HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers #1 Prospect

View Poll Results: #1 Prospect
Derek Stepan (C) 77 51.33%
Evgeny Grachev (LW) 18 12.00%
Ryan McDonagh (D) 6 4.00%
Chris Kreider (LW) 47 31.33%
Dylan Mcilrath (D) 2 1.33%
Ethan Werek (F) 0 0%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
lmao

nice catch! Makes me wonder now...

Anyway, I still want to know why he thinks our prospects are "weak" when their potential is high.
I would love to know who and why you feel has such hi potential. I'm all ears. Hi potential to me a top line player, franchise dman, or something special. Who in this system right now fits that description.

PS Europe isn't a country.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:02 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
PS Europe isn't a country.
Thanks for pointing out your own mistake.

I'm more interested in knowing what "Not Weak" is.

We have Stepan who just had a MONSTER NCAA year all around the board, and fell just short of winning a Frozen Four Championship but CAPTAINED team USA to a gold with an awesome showing of his offensive skill.

Kreider who as a rookie on the 3rd line at his college showed some amazing highlight reel stuff and I doubt he just "loses his speed over night" ontop of scoring 6 goals in 7 games at the WJC and getting the gold. He also won Beanpot and Hockey East titles with BC in 2009-10 and put up big offensive numbers over the second half of the season, even though he saw less ice time on the third line and didn't get any power-play time prior to the World Junior tournament. AND named to USA's World Championship team

In Ryan McD we have a NHL sized player who is ready to potentially step into a top 4 D role...

Even Hagelin generates excitement as he did amazing at Michigan, lead the team in scoring, and spent a lot of time on the PK. In 127 games he has scored 43 goals and 60 assists, 103 points and is +57 while spending a lot of time on the PK.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
You know that 22 year old guy we signed from the country "Europe" made some NHL'ers look pretty stupid at the Olympics?
Hey how many of those Americans that made the unbeatable Russian team in the Olympics look stupid made the NHL? Well a few of them "made it" there but none had very good careers.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Radek27

Quote:

We have Stepan who just had a MONSTER NCAA year all around the board, and fell just short of winning a Frozen Four Championship but CAPTAINED team USA to a gold with an awesome showing of his offensive skill.

Kreider who as a rookie on the 3rd line at his college showed some amazing highlight reel stuff and I doubt he just "loses his speed over night" ontop of scoring 6 goals in 7 games at the WJC and getting the gold. He also won Beanpot and Hockey East titles with BC in 2009-10 and put up big offensive numbers over the second half of the season, even though he saw less ice time on the third line and didn't get any power-play time prior to the World Junior tournament. AND named to USA's World Championship team

In Ryan McD we have a NHL sized player who is ready to potentially step into a top 4 D role...

Even Hagelin generates excitement as he did amazing at Michigan, lead the team in scoring, and spent a lot of time on the PK.
McDonagh projects to be a 2nd line defender.
Stepan projects to be a 2nd line center
Kreider projects to be a 2nd line winger.
Hagelin projects to be a 3rd line winger.

Where is all this greatness? Are they okay prospects? Sure i'm not saying they are total crap, there is upside and you need 2nd and 3rd liners, but we have too much of one thing and none of the other that i'm talking about.

You have to understand not all of them are going to hit that top potential, so your looking at the next step down or never making it period. The whole reason I jumped into this thread was to state we do not have a top prospect, we have a bunch of decent young talent but nothing that is as great as your trying to make us feel is on the way. With so many different rankings arleady by the posters you should see it's a very open field to rank since no one is really any greater than the other. A bunch of B-C lvl prospects, rank them however you want really and no one could really be wrong.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out your own mistake.

Even Hagelin generates excitement as he did amazing at Michigan, lead the team in scoring, and spent a lot of time on the PK. In 127 games he has scored 43 goals and 60 assists, 103 points and is +57 while spending a lot of time on the PK.
Actually it was your reading mistake, not mine. I think it's pretty obvious what I meant unless your on a 5th grade reading lvl.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hey how many of those Americans that made the unbeatable Russian team in the Olympics look stupid made the NHL? Well a few of them "made it" there but none had very good careers.
Mark Pavelich
Neal Broten
Ken Morrow
Dave Christian
Mike Ramsey
Mark Johnson

All had pretty damn good careers, in fact, your looking at a list compiled of a few all stars.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Mark Pavelich
Neal Broten
Ken Morrow
Dave Christian
Mike Ramsey
Mark Johnson

All had pretty damn good careers, in fact, your looking at a list compiled of a few all stars.
Damn good? Most played an average of 500 NHL games in thier career. Broten did have better numbers than I thought though I will admit that.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:35 AM
LyNX27

Mark Pavelich 355-137- 192-329
-Still holds the Ranger record for most points as a rookie(76)
-One of only two Americans to score 5 goals in a single game.

Neal Broten 1099-289-634-923
-Hobey Baker Memorial Award (Top U.S. Collegiate Player) (1981). He was the first recipient of the award.
-Lester Patrick Trophy (1998)
-All Star (1983, 1986)
-Was voted by Minnesota Wild fans as the greatest hockey player ever from Minnesota in the Minnesota Hockey Greats contest.

Ken Morrow 550-17-88-105
- Inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame
- Stanley Cup Champion (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)

Dave Christian 1009-340-433-773
- All Star (1991)
- Holds the record for the fastest goal by a player in his first NHL game (7 Seconds)

Mike Ramsey 1070-79-266-345
- All Star (1982, 1983, 1985, 1986)

Mark Johnson 669-203-305-508
- All Star (1984)

Old
06-27-2010, 12:38 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Wow just wow. Is Norway part of Europe? Yeah it is. I'm sorry I didn't put the word NORWAY in there for you. I think your smarter than that and knew what I meant but just want to try and take away from the topic. I don't want to respond because i'm afraid you won't understand. So far you showed you nit pick on a play of words rather than backup up your point or even stay on the topic. You showed you don't know what a top lvl A prospect is if you think we have one.
If your going to get upset cause I'm just poking fun over an oversight... Life is harder than I am. I think I've answered everyone one of your questions, related and non-sequitor. And I have provided a plethora of evidence.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Radek27

Quote:
If your going to get upset cause I'm just poking fun over an oversight... Life is harder than I am. I think I've answered everyone one of your questions, related and non-sequitor. And I have provided a plethora of evidence.
you did answer my question, I just posted it, you did it a year ago. Thx budd.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:45 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
HF poster disagree with you. Most have him 50-60 pts (2nd line center).

http://hfboards.ca/showthread.php?t=733858

As per LYNX27, last post in the thread.

My realistic expectations are a very good 2nd line center.
This is all based on potential, without considering what our team will look like in the future. Thats fine that they disagree. I am only sending off the message from what I read. It's nice to think we have these type of guys but obviously they all fit in the top 6. Whether they reach their potential is up to them but I feel based on my own opinion that these guys will produce pretty nice numbers. Ive had this opinion before even reading what I've posted. I am high on these guys. Sorry if thats a bad thing but its the first time we actually had prospects that look promising in our system in a while.

Now based on realistic scenario's? Sure, ill give you my opinion

Looking at our team, who do you see playing over Kreider in 2-3 years? Top line is very possible. Our best LW is Avery right now.
Grachev will be stuck on line 2 since Gaborik is easily the top line RW.
Stephan...hard to say but I'll say 2nd liner, for now.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
you did answer my question, I just posted it, you did it a year ago. Thx budd.
Your welcome, you know only 40 natural centers hit 50 points this year. Anything higher than 50 points makes him a 1st line center, so take a guess at why I said 50 points? I even said it, because it's realistic. Do I think he has the potential to play as a first line center? YES!

Even HF.com disagrees with you giving Stepan an 8C...

Quote:
8 - First line forward / No. 2 defenseman / No. 1 goaltender -- players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential. Think Patrik Elias, Keith Tkachuk, Mattias Ohlund, Adam Foote, Sean Burke, Olaf Kolzig.
The potential is clearly there.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
Thats fine that they disagree. I am only sending off the message from what I read. It's nice to think we have these type of guys but obviously they all fit in the top 6. Whether they reach their potential is up to them but I feel based on my own opinion that these guys will produce pretty nice numbers. Ive had this opinion before even reading what I've posted. I am high on these guys. Sorry if thats a bad thing but its the first time we actually had prospects that look promising in our system in a while.

Looking at our team, who do you see playing over Kreider in 2-3 years?
No one which is what depresses the crap out of me. This means it's only a matter of time before we get into another bad contract because we have failed to draft this kind of players for 12 years now. You have to get top line players somewhere, and if your not drafting them your over paying them in the market to come play.

Guys we have made the playoffs what? 3 times in the last 11 or 12 years? And this is what we have to show for that? Why am I the only one disapointed by this? No this team has the best friggin fan base in the damn league and we deserve better! There is no excuse for the shape his franchise is in right now. I mean thank god for Hank really because if we didnt' have such an amazing goalie we would have been and would still be a bottom feeder in the Eastern Conf. The NJD played ages behind a really good goalie and moderate talent up front, I would liken our Rangers to that right now, but why don't we have the same success that NJ did? Drafting has a lot to do with that, and smart signings. They almost go hand in hand no?

Old
06-27-2010, 01:06 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
No one which is what depresses the crap out of me. This means it's only a matter of time before we get into another bad contract because we have failed to draft this kind of players for 12 years now. You have to get top line players somewhere, and if your not drafting them your over paying them in the market to come play.

Guys we have made the playoffs what? 3 times in the last 11 or 12 years? And this is what we have to show for that? Why am I the only one disapointed by this? No this team has the best friggin fan base in the damn league and we deserve better! There is no excuse for the shape his franchise is in right now. I mean thank god for Hank really because if we didnt' have such an amazing goalie we would have been and would still be a bottom feeder in the Eastern Conf. The NJD played ages behind a really good goalie and moderate talent up front, I would liken our Rangers to that right now, but why don't we have the same success that NJ did? Drafting has a lot to do with that, and smart signings. They almost go hand in hand no?
I agree. Drafting is a huge part. I wish our draft turned out better this year but it seems NYR is going in a new direction. It sucks that we passed on so much talent in the past drafts but having the prospects I've named are going to help us in the long run. They give us depth, and pretty damn good depth too. Depth is what wins championships. I hope Sather is patient with these guys and doesn't trade them away. Once these guys start to break out, we can start going after big time free agents.

Scott Stevens was HUGE for NJD. Hopefully McIlrath will be the same player. Stevens was a pain in the ass and we all know that. We need that kind of player. I am sure next year, we are drafting the BPA and I'd be surprised if we don't.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Another Nigel Dawes comparison? Oh boy.

Stepan
Grachev
Kreider

In that order because, I'm not ready to give up on Grachev yet he is the same age as Kreider and played in a tougher league.
No he isn't.

Grachev is 20 years old.

Kreider is 18.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No he isn't.

Grachev is 20 years old.

Kreider is 18.
Turned 19 in April. They are a year apart.

Grachev fell a tad for me, but nowhere near the amount he fell for some posters here. It was quite the transition stage for him jumping to the AHL as one of the youngest players in the league. I'm very interested to see what type of damage he does this year.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

Grachev fell a tad for me, but nowhere near the amount he fell for some posters here. It was quite the transition stage for him jumping to the AHL as one of the youngest players in the league. I'm very interested to see what type of damage he does this year.
Agreed. I'm gonna vote for him as #2.

Add MZA

RANGERS =

Last edited by we want cup: 06-27-2010 at 10:55 AM.
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Kreider
Stepan
McDonagh
Grachev
MZA
Werek
McIlrath
Thomas
Johnson
Wiese
Hagelin
Sauer
Valetenko
Byers
Kundratek
Yogan
Bourque
Horak
Pashnin
Dupont
Stajcer

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I see the top 10 something like this...

Stepan
Kreider
Grachev
McDonagh
McIlrath
MZA
Werek
Weise
Hagelin
Thomas

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Mcd add mza

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Derek Stepan, add Zucco.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:09 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post

Good catch. I knew his birthday was close.

Grachev hasn't fallen on my list due to anything he has or hast done.

Kreider just has a higher ceiling.

Grachev didn't have a bad year. As a 19-20 year old rookie in the AHL with 12 goals is not bad at all. He is inexperienced and needs some better conditioning.

Those three: Kreider, Stepan, Grachev are all up there. They're legit top 6 NHL talents.

I'm high on McDonagh, too.

I don't know enough about McIlrath. If the kid can skate as well as Gordie says, then he has a chance to be a special player.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:12 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
McDonagh projects to be a 2nd line defender.
Stepan projects to be a 2nd line center
Kreider projects to be a 2nd line winger.
Hagelin projects to be a 3rd line winger.

Where is all this greatness? Are they okay prospects? Sure i'm not saying they are total crap, there is upside and you need 2nd and 3rd liners, but we have too much of one thing and none of the other that i'm talking about.

You have to understand not all of them are going to hit that top potential, so your looking at the next step down or never making it period. The whole reason I jumped into this thread was to state we do not have a top prospect, we have a bunch of decent young talent but nothing that is as great as your trying to make us feel is on the way. With so many different rankings arleady by the posters you should see it's a very open field to rank since no one is really any greater than the other. A bunch of B-C lvl prospects, rank them however you want really and no one could really be wrong.
Stepan projects to a Doug Weight type player, Kreider projects to a Bigger Tony Amonte type player. As far as I know both of those players were first liners.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Who is saying all these guys max out as second line players?

Other then pessimestic HFBoard posters.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:25 AM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Derek Stepan
Evgeny Grachev
Chris Kreider
Ryan McDonagh
Mats Zuccarello Aasen
Dylan McIlrath