HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers #1 Prospect

View Poll Results: #1 Prospect
Derek Stepan (C) 77 51.33%
Evgeny Grachev (LW) 18 12.00%
Ryan McDonagh (D) 6 4.00%
Chris Kreider (LW) 47 31.33%
Dylan Mcilrath (D) 2 1.33%
Ethan Werek (F) 0 0%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2010, 08:46 PM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
What an ugly list. Bunch of B and C lvl prospects.

Ughhhh
Wow... You know they might not be big flashy names but if you see them play I bet you would rethink that B/C list little speech, especially with the prospects we just had graduate in Anisimov and MDZ. I can think of many teams that have way worse prospect lists than we do.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 08:57 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Wow... You know they might not be big flashy names but if you see them play I bet you would rethink that B/C list little speech, especially with the prospects we just had graduate in Anisimov and MDZ. I can think of many teams that have way worse prospect lists than we do.

Id put us in the 10-15 range team ranking wise, which is actually pretty good.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Agreed, and with a player like Christian Thomas which we will recognize going into this next OHL season when he starts putting up points again I think we could crack the 10.

Only reason I had him so low on my list was because I made that list also based on how close they think they are to reaching the NHL.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
You named two prospects out of how many we have been waiting for? C'mon man those are the exception to the rule not the rule itself. For a team who missed the playoffs for almost a decade, did a rebuild and missed the playoffs again last year this is a piss poor list. But thats what happened when your first round picks busts 3/4 of the time when your trying to "rebuild".

I don't care about other teams, I care about the Rangers prospect list and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Based on what would you do this? You ddn't even look at the other 29 teams prospect list when you posted this or you wouldn't have posted it.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:28 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
What an ugly list. Bunch of B and C lvl prospects.

Ughhhh
you do realize Grachev and Kreider have 35-40+ goal potential, right?

Also, level A prospects are RARE. Those are your Ovechkins and Crosbys so I dont understand your point.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
You named two prospects out of how many we have been waiting for? C'mon man those are the exception to the rule not the rule itself. For a team who missed the playoffs for almost a decade, did a rebuild and missed the playoffs again last year this is a piss poor list. But thats what happened when your first round picks busts 3/4 of the time when your trying to "rebuild".

I don't care about other teams, I care about the Rangers prospect list and it leaves a lot to be desired.
Anisimov looked very good playing on the 3rd line and putting up decent numbers in his rookie season with **** on the wings. And MDZ is an ok guy on the PP. For someone who is arguing how they don't care about other teams, I would think you don't care for past prospect lists either since they really have nothing to do with this one (Save for the Butterfly Effect argument)

Better Players > Flashy Name picks, atleast that's my view on the whole thing. I agree it does leave to be desired and it could be better, but in retrospect it really is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Quote:
Based on what would you do this? You ddn't even look at the other 29 teams prospect list when you posted this or you wouldn't have posted it.
Whoops, thats where your wrong again... This all sounds familiar, AH YES! Your the guy who told me very rudely a long time ago that the Stepan pick was stupid and would never amount to anything. And to be honest and give you the benefit of the doubt, it hasn't, but it doesn't look great on your scouting report resume.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
My top 20 (or now the top 21!)

1. Stepan
2. Kreider
3. McDonagh
4. Grachev
5. Werek
6. McIlrath
6B. MZA
7. Johnson
8. Sauer
9. Hagelin
10. Thomas
11. Weiss
12. Bourque
13. Byers
14. Horak
15. Pashnin
16. Kundratek
17. Valentenko
18. Stajcer
19. Niemi
20. Dupont
I am missing your buddy Williams here

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
you do realize Grachev and Kreider have 35-40+ goal potential, right?
Hey Nigel Dawes had 30-40 goal potential, where is he?

Grachev has 12 goals in 80 AHL games and he is a projected 40 goal scorer in the NHL? Oh boy.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:

Grachev has 12 goals in 80 AHL games and he is a projected 40 goal scorer in the NHL? Oh boy.
Dude, are you serious? The kid hasnt even peaked yet(obviously!)

Heres a quote for ya

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530832

"There's no question in my mind he's going to be a top-six NHL forward down the road," said Kevin Maxwell, a Rangers pro scout and former NHL player who watched Grachev at Hartford. "... I think he's going to be in that 25 to 30 goal range and possibly 60 points.”

He'll reach above 30 goals. Mark my words.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Anisimov looked very good playing on the 3rd line and putting up decent numbers in his rookie season with **** on the wings. And MDZ is an ok guy on the PP. For someone who is arguing how they don't care about other teams, I would think you don't care for past prospect lists either since they really have nothing to do with this one (Save for the Butterfly Effect argument)

Better Players > Flashy Name picks, atleast that's my view on the whole thing. I agree it does leave to be desired and it could be better, but in retrospect it really is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Whoops, thats where your wrong again... This all sounds familiar, AH YES! Your the guy who told me very rudely a long time ago that the Stepan pick was stupid and would never amount to anything. And to be honest and give you the benefit of the doubt, it hasn't, but it doesn't look great on your scouting report resume.
Stepan has played zero NHL games and has ZERO NHL points, not sure how I look bad already. He won gold in the WJC, so did Montoya. Whats your point? Oh you think Stepan is a top line center? I guess it's better than Erik Christensen. Thats right he is our #1 center isn't he?

Our opinions on Anisimov differ. I think he's going to turn out to be a smart defensive center who can win draws and be relied on to PK, but will have a hard time scoring on a consistant basis. I see him traded out of NY in two seasons, maybe sooner if he doesn't learn to keep his head up and out of the smelling salts.

Old
06-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Dude, are you serious? The kid hasnt even peaked yet(obviously!)

Heres a quote for ya

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530832

"There's no question in my mind he's going to be a top-six NHL forward down the road," said Kevin Maxwell, a Rangers pro scout and former NHL player who watched Grachev at Hartford. "... I think he's going to be in that 25 to 30 goal range and possibly 60 points.”

He'll reach above 30 goals. Mark my words.
Um your reading a report from the New York Rangers website and taking it as truth. Listen to outside opinions before you get all excited.

Here are some older scouting reports from Clark about some of our other future goal scorers that didn't pan out. Bourret and Dawes he seemed very hi on. Are either in the NHL anymore?

http://www.*******************/forum...d.php?t=136895

Edit: Sorry I couldn't hyper link, it wouldn't let me.

Copy&Paste

Nigel Dawes --There's a long-held theory that if you really want something and work hard to get it, you'll get it. If it holds true in Dawes’ case, he will be an NHL player. Sooner rather than later, it seems. Like a lot of Winnipeg-raised players, he combines toughness with good skating skills. Dawes made the Rangers out of training camp last fall but the team decided "Black Aces" was not the best role for a 21-year-old goal scorer and returned him to the Wolf Pack. There, he had 27 goals and 33 assists for 60 points in 65 games. The two-time WHL First Team All Star was plus-29 in 245 WHL games and is plus-23 in 146 AHL games so he knows his defensive responsibilities, as well.

"I would say that Staal, Bourret and Dawes have the best chances to challenge for spots on our roster at training camp," Clark said. "Nigel is not a big kid, but it's a new game with the new rules and he put up 35 goals in 77 games in his first year at Hartford, playing with good, older veterans, and 27 in 65 games last year with a younger team. He's a goal scorer and he's got a chance to play on our second line. There again with the new rules, we've changed our thinking about the third line. It used to be a checking line, but now we're looking, like a lot of teams, for more production there. Nigel has a good chance to be a scorer on one of our lines."

Last edited by Radek27: 06-26-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Bad link
Old
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:

Another Nigel Dawes comparison? Oh boy.

Stepan
Grachev
Kreider

In that order because, I'm not ready to give up on Grachev yet he is the same age as Kreider and played in a tougher league.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Well theres only one way to find out. I am not only using that as my only source of confidence he'll be a 30 goal scorer. I have others. We all have different opinions. I think he'll reach his potential.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
NYRSchrute217

I'm a big fan of our prospects but in my personal opinion McIlrath is trash. Sorry if my opinion differs from a lot of you, but it is my opinion not yours.

I'd say Stepan should be #1 mainly because he further along in his development than Kreider. Not necessarily that Stepan has a higher upside, but he's more valuable right now.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Well theres only one way to find out. I am not only using that as my only source of confidence he'll be a 30 goal scorer. I have others. We all have different opinions. I think he'll reach his potential.
I'm fine with everyone having different opinions, but they guys that are right just because they say they are really annoy me.

I agree with you he will reach his potential and Stepan is a 1b center IMHO, probably the closest thing to a number 1 center we have 2nd would be Anisimov he will be a solid 2nd line guy in the future.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
My top 20 (or now the top 21!)

1. Stepan
2. Kreider
3. McDonagh
4. Grachev
5. Werek
6. McIlrath
6B. MZA
7. Johnson
8. Sauer
9. Hagelin
10. Thomas
11. Weiss
12. Bourque
13. Byers
14. Horak
15. Pashnin
16. Kundratek
17. Valentenko
18. Stajcer
19. Niemi
20. Dupont
Great minds think alike, I suppose. Move McDonagh to 1, and Valentenko up a little, and Yogan right ahead of Pashnin. and you have my list.

Plus id put WIlliams above Dupont, I wasnt even aware Brodie was staying with the organization.

Wheres Ryan Hillier

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I am missing your buddy Williams here
After how bad he was this year, if he's on ANYONE'S list (Leslie included) they should be taken behind a house and put down Old Yeller style.

Last edited by Bird Law: 06-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I voted Kreider because he has the highest upside of any of our prospects.

But Zuccarello-Aasen has to be considered our current top prospect. He's our only prospect that led one of the world's top leagues in scoring (as a 22 year old).

I'd go:

Mats Zuccarello-Aasen RW
Chris Kreider LW
Derek Stepan C
Evgeny Grachev LW
Ryan McDonagh D
Dylan McIlrath D
Chad Johnson G
Ethan Werek C
Dale Weise RW
Dane Byers LW
Michael Sauer D
Pavel Valentenko D
Andrew Yogan C
Christian Thomas RW
Tomas Kundratek D
Carl Hagelin LW
Jesper Fasth RW
Mikhail Pashnin D
Jyri Niemi D
Ryan Bourque RW
David Kveton RW
David Skokan RW
Scott Stajcer G
Roman Horak LW
Daniel Maggio D
Randy McNaught RW
Jason Wilson LW

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I voted Kreider because he has the highest upside of any of our prospects.

But Zuccarello-Aasen has to be considered our current top prospect. He's our only prospect that led one of the world's top leagues in scoring (as a 22 year old).

I'd go:

Mats Zuccarello-Aasen RW
Chris Kreider LW
Derek Stepan C
Evgeny Grachev LW
Ryan McDonagh D
Dylan McIlrath D
Chad Johnson G
Ethan Werek C
Dale Weise RW
Dane Byers LW
Michael Sauer D
Pavel Valentenko D
Andrew Yogan C
Christian Thomas RW
Tomas Kundratek D
Carl Hagelin LW
Jesper Fasth RW
Mikhail Pashnin D
Jyri Niemi D
Ryan Bourque RW
David Kveton RW
David Skokan RW
Scott Stajcer G
Roman Horak LW
Daniel Maggio D
Randy McNaught RW
Jason Wilson LW
Very much agree with your post and listings. I think it shows how weak the prospects are that a 22 year old guy you signed from Europe, a country not known for producing NHLers, shoots to the top of your prospect list.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:40 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Quote:
Very much agree with your post and listings. I think it shows how weak the prospects are that a 22 year old guy you signed from Europe, a country not known for producing NHLers, shoots to the top of your prospect list.
You do realize thats HIS opinion right? Opinion is not facts. The only reason why he's on top is because he had a good season in Europe. Not that I agree or disagree with his opinion, this list should say "Subject to Change" upon MZA performance. As he said, Kreider is on top of the list without MZA.

You seem to quick to judge and over-rate Kreider and Grachev, yet they haven't even played a single NHL game.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Radek27

Quote:
You do realize thats HIS opinion right? Opinion is not facts.
Every post here is opinion, not sure what your trying to say here.

I agreed with his opinion can I not do that?

This is like Roman Wick shooting to the top of the Sens prospect list.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Quote:
Every post here is opinion, not sure what your trying to say here.

I agreed with his opinion can I not do that?

This is like Roman Wick shooting to the top of the Sens prospect list.
Yes you did agree with his opinion. But then you went on and said our prospects are "weak". Now you didn't name specifics but I can only assume you are including Kreider, Stephan, Grachev, McIlrath, etc.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:51 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
You know that 22 year old guy we signed from the country "Europe" made some NHL'ers look pretty stupid at the Olympics?

Old
06-26-2010, 11:53 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Quote:
You know that 22 year old guy we signed from the country "Europe" made some NHL'ers look pretty stupid at the Olympics?
lmao

nice catch! Makes me wonder now...

Anyway, I still want to know why he thinks our prospects are "weak" when their potential is high.