HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

phaneuf

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2003, 10:17 PM
  #1
LeServ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Le Island
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
phaneuf

I was up in Saskatoon and saw Phaneuf on Sunday for the first time. Wow. I'd heard about his hitting, but I didn't realize he had that much of an offensive game. Great shot. Loves to take the onetime left-handed shot from the right side. Nailed two of them. Carries the puck up ice. Can pretty much do it all. He already looks like a pro. I also made it up to Prince Albert. Great little rink. Like a temple of hockey. Dave Manson is an assistant coach. Maybe next time I can get to Tri-City to check out Jonasen.

LeServ is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 10:48 PM
  #2
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
dont remind me..............

Edge is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:41 AM
  #3
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Would it really have cost that much to move up to the 7th-9th pick? This guy seems like a sure bet impact d-man. Jessman seems more like high risk-high reward

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:04 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Would it really have cost that much to move up to the 7th-9th pick? This guy seems like a sure bet impact d-man. Jessman seems more like high risk-high reward
What were you really willing to give up?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:18 AM
  #5
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Would it really have cost that much to move up to the 7th-9th pick? This guy seems like a sure bet impact d-man. Jessman seems more like high risk-high reward
Yes. Calgary wanted him as much as we did. They wouldn't have traded it to us knowing we would only move up to draft him.

Either way, we weren't and still aren't in any position to be dealing quantity.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:26 AM
  #6
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick? I would have given up a second and 5th next year. To move up 4 or 5 slots a team would probably do it assuming they hadnt set there sights on one specific player. It would be worth it to us because we would have gotten a d-man that is a sure bet to be an impact player. If you watched Blue Shirt show then you would know what they thought of Phaneuf. I really hope Jessman turns into and excellent player otherwise we'll be kicking ourselves for years. Look at Philly... They felt Pitkanen would be an impact d-man so they stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:34 AM
  #7
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick? I would have given up a second and 5th next year. To move up 4 or 5 slots a team would probably do it assuming they hadnt set there sights on one specific player. It would be worth it to us because we would have gotten a d-man that is a sure bet to be an impact player. If you watched Blue Shirt show then you would know what they thought of Phaneuf. I really hope Jessman turns into and excellent player otherwise we'll be kicking ourselves for years. Look at Philly... They felt Pitkanen would be an impact d-man so they stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

So what would you have given up to move up? You still have not answered that question.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
  #8
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick?
nashville and atlanta needed a dman too...so in order to convince them to trade down and miss out on the big 3 dman (phaneuf, suter and coburn) we probably would have had to give them tjutin

the only team ahead of us that apparantly was a trade option was buffalo's pick at #5, but the sabres apparantly wanted some combo of lundmark, tjutin and lundqvist and the rangers felt the price was too high

NYR469 is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:41 AM
  #9
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick? I would have given up a second and 5th next year. To move up 4 or 5 slots a team would probably do it assuming they hadnt set there sights on one specific player. It would be worth it to us because we would have gotten a d-man that is a sure bet to be an impact player. If you watched Blue Shirt show then you would know what they thought of Phaneuf. I really hope Jessman turns into and excellent player otherwise we'll be kicking ourselves for years. Look at Philly... They felt Pitkanen would be an impact d-man so they stepped up to the plate and made it happen.
Pitkanen hasn't done anything. FYI Rangers tried to deal for that pick as well, ended up losing to Philly's bid.

It's funny how people now are going to slam the Rangers for not making a move. Giving up a second when we're already depleted is ridiculous. You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:51 AM
  #10
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Pitkanen hasn't done anything. FYI Rangers tried to deal for that pick as well, ended up losing to Philly's bid.
He turned 20 two weeks ago and has secured a spot among the Flyers top 6.

What were you expecting a Norris trophy ???

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
  #11
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.
That's one draft strategy. Not one that everyone agrees with, obviously.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
  #12
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,670
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
He turned 20 two weeks ago and has secured a spot among the Flyers top 6.

What were you expecting a Norris trophy ???
Not only that, but who'd you give up for the pick??


Like I said. Who??

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-01-2003, 09:05 AM
  #13
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Not only that, but who'd you give up for the pick??


Like I said. Who??

Fedotenko (good young 3rd/2nd line winger) & two 2nd round draft picks.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
  #14
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Pitkanen hasn't done anything. FYI Rangers tried to deal for that pick as well, ended up losing to Philly's bid.

It's funny how people now are going to slam the Rangers for not making a move. Giving up a second when we're already depleted is ridiculous. You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.
Whats your point buddy? Pitkanen and Phaneuf were the best players available in both situations. It doesnt hurt that they both just happen to fill the Rangers biggest need.

Giving up a 2nd is ridiculous? I would do it in a 2nd if I knew I was getting a sure bet impact player. This draft had some top notch talent in the 2nd. If I could given a second in the next draft I would have def done it... or a 2nd and 3rd for that matter... They could have simon too

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 10:31 AM
  #15
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
i think the real sad issue is how little depth this team has to make these moves when they should. thats the real crime.

Edge is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 10:34 AM
  #16
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Whats your point buddy? Pitkanen and Phaneuf were the best players available in both situations. It doesnt hurt that they both just happen to fill the Rangers biggest need.

Giving up a 2nd is ridiculous? I would do it in a 2nd if I knew I was getting a sure bet impact player. This draft had some top notch talent in the 2nd. If I could given a second in the next draft I would have def done it... or a 2nd and 3rd for that matter... They could have simon too
Pitkanen was THE best player available when the #4 pick came up. Phaneuf would not be if we'd trade for a higher pick but my point was it sounded like you were drafting around the teams current needs and that I didn't agree with.

Giving up a second round to move up 3 spots in the draft is yes, ridiculous. Specially when the talent is virtually the same. If anything you move down to add more in a draft like this.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 10:37 AM
  #17
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
He turned 20 two weeks ago and has secured a spot among the Flyers top 6.

What were you expecting a Norris trophy ???
No but if you read Barnaby's post you would have thought so.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:54 AM
  #18
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
No but if you read Barnaby's post you would have thought so.
What gave that impression? The fact that I said moving up to get him was a smart move? Clarke stockpiles picks and when he sees a guy he likes alot like Pitkanen, he has the tools to make the move. I would have made that deal every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Barnaby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.