HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

Old
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
People need to just cut Mitchell out of the picture until he is healthy and cleared to play...

Until that time comes..... look past him.
I'm sure Gillis is doing the same. There is no way he is mocking up lineups with a guy that still isn't even skating by last report.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 500
Quick conspiracy question, why were the OB dollars released but not for the other three?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
LostMyGlasses*

For those defending O'Brien, what would he have to do to warrant not be qualified? Of course, other than running his mouth off to media too often, being out of shape-mid season, been in public yelling matches with the coaching staff, being a public drunk....

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
ZombieMatt

Sad times. Any prospect that SOB might be a Canuck ever again is emotionally crippling.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
For those defending O'Brien, what would he have to do to warrant not be qualified? Of course, other than running his mouth off to media too often, being out of shape-mid season, been in public yelling matches with the coaching staff, being a public drunk....
The Canucks would have to be better off without him in the lineup. They're not. O'Brien stays.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Quick conspiracy question, why were the OB dollars released but not for the other three?
Not really a mystery since QO's are just a factor of what the player made last year. (1.0x, 1.05x, 1.1x)

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

What's wrong with SOB? He's not terrible. I also believe he actually tries really hard. He's not a Bieksa or an Alberts. He does need someone to babysit him though. With Bieksa gone (touch wood) we'll have 4 solid defensemen who can play with SOB and actually make him look good.

06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
People need to just cut Mitchell out of the picture until he is healthy and cleared to play...

Until that time comes..... look past him.
yeah, dont think we can afford all that on D anyway

Edler - Ehrhoff
Salo - Hamhuis
Ballard - Mitchell
Alberts

= $7M or so on the 3rd pairing

right now, assuming we move Bieksa it's looking like:

Ballard - Ehrhoff
Edler - Salo
SOB - Rome
Alberts

I'd be surprised if we could add a Hamhuis or one of those other $4M UFAs (I think we're fooling ourselves if we think they'll come cheaper)

That may be it ... unless some mid-tier guy bumps Rome from the 3rd pairing, like Jurcina.

With the top 4 above -- that's $14M ..can we afford to spend much more than SOB/Alberts/Rome on the bottom pair?

Unless we're talking about another trade, on top of the Bieksa trade....but that's could only mean Erhoff or Edler...

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Yes we can, we have 6-7mil in cap space still. Even if we sign Hamhuis at 5mil thats still 1-2mil to sign 2 more forwards that will probably end up being Hodgson + Schroeder/Shirokov whoever...

Get rid of Bieksa we have 5.5 mil to sign 2 more forwards.

We have a ton of capspace really.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:30 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Not liking how soft our D becomes if we trade Bieksa, as rumored, and let SOB walk away for nothing. The whole point was to add more sandpaper and toughness to the lineup and not qualifying SOB goes against that theory.

Once again, total bullpucks from the gurus at team 1040.
Why are people so obsessed with how "soft" we are? The Canucks didn't lose because they were soft, they lost because they were easy to play against. Also, wouldn't the addition of Ballard serve to improve that situation, somewhat?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:31 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Also, wouldn't the addition of Ballard serve to improve that situation, somewhat?
somewhat

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:36 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
What's wrong with SOB? He's not terrible. I also believe he actually tries really hard. He's not a Bieksa or an Alberts. He does need someone to babysit him though. With Bieksa gone (touch wood) we'll have 4 solid defensemen who can play with SOB and actually make him look good.
His attitude is what's wrong with him. I'd like Wetcoaster to post all of his ''problems'' since he's been here in one awsome long post. Then those of us that have seen him drunk and hitting on 18 year olds can add that sort of stuff as well.

For a decent player he sure gets healthy scratched quite often don't you think? his conditioning comes into question far too often doesn't it? he's going at it with coaches a little too much as well.

A number 6 d-man shouldn't get all this attention and he should want to get in better shape so he can move up and improve.

The sense I get from O'Brien is that he loves the NHL lifestyle and the little bit of fame he has and the money. And his ego is too big to deal will for a depth player. How many times does this team need to try to get him into shape(physical and mental) before the give up on him? He's been a headache since day 1, and he is EASY to replace.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
if the Canucks were looking to reduce his salary wouldn't they have qualified him at a lesser amount?
He had to be qualified at 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
Yeah, that's a good point; it wouldn't surprise me to see Gillis go that route. Though, that isn't an option if he signs the QO is it?
I think the team can elect for arbitration before he can accept his QO. Might be wrong on that though and I don't have time to look right now. Someone (Wetcoaster?) can correct me if I'm wrong.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Yes we can, we have 6-7mil in cap space still. Even if we sign Hamhuis at 5mil thats still 1-2mil to sign 2 more forwards that will probably end up being Hodgson + Schroeder/Shirokov whoever...

Get rid of Bieksa we have 5.5 mil to sign 2 more forwards.

We have a ton of capspace really.
If we can assume Raymond is approximately $3.2 million and O'Brien gets in the ballpark of $1.6 million, I don't see us having a "ton" of cap space unless Bieksa is moved (big if).

With those two signed, it leaves us with about $5.5 million to play with... and with both Hansen and Glass receiving qualifying offers as well, I see us having about $4 million to play with to add another top 4 defender. If either Hodgson or Schroeder make the team, it might be even worse. I don't think $4 million is enough to get guys like Martin, Hamhuis, or Volchenkov unless we're talking about signing them to long term contracts.

Without trading Bieksa, I think we're looking at the Toni Lydman's and the Shoane Morisson's of the world... Michalaek if we're pushing it.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Johnny Canuck

Whats wrong with hitting on 18 year olds? they are fair game. Also why is this even in the discussion. Last year if you look at the good and the bad, I feel SOB is more then welcome to have a role on the Canucks. He plays a steady game, he can step into top 4 when asked. If anything his off ice issues, go against his cause of getting payed more, which is a plus for Vancouver.

1.6, for a dman of his caliber is a good deal.

Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
west in the east

Thats why its likely that Bieksa is moved

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCiarniello View Post
O'Brien and Hamhuis in, Bieksa out.

Edler - Ehrhoff
Salo - Hamhuis
Ballard - O'Brien
Alberts

I'd be happy.
Rome is much better than Alberts. MUCH better.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
If we can assume Raymond is approximately $3.2 million and O'Brien gets in the ballpark of $1.6 million, I don't see us having a "ton" of cap space unless Bieksa is moved (big if).

With those two signed, it leaves us with about $5.5 million to play with... and with both Hansen and Glass receiving qualifying offers as well, I see us having about $4 million to play with to add another top 4 defender. If either Hodgson or Schroeder make the team, it might be even worse. I don't think $4 million is enough to get guys like Martin, Hamhuis, or Volchenkov unless we're talking about signing them to long term contracts.

Without trading Bieksa, I think we're looking at the Toni Lydman's and the Shoane Morisson's of the world... Michalaek if we're pushing it.
If we are bring in another dman, I dont see how theres room for Bieksa anyways. Maybe we can dump him for draft picks?

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by west in the east View Post
Thats why its likely that Bieksa is moved
Maybe. But maybe not. There's still a very good chance that Gillis keeps Bieksa. And if that happens, I really don't see us throwing out huge money offers at some UFA d-men.

Gillis has already publicly stated that he's still looking for a shutdown forward.

We'll see very soon I guess.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
His attitude is what's wrong with him. I'd like Wetcoaster to post all of his ''problems'' since he's been here in one awsome long post. Then those of us that have seen him drunk and hitting on 18 year olds can add that sort of stuff as well.
Let's be reality here. It's everyone's dream to get some sweet 18 year old lovin' and hats off to those who are actually able to achieve that. Don't be jealous.

We're all humans. There's tons of pics floating around the Internet with other NHL players partying and smoking and messing around with random chicks. Even during the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
The sense I get from O'Brien is that he loves the NHL lifestyle and the little bit of fame he has and the money. And his ego is too big to deal will for a depth player.
Agreed there. He was saying all the right things at the end of last season though, so there might be some kind of "growing up to be a pro at least during the season" process going there.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Quote:
Maybe. But maybe not. There's still a very good chance that Gillis keeps Bieksa. And if that happens, I really don't see us throwing out huge money offers at some UFA d-men.

Gillis has already publicly stated that he's still looking for a shutdown forward.

We'll see very soon I guess.
This is how Pronger works, he gets traded to a team, signs big contract, loses in cup finals, than get traded to a new team and wins the cup with them.

Get Pronger.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:

He also said he still wants to improve the D

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
He also said he still wants to improve the D
Agreed. All I'm saying is that there isn't a 'massive' amount of room of a top 4 guy.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Probably impregnating someone's wife.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Probably impregnating someone's wife.
Obrien is a loose cannon, but the guy has some upside. He can possibly honed into being our 6th dman for years to come. Hes got heart, Ill give him that, he does seem to step in the playoffs.

I wont forget his effort against St Louis, I want that Obrien on this team.