HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Verbal deal for Nabby (2011 7th round pick for rights, if signed before July 1)

Old
06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That's okay - the Flyers can do shootouts now.
We'll just bring in Boosh.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
Nabokov will sign a 35+ contract.

It's not about the age on July 1st, that is not the date of demarcation.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/200...act-an-over-35

Quote:
Bill Daly, the deputy commissioner of the league, was contacted by Elliotte Friedman, a reporter for Hockey Night in Canada and FAN 590 in Toronto. Daly told Friedman that the deal is in fact an over-35 contract because of the date it goes into effect. It does not matter that the deal was signed before Pronger is 35 years old (he's 34 until October 10 of this year), because it does not go into place until the 2010-11 season.

The league's collective bargaining agreement uses June 30 as the cut off date, and Pronger will be 35 on June 30, 2010.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
GE0

You're right, I apologize for the mistake.

I was confusing the fact that Nabokov would be counted as a 35-year-old this upcoming season, but yes, he would be signing his new contract (as long as he does so before July 25th) at the age of 34.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:16 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Nabokov will sign a 35+ contract.

It's not about the age on July 1st, that is not the date of demarcation.
It is June 30th of the year in which the contract takes effect. The contract takes effect for this season, this year. Therefore the date used is June 30, 2010. Nabokov will therefore count as 34 years old.

Pronger signed his deal at age 34, but his new contract doesn't take effect until this season, this year (as opposed to last year when he signed it). Therefore, the date used for that contract is the same as it would be for Nabokov's, June 30, 2010. Pronger is 35 as of that date.

Nabokov = not subject to 35+ rules.

Pronger = subject to 35+ rules.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:17 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:

I was confusing the fact that Nabokov would be counted as a 35-year-old this upcoming season, but yes, he would be signing his new contract (as long as he does so before June 25th) at the age of 34.
July 25th

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Mgkibbles

I'd love to see how Nabby does in the Playoffs with an actual Playoff team in-front of him. Plus his Playoff numbers are very strong to begin with.

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 06-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
July 25th
Corrected, thanks.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I don't understand the dislike of this move. The guys stats barely move from regular season to playoffs. Nabokov doesn't choke in the playoffs, the SJ offense led by the ultimate choke artist Joe Thornton does.
Blows my mind.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
5 or less and I am ****ing loving this

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

I was confusing the fact that Nabokov would be counted as a 35-year-old this upcoming season, but yes, he would be signing his new contract (as long as he does so before July 25th) at the age of 34.
It doesn't matter at all WHEN he signs the contract. All that matters is June 30th of the year in which the contract is to be effective.

From the CBA:

Quote:
All player salary and bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective)...

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Get it done Homer..

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Flyerfan808

If Nabokov comes here I am willing to reserve judgment for a while. Of course I am interested in seeing what we sign him for if we can manage it. And Sure, his reputation as a playoff choker / quitter precede him, not like I believe in any of that crap anyway (see Marian Hossa). I say let the past be the past. Like it or not he is the best option the Flyers would have in net for the upcoming season. I hope that the change of scenery can give him new energy.

If he comes here, I will feel like we are a better team than last season.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
5 or less and I am ****ing loving this
I don't want him at five. At five I would rather let him walk and risk him being signed by another team at the possibility of also getting Biron'd and being forced to lower his demands.

If we give him 5 mil then it puts up in a very tight cap situation assuming we re-sign Coburn and don't move anyone. Tight to the point that we're screwed if we ever have a serious injury in the regular season (which you know we will).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I'd love to see how Nabby does in the Playoffs with an actual Playoff team in-front of him. Plus his Playoff numbers are very strong to begin with.
It was definitely more the rest of the team that disappeared in the playoffs normally. This past playoffs, in 3 series, the Sharks gave up 41 goals and ONLY scored 41. The Pens scored 42, they scored 1 more and they only played in 2 series, while the Sharks played in 3.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What Woof said. Besides, there's a difference between being weak mentally and being a quitter.
This is true. Though it doesn't much matter at the end of the day why your game went to pieces, as much as it matters that it did. At the end of the day, I could find something bad to say about any guy they went out and signed be it a goalie, d-man, forward...so I don't want to sound like I'm on a crusade against him. I'm not.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Villedelphia*

Please dont sign this old expensive ***** quitter choke artist

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:57 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Man some of you piss and moan if we keep Leighton as the starter for 2010-2011. That same group piss and moan if we have Boucher as our #1 guy heading into the season. Then, when we show interest and are attempting to get a deal done with best option available (by far the best option might I add) what do some of you do? You piss and moan.

I get it, you want us to get a goalie just as long is it's the goalie (probably some middle of the pack guy or unproven prospect) you want.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:57 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Lets just hope Homer doesn't screw this up.

Let's get him signed first..

I'm honestly okay with Nabby.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
Man some of you piss and moan if we keep Leighton as the starter for 2010-2011. That same group piss and moan if we have Boucher as our #1 guy heading into the season. Then, when we show interest and are attempting to get a deal done with best option available (by far the best option might I had) what do some of you do? You piss and moan.

I get it, you want us to get a goalie just as long is it's the goalie (probably some middle of the pack guy or unproven prospect) you want.

Exactly.. People crying all year long. Hell for the last 15+ years about the situation.. Now that we finally got a legit starting goalie people still want to ***** and moan. Imagine what Nabby would do behind this team??? The same defense that made Leighton LOOK good.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:00 PM
sg12lw

two things:

1. hard to call one guy a playoff choker, when he plays on team that is full of them

2.i also watched the olympics, and i gotta say, i saw an russian team that was a friggin mess...nabby sucked, yes, but it wasnt like the rest of his mates were doing any better

ill give the guy the benefit of the doubt...he is one of the best regular season goalies out there, and that is a fact

how he does in the playoffs??? only time will tell.....but how can this be bad? hes better than what weve got, and hes better than whats on the market....and he does have playoff experience

cant go wrong with this...get it done homer

....and hey if we lose in the playoffs, we got another scapegoat haha

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
Man some of you piss and moan if we keep Leighton as the starter for 2010-2011. That same group piss and moan if we have Boucher as our #1 guy heading into the season. Then, when we show interest and are attempting to get a deal done with best option available (by far the best option might I had) what do some of you do? You piss and moan.

Pretty much. We have the best UFA goalie this off-season pretty much right in our lap and some have nothing but *****ing and moaning. He is what this team needs. He brings it every game (don't include the Olympics because it's an international stage and if some bring up Mason is a better option, he did the same, if not worse in a similar international stage). Also, with the thought of getting Biron because he got us to the ECF, so did Nabby for the Sharks, at least twice. He has awesome career regular season and play off stats, but he NEEDS a defense that can play in front of him, and that wasn't what he got this past season with the Sharks. He will here.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Eh, the Olympics and the world championships are not really comparable tournaments. I get what you're saying though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
clodejirew

I wouldn't want more than a 2 or 3 year deal. Hopefully by then Eriksson or Bobo will be ready for a #1 job.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

3 years at 4.5-5 million sounds good. Just don't include the NTC/NMC.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Villedelphia*

Yeah I'm not really concerned as much about the possible choking/quitting aspect as much as the price tag, and what it means for our cap situation. I feel signing Nabakov means a pretty major shakeup offensively in 2011-2012. If we sign him for 3.5 i'll be happy as a clam.

Think he'd go for a 1 year deal?

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 06-26-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: felt like it *****
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote