HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will pay if Shelley leaves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2010, 06:19 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,889
vCash: 500
Rangers will pay if Shelley leaves

Quote:
It's beyond me, just beyond me, why the Rangers GM would risk losing such an important piece as Jody Shelley in order to perhaps pursue someone else he can't know will fit as well the universally respected enforcer who came to the Rangers in February and immediately established himself as a badly needed force off the ice as well as on it.

Three days before the free-agent market opens and Sather, we're told by several sources, has yet to make an offer to the enforcer who was so well regarded by his teammates in San Jose that they were prepared to award him a Stanley Cup ring had the Sharks won, and was equally respected by teammates in New York.

There's time, obviously, but time is money, and now, so close to being able to sell himself to the highest bidder, there's no guarantee at all the proud warrior will even negotiate with the Rangers before Thursday.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...d1P6SLNMc9FjWJ

I like Shelley and want the Rangers to bring him back. Not much more for what he made in his last contract which was $725,000. 34 year old fourth line enforcers are not going to get big money. Do you give him two years? He won't be a 35 plus contract if he got 2 years. What is he going to look like in 2 years?

1 year/$750,000.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:23 AM
  #2
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,133
vCash: 500
What does LB have against Byers?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:13 AM
  #3
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
What does LB have against Byers?
Dead weight argument.

You're comparing a veteran player who can beat the piss out of people, to an underachieving prospect who might barely make the team. Mind you, I believe Byers is the better overall hockey player, and I believe Byers and Shelley can both make the team.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:16 AM
  #4
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Byers is a middleweight. Shelley a heavyweight.

Nonetheless, I still believe a team does not need a heavyweight in this era and would be fine with just a middleweight.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:41 AM
  #5
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Guys we do not need a freaking heavy weight. I am just fine with Weiss or Byers getting the job. Prust fights more than anyone in the league

I vote no to Shelley. If they sign him fine but I say give it to a kid

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
  #6
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
geez.... mcilrath at 10. now shelley must be reisigned or were doomed.

what is this the 80's ?? if we cant score just beat the crap out of everyone instead.

this torts hockey stuff really suks.

what happened to skill ? oh, nevermind we got ryan callahan for that.....

god help this team.

fire torts.

fire slats.

fire everyone.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
  #7
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,821
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
We need Shelly as a stopgap until the Macs show up. Same as we need a Vet D and Vet C to stopgap until The kids show up - inf they ever do (they better!). Different roles on the team all needing assesment for the regular season. In different ways. Come playoffs we need no enforcer but to make it there --- yeah stop kidding yourself

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:32 AM
  #8
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Would be fine with Shelley Boyle Prust as the 4th line. Byers is tall but plays at what 190lbs? Would LOVE to see Weise challenge for a spot next season.

Boyle's the player I like least. Dupont playing center or wing these days??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
  #9
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Prust can play center. I want to see Avery Prust Shelley as the 4th line. If Shelley isn't signed, I'll be mad. If Prust isn't signed I'll be furious. Boyle should be the 13th forward with Voros in Hartford unless there are injuries.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:45 AM
  #10
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
I stopped reading after he referred to Shelley as "such an important piece".

Really? Jody Shelley?

Now I've always felt that NYC overrates its "blue callar" hard working, mediocre players, and this confirms it.

Jody Shelley is not an important piece to any team. He has EXTREMELY limited skill. He's old. Is a fringe 4th line player, and would be a waste of cap space.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's a good NHL hockey player.

Dane Byers and Dale Weise each scored over 20 goals this year in Hartford. Both have some upside. Both bring size, grit, effort, and skill.

Both would be exponentially better options then Jody Shelley would be at a multi-year contract.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
  #11
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I stopped reading after he referred to Shelley as "such an important piece".

Really? Jody Shelley?

Now I've always felt that NYC overrates its "blue callar" hard working, mediocre players, and this confirms it.

Jody Shelley is not an important piece to any team. He has EXTREMELY limited skill. He's old. Is a fringe 4th line player, and would be a waste of cap space.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's a good NHL hockey player.

Dane Byers and Dale Weise each scored over 20 goals this year in Hartford. Both have some upside. Both bring size, grit, effort, and skill.

Both would be exponentially better options then Jody Shelley would be at a multi-year contract.
First of all, he would not be a waste of cap-space at all. He would make 750k at MOST and would get TWO years at MOST. How much money are you actually saving by replacing Shelley with Byers or Weise? 100k?

Secondly, Byers and Weise have ZERO NHL games so please stop pretending like you know their AHL goal scoring would instantly translate to the NHL. If we blindly used that logic, PA Parenteau would have secured a spot on our 2nd line for this year... "Size, grit, effort, and skill" are nothing but words at this point.

Furthermore, guys who scored 20 goals in the AHL aren't what we need on the 4th line. We didn't fail last year because our FOURTH line didn't score goals. We failed because the 2nd and 3rd lines didn't score goals and our defense was inconsistently mediocre at best. And just for the record, who was creating chances and scoring goals when we needed it in the final few games? Prust and Shelley. Weise certainly doesn't fill Shelley's role as an enforcer and I have my doubts that 195-pound Byers can either. Shelley came in and basically did what we paid Brashear 1.4 million to do: Be an enforcer, a deterrent, and be able to create more offense than Colton Orr. Shelley can work the cycle effectively and get the puck to the net from the corners and battle in front. That's all you need from a 4th line.

Shelley was a big part of our turnaround late in the season. He's proved that he fits on this team and had great chemistry with Prust and Anisimov. I doubt Anisimov gets 4th line duty this year, but I'd love a 4th line of Avery-Prust-Shelley. Prust DOES play center, and I believe Boyle should be the 13th forward with Voros in Hartford. Byers and Weise have not proved anything yet. If they look great in training camp, they can earn a longer look and perhaps a roster spot, but there's absolutely no reason to have roster turnover just for the sake of it. Shelley was good here and will be extremely cheap. It's simply not smart to not even make him an offer.

Guys who have done what was asked of them and played well here and won't be expensive or problematic to keep should be brought back. This means Prust, Christensen, and Shelley. They've all earned offers at the very least.


Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 06-28-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
  #12
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 50
Slightly misleading thread title.. at first I thought this would be something about rollover bonuses we'd be on the hook for.

Anyway, I'd like Shelley back, but won't be upset if he's looking for a payday and winds up leaving. He should not be a July 1 priority.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:58 AM
  #13
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
Brooks is so melodramatic

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
  #14
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Slightly misleading thread title.. at first I thought this would be something about rollover bonuses we'd be on the hook for.

Anyway, I'd like Shelley back, but won't be upset if he's looking for a payday and winds up leaving. He should not be a July 1 priority.
Of course not, because he should be given an offer BEFORE July 1.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
  #15
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
what are the conditions of the trade with San Jose? Is it if the Rangers re-sign Shelley before July 1st, they own San Jose a pick (4th round?).

It seems weird to me that a trade could dictate terms on signing a guy after he becomes an UFA, so maybe Sather is trying to save a draft pick by signing him after July 1st. Then again, maybe that's not how the trade works...

Either way there's not going to be a lot of clamor for Jody Shelley on the market.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
  #16
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I stopped reading after he referred to Shelley as "such an important piece".

Really? Jody Shelley?

Now I've always felt that NYC overrates its "blue callar" hard working, mediocre players, and this confirms it.

Jody Shelley is not an important piece to any team. He has EXTREMELY limited skill. He's old. Is a fringe 4th line player, and would be a waste of cap space.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's a good NHL hockey player.

Dane Byers and Dale Weise each scored over 20 goals this year in Hartford. Both have some upside. Both bring size, grit, effort, and skill.

Both would be exponentially better options then Jody Shelley would be at a multi-year contract.
see voros, aaron

seems like were putting a team together based on these criteria

1. nice guy

2. tough

3. tries hard

4. not european

5. nice guy


adam larsson is gonna look good in red white and blue.

pretty soon well have a team full of defenseman and goons. interesting...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
  #17
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Good I hope he is gone. I rather get younger and give his spot to Byers or Weise. The rangers still have Prust they are fine. I dont think they have to have a 35 year old heavyweight on the team. Get rid of some of the softies on defense like Redden and Gilroy and you replace them with people like McDonagh and Valentenko they will be a much overall tougher team than last year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
  #18
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
First of all, he would not be a waste of cap-space at all. He would make 750k at MOST and would get TWO years at MOST. How much money are you actually saving by replacing Shelley with Byers or Weise? 100k?

Secondly, Byers and Weise have ZERO NHL games so please stop pretending like you know their AHL goal scoring would instantly translate to the NHL. If we blindly used that logic, PA Parenteau would have secured a spot on our 2nd line for this year... "Size, grit, effort, and skill" are nothing but words at this point.

Furthermore, guys who scored 20 goals in the AHL aren't what we need on the 4th line. We didn't fail last year because our FOURTH line didn't score goals. We failed because the 2nd and 3rd lines didn't score goals and our defense was inconsistently mediocre at best. Weise certainly doesn't fill Shelley's role and I have my doubts that 195-pound Byers can either.

Shelley was a big part of our turnaround late in the season. He's proved that he fits on this team and had great chemistry with Prust and Anisimov. I doubt Anisimov gets 4th line duty this year, but I'd love a 4th line of Avery-Prust-Shelley. Prust DOES play center, and I believe Boyle should be the 13th forward with Voros in Hartford. Byers and Weise have not proved anything yet. If they look great in training camp, they can earn a longer look and perhaps a roster spot, but there's absolutely no reason to have roster turnover just for the sake of it. Shelley was good here and will be extremely cheap. It's simply not smart to not even make him an offer.

Guys who have done what was asked of them and played well here and won't be expensive or problematic to keep should be brought back. This means Prust, Christensen, and Shelley. They've all earned offers at the very least.
Actually you're wrong. Dane Byers has played 5 NHL games and scored a goal in limited ice time.

He scored the goal doing EXACTLY what this team needs on the lower lines. He was holding his ground in front of the net and scored on a rebound.

Dane Byers does everything Shelley does, but better.

Dale Weise has 2nd line upside.

Please, don't be a hypocrate. If Stepan, Kreider, and Grachev are impressive then so are Byers and Weise. They were integral parts of a PRO hockey team last year.

People ***** about lack of size, "jam" and scoring, and Byers and Weise do all of that.

How do I know their game will translate? Because they play a simple go-straight-to-the-net game. They play north-south. They crash the net. The fight in the corners and on the boards.

That kind of game translates. Please don't mock the AHL. When a 21 year old scores over 20 goals in the AHL it is impressive.

Jody Shelley at 2 years is a waste.

Byers and Weise are ready NOW and its time to see what they have at the NHL level.

You want Prust, fine. But the guy is equally as limited as Shelley. What are his career numbers?

Again, classic case of NYC overrating its mediocre "blue callar" players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
  #19
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Good I hope he is gone. I rather get younger and give his spot to Byers. The rangers still have Prust they are fine. I dont think they have to have a 35 year old heavyweight on the team. Get rid of the some of the softies on defense like Redden and Gilroy and you replace them with people like McDonagh and Valentenko they will be a much overall tougher team than last year.
I seriously wonder if some of you actually watch the majority of Rangers games. If I didn't see the title of this thread, I'd think you were talking about Brashear. Shelley was great down the stretch for us and will likely cost LESS THAN HALF of what Sather doled out to Brashear this past offseason. Why are you ignoring his good performance and just pointing out that he's going to be 35 this year. Byers is 195 pounds. He does not fill the same role as Shelley. Sigh.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
  #20
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Actually you're wrong. Dane Byers has played 5 NHL games and scored a goal in limited ice time.

He scored the goal doing EXACTLY what this team needs on the lower lines. He was holding his ground in front of the net and scored on a rebound.

Dane Byers does everything Shelley does, but better.

Dale Weise has 2nd line upside.

Please, don't be a hypocrate. If Stepan, Kreider, and Grachev are impressive then so are Byers and Weise. They were integral parts of a PRO hockey team last year.

People ***** about lack of size, "jam" and scoring, and Byers and Weise do all of that.

How do I know their game will translate? Because they play a simple go-straight-to-the-net game. They play north-south. They crash the net. The fight in the corners and on the boards.

That kind of game translates. Please don't mock the AHL. When a 21 year old scores over 20 goals in the AHL it is impressive.

Jody Shelley at 2 years is a waste.

Byers and Weise are ready NOW and its time to see what they have at the NHL level.

You want Prust, fine. But the guy is equally as limited as Shelley. What are his career numbers?

Again, classic case of NYC overrating its mediocre "blue callar" players.
Man, I never get tired of empty, blind, generalized statements like this. Typical HF banter. Oh excuse me. Byers played 5 NHL games and scored a goal. I guess we should extrapolate that over 82 games and since he fights, we should declare he does EVERYTHING that Jody Shelley does but better. Oh boy.

Like I already said, if they impress in camp and earn a spot, they will get it. If Shelley gets outplayed he can play in the minors. It's not even an issue (since he won't be 35 by the time he signs the contract). But to ignore Shelley's performance last season and not even give him an offer and just bank on the possibility that they can fill Shelley's role (which I believe neither player really fits into) is is completely asinine.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
  #21
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I seriously wonder if some of you actually watch the majority of Rangers games. If I didn't see the title of this thread, I'd think you were talking about Brashear. Shelley was great down the stretch for us and will likely cost LESS THAN HALF of what Sather doled out to Brashear this past offseason. Why are you ignoring his good performance and just pointing out that he's going to be 35 this year. Byers is 195 pounds. He does not fill the same role as Shelley. Sigh.
Shelley did do a nice job last year. But at the same time I dont think he will be as effective next year because someone as talented as Anisimov will not be the 4th line center. Byers is a better player obviously he is not the fighter Shelley is. But I rather go with the better player who plays with a lot of grit and toughness.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
  #22
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
The Rangers need Shelley so they can score on the Flyers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
  #23
xxxZENxxx
Registered User
 
xxxZENxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
I think that many posters are missing the point of Brook's article. Shelley was an incredibly important factor in the locker room when he was traded here at the end of last season. Due to various reasons, there had been issues (i.e. dissension) in the locker room leading up to that point that had probably caused the team to hit a downward spiral. Most teammates and observers credit Shelley for fixing that issue. So he is more than just an aging goon to this team at the moment... he basically is their "locker room captain". Posters who are saying to dump him because we can replace him with youth are completely missing the point.

Now does that mean that Brooks is right to resign him to a Brashear contract? I hope not. But understand Shelley's importance to the team before writing him off.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
  #24
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
its like torts and slats are stuck in a time warp.

look at chicago. look at that team and how it was constructed.

then look at us.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
  #25
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I think that many posters are missing the point of Brook's article. Shelley was an incredibly important factor in the locker room when he was traded here at the end of last season. Due to various reasons, there had been issues (i.e. dissension) in the locker room leading up to that point that had probably caused the team to hit a downward spiral. Most teammates and observers credit Shelley for fixing that issue. So he is more than just an aging goon to this team at the moment... he basically is their "locker room captain". Posters who are saying to dump him because we can replace him with youth are completely missing the point.

Now does that mean that Brooks is right to resign him to a Brashear contract? I hope not. But understand Shelley's importance to the team before writing him off.
On the other hand, that was last year, and the team will undoubtedly change some this year, so it may be a different dynamic

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.