HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lebrun: Kings tried to trade for Kovalchuk's rights

Old
06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

vCash: 500
Just because he hasn't signed in NJ yet doesn't mean anything. He said all along he is going to test free agency. He knows where Lou stands and will compare it to his other offers or will let Lou know what kind of money is being thrown at him.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

People in here make me LOL. From reading HF, one could garner that Kovy is already a Leaf.

Realistically, he'll be a King, a Devil, or in the KHL.

I have no idea why people are discounting NJ as a possible destination. Did anyone realistically think that he would not be testing the open market? Also, maybe it's the Devils holding it up. Maybe Ilya is making absurd demands and they want him to realize no one else would offer him that.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:17 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

This is out of left field but I think the Sens are going to make a serious offer to Kovalchuk. Its nothing more than a gut feeling but he would fit in well.

I doubt he'll sign here over a place like LA (who can probably offer even more money and California beaches). Ottawa has nothing upfront coming in the next few years but has an elite pool of defensive prospects so OTT has to get goal scoring via trade or free agency. Kovy is the best available guy so its reasonable to think they might give it a shot.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This is out of left field but I think the Sens are going to make a serious offer to Kovalchuk. Its nothing more than a gut feeling but he would fit in well.

I doubt he'll sign here over a place like LA (who can probably offer even more money and California beaches). Ottawa has nothing upfront coming in the next few years but has an elite pool of defensive prospects so OTT has to get goal scoring via trade or free agency. Kovy is the best available guy so its reasonable to think they might give it a shot.
This is exactly why he's going to UFA, imo. There's certainly going to be plenty of reasonable (and some looney) offers/scenarios for him to choose from.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

Does he want Mike Fisher as his #1 center?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:35 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Does he want Mike Fisher as his #1 center?
How about the guy who went right after him in his draft? He's alright...

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Kovalchuk is NOT going to Toronto. Sorry Leafs fans....not saying he's going to LA for sure, but he's NOT going to Toronto.

Why in the world would he want to go to the second worst team in the league that didn't even get a top pick for all their misery. Come on people.

He'll get his money somewhere, and will have to decide based on what he likes best.

I have a strong feeling that he may want to go to the city with most Russians. He gets to speak his language, eat his food, etc. Kovalchuk to the Rangers.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
The the problem with your reasoning is assuming other teams, moreso than the Kings: a. have the cap space to sign him, and b. are competitive enough for him to go there. New Jersey is the only team realistically in the Kovalchuk race, and they've yet to sign him. St. Louis, Toronto, Anaheim, etc. these are teams that all missed the playoffs last season, and have other needs, as well.

[snip]

And I'm continually bemused at your attempts to disparage the Kings and their fans in threads like these. The Kings dramatically improved this past seaso. Don't be dumb. Doughty was nominated for a Norris and the team had its first 100 pt. season in over a decade. We're a playoff contender, worthy of any "big fish" UFA. They're a team very much on the radar of the National Hockey League, despite what your Duck bandwagon jumping rationale asserts.
The problem with your reasoning is that you're looking through purple-colored glasses and are a little too emotionally invested. You proved it in your last paragraph. I didn't even come close to "disparaging" the team or its fans. I simply said something that you didn't want to believe by expressing doubts about the certainty of Kovalchuk signing with LA. If you've rested your hopes and dreams on Kovalchuk since last July, convinced yourself that it's a sure thing and are this sensitive to those expressing doubts, it's not my fault.

The Kings aren't quite as attractive to free agents as you think... yet. One good season and a first round appearance isn't enough of a guarantee to convince the biggest free agents. Just consider who the Blue Jackets and Blues were (not) able to sign after their most recent playoff appearances and how they did the following season(s). If UFAs had signed with them under the impression that they were only going up, they would've realized within a year that the teams weren't as good as they thought. If the Kings (or Ducks, for that matter) do sign Kovalchuk, it'll be largely for off-ice reasons. Afterall, the rumors that you hear about Ilya wanting to go to LA always seem to be about the lifestyle, city opportunities and the lack of media attention. They never seem to be because of the team's competitiveness or the rest of the reasons that you gave.

The Kings are in a better position going into free agency this year, but they're no Blackhawks, Penguins or Red Wings, teams that the best players will take less for or sign longer with because their competitiveness can be counted on. The Kings are still in the tier that needs to offer something else, such as more money or the advantages of the city. The Kings might get Kovalchuk because of the latter, but we've seen this script before: regardless of how much it seems like a lock, the players always sign elsewhere on July 1st, either for more money or to be on a better team, leaving hopeful fans defeated and wondering why a player who "wanted" to sign with LA could possibly sign elsewhere at the first opportunity. I've seen it too many times to get so excited before it actually happens, and that's my advice to Kings (and all) fans, but you're welcome to set yourself up for potential disappointment if you want.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
KevinBurgundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Trading the rights to roster players isn't Lou's MO. He never does things like that.
If you are serious... he never makes splashy trades for players with reputations and attitudes like Kovalchuk either. Just saying. Lou's gone off the map a few times in the last 6 months. I don't get where he's taking the Devils now.

KevinBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
When was the last time that a free agent, who was widely speculated to sign with a particular team, did actually sign with that team on July 1st?
What about Duchesne back in the summer of '98?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
The Kings are in a better position going into free agency this year, but they're no Blackhawks, Penguins or Red Wings, teams that the best players will take less for or sign longer with because their competitiveness can be counted on. The Kings are still in the tier that needs to offer something else, such as more money or the advantages of the city. The Kings might get Kovalchuk because of the latter, but we've seen this script before: regardless of how much it seems like a lock, the players always sign elsewhere on July 1st, either for more money or to be on a better team, leaving hopeful fans defeated and wondering why a player who "wanted" to sign with LA could possibly sign elsewhere at the first opportunity. I've seen it too many times to get so excited before it actually happens, and that's my advice to Kings (and all) fans, but you're welcome to set yourself up for potential disappointment if you want.

I'm sorry but I disagree. You are right that the Kings struck out on players in years past but that was mainly when they were in last place in the conference year after year. DL mentioned last year that he could have had Gaborik if he was willing to match the Rangers offer which he wasn't because of injury history. Hossa specifically stated he wanted to go to a 100 point team and the Kings had no proof they were going to get there. So while there is no guarantee the Kings will sign him, there is no doubt to me they will make an effort to and the Kings ARE a good option for him.

I haven't been resting my hopes on his signing since last summer either. But when the team makes an effort to trade for his rights, it does make me a bit optimistic the Kings might actually have a chance to sign him. This is their best opportunity to sign a big UFA in probably close to 10 years. By all means, keep living your life underneath a black cloud if that is what makes you happy. A little optimism never hurt anyone. If DL strikes out, well so be it. I do have faith the team will be improved for next season and that is all I can ask for. He can't make Ilya sign on the dotted line.

I'm not so sure about the St. Louis or Columbus comparisons either. Columbus made the playoffs largely on the performance of their goalie the year before. The Kings have a center in Kopitar that neither have an equal comparison to.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
aBurmistrov

On TSN, the news at the bottom of screen said something like:
L.A Kings ready to make substantial offer to Kovalchuk.

aBurmistrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaze View Post
On TSN, the news at the bottom of screen said something like:
L.A Kings ready to make substantial offer to Kovalchuk.
He's still under contract. Isn't that a subtle form of tampering?

The guy is worth 7 million. He is not an 8-9 million dollar player. He's 6-7, but his UFA inflation is just going to handcuff whoever he goes to. The KHL awaits...

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Absentia Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Why in the world would he want to go to the second worst team in the league that didn't even get a top pick for all their misery. Come on people.

He'll get his money somewhere, and will have to decide based on what he likes best.

I have a strong feeling that he may want to go to the city with most Russians. He gets to speak his language, eat his food, etc. Kovalchuk to the Rangers.
Three reasons I don't think he'll sign with the Rangers:
1. They aren't exactly an organization with history of winning
2. They aren't considered an up and coming team
3. There cap situation is less favorable than teams like LA, and NJ.

Absentia Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post

The guy is worth 7 million. He is not an 8-9 million dollar player. He's 6-7, but his UFA inflation is just going to handcuff whoever he goes to. The KHL awaits...
1) How is tampering if somebody else says they are going to make a big offer or even if they themselves said they were? They just can't start negotiating until the 1st. THey can say they want to sign him.

2) That is great what value you put on him but you have no idea what HE wants. Maybe he doesn't want 8-9 million? Maybe he is looking for something specific? I get the impression that he knows where he wants to go based off his quote that said something like he is waiting until July 1st and that it should be over pretty quickly on that day. That to me sounds like he knows what he wants which may be he is going to take the highest offer come July 1st. Who knows? But the Kings can afford to give him an $8m CAP hit but who knows what the Kings GM is really willing to offer.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Lamoriello denied an ESPN.com report that he turned down an offer from the Los Angeles Kings for the negotiating rights to potential unrestricted free agent Ilya Kovalchuk.

“That’s not true,” he said.

In fact, Lamoriello said, “I didn’t have an offer,” from any team for Kovalchuk’s rights. He would not comment on whether he would trade Kovalchuk’s rights if any team does make an offer or if he was looking to trade his rights.

/thread

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

^
haha!

Old
06-28-2010, 12:36 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Lou doesn't have to admit that he received an offer, especially not if it's from a close friend like Lombardi.

Not every GM is Burke letting everyone know what is being offered.

Osprey...your comparison to CBJ is a stretch while I will say that the comparison to St. Louis is justified. The difference though is what LA has to offer at the key positions in regards to the Blues of last Summer: Better #1 center in Kopitar, Better goaltending and a Norris finalist in Doughty. Also, the prospect pools are comparable and both highly rated.

Also, you are assuming that both CBJ and STL went hard after Hossa or Gaborik. Does CBJ have an internal cap? Didn't they have to lock up Nash? While this could be viewed as good or bad, LA is a far different living environment than the aforementioned cities as well.

Kovalchuk is not 34 years old. I think it's an easy sell for Lombardi in regards to the future this team has in front of them; especially with Kovalchuk as a part of it. Kovalchuk can take passes from Kopitar and breakout passes from Doughty. Powerplay numbers would be silly.

I have no doubts that Lombardi sees Kovalchuk as a "core guy" and a true difference maker for this team going forward. He can keep looking for deals and just collect and roll with youth and be the Oakland A's or he can keep that type of foundation along with making the team a legit contender. He's going to attempt to do the latter.

It's not guaranteed whatsoever, but even you have to admit that LA makes the most sense.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
From what I get he doen't like alot of media attention and that goes right along with LA. He can play and keep a low profile as far as stars go.
In LA...Jimmy Hoffa could still be alive and playing for the Kings...and they still wouldn't cover it...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
rajuabju

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post

Couldnt agree more.

I'd love for us to sign Kovy for $6m - $7m. But at $8+? No, sorry. He's not a top 5 player in this league to demand top 5 player money. It would handicap us way too much when we need to start resigning some of our other guys if we tied up $8.5M/year in cap space on Kovy.

If his primary motivation is money, I can see him going to the KHL.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Couldnt agree more.

I'd love for us to sign Kovy for $6m - $7m. But at $8+? No, sorry. He's not a top 5 player in this league to demand top 5 player money. It would handicap us way too much when we need to start resigning some of our other guys if we tied up $8.5M/year in cap space on Kovy.

If his primary motivation is money, I can see him going to the KHL.
who are the top 5 players in the league?

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
10 ft. pole

I'll show you where I rank Kovalchuk

1.) Alex Ovechkin---------9.532 cap hit til' 2021-2022
2.) Cindy Crosby-----------8.7 cap hit til' 2012-2013
3.) Evgeni Malkin-----------8.7 cap hit til' 2013-2014
4.) Nik Backstrom----------6.7 cap hit til' 2020-2021
5.) Henrik Sedin------------6.1 cap hit til' 2014-2015
6.) Joe Thornton------------7.2 cap hit til' 2011-2012
7.) Duncan Keith------------5.51 cap hit til' 2021-2022
8.) Henrik Zetterberg------6.083 cap hit til '2021-2022
9.) Pavel Datsyuk----------6.7 cap hit til' 2014-2015
10.)Illya Kovalchuk

If you average the best players cap hits he would get 7.24 million over 7 years. That would be a very good idea of his value if you ask me.

Last edited by 10 ft. pole: 06-28-2010 at 01:26 PM.
10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:21 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post

1.) Alex Ovechkin
2.) Cindy Crosby
3.) Evgeni Malkin
4.) Nik Backstrom
5.) Henrik Sedin
6.) Joe Thornton
7.) Duncan Keith
8.) Steve Stamkos
9.) Illya Kovalchuk
in your opinion.

I would take Kovalchuk over Sedin, Thornton, and Keith as a Kings fan.

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
10 ft. pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
in your opinion.

I would take Kovalchuk over Sedin, Thornton, and Keith as a Kings fan.
edited post

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Ralph
Stevehead.

vCash: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post

1.) Alex Ovechkin---------9.532 cap hit til' 2021-2022
2.) Cindy Crosby-----------8.7 cap hit til' 2012-2013
3.) Evgeni Malkin-----------8.7 cap hit til' 2013-2014
4.) Nik Backstrom----------6.7 cap hit til' 2020-2021
5.) Henrik Sedin------------6.1 cap hit til' 2014-2015
6.) Joe Thornton------------7.2 cap hit til' 2011-2012
7.) Duncan Keith------------5.51 cap hit til' 2021-2022
8.) Henrik Zetterberg------6.083 cap hit til '2021-2022
9.) Pavel Datsyuk----------6.7 cap hit til' 2014-2015
10.)Illya Kovalchuk

If you average the best players cap hits he would get 7.24 million over 7 years. That would be a very good idea of his value if you ask me.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=733861

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote