HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Incoherent Ramblings OR Canucks questions & notes

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Incoherent Ramblings OR Canucks questions & notes

- While much has been made about Naslund & Bertuzzi (outside of one game) not playing well in the pre-season, anyone else dissapointed that Brendan Morrison has decided to be a complete no-show thus far? What's going on, Brendan?

- Hedberg's knee is becoming a problem too late in the pre-season for me. Crawford - lt this guy heal 100%, even if that means playing Cloutier the last two games. We cannot afford to go into the season with Hedberg's stiches coming out every few hours.

- Sedin's are playing great. But that's not my favorite part about all this. My favorite part.. my absolutely FAVORITE thing perhaps EVER in hockey will be when we are all able to collectivly go to the NHL Talk & Prospects boards and make a giant "I TOLD YOU SO!' post, when Daniel has 20 goals & Henrik 50 - 60 points by seasons end. The backtalking of the Canuck fans who hate the Sedin's are going to be indeed great, too. I can hear it now, 'Uh.. yeah. well, we all knew they were talented.. and .. uhh..'. *sighs* I can't wait.

- Keane had a good night tonight, but I still hope he doesn't get signed. I worry Burke will offer him $1 million or so. If he wants to bring him on at $400k or so, I'm okay with that. But is anyone other than me thinking that Darren Langdon is never going to see another game of icetime ever as a Canuck? The depth on the 4th line is ridiculous - how will he play 40+ games like last year?

- I hope this Ohlund/Jovanovski idea that Crawford flirted with is a passing fancy. It sounds like it is. While it's interesting, I do not want to see it. I think by spreading them out, we are getting more out of Sopel & Malik than we might normally - which I'm okay with. We still need one more good defenseman though - I'm hoping Allen can step it up here, but if not, I'd like to see Sami Salo get an increased role on the team. I'm not sure if Crawford doesn't like him or not, but Salo has played excellent & much more passionate hockey that I've ever seen him play in Ottawa.

- The Canucks could have 5 50-point getters next year. Wow.

- Okay, Jason King - interesting, but will it last? I'm not sure. I say if King plays two more strong games, he's got a roster spot. But he's still got a long ways to go. At this point, he's outplayed most of the veterans on the squad.

- I don't like the idea that some have posted about giving Cooke a wackload of ice time. I feel that if you give a guy like Cooke too much ice time, he'll start to hurt you. Cooke is a good player, but he does not have the skill level required to be a top 6 forward on a good team like the Canucks. Let's not screw up a good thing. Leave Cooke on the 3rd line, he's money there.

- I'm expecting another strong season for Linden, and I truely feel that he will be perhaps the edge that puts us over the top in the playoffs for some games Linden has that 'big game' presence that few players have. In the playoffs, Linden can be as important to us as a Henrik Sedin or a Mattias Ohlund. God I'm glad we have him back.

- I think & hope Burke stands pat until around December at the earliest, unless we start dreadfully (which I don't forsee happening). Let's see how this team can play with the group we have now.

- Does anyone think that Dave Nonis & Steve Tambellini are still assistant GM's to Burke by this time next year? I don't. Someone is bound to hire one or both of these guys. I hope we have guys in the organization that can replace them.

- On RJ Umberger. I feel many of us here downplay how good of a prospect he can be, potentially. While I am not advocating we throw money at him, I think Burke ought to protect his asset here as best he can. RJ still has terrific upside, and yes, he can be inconsistant, but name me 5 other guys in any 1st round draft class that aren't. Many, many young guys are inconsistant. This can be cured. Furthermore, if RJ spends even one more year as OSU, it'll stall his development. Again, not saying to throw a million bucks at him. But find a way to do it, preferably before New Years.

- One area where we may be able to improve upon that I feel maybe some are not necessarily looking at is on defense, particularly another top 4, left-side defenseman. Not to get on Allen's & Slegr's case, but I'm talking around the deadline. To me, Ohlund/Sopel looks fine for next year - I know some don't like Sopel, but it worked for us last year. And while Malik/Jovo isn't bad, Malik/Salo I feel would be a great pairing, both can jump in at times, both are big, both can move the puck. That's a solid pairing right there. While some might say it's not fast enough, Ohlund/Sopel are no faster, and Salo, while no speed demon, is so good positionally (as is Malik), that I wouldn't forsee too many problems here. Anyhow, just for example, let's say the Sharks were out of the playoff picture in February - why not pick up a Mike Rathje for a prospect or a pick? The guy is huge, a very, very good #2/3 man on any team, can play 20 minutes a game, and would be a UFA the following season. I bet he could be had for a song - consider what they got for Ragnarsson last year? McGillis? Which they got a 2nd round pick for? If we could move off Umberger (unsigned, let's say) for Rathje in February, consider me SOLD on Burke wanting to win a cup. A defense of Ohlund/Sopel, Rathje or another left-side, very good defenseman like him/Jovo, Malik/Salo, to me, is right up there with some of the best bluelines in the league.

- On secondary scoring, don't believe the hype. Unless you believe the Sedin's are going nowhere, this will probobly not be an issue next year. We had 8 guys who had 10 goals last year. We could feasably have 6 - 9 20-goal scorers next year too (9 is VERY VERY unlikely, but 6 is quite reasonable).

- On Naslund & Bertuzzi & them possibly being injured. I believe part of the reason Arvedson was signed is that he could replace Naslund if he was injured. Not greatly, mind you, but how many guys can replace Naslund? What I mean is, Arvedson could be put in Naslund's spot for, say, 20 games if we had to, and I don't think we'd be flying down the charts. A Bertuzzi injury would be tougher to handle, but maybe plug Linden in there? Another big guy who can skate, hit, and score. It's not the same, mind you, but not many people can replace these types of guys. What you want are guys who can help you more than they hurt you and have a history playing top minutes. Arvedson & Linden have BOTH (Linden played top minutes for Years, Arvedson did when he played with Yashin & McEachern).

- Finally, last but not least, but this is about our prospects. While some say they are overrated and others think they're the best thing to come along since crutons, what we do know is that Crawford said, in so much as this is the most talented group he's ever worked with in regards to young prospects at training camp. Lest you forget, 3 years ago when the Sedin's were still considered prospects, the Canucks ranked #2 on HOckey's Future organizational rankings (behind the Panthers with Bouwmeester & Luongo) in terms of 'best prospect pool'. Crawford says we have even better than that? It appears that while the top picks have been somewhat questional under Burke, who can deny the success rate of the lower round picks? Reid & King look like gems, while land rounder Mojzis wsa picked up for nothing by Burke. You look at other late-picks such as Chubarov & Sopel already in our lineup making an impact. I believe Cooke came before Burke, but it goes to show you the tradition is there. I can't think of many other organizations that have the success rate we do with late round picks. Even though Reid, King, Mojzis, and the like have not had NHL careers to speak of yet, there is increasing doubt it seems that they won't. Some say that Burke is a crappy drafter - and while that may be the case, everything rests on the Twins & these late picks. If the Twins pan out and a few late picks, expect to see Burke heralded as one of the best drafters in the league. If not, he will be down in the doldrums with the likes of Pat Quinn.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:06 AM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
- Keane had a good night tonight, but I still hope he doesn't get signed. I worry Burke will offer him $1 million or so. If he wants to bring him on at $400k or so, I'm okay with that. But is anyone other than me thinking that Darren Langdon is never going to see another game of icetime ever as a Canuck? The depth on the 4th line is ridiculous - how will he play 40+ games like last year?
I agree I don't really want to see Keane signed either. I'd like to see the spot open again this year. Let the prospects have something to work for.

But as for Langdon.. who cares if he plays 40 games or more.. ideally the number would be somewhere 15-20 games.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:15 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
I agree I don't really want to see Keane signed either. I'd like to see the spot open again this year. Let the prospects have something to work for.

But as for Langdon.. who cares if he plays 40 games or more.. ideally the number would be somewhere 15-20 games.
Langdon isn't really necessary at this point. We had no enforcers last year when we picked him up but now we have May who will play on the 4th line and Grenier who can be brought up from the farm.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:43 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

test

not banned?

Old
10-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
- Sedin's are playing great. But that's not my favorite part about all this. My favorite part.. my absolutely FAVORITE thing perhaps EVER in hockey will be when we are all able to collectivly go to the NHL Talk & Prospects boards and make a giant "I TOLD YOU SO!' post, when Daniel has 20 goals & Henrik 50 - 60 points by seasons end. were talented.. and .. uhh..'. *sighs* I can't wait.
The Sedins certainly have played extremely well this pre-season and looked poised to have a breakout year. IIRC, wasn't Daniel in the best shape of the entire team when tested? In any case, I expect big things from the twins this year, and hopefully we can all go rub it in all the doubters faces!

Quote:
I agree, I don't want Keane at $1 mil, but anywhere between $500,000-750,000 is okay with me personally. The Canucks lost a lot of leadership and experience when Klatt and Baron left, and although the team is gaining those qualities as a whole, it doesn't hurt to have a 3 time winner such as Keane in the dressing room during a tough post-season game.

As for Langdon, I think he's all but done as a Canuck. May can provide the toughness and enforcement(although not as good) and can play a regular NHL shift. Martin Grenier can also be called up for the tough games. Langdon will likely be exposed in the waiver draft, and hopefully for both the Canucks and Darren, he'll be picked up.

Quote:
- Okay, Jason King - interesting, but will it last? I'm not sure. I say if King plays two more strong games, he's got a roster spot. But he's still got a long ways to go. At this point, he's outplayed most of the veterans on the squad.
The only problem I see is, where does he play? Playing him in a bottom 6 role isn't very productive IMO, and top 6 role may be too much for him right now. Sitting in the press box also isn't much of an option at his age.

Quote:
Anyhow, just for example, let's say the Sharks were out of the playoff picture in February - why not pick up a Mike Rathje for a prospect or a pick? The guy is huge, a very, very good #2/3 man on any team, can play 20 minutes a game, and would be a UFA the following season. I bet he could be had for a song - consider what they got for Ragnarsson last year? McGillis? Which they got a 2nd round pick for? If we could move off Umberger (unsigned, let's say) for Rathje in February, consider me SOLD on Burke wanting to win a cup. A defense of Ohlund/Sopel, Rathje or another left-side, very good defenseman like him/Jovo, Malik/Salo, to me, is right up there with some of the best bluelines in the league.
That would be nice to get a guy like a Rathje at the deadline, but I personally feel that the Canucks would be better suited to get a nasty, physical, crease clearing guy. Rathje's huge, but he doesn't use his size all the much physically. Maybe Allen becomes that crease clearing guy?

Anyways, great post as always Mizral!

Old
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
The Sedins certainly have played extremely well this pre-season and looked poised to have a breakout year.
Quote:
wasn't Daniel in the best shape of the entire team when tested?
Yes he was. Seems as though he's recovered from his back surgery nicely.

I'm still trying to figure out who Shorty said was the player in the worst physical condition. Slegr? Koltsov? Or someone else maybe.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Yes he was. Seems as though he's recovered from his back surgery nicely.

I'm still trying to figure out who Shorty said was the player in the worst physical condition. Slegr? Koltsov? Or someone else maybe.
Wasn't it Fedorov?

Koltsov was in really bad shape as well.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Peter Griffin

I remember people saying that Koltsov was in pretty bad shape.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Mizral

Fedorov was 'near the bottom'. Not sure who was the worst.

Closed Thread