HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lebrun: Kings tried to trade for Kovalchuk's rights

Old
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
you would take Kovalchuk over Duncan Keith? are you high?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
in your opinion.

I would take Kovalchuk over Sedin, Thornton, and Keith as a Kings fan.
Er, that's why he said I rank. And Keith is worth considerably more than Kovalchuk to any GM in the NHL. Best D-man in the league >>>>> best wing.

I think Kovy will stay right where he is.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
to be 100% completely honest with you, i hope the Devils dont re-sign him UNLESS they are somehow able to move Rolston and/or Pandolfo and/or Salvador

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Randal Graves
HFBoards Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrold4Norris View Post
"I'll honor it myself if HF doesn't"

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
that would be a waste of a asset for l.a. because ilya will go to toronto july 1st
Just like Rick Nash right?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Randal Graves
HFBoards Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Just like Rick Nash right?
Don't forget Marleau

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree. You are right that the Kings struck out on players in years past but that was mainly when they were in last place in the conference year after year. DL mentioned last year that he could have had Gaborik if he was willing to match the Rangers offer which he wasn't because of injury history. Hossa specifically stated he wanted to go to a 100 point team and the Kings had no proof they were going to get there. So while there is no guarantee the Kings will sign him, there is no doubt to me they will make an effort to and the Kings ARE a good option for him.
The Gaborik situation is a good illustration of what I pointed out in my first post: another team came along and offered more money than Lombardi was willing to. The reason is not really important, as there's always a reason. If he doesn't sign Kovalchuk, the reason will probably be Ilya's motives for playing in LA, his lack of success, feeling the price was too high to sign current players or something else. With Hossa, and correct me if I'm wrong, I get the impression that fans are implying that the Kings are where they needed to be a year ago to get Hossa, just because of the 100pts. I disagree, because the Hawks didn't simply exceed 100pts; they won two playoffs rounds, ultimately losing to Hossa's former team (so, he got pretty familiar with their work ethic, system and what makes them special). If the Kings had had their '09-'10 season the year before, Hossa probably still would've picked Chicago. This is the guy who signed with Cup winner Detroit the previous Summer, afterall.

Really, though, other than that, we're pretty much in agreement. I don't know why you read between the lines like you did. I never said that the Kings weren't a good fit for Ilya, don't have a good chance to sign him or wouldn't make an effort to sign him. I believe that he is, they do and they will... but it doesn't mean, at the end of the day, that he'll sign with them. I suspect that he won't, but we'll see. He'll get multiple offers on Thursday, probably even a few from teams that most thought couldn't afford him, and he'll make up his mind then. Often, we're really surprised where a free agent goes, thanks to spectacular salesmanship on July 1st by some team.

Last edited by Osprey: 06-29-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:11 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
The Gaborik situation is a good illustration of what I pointed out in my first post: another team came along and offered more money than Lombardi was willing to. The reason is not really important, as there's always a reason. If he doesn't sign Kovalchuk, the reason will probably be Ilya's motives for playing in LA, his lack of success, feeling the price was too high to sign current players or something else. With Hossa, and correct me if I'm wrong, I get the impression that fans are implying that the Kings are where they needed to be a year ago to get Hossa, just because of the 100pts. I disagree, because the Hawks didn't simply exceed 100pts; they won two playoffs rounds, ultimately losing to Hossa's former team (so, he got pretty familiar with their work ethic, system and what makes them special). If the Kings had had their '09-'10 season the year before, Hossa probably still would've picked Chicago. This is the guy who signed with Cup winner Detroit the previous Summer, afterall.

Really, though, other than that, we're pretty much in agreement. I don't know why you read between the lines like you did. I never said that the Kings weren't a good fit for Ilya, didn't have a good chance to sign him or wouldn't make an effort to sign him. I believe that he is, they do and they will, respectively. I just suspect that he'll sign elsewhere, regardless. It is possible for all of the stars to align and for a team to not get their man. As you said, nobody can make Kovalchuk sign on the dotted line, so it's definitely not a fait accompli. He'll sign where he wants to sign, of course.
While it would have been nice to have to have Gaborik can you blame Lombardi for not wanting to give him a long term deal?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
DL will do anything he possibly can to land Kovalchuk (as long as Kovalchuk gives us a fair shake for example not giving others a discount while wanting the moon from out aka piss off DL - which I doubt).

Years? 5? 7? 12? DL will do it.

CAP Hit? 7.5? 8? 8.5? 9? 9.5? DL will do it.

The decision will come down to Kovalchuk.

Its almost Thurday!!!

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
/thread
I can tell you that's a lie. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
DL will do anything he possibly can to land Kovalchuk (as long as Kovalchuk gives us a fair shake for example not giving others a discount while wanting the moon from out aka piss off DL - which I doubt).

Years? 5? 7? 12? DL will do it.

CAP Hit? 7.5? 8? 8.5? 9? 9.5? DL will do it.

The decision will come down to Kovalchuk.

Its almost Thurday!!!
I don't think he'll go that high. I'm thinking his cut-off might be 8-8.5.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:54 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

From what I read, Lombardi is not that high on signing Kovalchuk, but the owner wants him to.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I can tell you that's a lie. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.
Lou is known for his secrecy but I'm pretty sure he gave an honest answer. He claimed no team offered anything for Kovalchuk's rights, not just the Kings. He wouldn't want to make Lombardi look like a liar, now would he?

Did Lombardi confirm he tried to trade for his rights?

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absentia Man View Post
Three reasons I don't think he'll sign with the Rangers:
1. They aren't exactly an organization with history of winning
2. They aren't considered an up and coming team
3. There cap situation is less favorable than teams like LA, and NJ.

1) The Kings are?

2) Debatable. While Theyre not the Blackhawks or Kings youth wise, youth here will still be served and we are 12th in organizational rankings even after Anisimov and Del Zotto made the team. Our better prospects like Stepan, Grachev and Kreider (all with much higher ceilings than Dubinsky and Callahan) are slated to make the team within a year or two. Add Gaborik and Lundqvist.

3) Theres a chart floating around that says LA only has 3 million more to work with than the Rangers do. Not sure where you get that from.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This is lunacy on the Devils' part. Even if it's a 5th round pick, just take it and run.

The Kovalchuk experiment failed in a big way. Just move on, especially with Parise in need of a new contract.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
Lou is known for his secrecy but I'm pretty sure he gave an honest answer. He claimed no team offered anything for Kovalchuk's rights, not just the Kings. He wouldn't want to make Lombardi look like a liar, now would he?

It would shock me as well that Lou would lie,but Pierre Lebrun is a legitimate source and I would be suprised if he lied as well.

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post

Being offered something and just being asked are two different things. Lombardi could've said "Hey Lou, any chance you deal Kovalchuk's rights so we can try and work out a deal before July 1st?". Lou say's no. Notice that there was nothing offered? Therefore Lou might not have been lying, he was just stating that there were no offers.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Being offered something and just being asked are two different things. Lombardi could've said "Hey Lou, any chance you deal Kovalchuk's rights so we can try and work out a deal before July 1st?". Lou say's no. Notice that there was nothing offered? Therefore Lou might not have been lying, he was just stating that there were no offers.
you are a smart man

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
From what I read, Lombardi is not that high on signing Kovalchuk, but the owner wants him to.
Link?

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
This is lunacy on the Devils' part. Even if it's a 5th round pick, just take it and run.

The Kovalchuk experiment failed in a big way. Just move on, especially with Parise in need of a new contract.
Parise's new contract doesnt really have anything to do with it. By trading for Arnott we saved the money we need to re-sign Zach next off season. With Zachs current 3.8 plus the 4.6 we have open up when Arnotts contract ends he will be fine.

The problem with re-signing Kovy is that we need to upgrade our D and now its starting to look like we might lose our best Dman. If we sign Kovy right now and cant move players our D will be horrible. If we dont sign Kovy and put the 12 or 13 mill toward 2 Dman and a Bottom 6 guy the team will prob be better overall. This is the debate with us Devils fans. Where to spend the money. Of course this is all assuming Kovy would sign with us which is another touchy subject. Some feel yes some feel no others are unsure.

Will be a fun day on July 1.

As for his rights i dont see lou trading anyones rights.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote