HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

General Off-Topic Thread #1: This One's Retired For You

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2010, 05:24 PM
  #251
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
those guys do a really nice job, the issue is that people generally aren't listening to the radio at 11 am on a Saturday.
People do, but that's just CarTalk time.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
  #252
Lifer
 
Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
People do, but that's just CarTalk time.
Which is an awesome show btw.

Lifer is offline  
Old
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
  #253
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Which is an awesome show btw.
It's one of the most entertaining shows out there and the perfect thing to have on when cleaning.

GopherState is offline  
Old
06-26-2010, 10:10 PM
  #254
Lifer
 
Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's one of the most entertaining shows out there and the perfect thing to have on when cleaning.
The summer after my freshman year of college I worked at a hockey/bike shop building bikes and selling hockey gear. We had that show on every Saturday morning and it was the only time we never went out of our way to talk.

Lifer is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
  #255
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,587
vCash: 500
I can't stand that show. Basically weekends are no-listening for me since it's all gardening, investments, fishing, franchise programming, and other crap.

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 09:46 AM
  #256
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
So I played the most awesome yard game ever over the weekend. It's a Swedish game apparently dating all the way back to the Viking ages. It's called Kubb (pronounced like 'koob'). Here's a basic video of how to play...



The Basic Rules Of Kubb



Objective: Tip over all of the opposing team's Kubbs and then tip of over the king.

Quote:
Team 1 starts things off by taking position behind their own baseline and tossing the six batons at any of the opposing team's Kubbs. You must toss the batons underhanded and spinning, "helicopter" type, throws are not allowed. Be careful to not tip the King over! If a team knocks down the King before they've knocked all of the opponents' Kubbs then the game is over and that team looses.

When Team 1 has tossed all six batons, Team 2 tosses any Kubbs that were knocked down back over into Team 1's half of the playing field. The tossed Kubbs should be stood up again wherever they land. You get two attempts to land each downed Kubb in the opposing team's half of the playing field. If you fail to do so, the opposing team gets to place that Kubb wherever they would like. Placing these Kubbs behind the King is a popular strategy.

Now it is Team 2's turn to toss the batons. Any Kubbs that Team 1 knocked down and were thrown back onto their side of the field must be knocked down first. Only after that can Team 2 attack Team 1's five baseline Kubbs. If a kubb on the baseline is knocked down before a field Kubb, then it is set back up again.

Play continues with each side taking turns throwing the batons until one team has knocked over all of the opponents' Kubbs. When a team succeeds in knocking down all their opponents' Kubbs, they must knock down the King. When this happens, they win the game.



There's a few different variations to the game so look around the web and see which you like best. You can also find the plans to build everything as well. I'm currently in the process of building my own set. It's going to look similar to the (without the stupid fake gems, things) image below. I got everything I needed at Home Depot for $25. So it's fairly cheap and easy to make as well.


this providence is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
  #257
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
On the flipside;

Between the start of my 8th grade year and the end of my 9th grade year, I shot up from 4’ 9” to 5’9”. I gradually rose from 5’ 9” where I thought I would stay (based on genetics) to 6’2” by the time I was 22. When I was 20, I was at 6’ whereas at 18, I was only 5’11”.

It’s possible to grow late, but it's rare biologically.

If you would have told me when I was learning to drive that I would eventually have a hard time finding cars that I fit into, I would have laughed in your face. I couldn’t fit into one of the new (and discontinued) Ford Thunderbirds last summer and I was horribly disappointed. Last week, in Oklahoma, I drove a Jeep Compass and it was claustrophobia inducing.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
  #258
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 50
I'd be hammered for that

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
  #259
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I'd be hammered for that
Well, isn't everyone while playing yard games?

this providence is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
  #260
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
On the flipside;

Between the start of my 8th grade year and the end of my 9th grade year, I shot up from 4’ 9” to 5’9”. I gradually rose from 5’ 9” where I thought I would stay (based on genetics) to 6’2” by the time I was 22. When I was 20, I was at 6’ whereas at 18, I was only 5’11”.

It’s possible to grow late, but it's rare biologically.

If you would have told me when I was learning to drive that I would eventually have a hard time finding cars that I fit into, I would have laughed in your face. I couldn’t fit into one of the new (and discontinued) Ford Thunderbirds last summer and I was horribly disappointed. Last week, in Oklahoma, I drove a Jeep Compass and it was claustrophobia inducing.
If you're from Minnesota originally, maybe you have some scandinavian and/or finnish ancestry? That could be part of an explanation as late growth spurts seem pretty common over here. I've given up hope on my growth spurt though as I sit at 5'9 at 25 xD

mattihp is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
  #261
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Well, isn't everyone while playing yard games?
Touche good sir

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
  #262
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 500
A bit offtopic, but can someone tell easy logic to use, for understanding how tall is... 5'9.. for example. Using metrics would be more logical than those things... but hfboards seems to go with those things, so it would be fun to know are they inches or what and how to fast translate them to normal metric system. Its a gap in my knowledge, fill it

What means the number before this mark: '. For example 5'9, and what means the number after it? How can you translate it to metric system (example 180cm).

QnebO is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
  #263
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
A bit offtopic, but can someone tell easy logic to use, for understanding how tall is... 5'9.. for example. Using metrics would be more logical than those things... but hfboards seems to go with those things, so it would be fun to know are they inches or what and how to fast translate them to normal metric system. Its a gap in my knowledge, fill it

What means the number before this mark: '. For example 5'9, and what means the number after it? How can you translate it to metric system (example 180cm).
5 feet 9 inches tall.

12 inches in a foot

2.54 cm in an inch

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
  #264
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
A bit offtopic, but can someone tell easy logic to use, for understanding how tall is... 5'9.. for example. Using metrics would be more logical than those things... but hfboards seems to go with those things, so it would be fun to know are they inches or what and how to fast translate them to normal metric system. Its a gap in my knowledge, fill it

What means the number before this mark: '. For example 5'9, and what means the number after it? How can you translate it to metric system (example 180cm).
5'9" is read as 5 feet 9 inches (69 inches). Which converts to 175.3 cm.

BuddyMcCormick is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
  #265
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,587
vCash: 500
Lawn games + drinking = awesome. Pre-kid, my gf and I used to get a couple sixers at Noon, slice up some lemons and oranges, and just play bocceball until it got dark and then make a bonfire in the backyard. I miss those days...

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
  #266
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,587
vCash: 500
Yeah a lot of people just write 5'9 instead of 5'9" (or 5-foot and 9-inches) because the inches are implied.

I wish I were 5'9. Oh well, good thing most other rec league hockey players are either short or fat.

Oh yeah, and Google will usually convert things like that for you.

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
  #267
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
GopherState should probably move some of these posts into the OffTopic thread.

I wish I were a different size as well. It's a pain in the ass to shop for clothes as i'm "in between" regular sizes and big and tall.

I can't just buy an XL, because it's far to small in the shoulders and neck. I can't buy an XXL because it's far too large in the waist. Pants are also a major pain, because it's not like they mass produce 34" waist by 36" inseams... Just try to find a pair of those in the store.

Thank god for the internet.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
  #268
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Lawn games + drinking = awesome. Pre-kid, my gf and I used to get a couple sixers at Noon, slice up some lemons and oranges, and just play bocceball until it got dark and then make a bonfire in the backyard. I miss those days...
Still there and trying to take advantage of them until the real world (not the work real world, but the one where someone depends on me) takes over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
GopherState should probably move some of these posts into the OffTopic thread.

I wish I were a different size as well. It's a pain in the ass to shop for clothes as i'm "in between" regular sizes and big and tall.

I can't just buy an XL, because it's far to small in the shoulders and neck. I can't buy an XXL because it's far too large in the waist. Pants are also a major pain, because it's not like they mass produce 34" waist by 36" inseams... Just try to find a pair of those in the store.

Thank god for the internet.
Got it.

GopherState is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
  #269
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Super.


bozak911 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
  #270
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,587
vCash: 500
I hear ya Boz...

I have to buy tapered/slim fit dress shirts because normal ones look like I'm wearing a mu-mu. And I'm not skinny at all at 5'8 175!

And then the freakishly wide shoulders, I need the 16 34/35 shirts because the 32/33's only come halfway down my forearms ...but then I still can't button the neck because it's too tight. Ugh.

Pants are okay though, 34-32, although 31" inseam would be perfect. But that's what tailors are for.

Jarick is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
  #271
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I hear ya Boz...

I have to buy tapered/slim fit dress shirts because normal ones look like I'm wearing a mu-mu. And I'm not skinny at all at 5'8 175!

And then the freakishly wide shoulders, I need the 16 34/35 shirts because the 32/33's only come halfway down my forearms ...but then I still can't button the neck because it's too tight. Ugh.

Pants are okay though, 34-32, although 31" inseam would be perfect. But that's what tailors are for.
Jeez

I'm 5'9, 200lbs with a 46" chest and very broad shoulders. Glad to be in 33" waist pants again though, I felt like **** when I had to buy 36" ones in December. Thank god for being single I guess!

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
  #272
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Very broad shoulders sounds like an understatement when the math is shown.

GopherState is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 04:25 PM
  #273
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
lol.

I'm glad this got moved...

It's very difficult to find **** that fits, both top and bottom.

I have a 19 neck, but a 19 neck has sleeves that are too long.

There used to be a store named Structure that had clothes that fit me AND looked good with good quality. I'm actually wearing a shirt that I got in 1997 from Structure. It still fits and was generic enough to still be considered in style.

I swear it may have been mis-made though. It's probably a 19.5" neck with 18" sleeves.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
  #274
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
lol.

I'm glad this got moved...

It's very difficult to find **** that fits, both top and bottom.

I have a 19 neck, but a 19 neck has sleeves that are too long.

There used to be a store named Structure that had clothes that fit me AND looked good with good quality. I'm actually wearing a shirt that I got in 1997 from Structure. It still fits and was generic enough to still be considered in style.

I swear it may have been mis-made though. It's probably a 19.5" neck with 18" sleeves.
If you didn't know, Express bought Structure to be their men's side and make a lot of the same clothes.

GopherState is offline  
Old
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
  #275
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Yeah, I knew that. The clothes changed, though.

Structure was always owned by another chain. Their clothes were just different. Now, I shop mostly at Khols for shirts and online for pants.

And yes, I do realize that I am somewhat oddly shaped.


bozak911 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.