HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

Old
06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

vCash: 500
Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

After the hawks situation last year is anybody feeling a bit nervous Gillis hasn't apparently sent QOs yet to our key RFAs?

Pretty sure the deadline is tommorrow... (Monday)

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
I think he was focused on the draft, and was planning on making a trade at the draft that could involve a RFA.

I really doubt he will make a mistake like Dale Tallon did last year with the Blackhawks. He didn't submit offers to the RFAs before the deadline, and had to sign them for much more.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
After the hawks situation last year is anybody feeling a bit nervous Gillis hasn't apparently sent QOs yet to our key RFAs?

Pretty sure the deadline is tommorrow... (Monday)
The deadline this year year is Monday 28 June 2010 - 5pm "New York Time" to tender (i.e make) a qualifying offer.

CBA Article 10.2(a) (ii) states:
Quote:
In order to receive a Right of First Refusal or Draft Choice Compensation (at the Prior Club's option) with respect to a Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent must tender to the Player, no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the later of June 25 or the first Monday after the Entry Draft of the final year of the Player's SPC, a "Qualifying Offer", which shall be an offer of an SPC...
Here is the QO process set out in the CBA Article 10.2(a):
Quote:
A Qualifying Offer shall not be open for acceptance prior to July 1. If a Qualifying Offer meeting the above requirements is timely made, the Prior Club shall have a Right of First Refusal, exercisable in accordance with Section 10.3 below, or Draft Choice Compensation, exercisable in accordance with Section 10.4 below. A Qualifying Offer will be deemed to have met the above requirements if the Prior Club timely provides the Player a completed copy of the notice attached as Exhibit 19 hereto, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto.
Exhibit 19 to the CBA is the required form of QO sheet and is basically a fill in the blanks form with only the players signature left blank if he decides to accept it.
Quote:
EXHIBIT 19

FORM OF QUALIFYING OFFER SHEET

QUALIFYING OFFER SHEET

Name and Address of Player:

Name and Address of Player's Authorized Representative:

Club:

Pursuant to Section 10.2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (the "CBA"), [Club]
hereby makes [Player] a Qualifying Offer of $__ in the NHL and $___ in the AHL (if
applicable), or whatever other minimum amounts are necessary to preserve the Club
rights contemplated in Section 10.2(a)(ii) of the CBA. This Qualifying Offer is not open
for acceptance until July 1, 20__.
If you are eligible for salary arbitration, this Qualifying Offer is subject to that right.
Date:__________________
Agreed To and Accepted By:
____________________________ ______________
[Player Name] [Date]
cc: NHL Players' Association
NHL Central Registry
According Article 10.2 (a) a properly completed Exhibit 19 must delivered to the player in accordance with Exhibit 3 to the CBA otherwise it will not be effective (there are other parties such as the NHL and NHLPA who also get a completed Exhibit 19 but it is the player who is the key as the CBA makes clear):
Quote:
EXHIBIT 3

CBA NOTICES

To the extent that any provision of this Agreement requires the delivery of a notice to any of the following individuals or entities, such notice shall be delivered to such individuals or entities as follows:
To a Player:

During the Playing Season, a Player shall receive notice(s) from his Club via hand delivery. From the day after the conclusion of a Player's Playing Season until the commencement of the Player's subsequent Playing Season, notice(s) shall be sent via overnight delivery to the Player's off-season address which the Player provides to the Club, and if no such address is provided by the Player, the notice(s) shall be sent via overnight delivery to the Player's last known address.
No I am am not feeling nervous given this is Gillis and Gilman who plan every contingency to the nth degree. As long as the QOs are sent out by overnight courier before 2pm PDT tomorrow, the tender will be effective.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Kid Canuck*

I'm sure they have already been delivered. We didn't find out last year who was tendered till well after the deadline. Mike Gillis and management do a pretty good job at keeping this quiet for some reason. I guess the media around here is too overwhelmed with the Draft, Trades, and July 1st UFA signing anticipation that they aren't on the phone with them grilling them about who was tendered or not. Not like the Canucks need to disclose it to us either, they are all weird about discussing contract negotiations either way so....

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
DoubleTrouble

Gillis already stated he will offer QO's to his top RFA

O'Brien, Shane
Raymond, Mason
Hansen, Jannik
Glass, Tanner

Others not to sure about are

Walsky, Eric
Pope, Matt
Funk, Mike
Bliznak, Mario
Zimmerman, Sean

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Gillis already stated he will offer QO's to his top RFA

O'Brien, Shane
Raymond, Mason
Hansen, Jannik
Glass, Tanner

Others not to sure about are

Walsky, Eric
Pope, Matt
Funk, Mike
Bliznak, Mario
Zimmerman, Sean
Walsky is going to Europe, Funk may retire, and Bliznak he'll likely keep. Pope and Zimmerman are questionable.

With our current depth on D on the Moose I wouldn't be surprised to see Zimmerman not get qualified.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
orcatown

SOB not to be qualified?

If I heard right report on 1040 that he will not be qualified and will become free agent.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Peter Griffin

Wouldn't surprise me at all. At this point the Canucks already have 7 defensemen under contract and it appears that Gillis wants to add at least one more, likely a top 4 guy. If that's the case O'Brien has no future with this team.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Barney Gumble

Seems kind of silly. Take him to arbitration and walk if the arbitator doesn't rule in your favor. Unless Gillis doesn't feel he isn't worth the effort. SOB is better is his own zone than Bieksa.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Not sad about this. Whats his raise due to be?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Not sad about this. Whats his raise due to be?
he wasn't due a raise

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I guess they feel his trade value isn't worth the risk that they can't deal him and end up spending $1.5m+ on a player they don't want around.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I actually ran into SOB a few weeks ago in Vancouver (he was in town for UFC), and he told me his agent let him know the Canucks would qualify him and probably go the arbitration route.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana phone View Post
I actually ran into SOB a few weeks ago in Vancouver (he was in town for UFC), and he told me his agent let him know the Canucks would qualify him and probably go the arbitration route.
Things change.
Strangely I believe you more than I trust the clowns on 1040 however. Doesn't fit in with Gillis's methodical ways to just let him leave for nothing when he can still be an asset.
Commitment aside, he did play with a ton of heart in the playoffs, don't forget. There are worse things we could do than keeping SOB (ie keeping #3).

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Vajakki

Gillis said at the draft that he would qualify everyone, so I don't believe this report is correct. Even if SOB didn't have roster spot, it would be poor asset management to let him walk for free.

I'd like to see SOB back. He's better than Alberts basically every night, better than Rome most nights and we could definitely use his kind of player with Ballard running around and not having the specific skills to back it up.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, although I would hope we could have gotten even a late round pick for him.

He made $1.6m last season and wasn't due a raise, per se, but he likely would have held out for even the slightest increase which I'm sure the Canucks would not be all too willing to give. But as of now, we have:

1.) Ballard - $4.2
2.) Bieksa - $3.75
3.) Salo - $3.5
4.) Edler - $3.25
5.) Ehrhoff - $3.1
6.) Alberts - $1.05
7.) Rome - $.750

On the defense already. Somebody's gotta go, methinks.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
They could have at least traded his rights for something.
A mid-late draft pick or a decent prospect.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Proto

O'Brien thinks he deserves a multi-year deal. Mike Gillis likely has SOB at the bottom of his "deserves more than one year" list. Given SOB's conduct last season and his seeming lack of seriousness about being a professional, I don't see how the Canucks can justify keeping him in the line-up as a #6 or #7 defenseman at 1.6-2.0 million dollars. I'd rather spend the money on third and fourth liners. And I'd be just as happy seeing Rome play. I'm sure Gillis will qualify him, but I'm almost equally sure he'll be moved to clear cap space if Gillis lands a free-agent defenseman.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
black ace

I'd be stunned if he walks for nothing.

Even a 2 year 3 mill contract offer or another year at 1.6 might not work here but he could be a decent 4-5 guy in a lot of places.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I'd sign him for 1.2m a year for 2 years at most. He would be great as a third pairing guy alongside Salo - assuming we lock up an UFA dmen in a week or so.

Would love to see OB come back and Bieksa's cap hit gone.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
I'd like to see SOB back. He's better than Alberts basically every night, better than Rome most nights and we could definitely use his kind of player with Ballard running around and not having the specific skills to back it up.
I don't think he's better than Rome. Rome is far steadier than he is and isn't a distraction. He also makes less than half of SOB's cap hit last season -- and I suspect O'Brien will want a raise this off-season.

At least Ballard tries to back it up, which is more than I can say for Teddy Bear. How many fights did SOB have this season -- two? He complained to the press about fighting the previous season. Downy soft.

I'd take a guy that's willing to lay the body on any star player in the league and fight afterwards, even if he's not a great fighter, over a guy who's unwilling to fulfil his natural role because he thinks he's too talented.

-----

Wilch: why would SOB take a 400k salary hit? He probably wants 2 million a year for 3 years, which is fine, but he can get it somewhere else.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
There are plenty of teams that could use a d-man like SOB on a lower pairing for a mid-round draft pick. Gillis doesn't strike me as the type to waste an asset, regardless of value.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
LostMyGlasses*

With the value for defencemen apparently so high, it seems strange we can't muster an asset for O'Brien.

Perhaps his character issues weren't as well reported in less hyped markets, but here the word is out-and has probably spread around the league.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Momesso

With his improvement, durability and cheap price tag, he's worth keeping on the bottom pairing so that we can jettison Bieksa instead.

I hope he gets qualified. He's cheap enough to at least garner a 4th rounder or something.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, although I would hope we could have gotten even a late round pick for him.

He made $1.6m last season and wasn't due a raise, per se, but he likely would have held out for even the slightest increase which I'm sure the Canucks would not be all too willing to give. But as of now, we have:

1.) Ballard - $4.2
2.) Bieksa - $3.75
3.) Salo - $3.5
4.) Edler - $3.25
5.) Ehrhoff - $3.1
6.) Alberts - $1.05
7.) Rome - $.750

On the defense already. Somebody's gotta go, methinks.
Anything that means Bieksa is closer to being traded I'm in favor of. Even if that means SOB in the lineup.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote