HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #119: Tye McGinn, LW, Gatineau (QMJHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2010, 01:05 PM
  #51
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
I never mentioned race...
Sorry then, but you seemed to imply it as if I was singling out French Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
All im saying is...the teams dont look at geography when making picks...they compile a master list from best to worst and go off that. If everytime their pick comes up a player from the Q is there, they draft them. Assuming you arent too heavy on that position.
I know it has nothing to do with geography, but if you don't think league/competition/style has something to do with selections then I'm not sure what to make of your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Go over to the Buffalo board and read that bumped thread about Tyler Myers. About 10 pages of pure hate for the kid the day he was drafted.
I had nothing but good things to say about Tyler Myers when he was picked. I didn't think he was the best in his draft year (I still don't), but I don't see how this has to do with the argument at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Fact is, most of the people on this board havent seen these guys play, your scouts have. And Philly has pretty good scouts. TRUST THEM.
I trust the Philly scouts, and I trust Holmgren (likely more than anyone on the Flyers' forum). That said, I think there were better directions we could've gone based on what was available at the time. Traditionally, unless a forward is an absolute dynamic offensive weapon in the QMJHL, I don't like selecting forwards from that league. That applies mostly to the current state of the league as I am aware that it has shifted subtly over the years.

I don't think McGinn or Chaput were the two players I would've taken from a league like the QMJHL. Maybe I am feeding right into your argument that scouts don't necessarily look at where a player is located, but once again, they do look at the league/situation/standing of each player they take. We had other options on the board that would've have filled our need better.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
  #52
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
When compiling the 'master list' your scouts already take league/competition style into consideration so they dont have to have a huge drawn out debate before each pick. If they felt Chaput and McGinn were in an inferior league than they wouldnt have ranked them so high.

I was only using Myers as an example of a fan base going off on a guy they havent seen, which is pretty much HF in a nutshell the day after the draft.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:19 PM
  #53
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
When compiling the 'master list' your scouts already take league/competition style into consideration so they dont have to have a huge drawn out debate before each pick. If they felt Chaput and McGinn were in an inferior league than they wouldnt have ranked them so high.
That's a given. They would not have selected Chaput and McGinn had they felt those players had the opportunity to succeed. They clearly weighed league, competition, style, etc into the equation beforehand.

That doesn't mean that I don't have the right to question it. I trust our scouts, but I think it was a poor decision for a number of reasons:

1. I have already expressed how I feel about selecting role-player/depth type forwards from the QMJHL in recent years.

2. I think we should've been looking for more dynamic offensive players in general as opposed to McGinn and Chaput.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
I was only using Myers as an example of a fan base going off on a guy they havent seen, which is pretty much HF in a nutshell the day after the draft.
I know exactly what you mean. Most of HF is based on panic, misunderstanding, and exaggeration. I assure you though that I'm not your typical HFboards computer screen analyst.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
  #54
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I trust the Philly scouts, and I trust Holmgren (likely more than anyone on the Flyers' forum). That said, I think there were better directions we could've gone based on what was available at the time. Traditionally, unless a forward is an absolute dynamic offensive weapon in the QMJHL, I don't like selecting forwards from that league. That applies mostly to the current state of the league as I am aware that it has shifted subtly over the years.

I don't think McGinn or Chaput were the two players I would've taken from a league like the QMJHL. Maybe I am feeding right into your argument that scouts don't necessarily look at where a player is located, but once again, they do look at the league/situation/standing of each player they take. We had other options on the board that would've have filled our need better.
If you trust the scouts, why would you go in a different direction?

Since the scouts have seen the players, and the Flyers have an impeccable record of drafting from the Q, why question these picks? \

The scouts are looking at one thing: is this guy a potential NHLer down the road with the right development, support and effort? Homer seems really chuffed with Chaput, McGinn and Parks in particular.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:35 PM
  #55
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If you trust the scouts, why would you go in a different direction?
It's my job to analyze/question. Wouldn't it be boring if I put out a top 20 where every selected players has a guaranteed NHL career?

I can trust the Flyers' scouts, but I'm not going to completely accept things at face value just because of our track record.

The reality is that we were in a situation this year...hmmm. Actually, let me explain my thinking this way. Hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying.

Firstly, we absolutely had to go forward-heavy this year regardless. We need some bluechip wingers and we will eventually have to get some potential top pairing defensemen, but this year, we pretty much had to work with what we had.

We already have Maroon, Legein, Nodl, Wellwood, Testwuide, etc. We have a number of players that are most likely third liners/complimentary forwards already. Even if some don't make it, we have a solid crop of forwards with NHL potential. There are no game-changers there though. We have players that are relatively safer with very little dynamic potential. That's the direction we pretty much went again in this draft. We picked a few players that are max 2nd liners (even though that might be a stretch before we see more of their development) and can fill a role as complimentary forwards. We already had a number of those.

I would've much rather have gotten a dynamic weapon with huge potential for success despite huge potential for failure this year. I think this was the draft class to take that chance, particularly with some of the names that were falling.

Chaput is likely my favorite selection from this year's group, and I don't even like him very much. We'll have to wait and see if he grows on me or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Since the scouts have seen the players, and the Flyers have an impeccable record of drafting from the Q, why question these picks?
Again, I'm not going to go about this on blind faith. It's my job to critique, analyze, and question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The scouts are looking at one thing: is this guy a potential NHLer down the road with the right development, support and effort? Homer seems really chuffed with Chaput, McGinn and Parks in particular.
I've noted Holmgren's impressions on Chaput, McGinn, and Parks. I'm in the middle of my draft review for HF. We'll know what we have in McGinn by the end of next season I think. Chaput and Parks we won't have a baseline on for about two to maybe even three years.

We'll see how it goes, but again, I'm not optimistic about this draft class or our use of the limited picks we had this year.

There isn't much room to complain because they tried to do their best with the little they had. I just think we should have approached it differently.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:26 PM
  #56
Dr. Octagon
Registered User
 
Dr. Octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Born on Jupiter
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It's my job to analyze/question. Wouldn't it be boring if I put out a top 20 where every selected players has a guaranteed NHL career?

I can trust the Flyers' scouts, but I'm not going to completely accept things at face value just because of our track record.

The reality is that we were in a situation this year...hmmm. Actually, let me explain my thinking this way. Hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying.

Firstly, we absolutely had to go forward-heavy this year regardless. We need some bluechip wingers and we will eventually have to get some potential top pairing defensemen, but this year, we pretty much had to work with what we had.

We already have Maroon, Legein, Nodl, Wellwood, Testwuide, etc. We have a number of players that are most likely third liners/complimentary forwards already. Even if some don't make it, we have a solid crop of forwards with NHL potential. There are no game-changers there though. We have players that are relatively safer with very little dynamic potential. That's the direction we pretty much went again in this draft. We picked a few players that are max 2nd liners (even though that might be a stretch before we see more of their development) and can fill a role as complimentary forwards. We already had a number of those.

I would've much rather have gotten a dynamic weapon with huge potential for success despite huge potential for failure this year. I think this was the draft class to take that chance, particularly with some of the names that were falling.

Chaput is likely my favorite selection from this year's group, and I don't even like him very much. We'll have to wait and see if he grows on me or not.



Again, I'm not going to go about this on blind faith. It's my job to critique, analyze, and question.



I've noted Holmgren's impressions on Chaput, McGinn, and Parks. I'm in the middle of my draft review for HF. We'll know what we have in McGinn by the end of next season I think. Chaput and Parks we won't have a baseline on for about two to maybe even three years.

We'll see how it goes, but again, I'm not optimistic about this draft class or our use of the limited picks we had this year.

There isn't much room to complain because they tried to do their best with the little they had. I just think we should have approached it differently.
Let me save you some time...you and I have a better chance of seeing Jesus tonight than these players ever making the Flyers. You're arguing in circles over nothing. They didn't miss any gems that you think you know about, and if they did then every other team is just as dumb because they all passed on your little boy-crushes as well. You don't stock the cupboard in rounds 4-7...if anything, making the AHL will be the ceiling for these guys. These are all shot in the dark picks and all will most likely never make an impact in the organization. You and this Rocket guy need to stop acting like prospect gurus. I trust the scouts who have actually watched these kids in person and have held conversations with them.

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:35 PM
  #57
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
Let me save you some time...you and I have a better chance of seeing Jesus tonight than these players ever making the Flyers.
Probably. That doesn't mean you just toss away draft picks. The Flyers have done pretty well into the third round recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
You're arguing in circles over nothing. They didn't miss any gems that you think you know about, and if they did then every other team is just as dumb because they all passed on your little boy-crushes as well.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
You don't stock the cupboard in rounds 4-7...if anything, making the AHL will be the ceiling for these guys.
You fill out your prospect pool 4-7, and if you need a goalie, 4-7 picks are great. I honestly wouldn't take a goalie before the 3rd.

Prospect pool depth is just as important as high-end prospects. These are the guys that fill out your AHL teams and help your future stars develop.

You're just like every other HFBoards member that considers 1st rounders worth more than the NHL players they produce. Reality says that every pick is important. You never know how and when it will impact your organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
These are all shot in the dark picks and all will most likely never make an impact in the organization.
Obviously not all. Chances are very few will, if any. That's just the way it is. So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
You and this Rocket guy need to stop acting like prospect gurus.
Why? Rocket clearly seems like he knows quite a bit about the QMJHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
I trust the scouts who have actually watched these kids in person and have held conversations with them.
Like HF Staff members?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
  #58
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Why? Rocket clearly seems like he knows quite a bit about the QMJHL.
You mean Lalalaprise? Because I KNOW he knows his stuff where the Q is concerned, and I trust his opinion beyond 99% of the people on HF - his word is gold.

Sorry Pikachu - not trying to rip on you, but I doubt you've seen more Q games than Lalalaprise.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:03 PM
  #59
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You mean Lalalaprise?
Yeah. I just went with "Rocket" because that's what the other guy said, and who he seemed to be referring to. I'm not great with usernames, particularly ones I've seen once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Because I KNOW he knows his stuff where the Q is concerned, and I trust his opinion beyond 99% of the people on HF - his word is gold.
Yeah he seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to the QMJHL. I have a friend from the Sabres board that I've known for a while, even before she joined HF. She's obsessed with the Q and knows her stuff as well. So yeah, people who know what they're talking about are definitely around. You just have to sift through a lot of nonsense usually to recognize who those people are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Sorry Pikachu - not trying to rip on you, but I doubt you've seen more Q games than Lalalaprise.
Why is Pikachu involved? Did he say something to Lalalaprise that I missed?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
  #60
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Why is Pikachu involved? Did he say something to Lalalaprise that I missed?
A misunderstanding. I saw Rocket and assumed you were referring to PycckuuRocket10/Pikachu.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
  #61
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
A misunderstanding. I saw Rocket and assumed you were referring to PycckuuRocket10/Pikachu.
Stemmed from my misunderstanding anyway. My fault.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
  #62
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If you trust the scouts, why would you go in a different direction?

Since the scouts have seen the players, and the Flyers have an impeccable record of drafting from the Q, why question these picks? \

The scouts are looking at one thing: is this guy a potential NHLer down the road with the right development, support and effort? Homer seems really chuffed with Chaput, McGinn and Parks in particular.
Larry I agree with you 100% You have to have faith in your organization. After all going into the last season, no franchise in the NHL has a better winning percentage since 1967 than the Flyers. And that is a fact


Last edited by Hockeypete49: 06-29-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
  #63
MarcPiquesFan
Registered User
 
MarcPiquesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hull
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
As a Gatineau's season ticket holder, it makes two years that I see McGinn play almost every winter weeks, so I'm well place to give you some infos on him. In brief, big foward, strong, great shoot and able to drop the gloves. After two years, he's certainly my fav foward of the Olympiques! One thing sure, he's exactly the kind of player Flyers like. A big, strong foward, great in the front of the net. Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.

I've not found a lot of videos of him on youtube, but here's a few :
2 on 1 goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fp2RtAfFo
Playoff goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqvr6KtbvI
Him vs Marcoux : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6bquYc7_8

And here's one of my fav goal from him this season. Stealing the puck from a defenseman and sniping it in the top corner of the best Q goalie Jake Allen. (The first goal of the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46p_3qgCuOM

Hope you'll like him! He's very appreciate of the fans here at Gatineau and I'm sure he'll play in the NHL a day.

MarcPiquesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:57 PM
  #64
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
As a Gatineau's season ticket holder, it makes two years that I see McGinn play almost every winter weeks, so I'm well place to give you some infos on him. In brief, big foward, strong, great shoot and able to drop the gloves. After two years, he's certainly my fav foward of the Olympiques! One thing sure, he's exactly the kind of player Flyers like. A big, strong foward, great in the front of the net. Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.

I've not found a lot of videos of him on youtube, but here's a few :
2 on 1 goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fp2RtAfFo
Playoff goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqvr6KtbvI
Him vs Marcoux : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6bquYc7_8

And here's one of my fav goal from him this season. Stealing the puck from a defenseman and sniping it in the top corner of the best Q goalie Jake Allen. (The first goal of the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46p_3qgCuOM

Hope you'll like him! He's very appreciate of the fans here at Gatineau and I'm sure he'll play in the NHL a day.
Thank you! Go Go Gatineau!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:44 PM
  #65
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.
Merci, Marc, but I don't think you're going to get to see Tye come back next year. Paul Holmgren thinks he will play for the Phantoms in the AHL....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:49 PM
  #66
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
As a Gatineau's season ticket holder, it makes two years that I see McGinn play almost every winter weeks, so I'm well place to give you some infos on him. In brief, big foward, strong, great shoot and able to drop the gloves. After two years, he's certainly my fav foward of the Olympiques! One thing sure, he's exactly the kind of player Flyers like. A big, strong foward, great in the front of the net. Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.

I've not found a lot of videos of him on youtube, but here's a few :
2 on 1 goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fp2RtAfFo
Playoff goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqvr6KtbvI
Him vs Marcoux : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6bquYc7_8

And here's one of my fav goal from him this season. Stealing the puck from a defenseman and sniping it in the top corner of the best Q goalie Jake Allen. (The first goal of the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46p_3qgCuOM

Hope you'll like him! He's very appreciate of the fans here at Gatineau and I'm sure he'll play in the NHL a day.
Thanks for your input. I've actually been a Gatineau fan since the days of Giroux for obvious reasons. They've become my QMJHL team, if I had to pick one. They get a lot of milage on my streams.

I agree that he's the proto-typical Flyers' forward. He's a hard-worker and can do the things we want him to. I just thought that this year we should've gone in a different direction. I thought we basically had enough of what players like McGinn brought to the table.

Then again some will argue that you can't really have too much of a good thing.

It's not that I'm knocking our draft year because I particularly hate the players. I just don't think they're what we should have been going after.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:34 AM
  #67
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
Let me save you some time...you and I have a better chance of seeing Jesus tonight than these players ever making the Flyers.
You must be kidding me right? This is the worst statement i have ever heard on hfboards. You must have a crystal ball somewhere around there


Was darroll powe ever projected to be an NHL player?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
  #68
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
As a Gatineau's season ticket holder, it makes two years that I see McGinn play almost every winter weeks, so I'm well place to give you some infos on him. In brief, big foward, strong, great shoot and able to drop the gloves. After two years, he's certainly my fav foward of the Olympiques! One thing sure, he's exactly the kind of player Flyers like. A big, strong foward, great in the front of the net. Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.

I've not found a lot of videos of him on youtube, but here's a few :
2 on 1 goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fp2RtAfFo
Playoff goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqvr6KtbvI
Him vs Marcoux : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6bquYc7_8

And here's one of my fav goal from him this season. Stealing the puck from a defenseman and sniping it in the top corner of the best Q goalie Jake Allen. (The first goal of the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46p_3qgCuOM

Hope you'll like him! He's very appreciate of the fans here at Gatineau and I'm sure he'll play in the NHL a day.
Thanks for the info He is exactly the type forward this team needs. I love guys who go hard to the net with a bad attitude. I may be wrong but it does look like his major days are over. I think I may be in the minority here. But I have liked what Homer has done as far as the draft and the free agent pickups he grabbed late this past season. Now if he can pick up a decent defenceman or two and a tender watch out Chris, any idea when Kevin Marshall makes the big club? The fans here in Philly are going to love his style of play.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:20 AM
  #69
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPiquesFan View Post
As a Gatineau's season ticket holder, it makes two years that I see McGinn play almost every winter weeks, so I'm well place to give you some infos on him. In brief, big foward, strong, great shoot and able to drop the gloves. After two years, he's certainly my fav foward of the Olympiques! One thing sure, he's exactly the kind of player Flyers like. A big, strong foward, great in the front of the net. Next season, he's a 50-goal candidate, which is pretty rare in the Q since a few year. He'll probably be the brst foward of the League next season and with a coach like Benoît Groulx (develop players like Max Talbot and Claude Giroux), his play will surely increase.

I've not found a lot of videos of him on youtube, but here's a few :
2 on 1 goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fp2RtAfFo
Playoff goal : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqvr6KtbvI
Him vs Marcoux : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb6bquYc7_8

And here's one of my fav goal from him this season. Stealing the puck from a defenseman and sniping it in the top corner of the best Q goalie Jake Allen. (The first goal of the video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46p_3qgCuOM

Hope you'll like him! He's very appreciate of the fans here at Gatineau and I'm sure he'll play in the NHL a day.
MarcPiquesFan How is his foot speed? It looks that he has some decent mobility. Once again thanks for your input. We here on the boards greatly appreciate it.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:40 AM
  #70
MarcPiquesFan
Registered User
 
MarcPiquesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hull
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
It sure that he's not the most fluid player I've ever seen and it's probably his biggest default... But he'll probably increase that this year and it's probably what the Flyers will ask him to work on this season.

For Marshall, I remember that he was one of my fav defenseman in the Q two years ago. He was the captain of his team (Québec) and he was a true captain. I never understand why Team Canada return him at home...

MarcPiquesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
  #71
Dr. Octagon
Registered User
 
Dr. Octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Born on Jupiter
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You must be kidding me right? This is the worst statement i have ever heard on hfboards. You must have a crystal ball somewhere around there


Was darroll powe ever projected to be an NHL player?
Please, I guess you haven't wandered over to the Trade Rumors and FA board lately.

No crystal ball...it's called statistics. About 90% of picks after round 3 never sniff the NHL. And that # is probably higher for the Flyers.

For every Powe you have 20 guys who would be lucky to make the ECHL. See for yourself. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00007439.html

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
  #72
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
No crystal ball...it's called statistics. About 90% of picks after round 3 never sniff the NHL. And that # is probably higher for the Flyers.
I haven't taken the time to check the actual numbers, nor will I. It's far too time consuming to map out every team's draft resume in rounds 3 and up for the past two decades.

That said, the Flyers are one of the best drafting organizations in NHL history. That's a fact. Other people have done the numbers on it, so there's no need to get into it.

So I find it very hard to believe you when you say, "And that # is probably higher for the Flyers."

Here's a hint: If you're going to come in here with an argument, you should say things that make sense. Less people will call you out.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
  #73
Dr. Octagon
Registered User
 
Dr. Octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Born on Jupiter
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I haven't taken the time to check the actual numbers, nor will I. It's far too time consuming to map out every team's draft resume in rounds 3 and up for the past two decades.

That said, the Flyers are one of the best drafting organizations in NHL history. That's a fact. Other people have done the numbers on it, so there's no need to get into it.

So I find it very hard to believe you when you say, "And that # is probably higher for the Flyers."

Here's a hint: If you're going to come in here with an argument, you should say things that make sense. Less people will call you out.
OK, here are some actual numbers

http://habswatch.blogspot.com/2010/0...oes-it_15.html
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...he-scouts.aspx
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com...hich-nhl-teams (some good graphs in in this one)

So clearly the Flyers are far from one of the best drafting teams. They are in the middle of the pack in regards to draft success. I'm not sure what numbers you were looking at. Their first round picks have been good, especially in the 20's, but after that they are terrible. I know that I was only referring to picks after round 3, but I'll give you serious kudos if you can name the last 2nd round pick that made an impact (without looking it up). Their 2nd rounders (the round that produced Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Dave Bolland, L. Erikkson, Derek Roy, Paul Martin, etc.) have been embarrasing.

Does my argument make sense?? Do those facts make sense? Pontificating more frequently than everyone else doesn't make you right.

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
  #74
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You must be kidding me right? This is the worst statement i have ever heard on hfboards. You must have a crystal ball somewhere around there


Was darroll powe ever projected to be an NHL player?
I think the ultimate point is there's no point in whining too much about these picks when the vast majority of them don't pan out.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
  #75
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
OK, here are some actual numbers

http://habswatch.blogspot.com/2010/0...oes-it_15.html
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...he-scouts.aspx
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com...hich-nhl-teams (some good graphs in in this one)

So clearly the Flyers are far from one of the best drafting teams. They are in the middle of the pack in regards to draft success. I'm not sure what numbers you were looking at. Their first round picks have been good, especially in the 20's, but after that they are terrible. I know that I was only referring to picks after round 3, but I'll give you serious kudos if you can name the last 2nd round pick that made an impact (without looking it up). Their 2nd rounders (the round that produced Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Dave Bolland, L. Erikkson, Derek Roy, Paul Martin, etc.) have been embarrasing.

Does my argument make sense?? Do those facts make sense? Pontificating more frequently than everyone else doesn't make you right.
There are flaws in all of these links you included; in particular the time frame (1999-2005 the Flyers did not draft very significantly outside of Pitkanen/Woywitka and goalies). The other flaw is the level of talent found in the draft. Sources I was referencing (and I wished I had saved the link somewhere because I can't for the life of me remember what the hell website did it) included the impact/quality of NHLers as well as the quantity.

Basically, these articles hold the same flaw as HF's "Five Years Later Draft Review." I did the recent one on the 2005 draft class and there were some flaws. It's not a perfect science or easy to quantify in any way, shape, or form, so HF, like these other websites, takes the easy way out. They make it completely subjective and skew it in order to fit needs. HF bases "success" on number of players that have played 10+ games and weigh that against the number of man-games played by the players drafted. It's not perfect at all.

I'm the one who wrote it. Who better to note the flaws in it?

Unfortunately those flaws are inherent unless you look at it objectively AND subjectively. These are the kinds of articles that I could toy with and make up to fit whatever argument I wanted to portray.

The reality of it is that the Flyers have always been one of the best drafting organizations. And now that I have taken a little deeper glance at it, you're sort of right. We haven't necessarily had major success in the 3rd round or beyond. I can guarantee that most other teams do not either.

That said, most of those other teams would kill for our kind of success in the first, particularly the late first, round.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.