HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help Problems Stopping

Old
03-19-2010, 07:12 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
Take them to the pro shop/sharpening booth at your local rink and tell them you are new to skating and ask for their suggestions. Start at 1/2" and work up or down from there.
Will do. Thanks!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Will do. Thanks!
Also if they offer the Flat bottom V you might want to try that and stick with it. Since you have never skated before you have no reference point. Thus, you will likely benefit from the extra glide since you can get a good bite but still retain the glide and not have to choose one over the other. I use 100/50 in the flat bottom V, but if I were using a traditional hollow I'd probably use a 5/8. The reason being a 5/8 is good bite but also some decent glide. A 1/2 is a nicer bite but less glide so I'd need more work to keep going. That's where the Flat Bottom V benefits a skater. You can get the equivelant bite of a 1/2 or 3/8 with the glide of a 1".

Not all LHS offer this sharpening though.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:30 AM
thefeebster

Well i find myself in a similar situation. I took "figure skating" lessons when i was younger (8-10 yrs old) and recently have taken very very beginner adult lessons at my community center to refresh my memory.

But one thing that gets me every time, i can not stop on my left edge, whatsoever. I can do a right edge stop and just today, i began doing full right foot forward hockey stops. But these left ones... even when i'm going at a snails pace (literally one push off), my left edge can not move. I put all my weight on it, bend my legs, sit and nothing. What ends up happening is that i get close to the pylon and just use my right leg to stop.

I am beginning to wonder if it is my left inside edge. Since i can do a hockey stop with the right foot first, i don't think it is my left outside edge. I am wondering if this is due to a skate sharpening issue or am i just a major noob?

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:39 AM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Well i find myself in a similar situation. I took "figure skating" lessons when i was younger (8-10 yrs old) and recently have taken very very beginner adult lessons at my community center to refresh my memory.

But one thing that gets me every time, i can not stop on my left edge, whatsoever. I can do a right edge stop and just today, i began doing full right foot forward hockey stops. But these left ones... even when i'm going at a snails pace (literally one push off), my left edge can not move. I put all my weight on it, bend my legs, sit and nothing. What ends up happening is that i get close to the pylon and just use my right leg to stop.

I am beginning to wonder if it is my left inside edge. Since i can do a hockey stop with the right foot first, i don't think it is my left outside edge. I am wondering if this is due to a skate sharpening issue or am i just a major noob?
A lot of people find it much easier to stop on one side or the other when they first start. I also couldn't stop at all on one side when I first started, but after a LOT of practice I finally figured it out (I was also teaching myself to skate, which probably didn't help matters).

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
A lot of people find it much easier to stop on one side or the other when they first start. I also couldn't stop at all on one side when I first started, but after a LOT of practice I finally figured it out (I was also teaching myself to skate, which probably didn't help matters).
Haha, i guess i am still learning. Just frustrating when i'm looking at my left foot and its not doing like i asked. Ha.

Would it be beneficial to get a sharper left skate than right?

Old
06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
nystromshairstylist
We're FREE!!!

Quote:
Haha, i guess i am still learning. Just frustrating when i'm looking at my left foot and its not doing like i asked. Ha.

Would it be beneficial to get a sharper left skate than right?
It took me one hour to learn how to hockey stop with my left foot out front (turning/facing to the right) but I am lefthanded, and my left foot is more "controlleable," and about 6 weeks to get comfortable stopping with my right foot out front.

The method that finally got me over the hump was the snow plow, ie., wedge stop, or pointing your skates inward as you came to a stop like this: / \

After getting comfortable wedge-stopping, I began to turn to the right, and this led me to be able to hockey stop both ways comfortably...this video was very helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f19ZQj_fak

Don't know who this company is, but their videos are superb.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
thefeebster

Ohhh gosh, nystrom. You have no idea how that simple instruction helped me hahah.

I went out to a public skate today and really tried to work on my left edge stopping. Got it down!! Just by wedge stopping. By the end of the session, i was able to one foot stop on my left edge.

I think the key tip they gave in the video was the shaving the ice. The previous times i've went, i had troubles even standing still and shaving the ice. That kind of got me thinking it was my sharpening, because it should be relatively easy to shave the ice standing still. But i couldn't even do that and when i tried it was choppy at best. But once i got the shaving down, moved on to the wedge stop, and then the one foot, everything got much easier.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I stop both ways too but I think everyone will always have 1 dominant side that gets more pronounced depending on the intensity of speed you're stopping from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I've also heard that a lot of NHL guys use a shallower hollow because of their size compared to say myself who is about 5'9" and 165lbs
NHL players also get the benefit of free sharpenings every after game.

I use a 7/16 hollow and man would I love to play with a fresh 7/16 bite every game. Unfortunately normal people like us will have to stretch it out between 3 to 5 games between sharpening.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
nystromshairstylist
We're FREE!!!

Quote:
Ohhh gosh, nystrom. You have no idea how that simple instruction helped me hahah.

I went out to a public skate today and really tried to work on my left edge stopping. Got it down!! Just by wedge stopping. By the end of the session, i was able to one foot stop on my left edge.

I think the key tip they gave in the video was the shaving the ice. The previous times i've went, i had troubles even standing still and shaving the ice. That kind of got me thinking it was my sharpening, because it should be relatively easy to shave the ice standing still. But i couldn't even do that and when i tried it was choppy at best. But once i got the shaving down, moved on to the wedge stop, and then the one foot, everything got much easier.
Glad I could help, that's what this forum is for.

That's how I've been teaching my kids too, standing against the boards in the corner holding onto the rink ledge and just shaving ice one foot for 10 seconds, then switching to the other foot.

If the stopping is too choppy, make sure your skates are sharpened evenly. A few months back in early April right after I started I had them sharpened poorly, and was still so new that I thought I had regressed in my technique but then I had a guy at my local rink evaluate them and explained they were a disaster... after he sharpened them correctly it was so much easier to stop. As a noob, I was told go with 7/16", but try 1/2" too just to see what you're most comfortable with. Its like with the hockey sticks, you have to try out several types/styles to find out what fits best.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote