HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2009 Top 25 Prospects - Redux

Old
06-27-2010, 08:15 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Don't know the order, but based on talent and ability, these are the ten most important prospects we have right now:

Niederreiter, Hamonic, de Haan, Petrov, Kabanov, Donovan, Lee, Koskinen, Kessel, Martin.
I'm starting to feel bad for Brock Nelson...people seem to be forgetting about him two days after he was drafted and he was a first round pick. He is a much better prospect than Kabanov (and probably anyone you have listed after Kabanov).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
TeamKidd

Im not sure there are many teams that can compete with a top 6 of

hamonic
el nino
dehann
petrov
kabanov
nelson

how many teams would be able to slot someone like nelson in their #6 spot?? sick, just sick.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
bluechipbonzo

1. Petrov
2. de Haan
3. Hamonic
4. Kabanov
5. Neidereiter
6. Lee
7. Ullstrom
8. Nelson
9. Koskinen
10. Poulin

IMO the Kabanov move is connected to Petrov- as a sign of support and motivation. I think that more fans on here may realize just how serious the Islanders are about Petrov with this move- and the possibility of having these two dynamic talents playing together is enticing to say the least.

Petrov is a left-shooting right-winger, and Kabanov is a right-shooting left-winger. It's too easy a guess to say that they will be on the same line together come pre-season games...does the veteran Josh Bailey get to play set-up man for them? I have posted many potential line combos both here and on Islandermania, but we are getting closer now to what the future really will hold...

Nino--Tavares--Okposo
Kabanov--Bailey--Petrov
Moulson--Neilsen--Ullstrom
Martin--Czikas--Comeau

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Dan-o16

Honestly, I don't see how Kabanov, Lee, Nelson and Poulin are knowns enough to compare with guys like Donovan, Ness, and Gregoire. Except that they're new and shiny.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Hamonic should be rated higher than De Haan.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:17 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Honestly, I don't see how Kabanov, Lee, Nelson and Poulin are knowns enough to compare with guys like Donovan, Ness, and Gregoire. Except that they're new and shiny.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Donovan's ceiling is as a 5 or 6 d-man...Ness is in limbo, and we'll see if he rebounds this year- tell me your reasoning for putting him ahead of any of my top ten- I love his skating, and offensive awareness to be sure. Even if he fills out, he may only become a slightly more skilled Freddie Meyer- but without as much jam I would say. A prospect such as Ryan Ellis will even have his struggles making it in the NHL- how do you think Ness compares? I think Ellis is a much better prospect, but even he is not guaranteed to be a top four d-man with his size...

As I have admitted before, I don't know much about Gregoire, having ommitted him from my top ten lists- I am as much a fan as anyone here regarding our prospects, and the fact that he is not really even on my radar is basically all I have to say. Love to be wrong of course, and love it even more if he has NHL talent- which is what I base my list here on- potential.

That's why de Haan goes above Hamonic, because of his potential. IMO Calvin has more upside than Fowler or Gormely, and was a huge reason the Islanders passed in favour of Nino. BTW, Johansen was IMO the favourite choice, but when he was gone Nino was the easy choice.

I won't wax on about Petrov (you're welcome) but had written before that if the Islanders take a chance on Kabanov, this is an excellent sign about Petrov- that the Islanders are showing support for Petrov, and that he will be given a chance to make the big club this year. These high-end Russians come with a pride factor- but if you coddle them a little, the skill they bring is more than worth it. Petrov jumps even higher on our prospect list today because the Islanders are showing that they are willing to bring in other Russians- a sure sign they are willing to make Petrov happy. Everyone will be amazed when these two kids line up in the pre-season together...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Donovan's ceiling is as a 5 or 6 d-man...Ness is in limbo, and we'll see if he rebounds this year- tell me your reasoning for putting him ahead of any of my top ten- I love his skating, and offensive awareness to be sure. Even if he fills out, he may only become a slightly more skilled Freddie Meyer-

As I have admitted before, I don't know much about Gregoire, having ommitted him from my top ten lists- I am as much a fan as anyone here regarding our prospects, and the fact that he is not really even on my radar is basically all I have to say. Love to be wrong of course, and love it even more if he has NHL talent- which is what I base my list here on- potential.
With all due respect, your bias against American players is ridiculous.

Between Team USA and Denver, Donovan leapfrogged other more heralded players to the top pairing (that includes everyone's favorite risk-taking offensive defenseman who needs to get a clue in his own zone, the one and only John Carlson). As a freshman, he was right up there in the running for best overall NCAA defenseman this past season (with fellow Isles prospect Blake Kessel, yet Kessel is two years older than him). After all he accomplished this season, having guys like Lee (unbelievable year at a lower level and hasn't even entered college yet), Nelson (ditto), and Kabanov (highly skilled head case who only spent 30% of last year playing hockey) ahead of him is totally unfounded. And it's debatable as to whether Ullstrom (underwhelming year in the SEL), Koskinen (good player but spent the entire year hurt), and Poulin (coming off the strength of one year whereas Donovan put together back-to-back great seasons) should be ahead of him as well. After watching him 9-10 times this year myself, I am going on record: to say he has a ceiling as a bottom pairing defenseman is ludicrous. If the 2008 Draft happened again today, he'd be taken in the bottom third of the first round.

Ness is in a crap program at Minnesota, but you can't watch the guy and walk away saying he doesn't have high-end skills. Sure, he's small, like Dan Boyle and Brian Rafalski and Francis Bouillon and our own Jack Hillen. But he skates like the wind, he shows wonderful stick work, and his hockey sense is off the charts. Just because he probably shouldn't make the top ten in what is now an exceptionally deep organization is no reason to say he's worth writing off. There's a reason the Isles are desperately trying to pry him from that program and put him in Bridgeport.

As for Gregoire, he won't crack a top six if Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Niederreiter, Petrov, and Kabanov all pan out, but he'll be a great bottom six complement to that scoring contingent. While his strengths won't pop your eyes out (hockey sense and stickhandling are his biggest), his game has zero weaknesses to it. He has the hands to score 20 NHL goals someday. Failing that, he can be a rich man's Richard Park on the wing (back when Park was still effective).

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Donovan's ceiling is as a 5 or 6 d-man...Ness is in limbo, and we'll see if he rebounds this year- tell me your reasoning for putting him ahead of any of my top ten- I love his skating, and offensive awareness to be sure. Even if he fills out, he may only become a slightly more skilled Freddie Meyer- but without as much jam I would say. A prospect such as Ryan Ellis will even have his struggles making it in the NHL- how do you think Ness compares? I think Ellis is a much better prospect, but even he is not guaranteed to be a top four d-man with his size...

That's why de Haan goes above Hamonic, because of his potential. IMO Calvin has more upside than Fowler or Gormely, and was a huge reason the Islanders passed in favour of Nino. BTW, Johansen was IMO the favourite choice, but when he was gone Nino was the easy choice.

I won't wax on about Petrov (you're welcome) but had written before that if the Islanders take a chance on Kabanov, this is an excellent sign about Petrov- that the Islanders are showing support for Petrov, and that he will be given a chance to make the big club this year. These high-end Russians come with a pride factor- but if you coddle them a little, the skill they bring is more than worth it. Petrov jumps even higher on our prospect list today because the Islanders are showing that they are willing to bring in other Russians- a sure sign they are willing to make Petrov happy. Everyone will be amazed when these two kids line up in the pre-season together...
donovan's CEILING is a bottom pair d-man? negative.

islandermaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
donovan's CEILING is a bottom pair d-man? negative.
Dude was the number one man for the WJC's USA team and for one of teh elite college teams as a Freshman. Yeah, his ceiling as a bottom pairing guy is way off. He has top four offensive potential. Needs polish in his own end, in college he relies to much on skill because no one cans top him.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote