HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will pay if Shelley leaves

Old
06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
what are the conditions of the trade with San Jose? Is it if the Rangers re-sign Shelley before July 1st, they own San Jose a pick (4th round?).

It seems weird to me that a trade could dictate terms on signing a guy after he becomes an UFA, so maybe Sather is trying to save a draft pick by signing him after July 1st. Then again, maybe that's not how the trade works...

Either way there's not going to be a lot of clamor for Jody Shelley on the market.
if these are the conditions, then I see why Sather hasnt made an offer yet. And I see why SJ has made these conditions. They might want Shelley back.

I'd love to see Shelley as a 13th forward

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
geez.... mcilrath at 10. now shelley must be reisigned or were doomed.

what is this the 80's ?? if we cant score just beat the crap out of everyone instead.

this torts hockey stuff really suks.

what happened to skill ? oh, nevermind we got ryan callahan for that.....

god help this team.

fire torts.

fire slats.

fire everyone.
On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate Torts? Cause it seems every thing that happens, even raising ticket prices are his fault to you lol. Are you going to blame him when u don't like the color of the seats when the garden is renovated?

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
If Shelley gets praised and don't get re-signed, what does that mean?
I could mean the team wants to keep an extra $750K in cap flexibility.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:56 AM
mullichicken25

shelly, even though i like him, is the farthest thing from inportant

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
What does LB have against Byers?
If Sather lets Shelley walk, I HIGHLY doubt he views Byers as the replacement.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
The opposite? I think actions weigh heavier than words. If Shelley gets praised and don't get re-signed, what does that mean?

Either Torts is exaggerating, lying or he and Sather don't work in the same direction.

All the problems in this franchise can be pointed upwards.
Not sure why Torts would lie or exaggerate about that, he seems to be a brutally honest guy, and at times he can even be too blunt.

If anything, Sather is prioritizing putting his money towards someone else. Since the Redden and Rozy signings, he really hasn't re-signed many UFAs or RFAs prior to July 1. Hopefully he doesn't do anything stupid and there's enough money left over for Shelley.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I could mean the team wants to keep an extra $750K in cap flexibility.
$750k, really? It's not like the spot won't have to be filled with an equal salary at the start of the season.

If it's cap room that is needed, how about...

That's 6.5 million reasons waiting to be waived. In fact, I don't think I can stomach another season of watching that albatross skate around on the ice like a rich Bambi. He was brought in to be an offensive anchorman, he failed miserably.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
RangerFan10

I think the big deal here is we finally find a heavyweight that can be had for cheap, and short-term, and he can play, is a great lockerroom guy, and for whatever reason he's not signed yet.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Jody Shelley has ALWAYS been a locker room leader. A fantastic hit to have around. He's like a coach on skates.

When we acquired him, I said his mere presence would make the team tougher. People laughed, but stopped laughing when the team developed a bit more of a backbone. Combined with Prust, the fourth line is nasty.

He's cheap, he's a fantastic leader, and he needs to he back.

I'm seriously laughing out loud at all the love for Dane Byers in this thread. Once again, the wisdom of "not putting the cart before the horse" is lost on HFboards Rangers fans.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
On a scale of 1-10, how much do you hate Torts? Cause it seems every thing that happens, even raising ticket prices are his fault to you lol. Are you going to blame him when u don't like the color of the seats when the garden is renovated?

yes.

and i have every reason to hate torts.

hes a classless clown, a bully and a guy who fails to look at himself as the reason why we underperformed last season. hes a guy with no clue how to manage a bench and a micro manager whos line changes and ice time makes no sense what so ever. not to mention, he lead our team to no playoffs last season with a healthy gaborik.

his resume last season speaks for itself. i was no renney fan, but i would take him back in a moment over this dueshbhag.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:

yes.

hes a classless clown, a bully and a guy who fails to look at himself as the reason why we underperformed last season. hes a guy with no clue how to manage a bench and a micro manager whos line changes and ice time makes no sense what so ever. not to mention, he lead our team to no playoffs last season with a healthy gaborik.

his resume last season speaks for itself. i was no renney fan, but i would take him back in a moment over this dueshbhag.
maybe thats cause he wasn't

Old
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Jody Shelley has ALWAYS been a locker room leader. A fantastic hit to have around. He's like a coach on skates.

When we acquired him, I said his mere presence would make the team tougher. People laughed, but stopped laughing when the team developed a bit more of a backbone. Combined with Prust, the fourth line is nasty.

He's cheap, he's a fantastic leader, and he needs to he back.

I'm seriously laughing out loud at all the love for Dane Byers in this thread. Once again, the wisdom of "not putting the cart before the horse" is lost on HFboards Rangers fans.
It's funny cause, Shelley's pretty talentless, but his impact was thrice as noticeable as Jokinen's, who's hands down the superior player. The better, and more skilled player made less of an impact on this team than a goon.

It reminds me a bit of the impact Avery had on this team. Everyone knows he's not a rare talent. He just filled a big void on our team, and ultimately rounded us out more. And when he was out of the line-up, it was rather clear what he brought to the table.

I bet if you asked Ranger players how important Shelley was on last years team, you'll get an overwhelming response praising him as a person, and player.

This signing is a no-brainer. Anyone that think differently should have their head checked.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
maybe thats cause he wasn't
one of the reasons.

better ?

Old
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
NikC

Quote:

yes.

i'm having a hard time figuring out your true feelings about the coach, can you try opening up a little?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
It's funny cause, Shelley's pretty talentless, but his impact was thrice as noticeable as Jokinen's, who's hands down the superior player. The better, and more skilled player made less of an impact on this team than a goon.

It reminds me a bit of the impact Avery had on this team. Everyone knows he's not a rare talent. He just filled a big void on our team, and ultimately rounded us out more. And when he was out of the line-up, it was rather clear what he brought to the table.

I bet if you asked Ranger players how important Shelley was on last years team, you'll get an overwhelming response praising him as a person, and player.

This signing is a no-brainer. Anyone that think differently should have their head checked.
so that explains aaron voros then. i see.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i'm having a hard time figuring out your true feelings about the coach, can you try opening up a little?
nope. im shy.

sorry.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
$750k, really? It's not like the spot won't have to be filled with an equal salary at the start of the season.

If it's cap room that is needed...

That's 6.5 million reasons waiting to be waived.
That's great, but it doesn't help them now.

You've got a summer budget of ~$17M. Assume Staal and Girardi ties up $7M-$8M, which leaves you $9-$10M to do everything else you want to do with the team. Is Shelley worth almost 10% of your summer operating budget? That's the question.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Are we comparing the human punching bag to Shelley?

Even someone like yourself can identify how different an impact a legit enforcer had on this team over a scrub like Voros.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:

If it's cap room that is needed, how about...

That's 6.5 million reasons waiting to be waived. In fact, I don't think I can stomach another season of watching that albatross skate around on the ice like a rich Bambi. He was brought in to be an offensive anchorman, he failed miserably.
Redden can't be waived until a certain point of the off-season.

And you can only be 10% over the cap until then, so...

Old
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Also hilarious is this idea floating around that leadership in the clubhouse is somehow overrated. Really? Maybe to internet jockeys that don't play sports. Or to people that have never been around a professional or semi-professional lockerroom.

Shelley is one of those guys that the rest of the players turn to when things are tough. He filled a fourth line role better than anyone we've had recently and people want to let him walk, so Dane-effing-Byers can be handed a spot? What a freaking joke.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

yes.

You can blame Torts all you want for our demise, but fact is the players on this team are a bigger reason we failed to reach the next stage of competition. And the person responsible for assembling this team, is the biggest culprit.

Torts is way down the list, but I guess you do have reason for hating him since he single handedly ruined Enver Lisin's HOF career.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:47 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I stopped reading after he referred to Shelley as "such an important piece".

Really? Jody Shelley?
Yep. LB is a terrible journalist. So overboard.

"I'm just completely stunned, dumbfounded and baffled beyond measure than Sather would let such a monumentally glorious asset as the nearly 40 year old career 4th liner Jody Shelley, who managed to get hot when the other 19 players on the roster couldn't figure out what a shot on goal was, and pick up a few important points on the way down the stretch as the Rangers ultimately missed the playoffs walk in order to pursue another player."

Edit: Not at all saying I want Shelley to walk; I had him penciled in for the 4th line. I just think it's pretty funny how LB is all amazed how the Rangers would RISK losing SUCH an important piece. Leadership can never be discounted but guys like Shelley *kind of* are a dime a dozen.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This article goes beyond just Jody Shelley....its shining a light on a nasty habit this organization has gotten into over the last couple of offseasons - jettisoning guys that were getting the job done.

Jody Shelley more than got the job done last season, and with noone ready to take on that role (despite the misguided Dane Byers love), whats the big deal in bringing him back for a year?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Yep. LB is a terrible journalist. So overboard.

"I'm just completely stunned, dumbfounded and baffled beyond measure than Sather would let such a monumentally glorious asset as the nearly 40 year old career 4th liner Jody Shelley, who managed to get hot when the other 19 players on the roster couldn't figure out what a shot on goal was, and pick up a few important points on the way down the stretch as the Rangers ultimately missed the playoffs walk in order to pursue another player."
yup...he's well aware that fans took to shelly pretty quickly

its painfully obvious that brooks writes to sell papers

unfortunately journalism takes a back seat

Old
06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
haveandare

Quote:
I don't think anybody on this team would honestly praise Voros as a player. Maybe as a person, but I doubt anybody is under any illusions that he's getting the job done out on the ice.

Last I checked, Shelley was putting up points night in and night out when we needed them most. Does anybody remember that? The only reason we even had our playoffs come down to the last game of the season was because of the fourth line. Prust and Shelley are just what this team needed at the beginning of last season. Only a fool would let Shelley walk now. No, he's not our biggest concern but I don't see how that makes it not worthwhile to talk about his importance to the team.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote