HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Marc Savard's NTC trade list [edit: conflicting reports]

Old
06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

vCash: 500
Savard is signed for 4.2 per season. 3 million a year less than Gomez.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
St-Louis Blues and their fans have seen a lot of young players break out recently and most of them said Eller is NHL ready but this is exactly why Montreal burned out so many young players. Martin would basically take a 21-years-old center with only 1 year as a pro in the AHL and place him in a position in which he needs to produce at a high level, on a regular basis and as a winger with 1c/2a centers in a crazy market with high expectations because of the playoffs run. In short, he'd have all the odds of failing and disappoint his teammates, coaches, fans and himself. Just like Price, Latendresse, Pacioretty, Higgins, Ribeiro...

If Gauthier is truly interested by Savard, he should be fired, hired again and re-fired to add the insult.

Thomas Plekanec
2005-2006: 9-20-29 in 67 games, TOI/G of 13:15 on the 4th line behind Koivu, Ribeiro and Bulis
2006-2007: 20-27-47 in 81 games, TOI/G of 15:58 sharing 2nd/3rd line duties with Bonk
2007-2008: 29-40-69 in 81 games, TOI/G of 18:04 on the 2nd line

Jaroslav Halak
2006-2007: 10-6-0 ___ .906 - 2.89
2007-2008: 2-1-1 ___ .934 - 2.11
2008-2009: 18-14-1 ___ .915 - 2.86
2009-2010: 26-13-5 ___ .924 - 2.40

Every young Habs since the lock out have all immediately been placed in a boom-or-bust situation and none of them lived up to the expectations forced upon them. And all of them took a step backward after predictably failing.

Except Plekanec and Halak. They were given some time in support roles and isn't it funny, they are the only ones who reached their potential.
Martin wasn't involved with over half of those players you have listed. The expectations were placed high on those players mostly by the over hyped media and fan base in Montreal.

Please tell me where Martin ruined 21 year old players, and I will tell you Hossa, Alfredsson, Spezza, Havlat and others will say a different tune.

The players mentioned were Gainey's, and I would only say Latendresse, Price and Patches were rushed. Were they ruined? I would say no as look what Lat's did in Minny, Patches is only 21 now and Price is 22 and has shown he can play in this league.

Higgins wasn't rushed, he was ready. He just burned out.

Ribs. Ribs was always going to be a good player, just not in Montreal because of the unrealistic expectations from the fans and media, and the constant scrutiny from media in any dealings with Ribs, or Lats for that matter.

Martin is not at fault for one of those players.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:50 AM
marc88

I really hope he comes here but like most good things for the habs, it won't happen

marc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
RE-HABS

Montreal doesn't need a small forward on the decline and now with injury issues tying up salary space.

Better options are available before Savard.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:12 AM
CPrice

This is the biggest dick move by PC if this trade goes down. Sign a guy to a career ending contract for a hometown discount then trade him soon thereafter.

I will be shocked if this goes down (and it looks like it might)

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Just on contract alone, I'd do some deal of Gomez + for Savard. He's a good player, and better than Gomez, and I believe cheaper.
Gomez is a better skater and a far superior pker than savard... but savvy pretty much wins in everything else, including financials.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Martin wasn't involved with over half of those players you have listed. The expectations were placed high on those players mostly by the over hyped media and fan base in Montreal.

Please tell me where Martin ruined 21 year old players, and I will tell you Hossa, Alfredsson, Spezza, Havlat and others will say a different tune.

The players mentioned were Gainey's, and I would only say Latendresse, Price and Patches were rushed. Were they ruined? I would say no as look what Lat's did in Minny, Patches is only 21 now and Price is 22 and has shown he can play in this league.

Higgins wasn't rushed, he was ready. He just burned out.

Ribs. Ribs was always going to be a good player, just not in Montreal because of the unrealistic expectations from the fans and media, and the constant scrutiny from media in any dealings with Ribs, or Lats for that matter.

Martin is not at fault for one of those players.
Oh, I'm not saying Martin is bad with young players. That's not what I was trying to say. In fact I think his work ethic obsession is a good thing for them. The post I quoted had Eller on the first line as winger and I just thought that it would be rushing him a lot and placing him in a position he's not likely to be successful in.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
http://www.csnne.com/06/27/10/Savard...96&feedID=3944

Early in the day a Savard deal seemed imminent, as reports abounded that the center had agreed to waive his no-trade clause for two teams. However, don't believe any of those reports that have him waiving his no-trade rights this week to okay a deal to the Montreal Canadiens. The Habs aren't on the list of teams that the skilled center would approve a deal to, and it's curious that something like that was leaked out for public consumption.

Sources continue to maintain Savard would okay a deal to Ottawa or Toronto. given the areas' close proximity to his children, and that he'd also consider Chicago if the Blackhawks were able to repair their salary cap woes.

FWIW...............

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Just on contract alone, I'd do some deal of Gomez + for Savard. He's a good player, and better than Gomez, and I believe cheaper.
I'd wave or trade Gomez to get Savard.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Gomez is a better skater and a far superior pker than savard... but savvy pretty much wins in everything else, including financials.
Also, both their true skills are about passing and Savard is better at it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Also, both their true skills are about passing and Savard is better at it.
Gomez never played with a Kovalchuk or a Kessel....

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

Early in the day a Savard deal seemed imminent, as reports abounded that the center had agreed to waive his no-trade clause for two teams. However, don't believe any of those reports that have him waiving his no-trade rights this week to okay a deal to the Montreal Canadiens. The Habs aren't on the list of teams that the skilled center would approve a deal to, and it's curious that something like that was leaked out for public consumption.

Sources continue to maintain Savard would okay a deal to Ottawa or Toronto. given the areas' close proximity to his children, and that he'd also consider Chicago if the Blackhawks were able to repair their salary cap woes.

FWIW...............
And thank goodness for that!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:10 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
No doubt we don't need him we have Gomez, Pleks who both can play in all situations and Eller. We need a tough scoring winger more than anything else.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Same here Gomez is a much classier player and healthier.
and a stanley cup champion
where was it that Savard won his cup??.....

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:45 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
You're completely biased. I can find cheaper penalty killers that will equally get the job done. I don't necessarily need/want a 1st line center killing penalties. I'd rather him concentrate on producing which Savard can do a lot more than Gomez. I'd take the guy racking up points than a guy who can do a triple axle.
you do if its an important part of the game and want the best player possible player out there killing penalties and he happens to be 1st line center

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

FWIW...............
True the rumours are right that he's not approved a move to the Habs, but Montreal isn't that far from Ottawa so I think that's reporter speculation. Probably the true reason is all the reasons why some players don't want the Habs.

The Leaf-Bruins bed snuggle continues

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
This is the biggest dick move by PC if this trade goes down. Sign a guy to a career ending contract for a hometown discount then trade him soon thereafter.

I will be shocked if this goes down (and it looks like it might)
Tell that to the guy signing the cheques in Boston. Savard is going to haul in exactly as much money as Scott Gomez over the next four years. As soon as the lean years of Savard's contract kick in expect him to head off into the sunset.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
JayBee*

Gotta love how people just want to "waive" Gomez for Savard. Too funny.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
STOP THIS NONSENSE

If we had no idea what each player made, 9 out of every 10 people would pick Gomez over Savard.

Gomez is worth it just for the way he carries the puck from end to end .... one of the BEST if not the best at doing this. Great skater as well. Evaluate talent for once and forget about the $$'s....

It's depressing to read such things like taking Stephen Weiss over Gomez. INSANITY, pure insanity.
You really need to stop drinking the kool aid. Marc savard is a much better player than Scott gomez and I would take Weiss over Gomez too.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:23 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Tell that to the guy signing the cheques in Boston. Savard is going to haul in exactly as much money as Scott Gomez over the next four years. As soon as the lean years of Savard's contract kick in expect him to head off into the sunset.
in terms of the bruins/habs/leafs or any other "cap team" (ie. those that spend to the cap), then savvy's cap friendly contract > gomez's contract any day of the week and twice on sunday regardless of how much they make in "real world dollars"

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:38 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Sportnet says he has asked to be traded to Toronto or Ottawa. I see a Spezza for Savard swap coming.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You really need to stop drinking the kool aid. Marc savard is a much better player than Scott gomez and I would take Weiss over Gomez too.
The difference is that Gomez is a Stanley Cup winner, a leader and not a **** disturber in the dressing room. I definitely prefer Gomez on my team. I guess I must be drinking the same kool aid...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:41 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
The difference is that Gomez is a Stanley Cup winner, a leader and not a **** disturber in the dressing room. I definitely prefer Gomez on my team. I guess I must be drinking the same kool aid...
Add me to the koolaid drinker and that third period Gomez had against Philly to try to tie game 5 was incredible. He gave everything he had and if the rest of the team would of responded we might of won it. He tried to spark the comeback but too many were already too tired, injured, or didn't care anymore.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Amen to that

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM