HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Philly to deal for Nabokov's rights

Old
06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
prairie hab

vCash: 500
Philly to deal for Nabokov's rights

No link yet, but being confirmed by Philly radio listeners and "message board gurus" that Philly is preparing a deal for the rights to negotiate with Nabokov before July 1st.

CSN Philly

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:07 PM
prairie hab

http://www.csnphilly.com/

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I think this is borderline retarded.

We're a week away from July 1st, they could simply wait. It's not like many teams will be looking for a #1 goalie.

And they just failed miserably with Dan Hamuis, you'd think they'd learn...

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

if they lose something else (even minor) and nabakov walks, i'll be delighted.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Gustave

Don't they have salary cap issues in Philly? Like real close to not being able to keep guys up even for injury purposes? What did I miss?

Gustave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

They ain't losing much...7th rounder in 2011.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

I hope he dosn't sign

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Pascal

The Flyers with a #1 goalie will be scary.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Indeed

Skill , grit , size , depth , great D , experience , copious amount of leadership , playoffs proven and finally decent goaltending.

They will be a complete team from top to bottom

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:02 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I don't think they can afford nabby

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
Indeed

Skill , grit , size , depth , great D , experience , copious amount of leadership , playoffs proven and finally decent goaltending.

They will be a complete team from top to bottom
The only problem with this analysis is that Nabokov costs about $5M more than Leighton, so the "complete team" will have to shed one, maybe two good players in order to make room for Nabokov.

Incidentally, what has Nabokov done that is actually better than Leighton did this playoff run? Sharks playoffs over the years? Team Russia 2010 Olympics?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The only problem with this analysis is that Nabokov costs about $5M more than Leighton, so the "complete team" will have to shed one, maybe two good players in order to make room for Nabokov.

Incidentally, what has Nabokov done that is actually better than Leighton did this playoff run? Sharks playoffs over the years? Team Russia 2010 Olympics?
Possibly but they won't have to get rid of anyone this year since they have 11m of free cap space and only need to re-sign a couple of guys who are RFA but won't cost much because they are bottom 6 forwards. Coburn may cost a bit more but they have the option to trade him if he ask too much or just keep him and let him walk next year.

Next year is a litte bit more complicated with Carter and Giroux being RFA and Gagne UFA but then they could trade Briere to make space or simply choose to not re-sign Gagne and still have lot of depth. Either way they are not in such a bad position and have a lot of options available to manage the cap.

Now i'm not saying that Nabokov is the best option but he's still more proven than the "hot and cold" normally backup guys that Philly used in the last couple of year (Boucher , Leighton ect). I wouldn't commit to him if i was the Flyers though , maybe 2-3 years at most.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:14 PM
JackZap

Flyers dealing all over. Trying for Ham, now Nabby. Habs asleep at the wheel again. Trading roster players for prospects.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I don't think Nabby is going to get 6. I see him at 4.5 ish. They will move Gagne

Old
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I think this is borderline retarded.

We're a week away from July 1st, they could simply wait. It's not like many teams will be looking for a #1 goalie.

And they just failed miserably with Dan Hamuis, you'd think they'd learn...
Failed miserably with Hamhuis? Hardly. It ended up being Parent for a 3rd. Thats a fair deal...

Anyways, we have 10.6mil remaining to spend. We need to sign Coburn, Nabokov, a sixth defenseman, and one/two bottom line wingers. Nabokov should get 5, Coburn will get 2.5, that leaves 3mil to get bottom line guys. It's tight, but it's hardly a cap crunch. If I were Holmgren, I would have gone for a cheaper UFA option than Nabokov, but it is what it is. I definitely like his initiative though. We didnt lose anything.

No core players will be "capped" out. If a Carter, Gagne or Hartnell is dealt it will because management wants depth at another position, not because of the cap restraints. Next year will begin our personal cap hell

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm. So will nabokov continue his playoff curse in Philly?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Flyers dealing all over. Trying for Ham, now Nabby. Habs asleep at the wheel again. Trading roster players for prospects.
Um, lol? Not sure if this is serious or not.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
RE-HABS

From what I have read on the various twitter feeds from media types is that a lot of GM won't touch Nabokov because of his lack luster playoff performances, plus there is some supposed dressing room issues too.

Sounds like a Flyer type to me.

Either way. Flyers get another goalie who can't get the job done. Over pay in salary. Weaken themselves offensively having to deal Gagne or Carter to address cap.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
LOL if serious

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Dude man, shut the hell up. I'm getting sick of this crap. Did you want us to sign Nabokov? Like seriously. What's the need to bash? Holy *****. Enough is enough. It's like some fans get off on this nonsense.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
masterSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Dude man, shut the hell up. I'm getting sick of this crap. Did you want us to sign Nabokov? Like seriously. What's the need to bash? Holy *****. Enough is enough. It's like some fans get off on this nonsense.
While I agree that would be dumb, I get his point. He means the Flyers are trying to get all the pieces for the cup, but all we've done so far is Halak trade. He'd like us to be more aggressive...

masterSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:41 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterSB View Post
While I agree that would be dumb, I get his point. He means the Flyers are trying to get all the pieces for the cup, but all we've done so far is Halak trade. He'd like us to be more aggressive...
Thing is in Philly they are in a win now mode with Pronger, Timonen, Briere, Gagne, Laperriere, Asham, Betts all aging and players like Carter up for UFA status next year, Giroux needing to be extended...the gap to go again is probably this year, and this year only.

With Montreal we have a lot of good elements signed long term. Gomez and Gionta are over 30, but not in the decline. We have two good young forwards entering their prime in Plek's and Cammer signed long term. The D is set and signed (and we aren't stuck as Hammer and Gill are one more year, and Spacek 2), the 3rd and 4th lines are young and inexpensive and we have a good young goalie who could lead us for the next 10-12 years.

We are in a want to win now, but we are also in a situation we could be a contender longer too. Eller additon addressed a need. A experienced UFA goalie will address a need. And the Habs will look at trades to address the top 6 and to help on D and in the 3-4 lines.

People here have to realize it is only Philly doing these things so far, to me it shows desperation on their part. No other team is going to these length this early into the summer, let PG and his staff do their work...they have a couple of months, have patience.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:43 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Um, lol? Not sure if this is serious or not.

Maybe I should of added the but my point was u can't fault the flyers for trying

Last edited by JackZap: 06-26-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Why would we sign Nabokov for?

Last edited by JackZap: 06-26-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old
06-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterSB View Post
Philly is one goalie away. We don't have that flexibility right now. Gauthier is being very active. My issue isn't with someone wishing we should do more. My problem is people who make a b!tch fest out of EVERY move by other teams. Byfuglien gets traded and not to the Habs, these people say "FACK Gauthier Fire Him", the Flyers are talking now to Nabokov, and these people say "Habs are asleep again". Honestly, I want all of these fools to go support the Leafs who trade every single year which'll appease these lunatics who just want moves for the sake of it. Then there's the "We deserve a Quebecois now" after the Habs take an English player in the 1st round. The Habs don't owe Quebecers anything - they are a hockey franchise not a political party.

It's becoming a cancer.

Last edited by Ginu: 06-27-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote