HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

Old
06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
With the value for defencemen apparently so high, it seems strange we can't muster an asset for O'Brien.

Perhaps his character issues weren't as well reported in less hyped markets, but here the word is out-and has probably spread around the league.
he's got one year until UFA and has done little to prove he's a full time NHL defenceman. To big of a risk to expend an asset on, or even count on to fill a top six spot heading into the season. And for most teams, he's too expensive to be the 7th d-man.

FWIW, I'm pretty skeptical of this report. I'd believe that O'Brien will be qualified. Canucks have lots of salary space, and I think that Gillis will want at least 8 NHL defencemen heading into camp.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Anything that means Bieksa is closer to being traded I'm in favor of. Even if that means SOB in the lineup.
My guess would be that 1 of them is likely to go, but that perhaps Gillis tried to move SOB's rights and was unsuccessful. If that is the case, then he may let him go unqualified rather than "waste" a contract on him. Not saying I agree with that IF this is all true, but it could be what happens.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Bucky Katt

Were they reporting he won't be qualified or speculating he won't be qualified?

If Gillis intends on bringing in a UFA defenseman, the speculation makes sense as the Canucks will then have 6 3M+ defenseman without O'Brien. Even if they bring in nobody else, they still will have a bottom pairing guy making over 3M and O'Brien. It stands to reason that O'Brien could be out.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
he's got one year until UFA and has done little to prove he's a full time NHL defenceman. To big of a risk to expend an asset on, or even count on to fill a top six spot heading into the season. And for most teams, he's too expensive to be the 7th d-man.
I don't know about that. Shane O'Brien has certainly proved to be a capable bottom pairing defenseman. The question is - does he outperform his contract at $1.6-2.0mil? I'm not so sure he does - and that's why he has marginal trade value, at best.

I don't think Mike Gillis intends on bringing O'Brien back for another year. His on ice contributions just aren't enough to overlook his off ice distractions. If he was willing to fill the toughness void they might be able to look past his shortcomings but that doesn't appear to be the case. O'Brien has gone soft and everyone knows it.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
IMO it is possible to build a legit contender with six $3M kind of guys, you just have to construct your forward lines to pound the living crap out of the other guys, so their top pairing can't go 30 minutes a game in the playoffs.

But I don't think that's what we're doing - neither of the top 2 lines can do that - so I'm going to assume SOB will be signed once Bieksa is moved.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
rye&ginger

I think GMMG asks for $1.6m for 1 year in arbitration...maybe even a small decline in salary.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I don't get the SOB hate. He is a damn solid 5/6 defenseman who played well when forced into a top six role. He isn't the smartest guy off the ice, but his issues aren't serious.

He moves the puck well and is mobile for his size. He has little offense to give, but for $1.5-$1.8 mill, he is terrific value.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Ernie

Yeah, I don't mind him as #6, especially with Rome on board.

But he's not going to have a lot of value on the open market, given his salary level, impending UFA status, and lack of dependability due to his control issues.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Yeah, I don't mind him as #6, especially with Rome on board.

But he's not going to have a lot of value on the open market.
That's true. The only reason I see to let him go is if we need to pinch pennies on the bottom pairing.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana phone View Post
I don't get the SOB hate.
It's because he is dumb.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
he wasn't due a raise

He made 1.6 last year and improved. So would he be signing for less?

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Kid Canuck*

I think he will be qualified, if anything we would walk away from him during the arbitration process.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Because if the Canucks dump him in late summer, he could be lucky to make $1m somewhere.

At this point he's on shaky ground if he asks for anything more than the "walk away" number, which I believe is somewhere around $1.4m.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Placebo Effect

Kristin Reid said Gillis told her he plans to qualify ALL RFA's

Quote:
Gillis told me he will qualify all their RFA's. Likely the paperwork has already been done, they just haven't announced it

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
I actually ran into SOB a few weeks ago in Vancouver (he was in town for UFC), and he told me his agent let him know the Canucks would qualify him and probably go the arbitration route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Things change.
Strangely I believe you more than I trust the clowns on 1040 however. Doesn't fit in with Gillis's methodical ways to just let him leave for nothing when he can still be an asset.
Commitment aside, he did play with a ton of heart in the playoffs, don't forget. There are worse things we could do than keeping SOB (ie keeping #3).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Gillis said at the draft that he would qualify everyone, so I don't believe this report is correct. Even if SOB didn't have roster spot, it would be poor asset management to let him walk for free.

I'd like to see SOB back. He's better than Alberts basically every night, better than Rome most nights and we could definitely use his kind of player with Ballard running around and not having the specific skills to back it up.
gets signed for cheap alot of teams will be looking for dmen after the intial signings.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
galiano

Gillis has said he will qualify all of the Canucks RFAs.

http://canucks.nhl.tv/team/console.j...-gillismcnally

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
m9

I like O'Brien as a 6th guy, but he just makes too much money for that role. If he can take a bit of a discount and show some progress on and off the ice this year, then maybe next year when Salo and/or Bieksa are gone he can step up into a larger role.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
skg

Not liking how soft our D becomes if we trade Bieksa, as rumored, and let SOB walk away for nothing. The whole point was to add more sandpaper and toughness to the lineup and not qualifying SOB goes against that theory.

Once again, total bullpucks from the gurus at team 1040.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Burrows

@sportsnetmurph

Canuck have given Shane OBrien a qualifying offer of 1.6 million for one year.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Libor Polasek

You know if SOB gets qualified or re-signed, there's going to be at least one happy guy in Vancouver....

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
@sportsnetmurph

Canuck have given Shane OBrien a qualifying offer of 1.6 million for one year.
Link:
http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/17270360998

Looks like the next move will be O'Brien electing arbitration unless he decides to sign his QO (does not often happen).

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I suspect that he will sign his QO offer (if he gets one) and since he made $1.6mm last year, this years QO will be $1.6mm.....no raise coming IMO.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
fools russian

Quote:
I don't get the SOB hate. He is a damn solid 5/6 defenseman who played well when forced into a top six role. He isn't the smartest guy off the ice, but his issues aren't serious.

He moves the puck well and is mobile for his size. He has little offense to give, but for $1.5-$1.8 mill, he is terrific value.
I totally agree with you. I think it all boils down to his off-ice issues. I hope we can get him back for cheap though.

if nothing else, just to have a jersey for Conan to wear the next time he's in Vancouver.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
I suspect that he will sign his QO offer (if he gets one) and since he made $1.6mm last year, this years QO will be $1.6mm.....no raise coming IMO.
I wouldn't be suprised to see the Canucks take him to arbitration. Don't think he has much of a case coming off an 8 point season where he was a healthy scratch and had off-ice issues.

There may not be much upside (reduce his contract by a couple hundred thousand) but at the same time every little bit may help and they probably don't have much to lose either.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
That's true. The only reason I see to let him go is if we need to pinch pennies on the bottom pairing.
Or bring back Willie Mitchell. If the Canucks want to bring back Mitchell and make a free agent addition on the backend there won't be any cap space, nor a roster spot for O'Brien.

I'm still holding out hope we can retain Mitchell and sign a top 4 dman. That's why I'll be happy to see O'Brien play elsewhere next season.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote