HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Workouts

Old
06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingub View Post
Looking at the topic, I'm seeing a lot of complicated workouts. As a 14 year old, what workouts should I do? I'm trying to get into shape for next season, and so I'm starting to run at my local park every day, along with playing a lot of street hockey; at least three times a week for more than three hours each time. Also, I only have one ten pound weight and an exercise ball at home; I'm looking into signing up for a gym membership at my local community centre. What type of hockey oriented workouts should I do for my age? I have never played ice hockey and only played street hockey, as I do not have the budget to get any equipment and I do not know how to skate.
Just make sure you do sport specific workouts. Long distance running is not ideal for training for hockey because in hockey you need short, explosive bursts of speed.

I used to jog, and then do wind sprints, then job, then wind sprints. This way I build cardio, and my fast twitch muscles.

Biking up hill and running up stairs also helps.

The best book I read is complete conditioning for ice hockey, I learned a lot and read it when I was about your age. here is an updated version on amazon

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Catingub

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Just make sure you do sport specific workouts. Long distance running is not ideal for training for hockey because in hockey you need short, explosive bursts of speed.

I used to jog, and then do wind sprints, then job, then wind sprints. This way I build cardio, and my fast twitch muscles.

Biking up hill and running up stairs also helps.

The best book I read is complete conditioning for ice hockey, I learned a lot and read it when I was about your age. here is an updated version on amazon
Just have a question pertaining to "Complete Conditioning for Hockey." What happens if you don't know how to skate? Are you still able to do the ice hockey drills playing street hockey?

Catingub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingub View Post
Just have a question pertaining to "Complete Conditioning for Hockey." What happens if you don't know how to skate? Are you still able to do the ice hockey drills playing street hockey?
yeah man, the book is filled with off ice workouts to improve everything to do with hockey. I have the book next to me

the back says

"Increase strength to carry the puck through traffic. Pack more power when checking and opponent. Improve quickness and agility and create angles for higher percentage shots." ......."This book and DVD package features a comprehensive training approach that will build players physical abilities as well as the hockey specific skills required for skating, puck handling, passing, shooting, and body checking"

It covers basic stuff like proper stretching and goes in depth on plyometrics and stuff like that. It also has a lot of workouts that you can do with basically some weights and a swiss ball. Also some you can do with just tape on the floor like the foot speed drills.

There are some great workouts to improve your stride and acceleration with an angled box so in high school I built one myself with some scraps I bought at home depot and some grip tape. It only costs about $20 and I used it a lot in the basement

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Catingub

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
yeah man, the book is filled with off ice workouts to improve everything to do with hockey. I have the book next to me

the back says

"Increase strength to carry the puck through traffic. Pack more power when checking and opponent. Improve quickness and agility and create angles for higher percentage shots." ......."This book and DVD package features a comprehensive training approach that will build players physical abilities as well as the hockey specific skills required for skating, puck handling, passing, shooting, and body checking"

It covers basic stuff like proper stretching and goes in depth on plyometrics and stuff like that. It also has a lot of workouts that you can do with basically some weights and a swiss ball. Also some you can do with just tape on the floor like the foot speed drills.

There are some great workouts to improve your stride and acceleration with an angled box so in high school I built one myself with some scraps I bought at home depot and some grip tape. It only costs about $20 and I used it a lot in the basement
I see, I will most definitely look into buying the book. Thanks for the insight beavboyz, once I get the book I'll see how the next few months fare for me!

Old
06-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Renneys Revenge

bike like crazy. whether its a road bike or mountain bike or even just an exercise bike, if you go hard its a simple exercise that requires little equipment or skill (unless youre still on training wheels!) that will pay great dividends. id say that technically real biking (as opposed to an exercise bike) is better because the terrain is constantly changing and your body is less likely to get too used to it. wind sprints are great also especially if you do like 40 yards then lunges back to the start point.

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Catingub

Alright, so I bought Complete Conditioning for Hockey, but as I'm reading through it I'm noticing there are a lot of on-ice workouts, and the off-ice workouts involve equipment that I am not capable of getting. Should I instead be looking into a general fitness program, due to my age? Like I said earlier, I do not know how to skate and the next available skating lessons I can sign up for are all the way in December, meaning that on-ice workouts are a no go for me.