HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi contract negotiations

Old
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
that's not facepalmable. girardi is just an average top 4 dman nothing too special about him but he does deserve 2.75-3.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Thank you for agreeing, its like why don't we just give average players money they dont deserve and then complain how we are right up to the cap and we cant make any roster adjustments. He is average and RESTRICTED. If someone wants to give him an offer sheet and overpay great, go ahead, hopefully a team like Buffalo or Edmonton so he can have nothing to do after games in the winter a freeze his you know what off.
for some reason i thought he was talking about staal. i deserve a

my bad.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:59 AM
DontStepanMe

with the amount of god damn defensive prospects we have anything over 2 years for this overrated POS would be ridiculous

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
xxxZENxxx

3 years and 2.50-2.75 million per

His rights should be traded if we need to sign him for more. He is too inconsistent and doesn't contribute offensively to earn more.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Do you feel this was a good draft?
haha its all relative i suppose. I'd rather not chance it

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:44 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Hope they get Dan re-signed and they keeping the pair Staal and Girardi togehter.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
3 mill is ok but i would not want to lock it in for 4 years, maybe 2 and see what happens in 2 years with the team.
I like the two years, but I would not want to go over $2.5 million per. I also think it's fair to call Girardi an average defenseman. Anyone who puts a face palm to that needs to take off his Ranger colored glasses.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 06-29-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
4 years 12/13 mil? Sign me up.

Likewise ... get it done

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
with the amount of god damn defensive prospects we have anything over 2 years for this overrated POS would be ridiculous
In general, I don't think he's overrated. A lot of people overrate him, yes, but just as many underrate him--and talk about him like he's an AHL-caliber player. He's a decent second pairing defenseman, and those don't grow on trees. If rather lock up the known quantity for four years than bank on prospects panning out.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
nyr2417

sathers going to try and pull something like 3 years 8.5 mill imo

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In general, I don't think he's overrated. A lot of people overrate him, yes, but just as many underrate him--and talk about him like he's an AHL-caliber player. He's a decent second pairing defenseman, and those don't grow on trees. If rather lock up the known quantity for four years than bank on prospects panning out.
meh, I just don't see the big deal in him. I think there will be much better options in 3 years for us on the second pairing. Then we would have girardi on the 3rd pairing getting paid $3mil a season, which is overpayment for a 5-6d which is where he is best suited.

He hasn't impressed me at all since his rookie year, and the first 10 games this year. If he was traded I wouldn't miss him one bit.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
meh, I just don't see the big deal in him. I think there will be much better options in 3 years for us on the second pairing. Then we would have girardi on the 3rd pairing getting paid $3mil a season, which is overpayment for a 5-6d which is where he is best suited.

He hasn't impressed me at all since his rookie year, and the first 10 games this year. If he was traded I wouldn't miss him one bit.
There MAY be better options, there may not be. If you sign Girardi for $3MM even, unless he regresses horribly a la Redden, that contract will always be movable should better options present themselves. The risk is minimal.

You'd be okay with trading him now? I might be, but for who? What rookie do we have that you'd be comfortable with playing 20+ minutes per night, killing penalties? Who takes that responsibility and performs at Girardi's level? What UFA can we sign for $3MM that can adequately replace him?

This is part of the underrating I'm talking about. It's not as if there's an abundance of players out there at that salary that can replace his production.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
There MAY be better options, there may not be. If you sign Girardi for $3MM even, unless he regresses horribly a la Redden, that contract will always be movable should better options present themselves. The risk is minimal.

You'd be okay with trading him now? I might be, but for who? What rookie do we have that you'd be comfortable with playing 20+ minutes per night, killing penalties? Who takes that responsibility and performs at Girardi's level? What UFA can we sign for $3MM that can adequately replace him?

This is part of the underrating I'm talking about. It's not as if there's an abundance of players out there at that salary that can replace his production.
Derek Brassard.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Derek Brassard.
Yeah...good point...but tell me why CBJ would do this again?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Derek Brassard.
That's fine, I'm not saying there aren't players I'd trade Girardi for. There are plenty. I'm just saying to keep in mind that you need to replace his production at an affordable cost once you move him.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
They love collecting Ranger D-men?

Old
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

I understand that, which is why I would sign him for 2 years.

right now we only have Staal, Rosy, MDZ so we need Girardi. But I see him as a stopgap for McIrath, McD, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin, Niemi, Gilroy etc.

Maybe I would go three years. But he would definately be trade bait during the 2nd and 3rd years.

I just think he regressed alot last year. If he has another bad year, or doesn't improve his stock will go down further.

Maybe go after Mitchell, or Grebeshkov this offseason. Would still like us to get Hamhuis though, or volchenkov but he will be too pricey.

but maybe girardi could be part of a deal to get Savard. Would you think about it? I would depending what else would have to go there.

All I am saying, is I see him as an expendable part, and not really a core player. He is a nice complimentary player. But I think we could probably replace him, if not this offseason then definately by next offseason.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
bubba5

No rush to sign this guy. He is restricted and replaceable. He will cave in and sign for less than 3 mil. before he sees us sign someone else to take his place.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
That's fine, I'm not saying there aren't players I'd trade Girardi for. There are plenty. I'm just saying to keep in mind that you need to replace his production at an affordable cost once you move him.
I don't believe Girardi is all that irreplaceable.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I don't believe Girardi is all that irreplaceable.
I don't think he's "irreplaceable" either. But he's a decent defenseman, and until I hear a better plan for replacing him than "figuring there will be other options," I think it's unwise to be so ready to move him.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

right now we only have Staal, Rosy, MDZ so we need Girardi. But I see him as a stopgap for McIrath, McD, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin, Niemi, Gilroy etc.

Maybe I would go three years. But he would definately be trade bait during the 2nd and 3rd years.

I just think he regressed alot last year. If he has another bad year, or doesn't improve his stock will go down further.

Maybe go after Mitchell, or Grebeshkov this offseason. Would still like us to get Hamhuis though, or volchenkov but he will be too pricey.

but maybe girardi could be part of a deal to get Savard. Would you think about it? I would depending what else would have to go there.

All I am saying, is I see him as an expendable part, and not really a core player. He is a nice complimentary player. But I think we could probably replace him, if not this offseason then definately by next offseason.
I don't think he regressed. I think he had an up and down first half, but that's pretty typical for him--not a regression. And I think in the second half, he was pretty solid.

I don't mind trading him, but I'd like for there to be a viable replacement for him at the same time, or at least as an imminent acquisition. I don't want to be stuck with McDonagh, Gilroy and some piece of garbage as half of our defense.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I don't think he regressed. I think he had an up and down first half, but that's pretty typical for him--not a regression. And I think in the second half, he was pretty solid.

I don't mind trading him, but I'd like for there to be a viable replacement for him at the same time, or at least as an imminent acquisition. I don't want to be stuck with McDonagh, Gilroy and some piece of garbage as half of our defense.
neither do I. and I agree that he would be hard to replace this offseason. If only we didn't trade Michael Busto.

Still don't want to sign Girardi long term though. Nothing over 3 years, preferably 2. I don't want him blocking the higher potential prospects in 2-4 years. As he is not going to get any better.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:35 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:

I certainly don't see Girardi as irreplacable but, there is no guarantee that any of these guys will be as good or better than DG.

McIlrath we sure hope becomes a stud, but he could be anything from Shea Weber to Wade Belak!
McD is not even signed!
Valentenko has not been healthy or in NA in 2 years!
Kundratek had to go back to the Dub for a overage year because he was not ready for pro hockey last year, I hope he sticks in the A!
Pashnin still is contracted in Russia and is certainly a question mark!
Niemi is AHL fodder!
Gilroy has alot to prove this year!
Sauer has trouble staying health and has not shown more than bottom pairing ability IMO!

In other words... lets not get ahead of ourselves.

N9Y4R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Oh, I'd love to get Brassard but I don't think the sales pitch of "reunite Tyutin-Girardi" is gonna work here. We'd have to give more and CLB is looking to get better NOW. He's a little slow developing his game so they'd have to be rather impatient plus we'd have to throw something they could use now into the deal.

Do they need a veteran goon?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Great post. Agree 100%.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Fletch

if it's reasonable to assume his comps would be in the $2.75MM-$3.25MM range, you sign him up. I doubt he gets worse. That's the market for a defenseman of his caliber. Not going to find decent defensemen on the market for under $2MM, and I don't see who is really waiting in the wings to take his place in the next couple seasons.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote