HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 10:17 PM
LeServ

vCash: 500
phaneuf

I was up in Saskatoon and saw Phaneuf on Sunday for the first time. Wow. I'd heard about his hitting, but I didn't realize he had that much of an offensive game. Great shot. Loves to take the onetime left-handed shot from the right side. Nailed two of them. Carries the puck up ice. Can pretty much do it all. He already looks like a pro. I also made it up to Prince Albert. Great little rink. Like a temple of hockey. Dave Manson is an assistant coach. Maybe next time I can get to Tri-City to check out Jonasen.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Edge

dont remind me..............

Old
10-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Barnaby

Would it really have cost that much to move up to the 7th-9th pick? This guy seems like a sure bet impact d-man. Jessman seems more like high risk-high reward

Old
10-01-2003, 08:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Would it really have cost that much to move up to the 7th-9th pick? This guy seems like a sure bet impact d-man. Jessman seems more like high risk-high reward
What were you really willing to give up?

10-01-2003, 08:18 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Yes. Calgary wanted him as much as we did. They wouldn't have traded it to us knowing we would only move up to draft him.

Either way, we weren't and still aren't in any position to be dealing quantity.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:26 AM
Barnaby

Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick? I would have given up a second and 5th next year. To move up 4 or 5 slots a team would probably do it assuming they hadnt set there sights on one specific player. It would be worth it to us because we would have gotten a d-man that is a sure bet to be an impact player. If you watched Blue Shirt show then you would know what they thought of Phaneuf. I really hope Jessman turns into and excellent player otherwise we'll be kicking ourselves for years. Look at Philly... They felt Pitkanen would be an impact d-man so they stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick? I would have given up a second and 5th next year. To move up 4 or 5 slots a team would probably do it assuming they hadnt set there sights on one specific player. It would be worth it to us because we would have gotten a d-man that is a sure bet to be an impact player. If you watched Blue Shirt show then you would know what they thought of Phaneuf. I really hope Jessman turns into and excellent player otherwise we'll be kicking ourselves for years. Look at Philly... They felt Pitkanen would be an impact d-man so they stepped up to the plate and made it happen.

So what would you have given up to move up? You still have not answered that question.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Calgary may not have dealt it but what about the 7th or 8th pick?
nashville and atlanta needed a dman too...so in order to convince them to trade down and miss out on the big 3 dman (phaneuf, suter and coburn) we probably would have had to give them tjutin

the only team ahead of us that apparantly was a trade option was buffalo's pick at #5, but the sabres apparantly wanted some combo of lundmark, tjutin and lundqvist and the rangers felt the price was too high

Old
10-01-2003, 08:41 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Pitkanen hasn't done anything. FYI Rangers tried to deal for that pick as well, ended up losing to Philly's bid.

It's funny how people now are going to slam the Rangers for not making a move. Giving up a second when we're already depleted is ridiculous. You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:51 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Pitkanen hasn't done anything. FYI Rangers tried to deal for that pick as well, ended up losing to Philly's bid.
He turned 20 two weeks ago and has secured a spot among the Flyers top 6.

What were you expecting a Norris trophy ???

Old
10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.
That's one draft strategy. Not one that everyone agrees with, obviously.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:02 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Not only that, but who'd you give up for the pick??

Like I said. Who??

Old
10-01-2003, 09:05 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Not only that, but who'd you give up for the pick??

Like I said. Who??

Fedotenko (good young 3rd/2nd line winger) & two 2nd round draft picks.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Barnaby

Quote:

It's funny how people now are going to slam the Rangers for not making a move. Giving up a second when we're already depleted is ridiculous. You don't draft in the first round because of your teams needs you draft because they're the best player available.
Whats your point buddy? Pitkanen and Phaneuf were the best players available in both situations. It doesnt hurt that they both just happen to fill the Rangers biggest need.

Giving up a 2nd is ridiculous? I would do it in a 2nd if I knew I was getting a sure bet impact player. This draft had some top notch talent in the 2nd. If I could given a second in the next draft I would have def done it... or a 2nd and 3rd for that matter... They could have simon too

Old
10-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Edge

i think the real sad issue is how little depth this team has to make these moves when they should. thats the real crime.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:34 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Whats your point buddy? Pitkanen and Phaneuf were the best players available in both situations. It doesnt hurt that they both just happen to fill the Rangers biggest need.

Giving up a 2nd is ridiculous? I would do it in a 2nd if I knew I was getting a sure bet impact player. This draft had some top notch talent in the 2nd. If I could given a second in the next draft I would have def done it... or a 2nd and 3rd for that matter... They could have simon too
Pitkanen was THE best player available when the #4 pick came up. Phaneuf would not be if we'd trade for a higher pick but my point was it sounded like you were drafting around the teams current needs and that I didn't agree with.

Giving up a second round to move up 3 spots in the draft is yes, ridiculous. Specially when the talent is virtually the same. If anything you move down to add more in a draft like this.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:37 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

No but if you read Barnaby's post you would have thought so.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
No but if you read Barnaby's post you would have thought so.
What gave that impression? The fact that I said moving up to get him was a smart move? Clarke stockpiles picks and when he sees a guy he likes alot like Pitkanen, he has the tools to make the move. I would have made that deal every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Closed Thread