HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen won't get QO

Old
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think you misread it. Less money than QO he deserves, not less than his last season salary.
Huh?

His salary was $750K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
EC's qualifying has to be at least 750K plus 5% so that's $787,500...
It's 10%, not 5%. $825K qualifies him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM
SaveByLundqvist

I would like to see Christensen back. He showed great chemistry with Gabby and Dubi/Prospal and hes pretty dependable in the shootouts. If we can save money on him to play with Gabby then we could improve elsewhere.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:22 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Huh?

His salary was $750K.

It's 10%, not 5%. $825K qualifies him.

Players making less than $660K get 110%, players making 660K-$1M get 105%, players making over a million get 100%....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
I would like to see Christensen back. He showed great chemistry with Gabby and Dubi/Prospal and hes pretty dependable in the shootouts. If we can save money on him to play with Gabby then we could improve elsewhere.
I honestly dont know how this misconception took on an absolute mind of its own as the season went on.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Players making less than $660K get 110%, players making 660K-$1M get 105%, players making over a million get 100%....
Oops, you are correct. $787.5K it is.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I honestly dont know how this misconception took on an absolute mind of its own as the season went on.
Still how could you not want him back, he'll come cheap and if say Stepan is ready to step in or he sucks it up then you waive him. And can you explain how its a misconception that he showed chemistry with Gabby.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:38 PM
haveandare

Quote:
It's still a dice roll though. He's far more likely to hit the waiver wire again than he is to buck the odds and show his true potential 5 years later. Earn the pay day, then I'll worry about paying for it.
Well put, I agree 100%. I don't think Christensen is a lock to tear it up this year by any means, but if he does I'm all for the front office to give him a pay day. We're talking Torts here though, nobody is guaranteed a spot on the top line for a whole season until its obvious that they deserve it. I wouldn't plan on Christensen being with Gabby all year, its possible, sure, but not likely enough that I'd base cap management around it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I've edited the OP to include "NY still hoping Christensen will re-sign for more term and at less money". That's kind of a major part to omit.

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why would you want to commit to EC for anything more than 1 year? Can you really expect him to take less than $825K?
I don't see why not. EC has bounced around a lot the last few years and was waived a couple times. I think he'd be agreeable to a lower amount if it meant job security for the next couple years.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
Still how could you not want him back, he'll come cheap and if say Stepan is ready to step in or he sucks it up then you waive him. And can you explain how its a misconception that he showed chemistry with Gabby.
Everyone who plays with Gaborik seemingly shows chemistry with him because he is a great player. From Brandon Dubinsky to Vinny Prospal to Erik Christensen.

Besides, the phrase that you used when describing the Christensen/Gaborik tandem was "great chemistry." Sorry, I dont see it.

With that said, yea, I'll take him back...dont know why it has to be 2 years at this point. Just qualify him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

They're clearly looking to get him down to something that starts with a 6.

Hey, every couple of hundred thou counts if you're pursuing my Kovalchuk plan...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
If this is true then they feel like someone can step up and do the job better or they are going to look elsewhere.

Who can step in?

- Byers and Weise can't presently be relied to provide anything more than 4th line duty, if that.

- Grachev looked very unready and so is very likely Stepan. Absolute best-case scenario is that one of them join the team after the All Star break, but even that is very optimistic.

- Who else is there? Locke?!

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
XLJ

Christensen was a nice pickup by Sather glad they are trying to resign him. But I doubt he will last the full season as the number 1 center. I bet they go back to Dubi or Anisimov if they cant upgrade.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Fletch

if people want Christenson back because of his chemistry with Gaborik, and if the plan is for him to play with Gaborik, then the Rangers have some issues. The guy should be playing on the third or fourth line.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
frankthefrowner

Im surprised EC isnt just signing the 2 year contract... i mean the dude was inches away from not playing in the league and Sather/Torts gave him real shot by playing him on the 1st Line. If im him i sign the 2year deal for the sole reason of Job Stability.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
The guy should be playing on the third or fourth line.
Wrong.

Christianson is a Top-6 forward, or an AHLer. With his style and skillset, it's all or nothing. He's useless in a bottom-6 role. He doesn't hit particularly well, doesn't backcheck particularly well, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't grind, why would you want him bottom-6?

He has above-average passing and shooting skills. He just needs to USE them.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
if people want Christenson back because of his chemistry with Gaborik, and if the plan is for him to play with Gaborik, then the Rangers have some issues. The guy should be playing on the third or fourth line.
Yeah but we already knew this. They're really weak at center without a legit top line guy. Christensen is useful because he did play well with Gaborik, but if he won't come back, then it's not big loss. Playing in NY is probably his best chance to get a bigger payday down the road instead of bombing out of the league, since the Rangers are so weak at center he's more likely to get playing time with Gaborik and put up more points

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
They are going for a stopgap at center. I predict that Koivu and possibly Savard (not to be considered a stopgap though) to be under consideration as top - 2 centers in case Kovalchuk does not materialize (do not think it will actually...). They are also lowballing him to keep some necessary depth on the roster.
However - unpredicted moves will be made. Enver Lisin will not be the only one not wearing a Blueshirt from last years squad come September. Lets hope for a reasonable team turnover and a non-disasterous July 1. Sedate him. Lock him up somewhere. Do something

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd like Christensen back for a year, maybe even two. If he sucks again, dump him back in Hartford. He's a nice depth guy.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
gus1

Quote:
utter bs, he is either a top 6 or a AHL

gus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I've edited the OP to include "NY still hoping Christensen will re-sign for more term and at less money". That's kind of a major part to omit.

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why would you want to commit to EC for anything more than 1 year? Can you really expect him to take less than $825K?
Yeah, kind of a head scratcher, makes me wonder how legitimate the report is.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the Rangers give Christensen a QO,he is eligible for salary arbitration.

The deadline is right now. 5:00pm eastern

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yeah, kind of a head scratcher, makes me wonder how legitimate the report is.
Nick Kypreos reported it and Larry Brooks confirmed.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Wrong.

Christianson is a Top-6 forward, or an AHLer. With his style and skillset, it's all or nothing. He's useless in a bottom-6 role. He doesn't hit particularly well, doesn't backcheck particularly well, doesn't kill penalties, doesn't grind, why would you want him bottom-6?

He has above-average passing and shooting skills. He just needs to USE them.
There's nothing wrong with having a 3rd line that scores more so than "grinds", especially if you have a 4th line that can do that effectively.

And if he was centering guys like Avery and Callahan, it doesn't really make a difference anyway. What would worry me is if our 3rd line ended up being something like Grachev-Christensen-MZA

Old
06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
RangerFan10

I think this guy earned another shot with us after what he did last season. He gave us a center to play with Gaborik when we were really hurting for options, and was a HUGE part of our run at the 8th seed.

What was most impressive is that he continued to produce when Gaborik was out of the lineup, and again when Gaborik came back and wasn't 100%.

I'll defend this guy to the bitter end, because I think he really showed a lot of character last season in his time here, and the talent is clearly there. Not every quality top 6 forward developed into the player they are before 25 or 26.

Christensen is 26, and I think we're making a mistake if we don't take a chance on him for ~$1mil per year for 1 or 2 years. If we can give guys like Aaron Voros and Patrick Rissmiller 3 years $3million, why the hell wouldn't we?????

He scored 18 goals in 61 games in 06-07 with the Pens, and from what i've seen this guy can pass the puck too. I'll get a lot of crap for saying it, but if Christensen put it all together, which I think is still absolutely possible, he could be a 25-25/20-30 type guy. Especially if Gaborik is his winger.

I'm hoping these are just speculation reports, but Sather finally found some good, cheap, character guys in Prust, Shelley, Christensen, etc. and all that's been reported so far is these guys WON'T be back next season.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If the Rangers give Christensen a QO,he is eligible for salary arbitration.

The deadline is right now. 5:00pm eastern
I guess that KIND OF explains the last part of the report, but how much could he honestly get if he went to arbitration? Would he even really do that considering the Rangers were the only team willing to give him a shot last season and he seemed grateful for it?