HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

6/25-26 - NHL Entry Draft, Los Angeles, CA - Preds select 4 F and 2 D overall

Old
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
6 straight years without a _______

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
if that turns out to be true, are we above the salary floor after relieving ourselves of Arnie and Hammer? Guess depends on what happens with Horny's contract and if the 2 dmen go above $1mil a piece maybe?????
17 players under contract ... 38.8mil. The team easily makes the floor needing to sign 2-3 defensemen, a backup goalie, and Hornqvist.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
6 straight years without a _______
Russian!

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Jarnberg

From the quotes in the draft articles, it looks like we drafted good character guys, who work hard, and who are good defensively. Which is fine. I'm noticing a lack of the term goalscoring from the scouts.

Yeah we play it safe draft wise because we need to build through the draft, but I'd like to see us take a few more risks forward scoring wise. Perhaps taking a chance on someone like Pulkkinen. The guys we draft that are third and fourth line players can be signed cheaply in FA; I'd like to see us go for a risky home run a few times, because we're never going to sign that player in FA.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
From the quotes in the draft articles, it looks like we drafted good character guys, who work hard, and who are good defensively. Which is fine. I'm noticing a lack of the term goalscoring from the scouts.

Yeah we play it safe draft wise because we need to build through the draft, but I'd like to see us take a few more risks forward scoring wise. Perhaps taking a chance on someone like Pulkkinen. The guys we draft that are third and fourth line players can be signed cheaply in FA; I'd like to see us go for a risky home run a few times, because we're never going to sign that player in FA.
Maybe we take a risk next year seeing as we got such a safe pick with Watson. Maybe!

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Watson put up 34 points in 42 games with Windsor ... on the bottom lines and no PP time. He exploded offensively once he moved to the Petes and got some top line time. I'm not expecting him to put up two points a game, but, it might be worth seeing how he performs in a full season as a top line player before declaring we didn't get a goal scorer.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Watson put up 34 points in 42 games with Windsor ... on the bottom lines and no PP time. He exploded offensively once he moved to the Petes and got some top line time. I'm not expecting him to put up two points a game, but, it might be worth seeing how he performs in a full season as a top line player before declaring we didn't get a goal scorer.
Bingo! We have a winner!

Quote:
The Ann Arbor, Mich., native is a “fledgling power forward,” to coin a phrase from Boston assistant GM Don Sweeney; at 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, he still has a lot of filling out to do. However, he’s a fine skater who possesses a lot of natural skill and, after a torrid offensive flourish to close out the year (20 points in 10 games for the Petes after returning from the injury), he could be a steal for the team who snags him if he makes it to the middle of the opening round.

“It was a really good feeling,” Watson told hockeyjournal.com, when asked about his strong finish to close out the year and play a role in getting his team into the OHL playoffs. “I wanted to come back strong and help the team out. We were struggling a bit, so it was real good for me to be able to get in there and get some points, and maybe answer some of the questions about my offensive ability.”
http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...fterinjury.php

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I love that he's huge AND a good skater. Such a rare combo. He's a slight project, but the rewards could be great.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
]it might be worth seeing how he performs in a full season as a top line player before declaring we didn't get a goal scorer.
Let's hope not. "We don't really need a 50 goal scorer. I like 20 goal scorers." -David Poile

It could be 7 years until we know how this turns out. For example, we're still waiting to see how Klein and Sulzer turn out from the 2003 draft.

Just about every first round selection has some press saying their a huge sleeper and a great pick, so I take all the draft media stuff with a grain of salt. There are people who do this for the full time job, and it's still a huge unknown who's going to pan out in NHL. You're drafting 18 year olds playing in tons of different leagues, tons of countries, against varying levels of competition. I've given up on trying to figure out what they're going to do. We've got no choice but to wait it out and see what happens.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Let's hope not. "We don't really need a 50 goal scorer. I like 20 goal scorers." -David Poile

It could be 7 years until we know how this turns out. For example, we're still waiting to see how Klein and Sulzer turn out from the 2003 draft.

Just about every first round selection has some press saying their a huge sleeper and a great pick, so I take all the draft media stuff with a grain of salt. There are people who do this for the full time job, and it's still a huge unknown who's going to pan out in NHL. You're drafting 18 year olds playing in tons of different leagues, tons of countries, against varying levels of competition. I've given up on trying to figure out what they're going to do. We've got no choice but to wait it out and see what happens.
Klein is a legit #4 d-man at the NHL level. Sulzer is looking more like trade bait / career AHL player. How their skills have turned out compared to projections at age 18 are now known.

Old
06-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Actually, one of the top tools scouts use for picks is international tournaments where the top players from each age group play against each other and are graded against each other.

Watson excelled as a member of the US 18u team as a shutdown forward, which is a role we all know he is adept at and where he had been being used at in juniors. Austin has been invited to the US WJC tryout camp this summer and will likely make the roster.

My hope is that over the summer we'll see his raw offensive skills at prospect camp and he will return to juniors with more confidence and blossom in a larger offensive role next season. He did after all score 9 goals and 11 assists in 10 games to close out the regular season last year and added 2 goals in the playoffs.

I think Watson has a very high probability of turning into a goal-scoring power forward if given time and opportunity to develop that side of his game. What he will become is anyone's guess, but this is not a kid that needs to be taught how to play defense or how to add detail to his game. He has already excelled there and if given a good chance to show his offensive game...he'll succeed there too...

Old
06-27-2010, 10:28 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Klein is a legit #4 d-man at the NHL level.
Does he know?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:50 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Actually, one of the top tools scouts use for picks is international tournaments where the top players from each age group play against each other and are graded against each other.

Watson excelled as a member of the US 18u team as a shutdown forward, which is a role we all know he is adept at and where he had been being used at in juniors. Austin has been invited to the US WJC tryout camp this summer and will likely make the roster.

My hope is that over the summer we'll see his raw offensive skills at prospect camp and he will return to juniors with more confidence and blossom in a larger offensive role next season. He did after all score 9 goals and 11 assists in 10 games to close out the regular season last year and added 2 goals in the playoffs.

I think Watson has a very high probability of turning into a goal-scoring power forward if given time and opportunity to develop that side of his game. What he will become is anyone's guess, but this is not a kid that needs to be taught how to play defense or how to add detail to his game. He has already excelled there and if given a good chance to show his offensive game...he'll succeed there too...
It helps but a 5 or 6 game sample size with a thrown together team is hardly enough to accurately project NHL ability, and it doesn't include everybody.

NHL draft is MUCH more difficult than NFL for example, where most players are atleast 20 and are all coming for same league. But it's no given. The NHL draft is that much harder. You got guys buried on stacked junior teams (Watson) that you are trying to compare to a guy playing a Sweden against 33 year olds in limited ice time. And they are all 18.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
It helps but a 5 or 6 game sample size with a thrown together team is hardly enough to accurately project NHL ability, and it doesn't include everybody.

NHL draft is MUCH more difficult than NFL for example, where most players are atleast 20 and are all coming for same league. But it's no given. The NHL draft is that much harder. You got guys buried on stacked junior teams (Watson) that you are trying to compare to a guy playing a Sweden against 33 year olds in limited ice time. And they are all 18.
Exactly, this quote last week struck me in particular...courtesy of Cell Block 303...

Quote:
"It's like going into a HS & trying to pick out who's gonna be doctors & lawyers after college." - David Conte, when draftable age became 18
David Conte is the long-time draft guru for the New Jersey Devils...

Tournaments are used to try to match the data collected during viewings throughout the season and try to identify where they fit in compared to others in the same age bracket. As you said, college kids range from 18-24, European leagues anywhere from 17-40, and even major junior anywhere from 16-21.

http://twitter.com/cellblock303/status/16733176785

Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-28-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old
06-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Jarnberg

Here's my point from above.

Watson is a good defensive forward who we hope develops an offensive game. I'm not saying he isn't going to develop (in fact I hope he does), but why not go for a guy who already has developed an offensive game. Point is, if Watson doesn't develop his offensive game, then he likely turns out to be a bottom pairing guy.

And for some reason, Watson was singled out, but my point stands for the other picks. Two of the guys were compared to Vernon Fiddler and Jordin Tootoo.

We can afford to sign bottom pairing guys in free agency; we cannot afford to sign offensive players in free agency.

I know we cannot afford to be as risky as some teams, but I'd rather see us be a little more risky when it comes to offensive players. It's the same thing when we drafted Upshall.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote