HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lebrun: Kings tried to trade for Kovalchuk's rights

Old
06-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Adama0905

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Noshowchuck = Kings or Rangers (if they somehow manage to dump redden) otherwise Medwedev league

Guy stated a dozen times he's not interested in playing for a big market team and Toronto is a very big market team so no chance.
Hmm...okay then....

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Hmm...okay then....
damn forgot to add:

Rangers are the only big market team I could see him ending up. Anyway one thing for sure guy will be overpayed bigtime he's worth around 6 - 6.5 per not more. Crosby is at 8.7 and Kovalchuck is not even close to his level.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:42 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
damn forgot to add:

Rangers are the only big market team I could see him ending up. Anyway one thing for sure guy will be overpayed bigtime he's worth around 6 - 6.5 per not more. Crosby is at 8.7 and Kovalchuck is not even close to his level.
If Kovalchuk stays in the NHL, I think it's on a 42+ year old contract (around 15 years in his case as a 27 year old). I figure the cap hit will be around $7-7.5m, with a fully front-loaded structure.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

At this point, I raise a practical question:

On July 1 when Kovy walks from Jersey, does Lou's trade for one playoff win become more expensive and stupid in hindsight than Don Waddell's trade for Tkachuk to get Atlanta to their first ever playoff appearance?

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

wow thats 112,5 mill commited to one player over 15 years still a lot don't you think. If I were to bet about it, I'll say KHL. Kings for sure are having the space to make it happen question still remains are they going to pay him 7,5 or even more 8+? I doubt so.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:47 AM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
yeah it just seems like a perfect match, He could of course take more money an go back to the Motherland. I definitely see the Rangers and Leafs making offers as well.

The thing Kovalchuk want to be in a winner and not a Loser. That's why he got traded to New Jersey. So why the hell would he go to Toronto? Toronto is not close at making the playoff. For sure if they get Kovalchuk and had Marleau then they become a great team for the playoff. But guest what Marleau all ready sign and Kovalchuk will go to LA or Ranger or Motherland.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
TheSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedro91 View Post
The thing Kovalchuk want to be in a winner and not a Loser. That's why he got traded to New Jersey. So why the hell would he go to Toronto? Toronto is not close at making the playoff. For sure if they get Kovalchuk and had Marleau then they become a great team for the playoff. But guest what Marleau all ready sign and Kovalchuk will go to LA or Ranger or Motherland.
What? You say Kovy wants to go with a winning team and then state that he might sign with the Rangers?

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:58 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
What? You say Kovy wants to go with a winning team and then state that he might sign with the Rangers?
Well, he isn't signing with the Devils either.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:58 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Kovy signs a one-year contract worth whatever the Hawks can give him and fit comfortably under the cap. Win the Stanley Cup and then bolt to the KHL for his big payday.
(for the mentally challenged)

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
TheSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Well, he isn't signing with the Devils either.
I never said he would

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Tavaresfan91

kovalchuck will be an islander

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I fully expect the Kings to be in on Kovy. Hopefully they land Kovalchuk, but I think they get priced out of the Hamhuis sweepstakes.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I fully expect the Kings to be in on Kovy. Hopefully they land Kovalchuk, but I think they get priced out of the Hamhuis sweepstakes.
Which isnt necessarily a bad thing considering all the rumors floating around about how much hes going to want and all the talk of him being a hardcore union guy. Solid defenseman but is he really worth 4.5+?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Noshowchuck = Kings or Rangers (if they somehow manage to dump redden) otherwise Medwedev league

Guy stated a dozen times he's not interested in playing for a big market team and Toronto is a very big market team so no chance.
Aren't LA and NY the two biggest markets in the league?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:17 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Not as "hockey" markets. The Kings would have to win back-to-back Cups for Kovalchuk to have a problem getting noticed in LA. Even then I'm not so sure that he would be recognized often.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:20 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

When was the last time that a free agent, who was widely speculated to sign with a particular team, did actually sign with that team on July 1st?

Regardless of the Kings' interest, no one really knows what Kovalchuk is thinking or who he wants to sign with.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
: laugh:

Yeah Toronto & Montreal's markets are glad the cap is in force and there is profit sharing LOLOL

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Not as "hockey" markets. The Kings would have to win back-to-back Cups for Kovalchuk to have a problem getting noticed in LA. Even then I'm not so sure that he would be recognized often.
Yeah your right. The local media probably wouldn't even care about him here. But yeah, LA definitely isn't a hockey market so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
When was the last time that a free agent, who was widely speculated to sign with a particular team, did actually sign with that team on July 1st?

Regardless of the Kings' interest, no one really knows what Kovalchuk is thinking or who he wants to sign with.

If true, it does prove to Kings fans that the team DOES have interest in him and some Kings fans have been skeptical that they did.

No one knows what he is thinking but he hasn't signed in New Jersey and the Kings had serious interest last year in both Marian Gaborik and Marian Hossa. There were rumors that Gaborik was interested in playing for the Kings leading up to July 1 and the Kings actually were offered to match Gaborik's contract from the Rangers but they neglected to do so (they wanted a 3 year deal at max because of his injury history). It now seems as though the Kings have interest in Kovalchuk as well so there is a good chance they'll throw a significant offer his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
: laugh:

Yeah Toronto & Montreal's markets are glad the cap is in force and there is profit sharing LOLOL
You are right that LA isn't a large hockey market but wouldn't New York still be?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Osprey

I think that there's likely something to the rumors that the push for Kovalchuk is coming from Kings ownership, not so much Lombardi. Lombardi may have an interest in Ilya and make an offer, but I'm not sure that he'll try any harder than he did for Hossa and Gaborik, which is to say that he'll field an offer that he (Lombardi) feels is reasonable. As we know, though, a reasonable offer hardly ever gets you a big fish in free agency. It'll appease his bosses, though, by showing them that he tried. Afterall, if they're the ones pushing here and he's lukewarm on the idea, it's a lot gentler of a solution to make an offer that's not likely to be accepted than to stand up to the bosses and refuse to pursue the player at all.

The Kings never get their man in free agency and I don't think that they improved enough this past season for that to change just yet. I think that another strong season and a series win will be needed to tempt a big fish enough to sign with the team. Maybe Kovalchuk and Lombardi will suprise me, but I suspect that, like many big names before him, Kovalchuk will land with a team that can offer at least a little bit more to him (either in terms of money, contract length or team competitiveness).

Last edited by Osprey: 06-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that there's likely something to the rumors that the push for Kovalchuk is coming from Kings ownership, not so much Lombardi. Lombardi may have an interest in Ilya and make an offer, but I'm not sure that he'll try any harder than he did for Hossa and Gaborik, which is to say that he'll field an offer that he (Lombardi) feels is reasonable. As we know, though, a reasonable offer hardly ever gets you a big fish in free agency. It'll appease his bosses, though, by showing them that he tried. Afterall, if they're the ones pushing here and he's lukewarm on the idea, it's a lot gentler of a solution to make an offer that's not likely to be accepted than to stand up to the bosses and refuse to pursue the player at all.

The Kings never get their man in free agency and I don't think that they improved enough this past season for that to change just yet. I think that at least another strong series and a series win will be needed to tempt a big fish enough to sign with the team. Maybe Kovalchuk and Lombardi will suprise me, but I suspect that, like many big names before him, Kovalchuk will land with a team that can offer at least a little bit more to him (either in terms of money, contract length or team competitiveness).
The the problem with your reasoning is assuming other teams, moreso than the Kings: a. have the cap space to sign him, and b. are competitive enough for him to go there. New Jersey is the only team realistically in the Kovalchuk race, and they've yet to sign him. St. Louis, Toronto, Anaheim, etc. these are teams that all missed the playoffs last season, and have other needs, as well.

I'll be shocked if Kovalchuk doesn't come to the Kings. Lombardi has shown in the past (bringing Teemu to SJ, offering Hossa a 10+ year deal) that he's willing to sign the right player at the right time. It doesn't take rocket science to see the Kings have every piece in place to continually make the playoffs for years, even if they don't sign someone big. Kovalchuk can see this.

It just makes too much sense. Lombardi tried to get him at the draft and has now tried to trade for his rights. He's going after IK hard; that's obvious. Lombardi has been frugal with his assets in the past, but not exactly his money (Kopitar's deal, exhibit a). He'll pay good players big money.

And I'm continually bemused at your attempts to disparage the Kings and their fans in threads like these. The Kings dramatically improved this past seaso. Don't be dumb. Doughty was nominated for a Norris and the team had its first 100 pt. season in over a decade. We're a playoff contender, worthy of any "big fish" UFA. They're a team very much on the radar of the National Hockey League, despite what your Duck bandwagon jumping rationale asserts.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

The Kings never get their man in free agency and I don't think that they improved enough this past season for that to change just yet. I think that at least another strong series and a series win will be needed to tempt a big fish enough to sign with the team. Maybe Kovalchuk and Lombardi will suprise me, but I suspect that, like many big names before him, Kovalchuk will land with a team that can offer at least a little bit more to him (either in terms of money, contract length or team competitiveness).
Only Lombardi was hard after Hossa, he just couldn't promise him the Kings would be a 100 point team. I can't imagine he doesn't try as hard as possible to get Kovalchuk.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:30 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
From what I get he doen't like alot of media attention and that goes right along with LA. He can play and keep a low profile as far as stars go.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
From what I get he doen't like alot of media attention and that goes right along with LA. He can play and keep a low profile as far as stars go.
Not as low as NJ haha but thats true.

But i am on the side of Kovy not wanting to return to the Devils. I looked at him as a rental from the start.

If he re-signs great but if not i wont mind.

LA is a good fit for him and prob the best but u never kno who will come in and bid on him. But he will make alot of money.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:06 PM
NJDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZajac19 View Post
Not as low as NJ haha but thats true.

But i am on the side of Kovy not wanting to return to the Devils. I looked at him as a rental from the start.

If he re-signs great but if not i wont mind.

LA is a good fit for him and prob the best but u never kno who will come in and bid on him. But he will make alot of money.
what is this? Are you assuming he doesn't want to, or you just think the Devs cant sign him, because I haven't read anything that indicates he wasn't particularly happy?

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:23 PM
DevilOnFire

Sure are a lot of people here who are very positive Kovy has no interest in coming back to the Bricks.

I bet these same people were all yelling "NO WAY!!" to rumors of him being traded to Jersey at the deadline...

DevilOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote