HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Consolidated: ALL Non-Hockey Sports Discussion 2011-2012

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2010, 04:10 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Looks like Bobby Valentine is the one who is going to get the job. He withdrew himself for the Baltimore job, and he has been friends with Loria for 20 years. I like the move.

Also, there were some in the organization that thought that Gonzalez was waiting for Cox to retire this offseason so he could get the Braves job, and they didnt want someone who was looking at another job. Good bye Gonzalez, hope you and Horton dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Old
06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
panthersfan751

Glad they got rid of all of them. This team was headed nowhere under Gonzalez and he was probably leaving for Atlanta after this year anyway. I didn't like Pressley as hitting coach either.

Old
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Florida Marlins = Model of mismanagement (and I'm not talking about their bench manager)
The Marlins have one of the smartest front office in baseball.
Smarter than the Dolphins, Heat, and definitely the Panthers, in their respective sports.

Despite a cheap owner/low payroll, they stay competitive year-in, year-out. I wish the Panthers were more like them, to be honest. There's actually a salary cap in the NHL, too. That's what makes this playoff drought sad...

Old
06-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Georgia Panther

ESPN is reporting that Bobby Valentine will meet with the Marlins tomorrow and will be offered a four year deal to become their manager. He likely will accept the deal. They should know since Valentine works for them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5325157

Old
06-24-2010, 05:43 PM
RunAmucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
ESPN is reporting that Bobby Valentine will meet with the Marlins tomorrow and will be offered a four year deal to become their manager. He likely will accept the deal. They should know since Valentine works for them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5325157
I like this alot freddi and hanley's little bru ha ha was the final straw for me even if hanley can be a little $hit sometimes he's still our star player and its alot easier to replace a coach it should of been handeled differently. This team has so much talent the bullpen blows but our lineup is pritty sick and we cant afford our young players getting used to loseing like the o's. good change when it happens

Old
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Love Valentine and love it that he could be coming here.

06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Love Valentine and love it that he could be coming here.
Well you get what you love Laus. Valentine is the Marlins new manager, per Big O. No details yet, but I read that its going to be a four year deal.

Old
06-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Georgia Panther

I must say I have been impressed the way sacking the Manager has sparked the team.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Georgia Panther

And the hits keep on coming. SI now reporting that Valentine is no longer in the running for the Florida job.

SI_JonHeyman

valentine no longer in running for #marlins manager job, si.com has learned. my bad on friday. 24 minutes ago via mobile web

SI_JonHeyman

uncertain what blew up valentine negotiations w/ matlins. all signs pointed to job being his a couple days ago. 22 minutes ago via mobile web

Boy, they really botched this one up!!!

Old
06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Erick

Quote:
And the hits keep on coming. SI now reporting that Valentine is no longer in the running for the Florida job.

SI_JonHeyman

valentine no longer in running for #marlins manager job, si.com has learned. my bad on friday. 24 minutes ago via mobile web

SI_JonHeyman

uncertain what blew up valentine negotiations w/ matlins. all signs pointed to job being his a couple days ago. 22 minutes ago via mobile web

Boy, they really botched this one up!!!
That's all false. Bobby Valentine later came on Baseball Tonight and said he and the Marlins are "still in the process" and that it's a job that he has interest in.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Georgia Panther

It's official, all 3 local papers and now Fox Sports reporting Valentine no longer in running for Marlins job per a "high ranking major league source". My theory is Beinfest put a fork in it. He doesn't and never has wanted a strong manager type. Probably told Loria if he wanted Valentine he wanted out. They should have kept Freddie until the end of the season and now they look like clowns.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Erick

Quote:
It's official, all 3 local papers and now Fox Sports reporting Valentine no longer in running for Marlins job per a "high ranking major league source". My theory is Beinfest put a fork in it. He doesn't and never has wanted a strong manager type. Probably told Loria if he wanted Valentine he wanted out. They should have kept Freddie until the end of the season and now they look like clowns.
One of the main candidates right now is Bo Porter. That would be awful and hilarious at the same time.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Fredi Gonzalez must be laughing his butt off.

The Marlins fired Gonzalez as manager last Wednesday with the idea of hiring Bobby Valentine. Depending upon whom you talk to, they are still talking to Valentine or no longer considering him.

At best, the Marlins are confused. At worst, they are in turmoil. Either way, they are an embarrassment.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...ger-job-062710

Old
06-29-2010, 06:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

2010-11 Miami Heat

Currently under contract:

Michael Beasley
Mario Chalmers

Stephen A. Smith and the Sun Sentinel's Ira Winderman are reporting that the Heat might have a LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade trio come this weekend. Smith said that he has multiple sources that said LeBron and Bosh are going to head to Miami to be paired with Wade, and Ira has said something similar. If this were to happen, Im going to be pissed because the Heat and Panthers decide to improve AFTER I move to Greece. Two more days and we will see what happens.

Just imagine though:

Point Guard
Wade
James
Bosh
Center

Look out NBA, because the Heat will be disgusting!

Old
06-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I'm not sold on Lebron in Miami and when I heard that Bosh is going alongside Lebron, that really made me feel a lot less excited about the Heat's chances this offseason.

There are numerous teams who could afford to sign Lebron/Bosh, but we'd have a leg up on signing all three. I'm just not sure Lebron would want to come here and be the second best player on a team.

Old
06-29-2010, 07:24 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

LeBron with a Heat jersey would be sick. Who wouldn't love to play in Miami?!

Old
06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
I'm not sold on Lebron in Miami and when I heard that Bosh is going alongside Lebron, that really made me feel a lot less excited about the Heat's chances this offseason.

There are numerous teams who could afford to sign Lebron/Bosh, but we'd have a leg up on signing all three. I'm just not sure Lebron would want to come here and be the second best player on a team.
Im not sold on it either, but knowing that the three of them met this past weekend in Miami, to talk about scenarios, makes me more optimistic than I was before. If both Bosh and James want rings, then the best place for that would be Miami. The Heat are a top notch organization, have the best player in the world in Wade, sorry LeBron and Kobe, and Pat Riley running the whole thing. I am not sold on Rose and Noah in Chicago, and I think Wade purposely spoke badly about the Bulls because, while its true, it puts his team in a better position to sign the two.

Old
06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
305Pantera

Smith was interviewed on a local radio station. Now, I'm not one to indulge myself with all these rumors, but MAN was he adamant on it! He repeatedly said that he originally expected them to go to the Knicks, and still said he hopes they do (cause he's a native New Yorker). Thankfully there's only a few more days, but it's certainly nice to get some press!

Old
06-29-2010, 01:19 PM
FlaPanthers7

This story has a lot of legs. Apparently they've already met in Miami & discussed how to get all 3 of them under the cap, even if they have to "share" the cap space evenly among them. Wow. This is crazy if it happens! It'll put the Panthers to shame too. But it's much easier to rebuild in basketball than any other sport with only 5 guys on the floor.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

It has a lot of legs FP7. I still am hesitant on it until LeBron puts pen to paper, but Miami seems to be the front runner for James.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
This story has a lot of legs. Apparently they've already met in Miami & discussed how to get all 3 of them under the cap, even if they have to "share" the cap space evenly among them. Wow. This is crazy if it happens! It'll put the Panthers to shame too. But it's much easier to rebuild in basketball than any other sport with only 5 guys on the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
It has a lot of legs FP7. I still am hesitant on it until LeBron puts pen to paper, but Miami seems to be the front runner for James.
1) How would anybody know what was said between these people?
2) What are you guys sources for these "legs"?

I just think it's media talk about something that they've wanted to talk about for the last 3 years.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:05 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
1) How would anybody know what was said between these people?
2) What are you guys sources for these "legs"?

I just think it's media talk about something that they've wanted to talk about for the last 3 years.
Ira Winderman is one of the best NBA writers in the league, and has well placed sources all over the league. When he says that they talked about playing in Miami, I believe him more than I dont. Smith, who is more of a attention grabbing reporter, stated that his sources spoke to someone in Wade's camp. I agree with you though, nobody really knows what was said. What we do know is that all three are very close friends, and they have all said in the past that they would like to team up with one another, which makes Miami the only viable option.

The three of them can all take equal contracts, at around $15 million, if Beasley isnt moved. With the lack of state taxes, that is much more than any other team can offer. If, which is a low percantage if, they were to go to NY for example, they can only get around $11 million per. I think the combination of the money, tax situation, being in Miami, and playing for one of the best organizations in the game will be enough to get it done.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Panthers_Fan

It would be insane!! I won't get my hopes up though until it is a done deal.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
The story was even reported on the local news up here in the Burlington, VT area...and we don't even have a connection to any of those players OR the Heat I guess there's a lot of legs behind this story.

On one hand, even though I'm not a basketball fan, good for you guys if you land them all. On the other...the Panthers would have a damned hard time competing for attention in the area if the Heat had this kind of an attraction to sell.

06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
FlaPanthers7

LeBatard is reporting a possible sign-and-trade in place for Bosh, sending Beasley, Chalmers, & Joel Anthony to Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=326147

Closed Thread