HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks select D Adam Polasek - 5th Round, 145th Overall

Old
06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
King of Anarchy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthedonuts View Post
A Patrick and a Polasek today...

If we draft a Herter or a Holden, this board will self-destruct.
I LOL'd.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
thefeebster

Well this is one of the few prospects we drafted that i actually knew something about beforehand. So here's some blurbs i've found from my perusing this year.

Quote:
15. Adam Polasek, D
PEI Rocket
6'02, 187 lbs.
CS Ranking: Not ranked in Final CS Rankings (203rd at Midterm)

Skipped over in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, this solidly built Czech blueliner came to North America with the intention of garnering the big league's attention. Immediately stepping into a big role with the Rocket, Polasek was, many nights, PEI's best defenseman on the ice.

A two-way defender, his 13 goals and 41 points in 66 games led all rookie defensemen in scoring as well as all blueliners on his team. Willing to rush and able to handle the puck at high speeds, Polasek was a key part of the Rocket's power play, where he showed a confidence with the puck and a hard, heavy shot.

Polasek was steady and dependable in his own end and he could quickly read the play and make moves to intercept. Strong on his skates, the 18-year-old has plenty of room to grow.

Houston likes the big Czech, saying “He's a heady guy, he moves the puck well, he's physical and has a little jam and pizzazz on the ice. He finishes his checks. His overall game is pretty solid.”
Quote:
Adam Polasek, a defenceman with the P.E.I. Rocket of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, thought he'd be spending Christmas away from his family in the Czech Republic and playing for his country.

It turns out he will be away from home, but not playing for his country.

The Czech Hockey Federation called Polasek earlier this month to tell him he could play at the World Junior Hockey Championship in Saskatchewan. There was a catch, however, since he could only do so if he left the P.E.I. Rocket and returned to the Czech Republic to finish his junior career.

Doing that would put Polasek's ultimate dream in jeopardy.

"My dream is dream [of] everyone ... small kids, it's NHL," Polasek, 18, said Tuesday.

He decided to stay in Charlottetown because he thinks his chances of making the National Hockey League are better if he sticks with the Rocket.

Polasek said he believes the Czech Republic wants him on their world junior team for financial reasons. If he is drafted by an NHL team while playing in the Czech Republic, Polasek said, his country can receive up to $200,000 in development fees from the NHL.

Scouts have pegged Polasek as an early to mid third-round pick in this summer's NHL draft. They like his size and speed, but making the NHL is not that easy. In the seven years the Rocket have been on the Island, only Maxim Lapierre has cracked the big leagues.

Polasek said he dreams of being the "Next One," and some day suiting up for the Toronto Maple Leafs, like fellow Czech defenceman Tomas Kaberle.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...#ixzz0rzrV70pF

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
God
Free Citizen

leafs fan? bust.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Red

Really interested in following him this year, I knew next to nothing about this guy except hearing him mentioned as a possible good mid-round pickup on a few lists. Thanks for digging up all that info feebster. Seems completely dedicated to making the NHL. I assumed he wasn't sought after because he was a big defenseman but soft so it's really good to hear that he finishes his checks and plays with an edge.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:49 PM
rocketfan

as a rocketfan adam is a great pick by the nucks hes good on the pp and good in his own end great offense and he can skate very well plays the man very well and has some grit great pick

rocketfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
MS

This seems like a very strong pick.

Might have fallen through the cracks last year, but seems to have the combination of size/mobility/skill/grit to project as a solid pro defender.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
The Big Foot

I'm realizing now what a total homer I am, every one of these picks today and last year look like total steals to me...good to be optimistic at least. This guy looks like a good project.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
Exactly.

You have to assume that at least ONE of Sauve, Connauton, Price, Andersson, McNally or Polasek is gonna be a player.
Throw Chris Tanev into that mix as well.
He's one of the reasons why Gillis said he didn't feel bad trading the 25th overall pick this year.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
This seems like a very strong pick.

Might have fallen through the cracks last year, but seems to have the combination of size/mobility/skill/grit to project as a solid pro defender.
Gillis said something about a draft sheet error last year?( something like that)..... Whatever that means..

In the video on CDC.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 06:22 PM
passive voice

Sounds good to me. Everybody cross your fingers for the next Roman Polak/Jan Hejda.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Very happy with this pick

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Marco Corleone

Video from late season.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
HMMMMMMMMM...

Last Polasek selected by the Canucks was Libor Polasek - 21st overall, in 1992.

Anyone know how that turned out????
I wonder if Polasek is a common name there...or is he a relative?

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:16 PM
0123456789*

Polasek is a great pick, he is a good all around player but the important part is that he has worked extremely hard to get to where he is now. Im sure Gillis picked him with the hope that the work effort and determination to make it to the NHL continues and he is fast riser in the prospect pool.

Its clear Gillis values dedication, work effort and determination allot, thats why he often goes for NCAA players, players with college or players with hard work ethic and determination.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Libor Polasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
HMMMMMMMMM...

Last Polasek selected by the Canucks was Libor Polasek - 21st overall, in 1992.

Anyone know how that turned out????
My ears are burning....

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libor Polasek View Post
My ears are burning....
As well they should...

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:28 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I'm realizing now what a total homer I am, every one of these picks today and last year look like total steals to me...good to be optimistic at least. This guy looks like a good project.
Lol I think it's because gillis' draft picks all show at least some semblance of promise whereas previous regimes seemed to throw darts at a board for later round picks

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:48 PM
passive voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post
Video from late season.

Hahaha, I love at :50. "Everything is hard work, yeah?"

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

QMJHL All Rookie Team for 09/10, certainly not bad for a 5th rounder. Wonder if we'll see him at the WJC this winter.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Tiranis

Honestly, Polasek is one of the guys I have probably the highest hopes for out of all our picks. The Czech developmental program is not particularly good right now so for him to come over and do this well in his rookie season, I think it shows he has a lot of potential. Also seems to have a very positive attitude which is great.

Reminds me of the Connauton pick a little bit, except I think Polasek has actually proven more than Connauton did in his draft year.

Last edited by Tiranis: 06-28-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Lol I think it's because gillis' draft picks all show at least some semblance of promise whereas previous regimes seemed to throw darts at a board for later round picks
At this point, I think they're just humoring Delorme by keeping him on staff just to do the opposite of what he'd do. Under Burke or Nonis, would they ever take a flyer on a guy who plays in PEI? Quick sidenote, my better half is from PEI, big Habs fan, when I told her we took Polasek, she said: 'well, I can care a little bit about the Canucks now.' Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

Gillis: "So Ron, who do you think we should take at #145?"
Delorme: "There's this kid playing for the Aldergrove Grizzlies of the PIJHL, one of the best practice--"
MG: "Canucks select Adam Polasek, PEI Rocket."
RD: "****"

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
At this point, I think they're just humoring Delorme by keeping him on staff just to do the opposite of what he'd do. Under Burke or Nonis, would they ever take a flyer on a guy who plays in PEI? Quick sidenote, my better half is from PEI, big Habs fan, when I told her we took Polasek, she said: 'well, I can care a little bit about the Canucks now.' Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

Gillis: "So Ron, who do you think we should take at #145?"
Delorme: "There's this kid playing for the Aldergrove Grizzlies of the PIJHL, one of the best practice--"
MG: "Canucks select Adam Polasek, PEI Rocket."
RD: "****"
I lol'd

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:23 AM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post
Sounds good to me. Everybody cross your fingers for the next Roman Polak/Jan Hejda.
aren't polak and hejda more defensive minded Dmen? from the info on polasek, sounds like he is more offensive, or 2-way Dman. don't know if he'll turn into a shutdown guy like the 2 you mentioned. polasek sounds more like a poor man hamrlik to me, which is still very good for a 5th round pick!

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:36 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Honestly, Polasek is one of the guys I have probably the highest hopes for out of all our picks. The Czech developmental program is not particularly good right now so for him to come over and do this well in his rookie season, I think it shows he has a lot of potential. Also seems to have a very positive attitude which is great.

Reminds me of the Connauton pick a little bit, except I think Polasek has actually proven more than Connauton did in his draft year.
I agree. I loved this pick the moment i saw Mattbugg announced it. I think he has the most potential of all our draftees this year, but a thing to remember is that he was passed over last year. So technically, he is a bit older, but just missing this year's cut off by 2 months. Which really makes my point moot, now that i think of it.

He went right where i thought he would go - 5th round - but have thought he was criminally under-rated by rankings like CSS. His development has been trending upward quickly and will likely take over as top defenseman on the Rockets next season. I think he will be closer than most people think. By the video, the coach makes it sound like he is a victim like Sauve in that their physical games are held back a bit by the way the refs call the game. Hope he shows some of that in the prospects/training camp.

More reads:
Quote:
Adam Polasek, Defenseman, PEI Rocket
Polasek is a good sized defenseman that uses his body well. He’s usually well positioned and has good vision and hockey sense to make decisions with the puck. He skates well and has a good hard shot that can lead a powerplay. He just needs to improve his puck skills and work hard to grow himself as a player. He should be taken in the 6th or 7th round depending on teams’ needs.

NHL Potential: 2nd pairing defenseman
And a good thread from Rocket fans, but here's the most interesting blurbs:
Quote:
Hard to pinpoint why Polasek looks so good out there.

I think it's his poise.

He just looks comfortable out there, he doesn't mind taking the body, he can handle the puck in his own end, he's good on the PP, he's seldom out of position, and he doesn't take dumb penalties.

He looks more like an experienced 19- or 20-year old than like a rookie.

Definitely our best defenceman thus far this year.
Quote:
He does look impressive out there for sure. He doesn't take himself out of the play just to make a hit (Southorn) and is always moving his feet so doesn't get caught flat footed (Mathieu). I do like the in Brian Burkes words Truculence he brings to the Rocket.
Quote:
Very good player imo Strong and solid on the blue line. And has a mean streak to him love watching his style of hockey and for a big player he can sure move smooth with the puck.

Makes very good plays up to the wingers and takes the puck right up the ice. IMO it would be his size and ability to move with the puck that makes him worthy of the award as he is a really good solid player All the games i watched him play I don't think i saw him make one mistake..
http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/index...ad=9549&page=1

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Agent007

It really is somewhat funny that we had 5 picks in this draft, with the first being 115, and yet we might walk away with not only a potential NHL player but a potential impact NHL player or two.

McNally and Polasek both have top 6 if not top 4 potential and we also added a potential 3rd line player in Friesen. These guys both sound like picks you'd expect in the top 90 of a draft.

We still don't have a defensive bluechipper in the system but suddenly defence on depth may not be as big of an issue.

If we can find a way to either develop a number one, trade for a number one, or sign a number one then things look pretty darn good for our defence and goaltending over the next decade or so.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote