HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Red Wings invite three bonus picks to camp"

Old
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
zackisonfire

vCash: 500
"Red Wings invite three bonus picks to camp"

Per Red Wings Central:http://redwingscentral.com/stories/2...27_Invites.php

"When the NHL draft ended on Saturday, the Detroit Red Wings' work wasn't done. Director of scouting Joe McDonnell was quickly working the phone inviting a handful of undrafted prospects to training camp.

Just hours later, McDonnell had already received confirmation that three players have decided to report to Traverse City in late August: left-winger Darren Archibald of the Barrie Colts, blueliner Alex Cord of the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors, and right-winger Trevor Parkes of the Montreal Juniors.

Since the draft was reduced to seven rounds under the new collective bargaining agreement, the Red Wings have gone this route to land prospects such as Brian Lashoff, Brent Raedeke and Willie Coetzee.

The 6-foot-3, 193-pound Archibald ranked 190th among North Americans by Central Scouting. He has been productive for two seasons in the OHL and produced 26 goals and 33 assists for 59 points in 57 games in 2009-10.

Cord, a 6-foot-2 195-pounder, split last season between junior A and the OHL. He finished with no points and 18 penalty minutes in 10 games with Mississauga and had nine points in 38 games with junior A Oakville. Central Scouting pegged him as the 186th best North American in the draft.

Parkes, a 6-foot-1 180-pounder, potted 27 goals and 20 assists for 47 points in 66 games on the same team as Red Wings third-round pick Louis-Marc Aubry. He also piled up six goals in seven playoff games and was ranked 197th among North Americans by Central Scouting."

zackisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
Parkes and Archibald are very good players I actually thought that Archibald was drafted. Parkes was a FA invite to Montreal this past season he has a really good shot , he's a big kid who likes to take the puck to the net

He scores in this video at 1:13

Parkes hat-trick

Archibald who plays very physical shows in this video how far he would actually go

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Darren Archibald is a great player and a guy I think really has NHL potential. He's a throwback power forward who hits, fights and can score goals. He's also a pretty strong two way player who sees PK time.

He was at the Blue Jackets camp last year...and survived until nearly the end of their training camp. Was surprised he didn't get a contract offer.

But he's been rated for the past two entry drafts and failed to go. Maybe there is something else there...character issues? Off ice issues?

Either way the kid can play and I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings signed him to a deal after camp.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Parkes second goal in that second video is really nice.

Archibald.. what the hell was the thinking hitting Grubauer like that? Haha, other than that though he sounds really solid, we'll see if he can turn into anything.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
Archibald is the kind of player the Wings have been missing since the days of DMac or even Dallas Drake and Aaron Downey. We made a very good pick last year in Mitchell Callahan but you can never have to much sand paper and grit. Archibald would go through a wall for his teammates the only thing holding him back from what I heard was off ice issues and his off ice training. That was heard second hand so I'm not sure if its true or not.

I think that he and Parkes could get a contract offer by the end of camp.

I don't know much Alex Cord maybe someone else could fill us in ?

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Judging by the fact that everyone seems to think Archibald can seriously play the game, there's got to be more to it than his skill as to why he's gone undrafted. I'm guessing it's off-ice issues, and the hit and his hairstyle (yes, I am judgemental ) seem to point to a few things I would be a bit wary of.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Archibald is the kind of player the Wings have been missing since the days of DMac or even Dallas Drake and Aaron Downey. We made a very good pick last year in Mitchell Callahan but you can never have to much sand paper and grit. Archibald would go through a wall for his teammates
That is awesome !

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
I like what I see from Archibald! Would be easy to get the chant going at the Joe too: Archie, Archie, Archie!!

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Ahhh I remember that video of Archibald. The first thing I said when I saw it: "What a psycho". I hope he can keep his cool while playing aggressive hockey cause I don't want some guy who just racks up the PIM.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Parkes and Archibald are very good players I actually thought that Archibald was drafted. ...
Different Archibald. Brandon Archibald was drafted by Columbus in the 2010 draft.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Marky9er

I'm still kinda pissed about that hit on grubauer. Meh.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
probertrules24

How about an invite for Viktor Svedberg. You can't teach 6'9.

Code:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5841

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post

Archibald who plays very physical shows in this video how far he would actually go

That was by far the most awesome thing I've seen in recent memory.

edit: Awww, man. I was thinking for the longest time, how can I put the awesomeness into words. Then I saw this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenitor View Post
Like the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." You just nailed it, my friend!

Last edited by GT500x: 06-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.
GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
How about an invite for Viktor Svedberg. You can't teach 6'9.

Code:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5841
I totally misread that the first time. Boy did my thoughts take a turn for the worst.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
There is nothing cooler than someone who has the balls to run a goalie..

That was fantastic.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:09 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Judging by the fact that everyone seems to think Archibald can seriously play the game, there's got to be more to it than his skill as to why he's gone undrafted. I'm guessing it's off-ice issues, and the hit and his hairstyle (yes, I am judgemental ) seem to point to a few things I would be a bit wary of.
That'll be enough out of you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
There is nothing cooler than someone who has the balls to run a goalie..

That was fantastic.
And not just a little bump either, he OWNED him! I hate when goalies take their sweet time to play the puck because they're protected by the refs. Sometimes you just gotta impose your will.

Old
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Right when he hit the blue line he was probably thinking ''ur dead u little goalie pad wearing chimichonga'' ...

That's my interpretation at least..

He just wanted to fight someone .. Which is pretty gangster.. I would sign him to my ball hockey team if he would join.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:49 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Like the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." You just nailed it, my friend
Looked for the right one, and there it was!

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote