HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 UFAs to make us a contender

Old
06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
FreshFitted67

vCash: 500
2 UFAs to make us a contender

Alright, please go easy on me because this is my very first post.

It's the off-season and I'm bored out of my skull, so I thought I'd register and see what you guys think of my wish-list for the Avs. I've been a fan since 96.

I think our roster and our youth are great, but I'm worried since Sherman has said that he's not going to make any significant moves VIA Free Agency and didn't address any of our needs during the draft... if we keep the exact same roster I personally don't expect to see us in the playoffs again...

I think Galiardi is in a little over his head as a first line winger. I love his style of play and his effort and determination but he doesn't really have to skill to match other teams top lines, and I feel bad that Stastny never really has any skill to play with... I mean he's been carrying this team for a couple years now and I'm sure he must be frustrated.

That's why I'd like the Avs to pick up RAY WHITNEY to play top line LW

He's an awesome playmaker and he's good for 20goals a year.

On defence we could really use another shut down defenceman who can hit or at least play rough because guys like Liles and Cumiskey are not really cutting it...

So I think we should sign WILLIE MITCHELL as a top notch shutdown defence-man. Let's face it Adam Foote, god love him, isn't the force he once was.

I know they're both older guys, but this team is so young, we could really use a couple vets to make us legit.

Whitney has MAYBE two years left in the tank and then he will retire and his contract will come off the books and we'll have plenty of money to pay our young up and coming stars.

So here's what it would look like.
LW Whitney 2yrs@ 3Milper
D Mitchell 3yrs@3.5Milper

Whitney - Stazz - Stewart
Mueller - Duchene - Hejduk
Galiardi - O'Reilly - Jones
Winnik - Hendricks - Yip
(Koci)

Mitchell - Quincey
Hannan - Wilson
Foote - Liles

(Cumiskey)

Jones is apparently being considered for top line duties but the guy is not proven... and not as skilled as his numbers show.

If you disagree... please name 2 UFAs you'd like to sign... but please not Koval-i dont give a-chuck. That's not going to happen. It would sacrifice so much money that we will need in the future for guys like Duchene and RoR. plus he's won 1 playoff game in 10 years. hes just not a winner.

FreshFitted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:31 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Michalek and Kovy assuming the contracts are fair. My 2nd choices would be Martin and making a trade for top 6 lw that involved Liles.

P0ckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Pure

Instead of Mitchell, maybe Pavel Kubina. Instead of Whitney, Alex Frolov could be a decent signing if the price is right. None of those signings will make us a contender though since that solely depends on how well our young guys progress.

I like Kubina since he didn't have a concussion and he can actually score points as well. Hes also a right handed shot with a big slapper. Frolov is a better choice than Whitney because when he wants to, he is also solid defensively. Hes also a big body who is also a goal scorer. Hes also young enough that you can slide him next to Duchene once Hejduk retires.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
FreshFitted67

Kovy will be about 8mil per???

Is that reasonable enough to sign him?

cuz i think its too much... Personally I dont think Kovy is good for any teams chemistry. He double shifts, takes long shifts, doesnt pass, doesnt play much D, tries lots of one man rushes against the whole other team, tries lots of silly dangles and demands SOO much money.

yes he scores goals.

But I think he hurts the goal totals of a lot of his teammates.

I like the ideas of Michalek and/or Martin tho.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
FreshFitted67

Sorry if I come across very anti-kovy...
But I am.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Drij

No to Mitchell, Whitney I could see. He played well with Matt.
Eklund did say the avs where looking at Whitney.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
hughdreamz

I wouldn't want to pay Mitchell 3.5 mill and Whitney is a playmaker. We need a sniper for Stastny's line. I would like Kovalchuk, if he wasn't so damn expensive. I rather see us stick with Galiardi before spending huge money.

Two UFAs I would want:
Anton Volkenkov - 4 million for 3 years
and
no one else. I want to see the Avs resign Stewart(3 million 5 years), Mueller(1.8 million 3 years), and Quincey (1.5 million 3 years)

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
StanGetz*

Whitney has said he wants a 3 year deal. If that's really the case, I wouldn't even look his way. I know that probably makes me a d-bag, but really the man needs to be realistic.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Freaky Styley

i'd actually be quite pleased if we signed whitney and mitchell (barring contracts and mitchell's health), but i don't think any 2 UFA's this year would make us instant contenders.. Kovy and Martin would be the closest, because they are the 2 best players available at their position

however, my wish list goes:
1. Martin
2. Michalek
everyone else

Kovy

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
I wouldn't want to pay Mitchell 3.5 mill and Whitney is a playmaker. We need a sniper for Stastny's line. I would like Kovalchuk, if he wasn't so damn expensive. I rather see us stick with Galiardi before spending huge money.

Two UFAs I would want:
and
no one else. I want to see the Avs resign Stewart(3 million 5 years), Mueller(1.8 million 3 years), and Quincey (1.5 million 3 years)
I'd like to see that too but those are too low. I'd be surprised if any of them signed a contract that is longer than 2 years. But if they do sign longer the amount will definitely be higher

P0ckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
jaisen73

Whitney could be had IF the Avs are willing to give him two years. Then again, any team willing to give him 2 instead of 1 could probably land him.

Mitchell would be a good pick up but there are other defensemen I would prefer: Martin, Michalek, or Volchenkov. I know the Avs are not high on deals beyond about 4 years but for Martin I'd be willing to go 5 years at 4.5 million per. Overpayment? Yes, but that is the UFA market. And you have a legit Top 4 guy for long after Liles and Hannan's contracts expire, after Foote hangs em up, and as the solid defensive prospects enter the big time and (hopefully) blossom.

There aren't may truly excellent Top 4 guys on this year's UFA market but there are some solid pros and I think the Avs should sign some experience for this year and beyond. Just as we saw rookie forwards breaking in last year, the years ahead are full of rookie defenders.

At forward? I think a Top 6 winger would be nice but its not as critical as the defensive needs. I'd be thrilled with even a mid-tier guy like Armstrong or Torres.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
Is Mitchell even free from concussion symptoms?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Sitch

The two I would want are Hamhuis and Martin. Two players that aren't necessarily #1 d-men, but are both 1st pairing players that can help fix our biggest weakness from last season. They are both good defensively and have the ability to make a quick outlet pass. They would also help improve both the PP and the PK. Unfortunately, it will never happen. They would cost about $10 million and would make a Liles trade necessary. Imagine a defensive line-up of consisting of Martin, Hamhuis, Cumiskey, Hannan, and Foote though. Then, hopefully Foote and Hannan will be gone in a season, opening up consistent roster spots for both Wilson and Shattenkirk.

I can dream...

Edit - If the Liles trade brought in a top-6 LW, this would fix almost every single problem that we had this past season.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
AvsWraith

Anyone really think that Kovy would choose us over some of the other options out there? What incentive does he have? We have a bunch of kids from North America, almost zero European players, and a coach that is entering his sophomore year. We have the cap space to offer him a huge deal, but my guess is that management has learned their lesson about big UFA contracts. I think we have a bright future, but I'm completely biased. I just don't see him choosing us.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:46 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFitted67 View Post
Sorry if I come across very anti-kovy...
But I am.
Another no vote on Ilya Yashinchuk.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I used to really want Kovalchuk...but at this point, he'll cost too much and doesn't really fit in with the program.

I think there might be a chance Whitney will decide to come here to play with Duchene, he seemed to really like playing on that super young team at the WC's. Hopefully he either can keep up his level of play for 3 years, or is willing to sign shorter term to play with us.

I think Kubina also fits the mold for this team better, he also fits a huge need. Hits hard, shoots hard, and can take some pressure off our top-4.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
jaisen73

Kovy's incentive would be 1) Money and 2) Knowing that it's a young team that, by many accounts, will continue to get better. The young core of the Avalanche and their rebuild has been impressive. Not to mention that Colorado has won 2 cups. L.A, who I ultimately think will sign Kovalchuk, have won ZERO.

I don't think the current Avs and Kovalchuk are a good fit. Quite frankly, there are very few Top 6 forwards available via UFA that I would want long term. Whitney would be a nice choice for the next 1 to 2 years, though. He's up in years but he's speedy and that is what Colorado built upon last year. And he's a winner. He can contribute on and off the ice, showing the kids what it takes to have a long successful career and win.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with most people here about Kovy. I am not interested one minute. He is way way too expensive for what he brings. There is much more to hockey than scoring goals.

As for Whitney, I'd be ok with it but I would prefer we don't though. I think both Jones and Gali deserve to have a shot at the top line spot. At this point I don't really care which one gets it as both can also play 3rd line very well. Gali might fit a little better on the 3rd than Jones but Jones had great chemistry with RoR. Anybody that says they are over their head on the top line forgets that it is Gali's first season and Jones only has 90 games played in the NHL. The same was said about Stewart and a lot of other young players over the years. Let's see what we have before demoting them to the 3rd line. we have decent depth so let's wait and see. If we need more depth we can always pick up someday during the season.

Edit: as for FA i'd be ok with either Martin or Michalek.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post

Two UFAs I would want:
and
You won't ever get any of those guys to sign for that kind of money for that long of term. Stewart could be worth six million in two seasons if he keeps developing. Mueller has the potential to do the same. And personally, Quincey probably deserves more than 1.5. His contract will probably be twice that.

You're definitely reaching if you're hoping for any of those

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Here's my two signings...and I'm doing this on the cheap because I do not believe the Avs will attempt to sign anyone making over $3-4M a year.

Mike Weaver $1.5M / 2-3 years
Cheap shut-down defensemen type...right hand shot (which we have few of)...Not the biggest guy (5-9) but he still produces...30 takeaways vs. 19 giveaways last year. Leader in TOI during the PK for the Blues. I think he's reliable...in fact more than reliable as a 2nd pairing shut down guy. He would be a good match with Shattenkirk if Shatty's really going to play here next year.

Lee Stempniak $3M / 2-3 years
Not the biggest ticket out there, but a guy who can provide depth scoring (maybe 4th/5th option on the team). Would be able to fill in anywhere if there are injuries.

I'm not a fan at all of a Whitney signing. With an over-35 contract, if he goes bust or tails off due to age we are stuck with the salary with very little options for getting out of it.

Also, I am against a "big contract" for Martin or any of these other guys. I've reluctantly bought in to this whole "let the kids grow" program because I think it is indeed reality. In that scenario I believe we've got to leave room on the top pairing and top lines for these guys to fill those roles (similiar to how Campbell was signed but Keith is now the #1...it was an unnecessary signing...and yeah, I don't think we have anyone near the talent to be Keith but again I think it's reality this is the approach our Avs management is taking).

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Zaphod

Mitchell, AFAIK, still hasn't been cleared, and I was under the impression his career was just about over.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Jrtu

Top priorities should be:
1. Stewart
2. Mueller
I know they were qualified, but we want them signed! Get it done now!!!
Yes, a defensive-dman would come in handy for us if we can get one via FA.

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:26 AM
shadow1

There aren't two UFA's that will make the Avalanche cup contenders - not saying it's not possible next year, but if it is it'll be because of Duchene and co. getting better - but if I had to choose two, I sure as heck know Kovalchuk would be one of them.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

i know you said no to Kovalchuk, but I'm saying that if Kovalchuk would be willing to sign a two-year, 10 million per year deal, then I would like to have him. As a d-man I'd take Paul Martin.

Avs won't get Kovalchuk, just because you can easily see the army of Russians Avs have ever had.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
i know you said no to Kovalchuk, but I'm saying that if Kovalchuk would be willing to sign a two-year, 10 million per year deal, then I would like to have him. As a d-man I'd take Paul Martin.

Avs won't get Kovalchuk, just because you can easily see the army of Russians Avs have ever had.
You would seriously be willing to pay ten million dollars per for Kovalchuk? Like honestly?

Wow....

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote