HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Sabres 5th Round Pick (143rd Overall) RW Gregg Sutch

Old
06-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Buffalo Sabres 5th Round Pick (143rd Overall) RW Gregg Sutch

CSB 101st ranked North American
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 190 lbs
Shoots - R

THN blog he wrote - http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Slovakia.html

On his deafness - http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/544395

The kid plays a hard, heavy game.

06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
BCS

Seems like an easy kid to root for. Hopefully he makes it to the Sabres someday.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:00 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
Very cool story. Let's hope he makes it big one day.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Brings back memories of Jim Kyte

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
SilverNitro23

Gregg Sutch...

I LOVE this pick!!

I hope he makes it on the team eventually, it'd prove that deaf/hard of hearing players CAN play hockey. I love it!

HUGE respect for the Sabres for picking him!

SilverNitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Sutch a good pick for the Sabres. Great story too.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He played with a who's who of this draft at the Hlinka U-18's last year --
Quote:
...with Ryan Spooner, Jeff Skinner, Steve Silas, Jordan Weal, Brett Connolly and Erik Gudbranson

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Gregg Sutch has the following listed among his activities on Facebook:
"Americans Don't Deserve to Play the Game at the Same Time as Us"

Cute. He may be an 18-year-old but he needs to think about these things.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Everyone should read through his blog entries at THN. Seems he may be yet another "fell due to injury player" along with Pysyk. Here's another entry:

Quote:
This season has gotten off to a rough start with absolutely no luck, unfortunately.

In the last shift of our last pre-season game against the Peterborough Petes, I had an awkward fall and sustained a high ankle sprain, tearing three ligaments. I learned I was going to miss the first eight weeks of my season with my new team, the Mississauga-St. Mike’s Majors.

This was upsetting, but I remained positive because I understood there would still be a good chunk of the season left, so the goal was to do extensive rehab and treatments everyday.

Rehab included balancing on unstable surface boards, a series of lunges to strengthen my ankle and hitting the bike everyday.

Once I was able to start skating again, I was dealt another blow; a staph infection in the same ankle I had just injured.

After I was diagnosed with the staph infection, which is very painful and caused the ankle to swell up to the size of a couple tennis balls, I went on strong medication to rid the infection.
Quote:
Nine games later, we were on a road trip, visiting Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.

Halfway into the second period, I received a pass up the middle of the ice and my good buddy, the Soo’s Brock Beukeboom, stepped into me with a clean hit. I was down low to the ice and ‘Beuk’ came down on the top of my shoulder, which caused it to slip out of joint.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
VilleLeino

waste of a pick...He cant hear anything....

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaletaVANEK View Post
Good for him. He doesn't have to listen to negative nancys like yourself and can focus on improving his game.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:07 PM
SilverNitro23

Quote:
I really hope you're being sarcastic, and if you are, it's a very bad attempt at sarcasm.

Anyone can play hockey, it does not matter if you can hear or not, it does not hamper your physical abilities. I'm sure he overcame any limitation that he had with communications.

I can see him making the team a few years down the road, and I'll be cheering for him big time.

My deaf sister plays on a hockey team and she is one of their best player, and she probably can beat up anyone on the ice.

Just because he can't hear is NOT a good reason why this pick may be bad, and honestly, anyone who believe that it actually is, is indeed an idiot.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
VilleLeino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverNitro23 View Post
I really hope you're being sarcastic, and if you are, it's a very bad attempt at sarcasm.

Anyone can play hockey, it does not matter if you can hear or not, it does not hamper your physical abilities. I'm sure he overcame any limitation that he had with communications.

I can see him making the team a few years down the road, and I'll be cheering for him big time.

My deaf sister plays on a hockey team and she is one of their best player, and she probably can beat up anyone on the ice.

Just because he can't hear is NOT a good reason why this pick may be bad, and honestly, anyone who believe that it actually is, is indeed an idiot.
Get real chief...This kid has overcome a lot and I respect that,but if you for one second believe a deaf person can play in the NHL you're Delusional and biased because of a family situation.There is a slight difference between a youth hockey team and the Buffalo Sabres. Come on guys this has been a foolish draft by a GM that has ran his course.A bunch of injured guys a bust and a deaf guy....

Old
06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Get real chief...This kid has overcome a lot and I respect that,but if you for one second believe a deaf person can play in the NHL you're Delusional and biased because of a family situation.There is a slight difference between a youth hockey team and the Buffalo Sabres. Come on guys this has been a foolish draft by a GM that has ran his course.A bunch of injured guys a bust and a deaf guy....
Grant Marshall and Jim Kyte sign "hello"....

Seems you're fairly down on these guys already. Who is the "bust" you speak of?

Old
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Bryan Berard played in the league and he was practically blind in one eye...

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
VilleLeino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Grant Marshall signs "hello"....

Seems you're fairly down on these guys already. Who is the "bust" you speak of?
Most of our draft are busts.Face it we're ****ed.Regier is going to run the team into the ground before he leaves...then we got another 5 years till we're competitive.Lets face it this kid is irrelevant deaf or not.4th liners are not what we needed to draft.I still cant believe people think this kid has a chance though..more trouble than its worth for a fringe player.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
SilverNitro23

Well, guess what, I'm deaf myself too, so if this guy makes it to the NHL, he'll be my hero.

Yes, you can say I'm biased, because I can relate a lot with him too.

Just wait and watch him work his way into the team, you will see.

I'm glad to have a prospect I'm excited about, and there is nothing anyone can do to hamper it, because people like you only give us more motivation, so bring it on!

Old
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Most of our draft are busts.Face it we're ****ed.Regier is going to run the team into the ground before he leaves...then we got another 5 years till we're competitive.Lets face it this kid is irrelevant deaf or not.4th liners are not what we needed to draft.I still cant believe people think this kid has a chance though..more trouble than its worth for a fringe player.
You would be upset with drafting a 4th liner in the 5th round? Seriously? Approximately 2/3 of 5th round picks never play a game in the NHL. If they got a roster player out of a 5th round pick--4th liner or otherwise--they're ahead of the game.

We get it, you're upset with the draft. But to be ripping on a player for his disability is pretty low.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
So you didn't like the Kaleta pick?

He was 5th rounder, it's a limited gamble and a nice story if he works out, meaningless if he doesn't. If Sutch doesn't make the NHL, I doubt his hearing impairment will be the reason.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
[b]Most of our draft are busts.[b] Face it we're ****ed.Regier is going to run the team into the ground before he leaves...then we got another 5 years till we're competitive.Lets face it this kid is irrelevant deaf or not.4th liners are not what we needed to draft.I still cant believe people think this kid has a chance though..more trouble than its worth for a fringe player.
Most draft picks in general are busts, the NHL draft is a complete crapshoot. Very few people in the world play hockey in the NHL, it's not easy to make it.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
dire wolf
be cool

don't feed the trolls

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Another little tidbit from one of our own resident prospect followers, Brock Otten:

Quote:
32. Gregg Sutch - Forward - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
Even with his offensive and injury struggles this season, Sutch is a player I'm very high on. One of the reasons why lies in his character make up. He keeps a blog over at The Hockey News (here) and is a VERY well spoken teenager. He had a very tough year with injuries, including a high ankle sprain, an ankle staph infection, and a shoulder separation. But he fought through all of that and finished the year strong, having what I felt was a strong playoffs for the Majors. A lot was expected from Sutch this season in Missy after coming over from Sarnia in an offseason trade, and as a contributing member of Team Ontario at last year's Under 17's, and Team Canada at last summer's Under 18 Ivan Hlinka tournament, the expectations were justified. Sutch is a big, mean power forward who actually skates very well and has good hands in close. I think that with an offseason of recuperation, he could come back VERY strong next season and begin to make a consistent offensive impact.

Old
06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
OcAirlines

I know he had a lot of injuries, but wow his stats look awful. I hope he'll be able to do much better when he can play a full year...

Could you tell some more about his hearing condition? Can he hear absolutely nothing or is there a bit of hearing left? Does he use an hearing aid while playing?
I'm asking this because my soccer club had a prospect a few years ago who had under 10% hearing and was considered deaf. He still managed to play 8 games in the 2. Bundesliga before leaving the team after not constantly making the lineup. He used some special and pretty expensive hearing device too, but still had to play mainly on vision and anticipation.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:44 PM
SilverNitro23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I know he had a lot of injuries, but wow his stats look awful. I hope he'll be able to do much better when he can play a full year...

Could you tell some more about his hearing condition? Can he hear absolutely nothing or is there a bit of hearing left? Does he use an hearing aid while playing?
I'm asking this because my soccer club had a prospect a few years ago who had under 10% hearing and was considered deaf. He still managed to play 8 games in the 2. Bundesliga before leaving the team after not constantly making the lineup. He used some special and pretty expensive hearing device too, but still had to play mainly on vision and anticipation.
I'll see if I can help out.

Based on this article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/544395
Quote:
Sutch, the Sarnia Sting’s rookie wrecking ball, was born with what doctors term “severe to profound” hearing loss.
I myself have a Profound hearing loss, so I'll guess he can hear as much as I can, or just a little better than me. With my hearing aids on, I can pretty much hear a lot of things that are above 70dB (for a regular conversation, I can hear anyone's voice, but I do not hear the "s", "g", "h", "k" and sounds like that). That'd make me VERY dependent on lip-reading, just like him as mentioned in that article.

With my hearing aids on, I can hear quite a bit, crowd cheering, and everything, but not whistles etc. (w/o hearing aids, I pretty much hear nothing at all).

I am not sure if Gregg Sutch actually use his hearing aids on the ice, because whenever I play sports I always have it off so sweats does not damage my hearing aids (as it cost like $1600 each, and insurance does not cover it).

Whenever I play sport (I played soccer, basketball, and a little bit of roller hockey), not hearing the whistle is pretty much the only thing to be concerned about. Vision and anticipation pretty much is all you need. For example, tapping your stick to call for play or to signal you're open is quite noticeable, and it can be easily seen as it's heard.

The fact that he got drafted pretty much shows he can play hockey without issues (well, the only issue is hearing whistles, but I've been taught to just keep playing until you're SURE that play has stopped).

I hope I answered your question.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Vito_81

I'm in his corner that's for sure.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote