HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
Great...
If we lose staal I'd be even more upset for taking mcilrath over fowler...
How would we lose Staal.. he cant be offer sheeted... He has NO LEVERAGE, he could hold out and not play, but that certainly wont help his value.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:12 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Staal take your 2 year 2million dollar a year contract and come to camp ready to go..
2 million? Yeah, ok...

Old
06-26-2010, 10:16 PM
OverTheCap

Marc Staal can certainly be offer sheeted.

Players who elect to go to arbitration cannot be offer sheeted. Staal doesn't have arbitration rights so it's irrelevant.

Quote:
(B) Notwithstanding the foregoing, if a Group II Player
requests salary arbitration pursuant to Article 12, such player
will not be eligible to negotiate with any Club other than his
Prior Club or sign an Offer Sheet pursuant to this Article 10
except as provided in Section 12.6.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:17 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
2 million? Yeah, ok...
Avatar bet? give or take .3 mil higher or lower. What makes you think he will get more.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:18 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Players who elect to go to arbitration cannot be offer sheeted. Staal doesn't have arbitration rights so it's irrelevant.
whoever words the CBA needs to be shot... and irrelevant whatever the offersheet would be we'd match it. if someone offers him 6+mill then ill take my 3 1st Rounders and stick my hand down my pants and watch the wire.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

As an outsider this is my analysis...he is your number 1 dman, he knows that, he's probably asking for something in the 4-4.5m range, Sather is probably looking for something around 2.5m they'll probably sign him for 2 years 7m

Old
06-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
Great...
If we lose staal I'd be even more upset for taking mcilrath over fowler...
I'm not sure how we could lose him. What it means is his cap hit is going to be more than most expected it might be. He is worth it though.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Avatar bet? give or take .3 mil higher or lower. What makes you think he will get more.
He was our best blueliner and logged more minutes than anyone else.

All Rookie team

Growing offensive skills to an already steady defensive game.

He's got plenty on his side to drive up the price. You make it sound like he has no reason to ask for more. He's our #1 Dman and he's knows it, how many #1's you see making 2 million? We have a #5 making 6.5.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:38 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

BlueSeatBlogs
Staal does not have arbitration rights, thus he cannot be offer sheeted. My apologies.

Old
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
BlueSeatBlogs
Staal does not have arbitration rights, thus he cannot be offer sheeted. My apologies.
BlueSeatBlogs either misread the CBA or didn't read it all. Nowhere in the CBA does it say that a player who does not have arbitration rights cannot be offer sheeted. The quote I lifted from the CBA explicitly states the conditions in which a player cannot be offer sheeted: he had to have elected arbitration or have already signed an offer sheet with his team.

Andrew Gross mentioned the possibility of an offer sheet earlier today:

Quote:
- Sound the alarm? GM Glen Sather, talking to reporters in LA, said he wouldn’t describe it as a gulf between the team and RFA D Marc Staal - the team’s first priority this offseason - he would describe it as a “chasm.” Wouldn’t go into panic mode, though. Both sides may dig in and Staal presumably could get an offer sheet from another team. But the Rangers would have to match. To be honest, I don’t think it’ll come to that anyway.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:00 AM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Well either way I think Sather is smart enough to keep Marc at all cost's.

Old
06-27-2010, 02:56 AM
andrew10228194

If you guys remember,when Sather didn't have a salary cap we did worse because he made signings like Malakhov,Holik,Ulanov, and Karpa.He needs to learn from those signings and the signings he's made with the cap(Drury,Gomez,Redden).We need to sign solid free agents and not overpriced guys past their prime and keep our core guys.He needs to be reasonable as does Staal.I'm sure they will get things done.The only thing that concerns me is if Staal gets an offer sheet.What would we do then?

Old
06-27-2010, 03:38 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
you do not get bent over by a kid with no arbitration rights. it just doesnt happen. Rangers would be fools to give in to what he wants. they need to put the squeeze on him. If he can find an offersheet, then we can match it, but till then, hes just a kid trying to get a pay day way before he deserves it.

This pretty much. Slats played hardball with Dubinsky this time last year and he'll do it now with Staal. I'm not worried, if someone does offer sheets him however then we'll have to match. I dont see anyone offer sheet-ing him.

Old
06-27-2010, 04:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
It is believed that Staal is seeking a four-year contract in the neighborhood of $3.5 to 4 million per season.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0s2rqiC46

Old
06-27-2010, 05:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don't worry about getting the CBA stuff wrong. There is a Boston media guy who thought Matt Hunwick who filed for arbitration last summer was still allowed to solicit an offer sheet from another team after filing and he still has a job. Staal needs 1 more season to be eligible for salary arb. The number is 24. Signed as a 20 year old. Three year ELC. 23. 1 more year.

Since the season ended,it's been the Rangers want to re-sign Staal to an extension. To a long term contract. If you look at the 2nd contract(long term)for players like Staal,it's $3 million plus. If those earlier reports about the Rangers wanting to sign Staal long-term were accurate,then I don't see where the 4 year/$3.5-$4 million request made by Paul Krepelka is so outlandish. Bobby Orr owns the agency repping Staal. Krepelka is actual agent. He has all of the Staal boys. Nathan Horton, DP.etc.

The Rangers should give Staal $4 million for 5 years. Maybe 6 years. They can give Redden 6 years and Gomez 7 years.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Turambar

From Newsday:

Quote:
And in a troubling sign, team president and general manager Glen Sather disclosed that negotiations with the team's current No. 1 blueliner, restricted free agent Marc Staal, have not been progressing.

"I wouldn't say it's a wide gap," Sather said. "I'd say it's more of a chasm."

Staal, 23, earned $765,000 last season and was expected to more than triple that number per season in a long-term deal. But Sather and Bobby Orr's agency, which represents Staal, are at odds.

Sather raised eyebrows when he likened the situation to that of restricted free agent Brandon Dubinsky, who held out for the first week of training camp last September before signing a two-year $3.7-million contract.

"He's in exactly the same position that Dubinsky was in last year," Sather said. "Where that's going to end up is anyone's imagination. He's a good player, we like him, we'd like to have him back, he's got a long future, we'll treat him fairly. Sometimes agents don't recognize that. Leverage works both ways. I'm not ripping anybody. What the reality is . . . that's why the CBA's in place. If he doesn't agree, he can sit out until December and can't come back at all for the whole year, so it doesn't make a lot of sense."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...icks-1.2057063

Old
06-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What?! If Sather is really being a bull buster about giving him a 3.75M a year for 4 years then he really has lost it. Give that to him and don't look back!

Old
06-27-2010, 06:33 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
What?! If Sather is really being a bull buster about giving him a 3.75M a year for 4 years then he really has lost it. Give that to him and don't look back!
This is what gets you in cap trouble. Can't let these kids with no leverage jerk you around. Slats has shown he's very generous with giving out the big money, but only after you've earned it. Put in your RFA time and he'll give you your payday after that.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This is what gets you in cap trouble. Can't let these kids with no leverage jerk you around. Slats has shown he's very generous with giving out the big money, but only after you've earned it. Put in your RFA time and he'll give you your payday after that.
For players like Dubinsky, yes I understand, but Staal is the cornerstone on defense for us for hopefully the next decade. At times last season he was already playing over 25 minutes a game. If this guy holds out or gets signed to an offer sheet (which i'm saying he will if hes not signed by that deadline), then this club is in trouble.

Its not like he wants 5M or anything, 3.5-4M, which is fair market price IMO for a RFA top pairing defenseman, especially if Letang is getting 3.5 to be a top 4 dman.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Sather is doing what he has to, relax.

Staal will be a Ranger next year, as will Girardi. If Sather can sign them both for 4 years, 6.5 million total it will be a steal.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:08 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
False. By giving Staal more now on a longer term deal, we will actually be saving cap space down the road. How much do you think he's gonna get 2 years from now as an arbitration eligible RFA?

If you aren't sure about a player, then yes, it doesn't make sense to give him big money/long term when you don't have to. But is there any question about Staal? I don't think so. We want him here long term.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Turambar

Keep in mind, people, the shorter his new deal is (for those suggesting a 2-year deal), the sooner he gets to become an unrestricted free agent. I don't think any of us want to see that happen.

Staal should get something like a 4-5yr, $3.5-4mil/yr deal. But that won't happen, because Staal knows he'll be worth more on the open market sooner, so he won't sign a long-term deal. He has more leverage than some of you think.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Levitate

Like I said, this happens every offseason and people freak out every time.

It's all part of negotiating and Sather plays hardball with his RFA"s. Both sides are going to act like there are huge differences and that they're in the right and they'll talk to the media and numbers will get floated that may or may not be realistic

In the end it will get done.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:41 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
Keep in mind, people, the shorter his new deal is (for those suggesting a 2-year deal), the sooner he gets to become an unrestricted free agent. I don't think any of us want to see that happen.

Staal should get something like a 4-5yr, $3.5-4mil/yr deal. But that won't happen, because Staal knows he'll be worth more on the open market sooner, so he won't sign a long-term deal. He has more leverage than some of you think.
Not true. Staal has 4 more years before he can become UFA. We can give him a 4 year deal, two 2 year deals or four 1 year deals and he still won't be UFA until 2014.

The difference in the lengths will come down to the cap hit.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:42 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'd would give Staal 4 years, 4 million per every day of the week.

RANGERS =
Closed Thread