Notices

Sergei Zinovjev

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
chuckie

vCash: 500
Sergei Zinovjev

is he in camp and if so how is he doing?Will he make the team?

Old
09-30-2003, 04:53 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Earth to Chuckie... Don't visit to often eh?

Welcome back.

To answer your question... yes Zino is here and playing. But there is this kid named Bergeron who is stealing the spot light in a very big way.

Nice problem.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:01 PM
chuckie

Sergei Zinovjev

yeah last i heard he was having problems getting out of russia, and i just haven't heard much about him thanks.....

Old
09-30-2003, 06:52 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie
is he in camp and if so how is he doing?Will he make the team?
I watched him play tonight in Providence. Sully had him playing wing on the 4th line.

My take: he's got NHL-level talent. He skates well, passes well and is a heady player.

He's not very big and got knocked over the boards at one point... but he doesn't seem to be afraid of operating in traffic or along the boards.

I think he's having a tough time getting acclimated because he missed half of training camp, the NHL game is different and he doesn't speak English.

I don't think we've seen Zino's 'A' game yet, but his 'B' game, in my view, is good enough to stay with the big club because he is diligent on defense.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:01 AM
MAINE-IAC

can zino be sent to providence or is it back to russia if he cant make the big club?

Old
10-01-2003, 02:38 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINE-IAC
can zino be sent to providence or is it back to russia if he cant make the big club?
He apparently has a 1-way deal and will return to Russia if he doesn't make the Bruins right off the bat.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-01-2003, 02:47 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
He apparently has a 1-way deal and will return to Russia if he doesn't make the Bruins right off the bat.
IF zina isn't quite ready for the show, i think the b's should try to work something out in providence. maybe talk with him and his agent and tell him- 10 games- if we don't call you up after that, you can go back to russia. i really think it would do wonders for him to get acclimated in the AHL, but i guess it depends on how badly he wants to play in the states.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:59 AM
misterjaggers

I hope the Bruins let him stick. He'd definitely be an asset once he gets acclimated. And he isn't going to cost them any games in the meantime because he plays a two-way game.

I'm afraid if he goes back to Siberia we'll never see him again...

Old
10-01-2003, 05:33 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
IF zina isn't quite ready for the show, i think the b's should try to work something out in providence. maybe talk with him and his agent and tell him- 10 games- if we don't call you up after that, you can go back to russia. i really think it would do wonders for him to get acclimated in the AHL, but i guess it depends on how badly he wants to play in the states.
According to the Russian article (which I'll admit didn't translate entirely well), the "NHL or Russia" one-way nature of his contract isn't something exclusive to Zinovjev. Apparently, in an effort to appease Russian Pro teams, any player currently under contract with a Russian team gets this same deal in any NHL contract they sign.

If it was just Zinovjev, I'm sure they could work something out to get him an extra month or so in Providence to work out the travel kinks.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:06 AM
misterjaggers

You know, much as I like the grittiness in Grosek's game or Donato's hustle or Stock's entertainment value, if there was only one roster spot left and it was between them and Zino, I'd pick Zino because he's got ALOT more upside.

Another season in Siberia won't improve his game and I'm afraid we'll never see him again if we cut him loose...

Old
10-01-2003, 06:36 AM
TheBigBadB

Zino will make the team...He is more experienced then the rest of the prospects and holds alot of potential..he just needs to adjust more to the smaller rink, but no doubt he can do it...I'd say they keep Bergeron for the 10 games and return him to juniors (unless he's on fire and looks like he isnt going to slow down)...and leave Zino on the fourth line and give him a few shifts a game, while he learns in practice...He should be adjusted by the ten game mark and be poised to take over second line center after Bergeron is returned...

Old
10-01-2003, 06:44 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
Zino will make the team...He is more experienced then the rest of the prospects and holds alot of potential..he just needs to adjust more to the smaller rink, but no doubt he can do it...I'd say they keep Bergeron for the 10 games and return him to juniors (unless he's on fire and looks like he isnt going to slow down)...and leave Zino on the fourth line and give him a few shifts a game, while he learns in practice...He should be adjusted by the ten game mark and be poised to take over second line center after Bergeron is returned...
That sounds like a good plan.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:56 AM
BleedBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
That sounds like a good plan.

In addition, where better to learn both the rink size and english than here?

Old
10-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Zino in Beantown

You're right! Boston is a great place to learn English: certainly not for the accent, but the many English Language Schools/Institutes will help. And since he's all alone out here he'll be happier in a bigger town perhaps (as much as I love Providence) - then again a smaller town would be better for a Siberian guy. But really, send him to Providence for the two weeks just to catch his breath and then bring him up for keeps.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:15 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
You're right! Boston is a great place to learn English: certainly not for the accent, but the many English Language Schools/Institutes will help. And since he's all alone out here he'll be happier in a bigger town perhaps (as much as I love Providence) - then again a smaller town would be better for a Siberian guy. But really, send him to Providence for the two weeks just to catch his breath and then bring him up for keeps.
Are you sure sending him to Providence for a couple weeks is a good idea? The last thing he needs now is new teammates and a new coach.
(Or, for that matter, a different town...)

What will it do to his confidence and comfort level?

Knowing that he made the final roster in Boston would be a real confidence-booster for him. He could relax a little and start to fit in...

By the way partner, I've been all over this great country of ours, and I poured o'er maps (til my glasses blurred) lookin for your Spatula City. No luck. It near these parts?

Closed Thread