HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will pay if Shelley leaves

Old
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I think that many posters are missing the point of Brook's article. Shelley was an incredibly important factor in the locker room when he was traded here at the end of last season. Due to various reasons, there had been issues (i.e. dissension) in the locker room leading up to that point that had probably caused the team to hit a downward spiral. Most teammates and observers credit Shelley for fixing that issue. So he is more than just an aging goon to this team at the moment... he basically is their "locker room captain". Posters who are saying to dump him because we can replace him with youth are completely missing the point.

Now does that mean that Brooks is right to resign him to a Brashear contract? I hope not. But understand Shelley's importance to the team before writing him off.
but, but we have capt quaalude..... hes our captain right ?

if we need jody shelley to be our "locker room capt" what exactly does capt quaalude do other than count his money and harken back his little league triumphs ?

gimme a break. were paying a guy 7 mil to be our capt. he doesnt do much on the ice, and now we need someone else to be our locker room capt.

ugh.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Dane Byers does everything Shelley does, but better.
Wouldn't Dane be a regular on the roster if he really was "better"?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

With the serious offensive deficiencies this team has, are we really making a big deal over Jody Shelley?

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Dane Byers does everything Shelley does, but better.
Why do I continue to hear this argument from the Byers fan club, yet I've never actually seen any evidence of it at the NHL level? 3 years running now this guy's been blown out of the water by some of the saddest 4th line talent you can find in this league. It's not a hard job to land and Byers has never even been close.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Guys we do not need a freaking heavy weight. I am just fine with Weiss or Byers getting the job. Prust fights more than anyone in the league

I vote no to Shelley. If they sign him fine but I say give it to a kid
MY GOD this board LOVES to repeat history. Did you SEE what happened when we didn't have an enforcer? Did you SEE Gabby get beat up by that **** head Carcillo? Did you SEE Hank get run left and right?

Did you SEE that stuff stop once Shelley joined the team? Trust me...Prust fights people...but Shelley scares the **** out of them.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
dtrap

Quote:
I stopped reading after he referred to Shelley as "such an important piece".

Really? Jody Shelley?

Now I've always felt that NYC overrates its "blue callar" hard working, mediocre players, and this confirms it.

Jody Shelley is not an important piece to any team. He has EXTREMELY limited skill. He's old. Is a fringe 4th line player, and would be a waste of cap space.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's a good NHL hockey player.

Dane Byers and Dale Weise each scored over 20 goals this year in Hartford. Both have some upside. Both bring size, grit, effort, and skill.

Both would be exponentially better options then Jody Shelley would be at a multi-year contract.
You know who else has scored 20 goals at the AHL level? Hugh Jessiman. http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=71394

NEXT!

Old
06-28-2010, 10:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its Jody Shelley.

I can't believe there is such a hard on for this player.

Scoring depth is scoring depth. That includes the 3rd and 4th lines.

If you can get a 15 goal guy on the lower lines, that plays the kind of game Byers and Weise do, then your team is at an advantage.

Dale Weise is a bigger, stronger version of Ryan Callahan.

These two players are not garbage, they're legit NHL talents. They won't be stars, but they're the kind of versitile players you need if you want to really be competitive long term.

And to have a 35 year old Shelley block them because he had a decent 20 game stretch is pointless.

This veteran lockerroom character thing is overplayed. The character can come from anyone in the lockerroom. It doesn't need to be a 35 year old veteran. It can come from 21-22-23 year old just as easily.

Byers and Weise must have strong mental makeup and character if they performed the way they did the entire season in a bad Wolfpack season.

Kids like Byers and Weise should be replacing the Shelley, Voros, Brashear, contingent.

That's what a farm system is for. That's the importance of developing players.

They play simple, crash the net. Byers will score a lot of goals in the NHL fighting in front of the net like Graves did.

Weise will score goals like Callahan, they're the same kind of player. Except Weise is bigger.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
You know who else has scored 20 goals at the AHL level? Hugh Jessiman. http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=71394

NEXT!
Byers and Weise are NOTHING like Hugh Jessiman.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
dtrap

Quote:
Its Jody Shelley.This veteran lockerroom character thing is overplayed. The character can come from anyone in the lockerroom. It doesn't need to be a 35 year old veteran. It can come from 21-22-23 year old just as easily.
Tell that to Colorado or Phoenix. Amazing regular seasons, but they both went out in the first round because they were too young and really have enough guys who knew how to win in the postseason.

It matters more than you are giving credit for.

Quote:
They play simple, crash the net. Byers will score a lot of goals in the NHL fighting in front of the net like Graves did.
Everyone here does this, so I'm not just pointing you out. But, please don't compare a kid who hasn't been able to make the team, despite everyone saying how good he is, to one of the greatest players in franchise history. It's like comparing Bobby Sanguinetti to Brian Leetch or Matt Zaba to Mike Richter.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:26 AM
dtrap

Quote:
Byers and Weise are NOTHING like Hugh Jessiman.
But you used the 20 goal plateau as a bench mark. Just because you score 20 in the A doesn't mean you are going to be a good NHL player.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
frankthefrowner

I like Jody Shelley, but really who cares, im not paying for an enforcer again we are already stuck with Donald's contract no reason to pay another one when u can just find a goon or something mid year or call one up.

Prust on the other hand i'd like to resign. The kid has some grit to him he's like hollweg just with a brain.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
If you can get a 15 goal guy on the lower lines, that plays the kind of game Byers and Weise do, then your team is at an advantage.
That's VERY optimistic. 15 goals is top 5 scoring on this team. Tall order for any player that's getting 8 shifts per game.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
look at chicago. look at that team and how it was constructed.

then look at us.....
Ben Eager...ever heard of him?

If you ever watched Chicago play, you'd know that they had both toughness and size to go along with their skill. Our team has some tough players sprinkled throughout the lower lines, but not much size. Someone needs to do the policing, or you end up with situations like Gaborik getting pummeled & Betts getting blindsided.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Brooks is so melodramatic
Absolutely.
Let's not make this out to be something it isn't.

Do I want him back? Sure.

Is he a priority? Not really.

If this is Slats worrying about Danny and Staal first... or getting someone to put a puck in the net besides Gabby...

SO BE IT.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Those of you who think Byers can replace Shelley are missing the point. Jody is a valuable locker room presence. He is a veteran who knows hoiw to prepare and play. On a young team, you need veteran leadership. Drury, for all his intangibles, is not a holler guy. Shelley added a lot to the equation on and off the ice.

You do need a heavyweight in the NHL. They don't necessarily have to play every ngiht but the need to be in the lineup when you are playing teams like the Flyers and Islanders. Didn't you see enough of the crap the Rangers took last year?

Look, I hope Byers makes the team and I hope he can bring some agressiveness to the bottom two lines but don't confuse his place on the food chain with a veteran presence and enforcer.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:00 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

This veteran lockerroom character thing is overplayed. The character can come from anyone in the lockerroom. It doesn't need to be a 35 year old veteran. It can come from 21-22-23 year old just as easily.
No it can't and it doesn't. Believe me, it's true in the NHL and it was true when I managed in the minor leagues. It's an important piece of building any hockey club. It's why teams always look for veterans at the trade deadline. It's why Chicago signed John Madden last year and the Coyotes signed Adrian Aucoin and Robert Lang. Coaches can't police the locker room, that's up to the team leaders. And asking a 21-22-23 year old to fill that role is very uncommon and almost always comes with a boatload of veteran support.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...d1P6SLNMc9FjWJ

I like Shelley and want the Rangers to bring him back. Not much more for what he made in his last contract which was $725,000. 34 year old fourth line enforcers are not going to get big money. Do you give him two years? He won't be a 35 plus contract if he got 2 years. What is he going to look like in 2 years?

1 year/$750,000.
Rangers FINALLY show some elusive team chemistry when Shelley and Prust arrive. Who cares why or how. It was clearly evident. Chemistry is contagious

sign em

06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Vitto79

right now the depth chart for signed guys including RFAs are

Dubinsky, Christiensen, Gaborik
MZA, Anisimov, Callahan
Avery, Drury, FA ......C preferably maybe Prospal again if at right price
Prust, Boyle, Weise
Byers

screw Voros, sorry twitter fans he needs to go already.

They dont need Shelley if they want youth to play

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
haveandare

It saddens me that in so little time so many people forget what this team was like without Shelley. If you think we don't need him you have very short term memory. This guy should get an offer. Give him whatever small amount he wants on a short contract. He's a great leader, active forechecker, and gives the whole lineup some peace of mind regarding other players taking liberties with them. Anybody read that Anisimov interview right after the season? He came on at the end of the season because of Shelley and Prust having his back and giving him the confidence that he needs being a smaller guy out there, plus now we have MZA's little frame zooming around.

Sign Shelley.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It's Jody f'ing Shelley! You want a monster you sign Boogaard. I think there are just a little more concerns than Jody Shelley right now.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
NikC

Brooks is such a clown. if we've got a tough kid in Byers that will fight for his teammates, go with that. i like Shelly and wouldn't mind him back but this should be the least of the Rangers problems regarding resigning.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Chimp

I find it very strange that Torts first showed so much man-love for Huggybear, only to leave Shelley in the dog house for no reason. So, we apparently don't need a heavy weights anymore, even though it seemed to be so very important to "upgrade" to Huggybear over Orr? That was one season ago.

Not that I'm a fan of fighters at all, but do we have any sort of long term strategy here? Does it change on a whim? I don't have to agree with it, but at least have one!

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
It's Jody f'ing Shelley! You want a monster you sign Boogaard. I think there are just a little more concerns than Jody Shelley right now.
Of all the players we've seen the Rangers plug into this role, I will honestly say the Shelley's done it better than anyone in recent memory. I hated the acquisition at the time, but he really surprised me with an ability to bring more than fighting skill. It IS fair to ask whether this is guy you want to retain before someone else makes him an offer.

That said, a lot of money and cap space remains tied up in this position thanks to the myriad of failures that preceded Shelley. It's the kind of luxury the Rangers just can't afford. They're committed to several players who COULD do the job and they're just going to have to draw from that pool.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I find it very strange that Torts first showed so much man-love for Huggybear, only to leave Shelley in the dog house for no reason. So, we apparently don't need a heavy weights anymore, even though it seemed to be so very important to "upgrade" to Huggybear over Orr? That was one season ago.

Not that I'm a fan of fighters at all, but do we have any sort of long term strategy here? Does it change on a whim? I don't have to agree with it, but at least have one!
Huh?

By all indications, the opposite is true:

Quote:
More John Tortorella:

ďI wasnít crazy about the room (earlier in the season). And still I think the room has work to do, and that isnít an indictment on Chris Drury or Ryan Callahan or our leadership group. Itís the room itself. I think some people need to be weeded out of there. Certainly not our core people. Itís the other people around them. Iíve said it before, for you to win, that room needs to sustain itself. I think it took a big step with the addition of (Shelley and Prust) to help out, but I donít think the roomís a strong room. And I still donít. I think it improved but I still think we have some work to do there.Ē

ďYou talk about character (said he talked to former teammates of Shelley who knew he was a good character guy). We donít have enough (of those). That has certainly shown what our lockerroom has begun to become with the addition of him and Pruster and even Eriksson Ö heís been brought up with some good guys like Stevie Yzerman and Lidstrom.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2010/0...orts-part-iii/

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Chimp

The opposite? I think actions weigh heavier than words. If Shelley gets praised and don't get re-signed, what does that mean?

Either Torts is exaggerating, lying or he and Sather don't work in the same direction.

All the problems in this franchise can be pointed upwards.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote