HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2010, 01:07 AM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Because no one was going to pay Drury $7m per on the open market. Right.

And Columbus didn't offer Redden basically the same exact contract, just with less term. That was a mirage.

The MARKET dictated what those players got paid. And as a result of that, the Rangers had to offer them a certain amount.

A big part of me doesn't want them to d*** around with Staal, just as I didn't like the impasse with Dubinsky last year. But I sure as hell agree that Dubi isn't worth the $4m per year he was seeking.

Look at Boston with the Lucic deal. Does anyone think that he's worth what he's making? Will he be? Probably not. The "wait and see" approach, while STILL GIVING the players fair value, is best. What if we signed Dubinsky to a 6 year, $24m deal? What if he never scored more than 50 points?

Glen is just using the CBA to his advantage as best he can. He doesn't have a choice. Our other contracts (NOT meant to start a debate about that) dictate it, as do our negotiations with other current and future RFA's. He did the same with Tyutin, and he did the same with Girardi when he signed after his ELC.
I'm glad it wasn't a mirage. I feel better that there is another team out there being run like crap. And it shows in the standings (for both the NYR and Columbus). At the very least, there is no need to feel so alone.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:21 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
So say we do give staal only 2yrs at ?per what happens if after those 2yrs he sees that we are not improving and decides he wants to go someplace that will challenge for the cup?

Lock him up for 4 or 5yrs show him he is the guy on defense lose redden then when drury and rozi are away we still have staal locked up at 3.5-4m for another 2or 3yrs

Just my opinion of how I would treat the situation seeing as he is our defense

Old
06-28-2010, 05:00 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
So say we do give staal only 2yrs at ?per what happens if after those 2yrs he sees that we are not improving and decides he wants to go someplace that will challenge for the cup?

Lock him up for 4 or 5yrs show him he is the guy on defense lose redden then when drury and rozi are away we still have staal locked up at 3.5-4m for another 2or 3yrs

Just my opinion of how I would treat the situation seeing as he is our defense
Then you're forced to trade him. Why would that be any different than him deciding in 2 years that he wants out even though he was signed for 4 years and has 2 years left? Having him signed for 2 additional years isn't going to make him want to stay in your scenario.

4 year contract is the worst case scenario. There's no debating that fact.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks

Quote:
There is plenty of time for the Rangers to resolve the issue with Staal. Our information in this case is that the Blueshirts have made an equitable offer to the defenseman in the range of four years for $14 million, but that his agent -- a fellow who once played named Bobby Orr -- is seeking substantially more than that.

Absent arbitration rights, Staal's only leverage would be to attract an offer sheet. Unless one comes in that is totally out of whack -- remember, for all his admirable qualities, Staal does not have the puck-moving game that is most valued these days -- the Rangers will match without blinking an eye, and everyone knows it.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0s8odoaYK

So its the Rangers offering $3.5 million per. 4 years/$14 million. Thats the standard for top 2-3 D entering their 2nd contract. The Rangers aren't hard balling Staal at all.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:58 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Well if that's true sather and the rangers are being perfectly fair. I think 3.5 is more than fair and 4 per is the maximum.

Have to say I hope its resolved soon.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:03 AM
ThirdEye

Substantially more than 3.5 million? How much is this guy looking for?

Old
06-28-2010, 06:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Paul Krepelka got Jordan Staal 4 years/$16 million. Yesterday,Brooks wrote the Staal camp wants between $3.5-$4 million per. Rangers have put 4 years/$14 million on the table. Does Krepelka want Jordan Staal money for Marc? Group III is 27 years old or 7 years experience. I have read the NHL GMs don't like that age and want to change it. The NHLPA is not going to go for that. Probably stay at 27. In that case,5 years/$20 million. Jordan can become a group III at the end of the 4 year contract because he will have the 7 years experience at 25 years old.

Kris Letang-4 years/$14 million
Alex Edler-4 years/$13 mllion
Ryan Suter-4 years/$14 million
Brent Seabrook-3 years/$10.5 million

Old
06-28-2010, 07:12 AM
allstar3970

so how long until people turn on Staal like they did Dubi last summer?

Old
06-28-2010, 07:30 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
so how long until people turn on Staal like they did Dubi last summer?
i wouldn't say i turned on staal but once i head the whole "chasm" quote i knew it was more staal being a p***k and not sather lowballing him.

substantially more than 3.5...yes that's greedy on staal's part and yes sather is doing the right thing. it's ridiculous if staal wants more than 4.2 unless it's for like 5 years or more.

so yea to be honest not happy at all with staalsie (moreso his agent i guess).

Old
06-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Section311

What is the most you guys think we should go with Staal

Old
06-28-2010, 08:33 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry Brooks

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0s8odoaYK

So its the Rangers offering $3.5 million per. 4 years/$14 million. Thats the standard for top 2-3 D entering their 2nd contract. The Rangers aren't hard balling Staal at all.
staal can go **** himself if hes asking for more than that WITHOUT ARBITRATION RIGHTS

Old
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Well, looks like I was right on the offer number after all. Hahahaha. But four years? C'mon, Slats...

Let's see where they wind up...

Old
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Who does Staal think he is? Wade Redden?

Old
06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
How can a man be so great at trades and telling RFA's to go **** themselves and be so bad at signing UFAs?

It's as if he keeps the RFA contracts low for the sole purpose of leaving money to blow on UFAs.

Regardless, Staal will not get the ludicrous amount he's clearly seeking. As someone else mentioned, he's no Wade Redden

Old
06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
DontStepanMe

Even if we sign him at 5 years 25 mil i would do it. Remember how his offensive game started coming alive in the second half of the season? Kid is a player and knows it. But he doesn't have arby rights so we should be trying to get him for a little discount which is exactly what $3.5 mil is. It's a discount.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Paul Krepelka got Jordan Staal 4 years/$16 million. Yesterday,Brooks wrote the Staal camp wants between $3.5-$4 million per. Rangers have put 4 years/$14 million on the table. Does Krepelka want Jordan Staal money for Marc? Group III is 27 years old or 7 years experience. I have read the NHL GMs don't like that age and want to change it. The NHLPA is not going to go for that. Probably stay at 27. In that case,5 years/$20 million. Jordan can become a group III at the end of the 4 year contract because he will have the 7 years experience at 25 years old.

Kris Letang-4 years/$14 million
Alex Edler-4 years/$13 mllion
Ryan Suter-4 years/$14 million
Brent Seabrook-3 years/$10.5 million
I think this is the best argument for the NYR case. All these guys are as good or better than Staal. Do you happen to know when these deals were signed?

Old
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
i wouldn't say i turned on staal but once i head the whole "chasm" quote i knew it was more staal being a p***k and not sather lowballing him.

substantially more than 3.5...yes that's greedy on staal's part and yes sather is doing the right thing. it's ridiculous if staal wants more than 4.2 unless it's for like 5 years or more.

so yea to be honest not happy at all with staalsie (moreso his agent i guess).
Yeah, you haven't turned on him at all.

I'll say it again. These players have agents. The agents advise the players, not the other way around. If Staal is asking for more than 3.5 mil a year, it's because his agent told him that's what he should be asking for. It has nothing to do with being greedy and everything to do with listening to the people who advise him.

Should Staal not listen to his agent? Tell him to just take the offer? Please, none of you would, so don't act like Staal should. This is a business. It will get worked out.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I think this is the best argument for the NYR case. All these guys are as good or better than Staal. Do you happen to know when these deals were signed?
Suter signed in June of 2008.
Edler signed in October of 2008 (contract started in 2009)
Letang just signed in March
Seabrook signed in February of 2008

The cap has gone up about 3 mil since 2008, so inflation shouldn't be much of a factor. 3.5 per year is definitely fair. If Staal is looking for more than that, then he'll have to give up a year of free agency.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

So, if Brooks is right about the dollars and years, my guess is that we see the years come down. Maybe the dollars a little bit. Staal and Orr say "look, if you want to keep the cost down, we're going to have to revisit this sooner rather than later." Staal winds up signing for 2-3 years between $2.5-3.5MM per year. Both sides know the Rangers will have a lot more free cash to work with in 2 years...

Old
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
It's long enough to put many fans minds at ease. Not to mention all garbage contracts should be gone by then.

YEa but when the contract is up he is Unrestricted and we would be bidding against everyone.. 2 years is ideal because he would be a RFA With Arbi rights and we could pay him the cash he wants anyway cause Drury and Rozy would be off the books and there would be no chance of him leaving...

Old
06-28-2010, 09:59 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
YEa but when the contract is up he is Unrestricted and we would be bidding against everyone.. 2 years is ideal because he would be a RFA With Arbi rights and we could pay him the cash he wants anyway cause Drury and Rozy would be off the books and there would be no chance of him leaving...
2 years is not ideal. In 2 years, how much is he going to get as an arbitration eligible RFA?

The more years we can lock him up for now, the better, because it will save us cap space down the road. The next 2 years are when he will make the least amount of money. Those years will drive down his cap hit.

So, what it comes down to is this:

Do you want Staal at 3 mil per year for the next 2 years, and then 5 mil per year for the next 2 or 3 years after that?

Or do you want Staal at 4 mil per year for the next 4 or 5 years?

The 2nd option is ultimately the better one IMO. Look at that list that RB posted. There's a reason all those teams signed those players to 3 and 4 year deals.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
No similarity between Dubinsky, Staal talks. NYR hammrred Dubinsky all last summer. This year have made very reasonable 1st offer to Staal
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

Old
06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
mullichicken25

whats the max amount of years Staal can get wheres he's still a RFA when the contract is up?

im going to guess 4 based on their offer?

Old
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
whats the max amount of years Staal can get wheres he's still a RFA when the contract is up?

im going to guess 4 based on their offer?
3 years. Most players become UFA after 7 years in the league. There are exceptions (like Potter) who become UFA due to a lack of playing time at the NHL level.

So the best case scenario is that we sign him for 3 or 5 (or more) years. But IMO, I'd rather do 4 years than 2 as his cap hit in the last 2 years will be lower than what it would be if have to re-sign him 2 years from now.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is a major mistake by Sather and again I don't think Sather respects the situation he himself is in. Marc Staal isn't Dubinsky. After Lundqvist / Gaborik he is our best player and by a large margin.
You're wrong it';s you who clearly doesn't respect the entire situation. Staal is a RFA. You don't give your RFA a 4 year deal worth 4-5 million. If you do that he becomes a UFA and you lose him in his prime possibly. Give him a two year deal ( wonder if they're trying 3) for 2.5-3.5. At the end he's still RFA and that's when you sign him to a Redden contract. Not to mention Drury and Roszi would be off the books.

There is cap space and procedure to signing young RFA otherwise the NHL would be like the NFL where Jamarcus Russel gets 60 mil every year for being the 1st overall. Young guys don't get huge contracts. Staal won't either. He should get 2 - 3 years for 3 mil per. His next should be 6-7 years 5-7 mil per.

Closed Thread