HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
so how long until people turn on Staal like they did Dubi last summer?
Now that we've heard Sather is offering him 3.5million dollars over 4 years... About 20minutes ago...

Old
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
frankthefrowner

So if Sather is offering 3.5 and there is a Chasm, he's probably not looking for 4million... is he looking for 5-6???? Has bobby taken up acid since his playing days???

Old
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I don't see how there could be a "chasm" if they've offered him that figure. Someone is off base here. $3.5million dollars for Staal is very fair. Mind you this kid is no offensive powerhouse, and statistics are what bring the money. Look at Anton Volchenkov. Not that fair of a comparison, but a defensive-minded player who's finally about to cash in for probably around $5mil per year, as a UFA though. Big difference.

Something doesn't make sense. Staal should take $3.5 and run, because even if a team does pony up an offer sheet, it won't be much more than that. Him and Bobby are making themselves look bad.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

4 years just seems like the wrong length. Why give him a contract that takes him right to UFA?

This offer seems too good to be true for Staal. A second contract that pays him 14mil and takes him right to UFA at the prime age of 27!

This should be a no-brainer for Staal!

Old
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
4 years just seems like the wrong length. Why give him a contract that takes him right to UFA?

This offer seems too good to be true for Staal. A second contract that pays him 14mil and takes him right to UFA at the prime age of 27!

This should be a no-brainer for Staal!
5 years gives him UFA, 4 keeps him RFA.

the latest:

RangersTribune

RT @BlueSeatBlogs: @RangersTribune Sather wants a 4 yr deal because Staal will still be RFA when it expires. He wants 5 to be a UFA (age 27)

Old
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
5 years gives him UFA, 4 keeps him RFA.

the latest:

RangersTribune

RT @BlueSeatBlogs: @RangersTribune Sather wants a 4 yr deal because Staal will still be RFA when it expires. He wants 5 to be a UFA (age 27)
That's wrong. Staal has been in the NHL 3 years. 7 years to reach UFA.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

Quote:
For (A) the 2005-06 League Year, any Player who is 31 years of age or older and has four (4) Accrued Seasons as of June 30 of the end of the 2004-05 League Year, (B) the 2006-07 League Year, any Player who either has eight (8) Accrued Seasons or is 29 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2005-06 League Year, (C) the 2007-08 League Year, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 28 Years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2006-07 League Year, and (D) the 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 League Years, any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of the applicable League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent.
Unless they change it in the next CBA, he will be UFA in 2014.

Last edited by GAGLine: 06-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
ecemleafs

how would he be a RFA after 4 year contract? i thought 7 years of service made u an UFA.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Why would one of the best shut down defense men in the NHL, whom is only 23 years of age w/ his offensive game coming around, can log 25+ minutes against the opposing teams top players in an effective manner, etc, not attract an offer sheet? Like I said, he's not a 40-point center like Brandon Dubinsky whom didn't receive an offer sheet. He's one of the best up and coming shut down defense men in the NHL. Big difference. I'd honestly be shocked if he didn't receive an offer sheet.

He has a lot more leverage than Dubinsky in the same situation.

This comes down to Sather not knowing how to manage contracts and his star talent. Nothing more. You can argue he is just trying to do his "job" but he wouldn't have to do this to players like Staal if he invested in his team more rationally. It comes down to mismanagement as a GM not knowing how to handle his star talent. Staal is worth $3 - $4 million.

Don't you think he should have thought of Staal as a RFA when he signed Redden to $6.5 million and Rozi to $5 million? Good GM's foresee these things playing out in the future and plan their contracts around when key players come off the books IF they desire to resign them. They don't put their team in a stale mate and struggle to sign youthful stars because they mismanaged other contracts on their team.

This is so off bases it's insane. The people who are commenting like this and going nutso on Staal's behalf know absolutely NOTHING about restricted free agency and prove it every time they post.

We get it. You guys like him. He's our best defender. Redden shouldn't make so much.

Nothing you can say changes reality and how these situations work.

News flash: life is not fair. Neither is the CBA and crap like this for RFA's.

But this is necessary and appropriate. And Staal should have no beef.

It's proper negotiatiating from both sides and it will get worked out.

If you really think some team is going to be dumb enough to offer him a sheet for 3.5-4 million then you know absolutely NOTHING about RFA's and nothing about how GM's feel about this sort of thing. And if a GM did he would rue the day.

Get over it. He'll be here next year and he'll be here for the price the team decides, while at the same time knowing he's their guy and in a few years he's going to cash out.

End of story.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:36 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Cīmon Marc, re-sign!!!

Old
06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That's wrong. Staal has been in the NHL 3 years. 7 years to reach UFA.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

Unless they change it in the next CBA, he will be UFA in 2014.
Yea not sure but between the rumor of a 4 year deal offerred and now this rumor that it will take a 5 year contract to reach UFA maybe we should stop trusting a few itnernet sources on this negotiation in particular.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Levitate

Honestly as much as I dislike him, I do generally believe Brooks gets good intel on things like this. He seems to have a source. Maybe numbers aren't exact, etc, but this is one of the things I'd give him credit for

Old
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Anyone else have the feeling that once Marc puts in his 7 years here, he's off to sign with one of his brothers? Hence why he wants to go right to UFA.

I can't blame him, if I had brothers in the NHL I'd want to play with them too. Not to mention two of his brothers have rings now and I'm sure he gets some ribbing in the summer.

Just a feeling I get. And if it comes down to that, 7 years is a long stay with one team these days. But if we can keep him longer, let's get it done.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:19 AM
NikC

How about this, if Marc doesn't want to play here then let's package him and get someone in here who does. He has done nothing here to warrant any "payday".

This shouldn't even be an issue with him. He was given a fair deal, his agent works for him. Accept the offer and play for the club that drafted you.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
The New Originals

Imagine how much worse our defense would be without Staal.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Imagine how much worse our defense would be without Staal.
I don't even want to think about that.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Anyone else have the feeling that once Marc puts in his 7 years here, he's off to sign with one of his brothers? Hence why he wants to go right to UFA.

I can't blame him, if I had brothers in the NHL I'd want to play with them too. Not to mention two of his brothers have rings now and I'm sure he gets some ribbing in the summer.

Just a feeling I get. And if it comes down to that, 7 years is a long stay with one team these days. But if we can keep him longer, let's get it done.
I thought I saw some reaching in this and the mcdonagh thread, but this is up there.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
How about this, if Marc doesn't want to play here then let's package him and get someone in here who does. He has done nothing here to warrant any "payday".

This shouldn't even be an issue with him. He was given a fair deal, his agent works for him. Accept the offer and play for the club that drafted you.
No need to ship him off. He has no arbitration rights. The Rangers will wait until Staal budges, and quite frankly I have no problem with that. Staal has been my favorite Ranger over the last couple of seasons, I trust Sather that he won't lose him. He'll wait this out just like he did with Dubinsky.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
No need to ship him off. He has no arbitration rights. The Rangers will wait until Staal budges, and quite frankly I have no problem with that. Staal has been my favorite Ranger over the last couple of seasons, I trust Sather that he won't lose him. He'll wait this out just like he did with Dubinsky.
i agree, i'm just getting angry that if this lingers on, it could affect what we can spend on additional free agents. It would be wrong if he hurt the team's ability to improve at his expense.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I thought I saw some reaching in this and the mcdonagh thread, but this is up there.
If you had a brother in the NHL, you wouldn't want to play with him at some point? There's no law saying you have to be eternally loyal to the team that drafted you. The Staal brothers are, by all accounts, very close. I could definitely see it being their long-term goal.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i agree, i'm just getting angry that if this lingers on, it could affect what we can spend on additional free agents. It would be wrong if he hurt the team's ability to improve at his expense.
Fair enough. I too would be incredibly pissed off if Staal prevented us from signing Kovalchuk. All we can do is hope a deal gets down soon and it expires when he is a RFA so we can lock him up LT. I would be devastated if we lose this guy, he's our #1 guy now and in the future.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
If you had a brother in the NHL, you wouldn't want to play with him at some point? There's no law saying you have to be eternally loyal to the team that drafted you. The Staal brothers are, by all accounts, very close. I could definitely see it being their long-term goal.
I didnt say they wouldnt love to play together eventually, but to say you think the reason he's not signing is because of something that may or may not happen in 4 years (who knows what the cap/team situations will be for jordan/eric by then) is a bit of a reach.

I think everybody just needs to calm down here. It's the Ranger Arrogance that everybody should be falling over themselves to get deals done here, but its quite frankly just not the case in any sport, on any team.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I didn't mean thats why he's not signing. But that could be a reason why he asked for a contract that took him to UFA instead of RFA. Not to say he is looking to get out as soon as possible, or doesn't like playing here, just saying it could be something on his mind.

I'm sure theres a lot of factors, and its still early. I'm not too concerned yet. If he still isn't signed a month from now, I'll start to worry.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Fair enough. I too would be incredibly pissed off if Staal prevented us from signing Kovalchuk. All we can do is hope a deal gets down soon and it expires when he is a RFA so we can lock him up LT. I would be devastated if we lose this guy, he's our #1 guy now and in the future.
If you want Kovalchuk, you probably don't want Staal signed soon. We could easily sign Kovalchuk on Thursday with our current cap situation. However, due to summer overage, we can't sign Kovalchuk, Staal, Girardi, Shelley, Prust, etc. without making some additional move.

However, so long as Girardi or Staal aren't signed until later in the offseason, it gives us more time to get under the cap. The risk of course, is an offer sheet. If Girardi or Staal doesn't sign until training camp, when Redden can be sent to Hartford, there would never be a summer overage problem. Obviously, this isn't something to root for, but keep it in mind when you get all up in arms that Staal/Girardi aren't signed yet.

As things stand with Staal and Girardi only counting for ~2m combined rather than ~7m (due to only their qualifying offers counting against the cap overage until they sign their new deals), Sather can make a bona fide attempt at Kovalchuk on Thursday, and if he can sign him, then get cap compliant before signing Staal or Girardi.

If he can't sign Kovalchuk (or whatever move he's making) then he can easily fit Staal and Girardi without any problems.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Dubinsky redoux, it was called a long time ago. I hope Staal doesn't drag it out too long, he's got no leverage. Just sign, get to camp, and make your bucks when your time comes.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Here's a fun one for you guys to play with - just roll with me; this is purely imaginatiive conjecture - what if Staal and Sather have agreed on a nice deal in the neighborhood of 3.5M but Sather said to Staal "Marc, you're our rock on defense and we don't want you going anywhere for a long time. We're going to sign the deal we agreed upon, you have my guarantee, but we're gonna sign it around the end of camp to give us room to improve the roster over the summer. You have my word." And then he fed out this story about the negotiations to throw everyone off the scent that he's going after Kovy hard. He gets Kovy signed, Redden gets dumped in camp and a day or two after Redden is demoted Staal 'agrees' to a nice 2-3 year deal with the promise of an even better payday when Dru, Rozy and Avery are off the books.

/end fantasy

Closed Thread