies blueliners. Drafted 68th overall by Buffalo in 2010.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
That sounds good to me. I like a few of the picks this year, and I'm trying to reserve judgment on Pys until I read some reports of his performance in the upcoming camps.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote