HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers given permission to talk to Turco

Old
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Turco has won less playoff series than Leighton, hasnt he?
Turco also has three shut outs in one series too. He lost that series, just to give you an idea of how much help the Stars were giving him some of these years.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Turco has won less playoff series than Leighton, hasnt he?
Leighton- 1
Turco- 3 (plus the series he lost with 3 shutout wins)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Do you think, even after July 1st, that we have a chance to sign either Turco or Nabby?
The Flyers will get one of Mason, Turco and Nabokov. I just hope its not Mason... He's only a year younger and the other 2 have been starters for longer.

edit: Reason why no one has signed yet, Holmgren is being conservative at the moment. a.k.a. Lowballing Nabby and Turco, crossing his fingers...

I dont even doubt that both want to play for this team, money aint there at the moment...

Last edited by Viller: 06-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:33 PM
mercury

Holmgren should send the goalies a prospectus that reads "THE NEW AND IMPROVED PHILADELPHIA FLYERS - NOW WITH 100% LESS REGGIE LEMELIN" on the cover.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Finally! Turco would be a great signing. The guy can play. I don't understand why everyone is so down him. If they can get Turco and a solid D-man, this team will be set. I'd also like to see a nice winger to replace Asham.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Turco also has three shut outs in one series too. He lost that series, just to give you an idea of how much help the Stars were giving him some of these years.
Didnt Checkmanek do the same thing???

I am fine with Turco, no need to convince me....He is my 2nd choice behind Ellis cause I rather have someone younger. (and cheaper)

If Turco is $3.5 I do it....any more than that, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Leighton- 1
Turco- 3 (plus the series he lost with 3 shutout wins)
Ok, I thought I saw someone say he only won one playoff series, I didnt verify it myself....

Leighton is 2...You have to give him the Boston series. He won 3 1/2 of those games.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
The Flyers will get one of Mason, Turco and Nabokov. I just hope its not Mason... He's only a year younger and the other 2 have been starters for longer.

edit: Reason why no one has signed yet, Holmgren is being conservative at the moment. a.k.a. Lowballing Nabby and Turco, crossing his fingers...

I dont even doubt that both want to play for this team, money aint there at the moment...
My choices:

1a Ellis
1b Turco (if $3.5 or less he is first choice)
Mason
Biron
Nabokov
Leighton

Old
06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Blurgh why do you want Ellis?

I am not sold on him, only started 28 games last year, we need a guy who can start 60.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

WE NEED DRYDEN

SHIP HIM IN PLEASE.

Problem solved.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
BringBackStevens

I like what Holmgren is doing here. I'm not alarmed by Nabakov and Turco taking their time, its logical for them. I'm pretty confident we land one of Nabakov, Turco, or Mason, all of whom I like

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
And you know that based on his one time in the playoffs and one season as the starting goalie???

Did you look at his playoff stats in his one appearance?

2007-08 Nashville NHL 6 2 4 - 357 15 240 2.52 .938

Factoring in age, he is my first choice of anyone available, depending on money. If Reese can make Leighton a good goalie, what can he do with someone that was already a good NHL goalie?
Did you see Leighton's playoff stats in his one appearance? In other words it means nothing to me. Like many other goalies before him he had a decent rookie season when the league wasn't familiar with him and then promptly lost his job to another rookie and hasn't been anything but average at best since then.

Who said Reese "made" Leighton a good goalie? Mediocre goalies have hot streaks all of the time. See Scott Clemmensen last year. If Reese is this magical goalie guru that can turn chicken ***** into chicken salad then how come he didn't have the same success in Tampa? Leighton had a good run in the regular season for 26 starts (about 30% of the season) and 7 starts in the playoffs before he fell apart. That's hardly a large enough sample to say Reese is a great teacher that can make anyone better.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
At $2m/year for three years (that's the contract he was reportedly offered), I'd worship him.

You can't get that kind of talent for a better price.

It's a shame he didn't sign, but let's wait to see what happens when free agency opens.
I can't blame Turco for not signing that low... 2M a year will get you a Biron/Toskala caliber starter... 2M a year for Turco is a MF'ing STEAL.

If I was Holmes, I make another offer @ 3.25M if he signs before Jul 1. 3.0M if he signs after.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Blurgh why do you want Ellis?

I am not sold on him, only started 28 games last year, we need a guy who can start 60.
There was some other guy there named Rinne

Old
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
There was some other guy there named Rinne
Yep, but he lost his job fair and square in 08-09 (.900 save percentage) and has never been a No.1 for a full season.

Last year I could understand the gamble on a guy like Anderson because the goalie market kind of sucked. This year, we don't have that excuse.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yep, but he lost his job fair and square in 08-09 (.900 save percentage) and has never been a No.1 for a full season.

Last year I could understand the gamble on a guy like Anderson because the goalie market kind of sucked. This year, we don't have that excuse.
Yes, thank you! I've been saying this about Ellis for a while. It's like everyone's subconsciously become obsessed with the cheapest, least proven option.

That's not a slam to people who want Ellis. I just feel he doesn't meet the team's needs as best as possible with this market.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously. It's easily top 5 non-Flyers games I've ever seen. That includes all levels of play.
I agree. that was exhausting to watch. If you didnt love that hockey game then you need to turn in your NHL fanclub card right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Mason does nothing for me at all. Hes Marty Biron 2.0

Nabokov(no 5 year deal)
Turco

Ellis
Mason
Leighton
Theodore

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:52 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
My choices:

1a Ellis
1b Turco (if $3.5 or less he is first choice)
Mason
Biron
Nabokov
Leighton
You are SEVERELY overrating Ellis to the point that he's some type of god. The guy has only had 3 seasons of hockey, and all behind a real good Nashville defence. He was pretty bad 2 years ago, when his sv% hit 900. Again you can thank the likes of Weber and Suter, because it would have been a lot worse. He lost his job this year, and most importantly has never shouldered a large amount of games.

The only goalies who have logged over 60 games since the lockout are:

Nabokov
Turco
Mason
Biron
Toskala

wingsarekings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
ArmchairGM

Would people be opposed to a 3 year deal worth 12.6 for Nabokov (4.2 Million Cap hit)?

Last edited by ArmchairGM: 06-28-2010 at 11:32 PM.
ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
DenverBoone

Why are we interested in this old, washed up ******? Stars want no part of him, but we do? This isn't where old once great players go to die. Child please

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Would people be opposed to a 3 year deal worth 12.6 for Nabokov (4.2 Million Cap hit)?
If he wants $4 mill, I'd have to go 2 years tops.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:50 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
If he wants $4 mill, I'd have to go 2 years tops.
Just so you know my reasoning, although if it comes down to this for Nabokov, I'm not sure I want him.

(From an earlier post)

Assuming he wants to be in a situation to win the Cup, there's only two places to sign, here, and Washington. The reason Washington didn't re-sign Huet was because they wouldn't offer him anything more then a few years because they were so confident that Varlamov would be ready soon. That's how they ended up signing Theodore to a 2 year contract. Assuming they still think Varlamov is their future starter, but isn't quite ready, means they're not going to offer more then two years for two reasons. Varlamov only has one year left on his contract contract and will be looking for a raise, hurting the Caps cap situation more, and two, he won't be wanting to be sitting behind Nabokov for more then two years max.

The Caps are therefore restrained to most likely a 2 year offer. If you take a close look at their cap situation, you see how much they can offer (Off the top of my head, probably not more then 4.5, which is what they were paying Theodore).

Again, assuming Nabokov wants to be in a winning environment, a 3 year deal around 12.6 million (Cap hit of 4.2 million) should be able to beat Washington's best offer. Assuming the parameters above, the most front loaded offer Washington could present would be 6 million and then 3 million. A 3 year deal structured like this: 6.5, 3.5 and 2.5 would beat Washington's in all regards.

Although this only works if the assumptions are correct, and if Nabokov has no preference between Philadelphia or Washington (Washington's Russian factor may be a big element).

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:56 PM
nosnhoj

well the plan is pretty clear that they want to find a GOOD goalie capable of winning a cup (both nabokov and turco are -- i'm not sold on the rest, though I'd pick mason out of the rest) who can be here for the next 3-4 years until bobo/eriksson are ready. i think it's great. all i want is one of nabokov and turco and we'll hopefully be set for quite some time in net.

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:08 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The only reason I could see for bringing in Nabokov would be as a mentor to the younger Russian players in the Flyers system. Bobrovsky I'm sure would benefit the most, but having Nabokov here might mean getting Popov and the Bodrov brother over. It might also mean attracting other Russian players who might not be drafted, but have some serious talent to come over too.

I'm not sure though signing a goaltender to a contract three years in length after they turn 35 is such a good idea though. Fact is, there are two very good and promising young goaltenders in the system and if they develop as expected, having that 35 year old for three years might block the progression of one of them. We're seeing in Boston what happens when an 35 year old goaltender signs a long term deal and a much younger goalie takes the position from him - too much money being tied into a seat on the bench. Two years, tops for Nabokov or Turco.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:26 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The only reason I could see for bringing in Nabokov would be as a mentor to the younger Russian players in the Flyers system.
Yeah I'm pretty sure him being a top 10 goalie in the league has nothing to do with it.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote