HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

Old
06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think the team can elect for arbitration before he can accept his QO. Might be wrong on that though and I don't have time to look right now. Someone (Wetcoaster?) can correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes that can happen. QO's have an automatic expiry date of 15 July but that can be extended at the sole discretion of the Club. Also a QO cannot be accepted by the player until 1 July:

Player arbitration elections must be made by 5 July @ 5pm New York time and if a player has not accepted the QO nor elected arbitration, the Club can than elect.

The club has a short window to elect if a player has not elected arbitration nor accepted the QO - commencing July 5 at 5:00 p.m. New York time and ending July 6 at 5:00 p.m. New York time.

Also a team can elect arbitration in lieu of tendering a QO if the player made over $1.5 million. CBA 12.3 (a)
Quote:
If a Player who is otherwise eligible to receive a Qualifying Offer and become a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent had a Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus Signing, Roster and Reporting Bonuses in excess of $1,500,000 in the aggregate in the final League Year of his most recent SPC, a Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary for the upcoming League Year in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer to such Player.
There is a special time limit for this election in lieu of a QO - "not later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals in the League Year prior to the League Year for which the Club seeks to determine a Player's Paragraph 1 Salary by arbitration."

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
Obrien is a loose cannon, but the guy has some upside. He can possibly honed into being our 6th dman for years to come. Hes got heart, Ill give him that, he does seem to step in the playoffs.

I wont forget his effort against St Louis, I want that Obrien on this team.
SOB is not really a loose cannon. Loose cannon's actually do damage. He's more of a loose rooster. Just going around, making all kinds of noise, beaking off, annoying the hell out of everyone, irritating the neighbours, all talk but no action, except for mounting the occasional plump hen.

If SOB was a loose cannon I'd be a much bigger fan.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

In a Canuck uniform Shane O'Brien has taken 57 minor penalties and drawn 9 according to 'behind the net'. I don't think you'll find a player in the NHL with a worse ratio than that. IMO you just can't have those types of numbers from your bottom pairing defensemen or 4th line forwards. Does O'Brien bring enough 'toughness' or solid defensive play to look past those numbers? Not likely.

Moving O'Brien and Bieksa will go a long way to reducing the times shorthanded for the Canucks. IMO that has to be as big a priority as addressing the PK itself. Elite teams often don't spend much time in the penalty box and this should be a big consideration when looking at player personnel this summer.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
In a Canuck uniform Shane O'Brien has taken 57 minor penalties and drawn 9 according to 'behind the net'. I don't think you'll find a player in the NHL with a worse ratio than that. IMO you just can't have those types of numbers from your bottom pairing defensemen or 4th line forwards. Does O'Brien bring enough 'toughness' or solid defensive play to look past those numbers? Not likely.

Moving O'Brien and Bieksa will go a long way to reducing the times shorthanded for the Canucks. IMO that has to be as big a priority as addressing the PK itself. Elite teams often don't spend much time in the penalty box and this should be a big consideration when looking at player personnel this summer.
Bieksa can go, I dont give a **** about him. I think we gotta give Obrien a longer shot. Hes gotta be on a short leash before we bury him in manitoba

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
SOB is not really a loose cannon. Loose cannon's actually do damage. He's more of a loose rooster. Just going around, making all kinds of noise, beaking off, annoying the hell out of everyone, irritating the neighbours, all talk but no action, except for mounting the occasional plump hen.

If SOB was a loose cannon I'd be a much bigger fan.
I always thought of O'Brien as more of a loose meat sandwich.

It really is quite mind-boggling how O'Brien has been given credit for being a 'mean SOB' when he's a complete puppy dog out on the ice. How many times this last season did he stick up for a teammate or start a ruckus when the team was being blown out? Did he even do it once?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

vCash: 50
http://www.teamradio.ca/news/story/i...medium=twitter

"Globe and Mail: Raymond gets $708,000 RFA Offer"

"The others receiving qualifying offers include defenceman Shane O’Brien ($1.6 million), and wingers Jannik Hansen ($605,000) and Tanner Glass ($550,000). All have arbitration rights."

wow. Raymond wont be happy about that.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
pitseleh

Why not? Teams always send out the minimum when qualifying players. That's not what they are offering him in negotiations.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Why not? Teams always send out the minimum when qualifying players. That's not what they are offering him in negotiations.
I know, but it seems a bit insulting.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

!... everyone's talking about OB's off ice activities as if there's isn't another 100 other NHLers doing the same thing, just a bit less obvious. If you're going to tell me that all these rich, 20-something guys who have a bit of notoriety aren't going out and taking advantage of that, you're trippin' balls. OB just rolls with his heart on his sleeve and opens his mouth a bit much.

And if immaturity is OB's biggest problem, time should simply solve it, right? He made gigantic strides this last year; if he has the same progression as last year he'll be an excellent 5th - 6th dman and probably deserving of a 4th spot on some other teams. I'd hate to see him go and this is coming from someone who hated him before.... ...he proved a lot last season IMO.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

"The others receiving qualifying offers include defenceman Shane O’Brien ($1.6 million), and wingers Jannik Hansen ($605,000) and Tanner Glass ($550,000). All have arbitration rights."

This is just a paper work thing. I think both sides know Raymond will not accept the QO and they will have to work out a new deal.

Hansen also, might be looking for a bit more. Glass...meh.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
I always thought of O'Brien as more of a loose meat sandwich.

It really is quite mind-boggling how O'Brien has been given credit for being a 'mean SOB' when he's a complete puppy dog out on the ice. How many times this last season did he stick up for a teammate or start a ruckus when the team was being blown out? Did he even do it once?
In his defense, the guys he outweighs by 50 pounds aren't usually running Luongo or roughing up the Sedins. But the gauntlet has been thrown; if you are a buck eighty and try to stir something up, you better not do it when SOB is on the prowl or he might engage you in a physical altercation where no damage is done but he celebrates like a drunk pervert at mardi gras.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
I think Raymond is smart enough to understand that it was purely a paperwork offer to buy them more time until July 1st. Of course, I can't eliminate the possibility that he is in fact a drooling idiot and he does view this as an insult. I think I'll assume he's OK with it though.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
!... everyone's talking about OB's off ice activities as if there's isn't another 100 other NHLers doing the same thing, just a bit less obvious. If you're going to tell me that all these rich, 20-something guys who have a bit of notoriety aren't going out and taking advantage of that, you're trippin' balls. OB just rolls with his heart on his sleeve and opens his mouth a bit much.

And if immaturity is OB's biggest problem, time should simply solve it, right? He made gigantic strides this last year; if he has the same progression as last year he'll be an excellent 5th - 6th dman and probably deserving of a 4th spot on some other teams. I'd hate to see him go and this is coming from someone who hated him before.... ...he proved a lot last season IMO.
I'd like to qualify him and keep him as depth in case we don't get Mitchell back or a tough UFA, but aside from that, at least I'd like him to be traded for some kind of asset. I think he's got some value and isn't bad as a bottom pairing guy, but if Hockey Widow's comments are accurate, the players are the ones who are tired of his antics (though she also said he's popular and they like him). But he is 27, so it's not like he's a kid who's still growing up. Even if there's still some excuse for him being a bit young, not so if you're trying to build a team around character. Otherwise it creates a hypocrisy of you holding the team to high character standards but tolerating a guy who refuses to go along with it.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
It is a mechanical process.

All QO's do is preserve the right of the team to compensation if the player receives an offer sheet.

They mean no more than that.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 06-28-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Didn't Matt Cooke freak out one year and threaten to find a way out of his contract when the team qualified him instead of offering him a multi-year? I can't remember but I swear he did something like that. Somebody must remember.

Anyways, I think Raymond understands it's just business.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Didn't Matt Cooke freak out one year and threaten to find a way out of his contract when the team qualified him instead of offering him a multi-year? I can't remember but I swear he did something like that. Somebody must remember.

Anyways, I think Raymond understands it's just business.
He held out for a long term deal coming out of the lockout, didn't re-sign until mid-September.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
He held out for a long term deal coming out of the lockout, didn't re-sign until mid-September.
Yeah that's right. And I remember him spouting off saying his QO didn't get to him before the deadline and he was going to try and become a UFA because of it. I'm not imagining that part of it am I? I remember it was one of the many reasons I disliked him.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:05 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:

If Hansen, Glass and SOB wanna stay on the team they will need to take the offers and sign one year deals, Not one of these players is worth anymore at one year. If they want longer terms then they might get a slight raise. If they want more money they will price themselves off the team and either end up getting traded or sent to the Moose so the Nucks can stay under the cap

As for Raymond, He knows the Canucks have to send him a QO or lose him. They have the rest of the summer now to hammer out a deal or trade him.

The players on the Canucks love SOB, They say he is great in the locker room and has the best After win dance. I see SOB as a 5 or 6th D-men on this team and he does play well with Ehrhoff.

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
alternate

Can any of Rome, Alberts or SOB play the right side? If not, pretty tough having all 3 on this roster.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
If Hansen, Glass and SOB wanna stay on the team they will need to take the offers and sign one year deals, Not one of these players is worth anymore at one year. If they want longer terms then they might get a slight raise. If they want more money they will price themselves off the team and either end up getting traded or sent to the Moose so the Nucks can stay under the cap

As for Raymond, He knows the Canucks have to send him a QO or lose him. They have the rest of the summer now to hammer out a deal or trade him.

The players on the Canucks love SOB, They say he is great in the locker room and has the best After win dance. I see SOB as a 5 or 6th D-men on this team and he does play well with Ehrhoff.

Kesler says hi

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Who do the players dislike the most on the team?

Old
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Who do the players dislike the most on the team?
Mathieu Schneider

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Yeah that's right. And I remember him spouting off saying his QO didn't get to him before the deadline and he was going to try and become a UFA because of it. I'm not imagining that part of it am I? I remember it was one of the many reasons I disliked him.
I dont remember any of that.. I do remember him busting his hump for years at a minimal wage before finally getting his pay raise. I remember him being a fan favorite because of his great work ethic on the ice night in, night out.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:26 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb View Post
I dont remember any of that.. I do remember him busting his hump for years at a minimal wage before finally getting his pay raise. I remember him being a fan favorite because of his great work ethic on the ice night in, night out.
Really? I remember him being a little rat on the ice.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Mathieu Schneider
considering he's not on the team, my vote would be for alberts

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote