HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill V

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

vCash: 500
We sign Kubina and trade for a 30 goalscoring winger?

Honestly I have no idea.. I'm guessing something unexpected.

Old
06-26-2010, 07:57 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Kovalchuk MUST come to LA.

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust.

I will be one of those who freak out if we don't sign him. He's just too good. You have to a sign a player like that if you're in our position, as a team.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think most of us know DL well enough to know that we are not the favorite to sign Kovalchuk(even though Ek claims we are). As long as this team is improved, i will be satisfied.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I think most of us know DL well enough to know that we are not the favorite to sign Kovalchuk(even though Ek claims we are). As long as this team is improved, i will be satisfied.
Then who is?

I think we're definitely the favorite.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:08 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

The Rangers?

$13M under the cap, only 2 really significant RFAs to re-sign(Staal and Girardi). And have been known to be in on every big FA recently.

Maybe i'm just extremely pessimistic.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-26-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old
06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Leiweke: Kings will be players.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-bettman-.html
Quote:
Toward that end, he said the Kings have a lot of salary cap room and that when the NHL’s free agency period begins Thursday, “if the right guy is there next week we’re going to fill a hole. ... The balance here is not to win once in a while.”

And, he said, he'd like to have “back-to-back parades” with the Lakers to celebrate their respective league titles. He also said the Lakers built their current team around two trades -- for Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol -- and that the Kings have similar franchise cornerstones in place now. “We could have added major free agents two years ago and it wouldn’t have mattered,” he said. “Now you look at our team and the job Dean [Lombardi, the general manager] has done and there’s a lot to get excited about.”

Leiweke can’t identify players the Kings might pursue until July 1, but with Patrick Marleau off the market the biggest name will be high-scoring winger Ilya Kovalchuk. If he’s reasonable and doesn’t try to break the bank, he could be their quarry — and he’d fit well on a team that’s weak on the wings.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
The Rangers?

$13M under the cap, only 2 really significant RFAs to re-sign(Staal and Girardi). And have been known to be in on every big FA recently.
And that is with 15 players signed. If you equate the contract raises for Staal and Girardi, the Rangers aren't going to have much room to make a big splash. Unless they trade their good young players or somehow manage to rid themselves of Drury or Redden.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
The Rangers?

We basically have the same cap space as the rangers perhaps even more.

Besides, it isn't going to be the money that's going to be the difference maker but where he prefers to play imo. And if it came down to money, there will be plenty of it left for Kovy.

There are rumors of Kovy to kings for a reason and that's because we're a good fit for each other.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And that is with 15 players signed. If you equate the contract raises for Staal and Girardi, the Rangers aren't going to have much room to make a big splash. Unless they trade their good young players or somehow manage to rid themselves of Drury or Redden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
We basically have the same cap space as the rangers perhaps even more.

Besides, it isn't going to be the money that's going to be the difference maker but where he prefers to play imo. And if it came down to money, there will be plenty of it left for Kovy.

There are rumors of Kovy to kings for a reason and that's because we're a good fit for each other.
Like I said, maybe i'm just a pessimist because we have been misled about getting these big-name players so many times in the last 10 years.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
It ain't just Ek. Every hockey reporter believes that Kovi's destination is LA, and he will sign here. The question is, can Lombardi do it without it messing things up when the core guys are up for raises. I get the feeling that Lieweke is really behind getting him to sign here.

This from espn.com:

Quote:
Sources confirmed to ESPN.com yet again Saturday that the Kings will make an offer to the prized jewel of a thin market, star winger Ilya Kovalchuk. They tried to acquire his rights this weekend from New Jersey, but were denied since the Devils remain interested in trying to re-sign the Russian star.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...-draft-weekend

Old
06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Like I said, maybe i'm just a pessimist because we have been misled about getting these big-name players so many times in the last 10 years.
Are you afraid of getting your feelings hurt?

It's ok, you can tell me.

I'm overly confident that we'll sign Kovy. But in case that we didn't, I'll be ok with it because I know DL will find other avenues to improve our team.

I believe in DL, it's simple as that!!!

Old
06-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
It ain't just Ek. Every hockey reporter believes that Kovi's destination is LA, and he will sign here. The question is, can Lombardi do it without it messing things up when the core guys are up for raises. I get the feeling that Lieweke is really behind getting him to sign here.

This from espn.com:
This is all too similar to what transpired last summer with Marian Gaborik, whose #1 destination was rumored to be Los Angeles.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
This is all too similar to what transpired last summer with Marian Gaborik, whose #1 destination was rumored to be Los Angeles.
And that's EXACTLY why DL will not be outbid this time.

I really think DL knows that this may be the last opportunity for a big name player like Kovy and he will do everything within his power to sign Kovy.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
And that's EXACTLY why DL will not be outbid this time.

I really think DL knows that this may be the last opportunity for a big name player like Kovy and he will do everything within his power to sign Kovy.
I disagree. Marion Gaborik is a perfect example of why Dean Lombardi WILL let himself be outbid.

Last year the Kings were thin on the wings and had a set price that they were willing to pay for Hossa, Gaborik, and Havlat. They made their offers to all three guys and all three guys turned them down. The Kings have a similar need this year and will not let a bidding war force them to overpay.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:44 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I disagree. Marion Gaborik is a perfect example of why Dean Lombardi WILL let himself be outbid.

Last year the Kings were thin on the wings and had a set price that they were willing to pay for Hossa, Gaborik, and Havlat. They made their offers to all three guys and all three guys turned them down. The Kings have a similar need this year and will not let a bidding war force them to overpay.
That's where your wrong. Supposedly DL had a deal with Hossa, but he wanted a guarantee that they were a 100 point team. Plus, why would DL go out and add a big piece with his rebuilding style when they hadn't sniffed the playoffs at that point.

Old
06-26-2010, 08:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post

Right...so, you're saying that DL hasn't learned from his past experience.

I think you're 100% wrong on this.

Kovy is ours if he wants to be here, simple as that.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Sources confirmed to ESPN.com yet again on Saturday that the Kings will make an offer to the prized jewel of a thin market, star winger Ilya Kovalchuk. They tried to acquire his rights this weekend from New Jersey, but were denied since the Devils remain interested in trying to re-sign the Russian star.
Come on NJ, he doesn't want to play for you.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
If Dean wanted Gaborik in LA, he would be here. Gaborik gave Dean the option to match the NY offer and Dean said, "No".

He will say yes to Kovalchuk. If Kovy wants to be in LA, he will be signed.

I could be setup for another shock, but the Kings are in a great position to sign Kovy and I think Dean agrees. He's dropped too many hints that the time is now. The Kings have plenty of defensemen in the pipeline to be patient with the defense. Kovalchuk is only 27 and can grow with the team.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
KingLB

Quote:
That's where your wrong. Supposedly DL had a deal with Hossa, but he wanted a guarantee that they were a 100 point team. Plus, why would DL go out and add a big piece with his rebuilding style when they hadn't sniffed the playoffs at that point.
Correct, and he was not outbid for Gaborik, he just wasn't willing to give the years Gaborik wanted. And honestly giving Gaborik that money for that time period last year was beyond crazy. Also just asking about rights for Kovy, and having them denied was a smart move by the Kings. If there was any doubt in Kovi's mind now he knows the Kings are interested not just heresay.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

If we sign Kovalchuk........

...what number does Wayne Simmonds change to? I hope it's 24 so all I have to do is change the name panel on my Frolov jersey.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:28 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

It also takes two to tango. Dean could throw the league max at Kovy and that doesn't mean he signs on the dotted line. If Kovy isn't here July 1, it may not be because we were outbid or didn't offer enough. Everyone says that Kovy wants to play here, but I've never seen a direct quote out of the horse's mouth.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

JINX!!!!!!!

But he may just go to #71.

Old
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

more like 'when'

Old
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
...what number does Wayne Simmonds change to? I hope it's 24 so all I have to do is change the name panel on my Frolov jersey.
Depends. Kovy could just go with 71. That's what he has worn internationally.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings offered Gaborik a short term deal and then the Rangers stepped in and offered long term and then Gaborik's people turned around and faxed that to Lombardi and wanted us to match and we didn't.

That could happen again.

Closed Thread