HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen won't get QO

Old
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Everyone who plays with Gaborik seemingly shows chemistry with him because he is a great player. From Brandon Dubinsky to Vinny Prospal to Erik Christensen.

Besides, the phrase that you used when describing the Christensen/Gaborik tandem was "great chemistry." Sorry, I dont see it.
Except Anisimov, Callahan, Drury, Avery(more than once on that left wing), PAP (both stints with the big club), Kotalik, and Higgins(ugh, wayy too much time spent on that line) all showed NO chemistry with Gaborik when they had their shot at playing with him. Some got more time than others, but they were all on Gabby's line at some point.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Bleed Ranger Blue has a point, but so do some of the counter-arguments.

I don't necessarily believe that Erik Christensen has "great chemistry" with Gaborik. Sometimes it's a matter of good hockey IQ to be able to produce results, and that's something Christensen has. The effort is not there, clearly, every night, however. And that's his problem.

Christensen's passing is top-notch when he's on his A game, and therefore, getting the puck to Gaborik is an easy task. Gaborik snipes it home. It's that simple.

Chemistry is overrated severely. If you're talking about some extreme examples, then it isn't. But there aren't many of those.

For Ranger fans sake:

See: Straka Nylander Jagr

The Sedin Twins, etc.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Not nearly enough time though to really say they didnt have chemistry.

Christensen was given more time cause hes a damn pivot, thats why.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Christensen want's this to be his pay off year, he wants to sign a 1 year, and do well so he can land that bigger contract since he knows he's going to be playing with Gaborik, but Rangers want to lock him up at a low price for years to come so even if his performance improves like they know it can with all that finesse he has trapped in there, they dont have to pay him more for his performance that he's locked into.

Here's a guy who has spent time with 4 different teams and is no stranger to waivers. He is also 27 years old. If Rangers didnt come calling last year he may have been out of the league. If Rangers want to lock him up longterm he would be an idiot not to do it.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I actually liked the Prospal-Anisimov-Gaborik line. It was a little heavy for Artem to log all those minutes, but they did fine together for the few games they were actually left as a unit.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I guess that KIND OF explains the last part of the report, but how much could he honestly get if he went to arbitration? Would he even really do that considering the Rangers were the only team willing to give him a shot last season and he seemed grateful for it?
The Leafs didn't tender John Mitchell a QO. The Leafs want to re-sign Mitchell but were scared of the arbitration award

Quote:
If the Leafs had qualified Mitchell with an offer to retain his rights, Mitchell also would have qualified for arbitration. The Leafs didn’t want to take the risk Mitchell would win an arbitration case for more than $1 million a year, and are hoping to get him for significantly less than $800,000.

“We’ve agreed to continue discussions,” said Burke. “He’s made it clear he wants to come back and we’ve made it clear we want him back and on July 1 we’ll see if there’s a number that works.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...to-free-agency

The Rangers are using the same strategy with Christensen. Both players have similar numbers the last two years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

I thought Christensen was a waste initially, but he made it pretty clear that there may be something there. If we can cheap out on a Gabby linemate and still have Gaborik score around 40 goals, that is a pretty damn good situation. Christensen also seems to respond pretty well to Torts' coaching and style. Throw in some consistent ice time, you may have a player. Not only that, but a player loyal to the Rangers given the fact that they were possibly his last real chance at making it.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
RonGreschner

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! He's an average center who has played on 4 teams in the last year and a half, so thats got to be be telling you something. Let him walk and use that money on Shellety and Prust. Lets bring in Stepan and go from there. Its not like there going to win the Cup next year.

RonGreschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This is EC's agent talking. Christiansen is a humble guy. Probably knows playing on a top line with Gaborik is the best deal he'll get anywhere.

Pretty stupid if you ask me

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:35 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Still hoping to see Erik back next season!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:29 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I've edited the OP to include "NY still hoping Christensen will re-sign for more term and at less money". That's kind of a major part to omit.

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why would you want to commit to EC for anything more than 1 year? Can you really expect him to take less than $825K?
It's funny how they try to be fiscally responsible with this type of deal to save a few hundred grand over the years, but then they throw money at Redden, Drury and Gomez... millions in overpayment per year. Just backwards in the front office. I am thoroughly convinced they are clueless.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
It's funny how they try to be fiscally responsible with this type of deal to save a few hundred grand over the years, but then they throw money at Redden, Drury and Gomez... millions in overpayment per year. Just backwards in the front office. I am thoroughly convinced they are clueless.
It is comedic. Here we have Sather who doesn't pony up the dough easily to any of his RFA's, but yet, when UFA's are on the market (especially those who are a bit, *ahem* seasoned), he'll throw out anything possible to get them to be a Ranger. Not only that, he'll throw in no trade clauses, no movement clauses, etc. I can't imagine what else he offers.

There are some reasons for this, and RFA's don't have leverage as UFA's do, but still, management is flawed. Mainly Sather.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
It is comedic. Here we have Sather who doesn't pony up the dough easily to any of his RFA's, but yet, when UFA's are on the market (especially those who are a bit, *ahem* seasoned), he'll throw out anything possible to get them to be a Ranger. Not only that, he'll throw in no trade clauses, no movement clauses, etc. I can't imagine what else he offers.

There are some reasons for this, and RFA's don't have leverage as UFA's do, but still, management is flawed. Mainly Sather.
I am still baffled by this guys negotiating techniques. The old story...Masterful at trades, terrible with the checkbook...But what really gets me is when he opens the checkbook, he does so to the reclamation project?

Is it that hard to get players to come to NY? You would think with all there is to do and the relative short distance to travel to other arenas the teams play against that NY would be the perfect destination for a UFA.

Hopefully Messier has better negotiating powers.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
DrAStuart

I'm still hoping this gets done. I think EC really started to find a bit of a groove in NYC after the injury, the trade and getting waived -- and his confidence was on the upswing by the second half of last season. He's obviously skilled (Torts said the 2nd most skilled guy on the roster) and he responded well to Torts' challenges.
I suspect that the 2 year offer was at the minimum for his QO and his response was to say that for that money he'd take a one year and see what happens....but that he'd sign a two year for something a little higher salary-wise.
I think he demonstrated enough in the second half of the season to merit something more than just a 5% raise...closer to the 850-950 range.
And, yeah, it is ironic that management is nickel and diming a cheap RFA but has a history of giving just-past-their-best-before-date UFAs the combination to the safe...
I remember a quote in the papers just before the Olympic break when EC had a three point game and he said that Sather was after him to 'develop an ego'.
Maybe Sather shouldn't have told him that in his RFA year
C'mon Glen, just sign the kid already...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I believe this is like what NJ did with Andy Greene last year. Greene ended up getting a bit of a raise, though.

But it might be a way for Sather to get a different kind of deal, then what a QO would give Christensen

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
But again, it's just market economics. The supply of UFA's is small, almost ridiculously small this year. If you want one that several other teams want, you've got to bring a really good offer.

If there hadn't ever been a Redden contract, I'm thinking Sather's UFA legacy wouldn't be quite so bad. I can at least rationalize how Drury and Gomez got paid, especially now that we're debating the merits of Eric Christensen on the top line as opposed to UFA pitfalls like Jokinen. It's not like there's dozens of options at the Rangers' disposal.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
But again, it's just market economics. The supply of UFA's is small, almost ridiculously small this year. If you want one that several other teams want, you've got to bring a really good offer.

If there hadn't ever been a Redden contract, I'm thinking Sather's UFA legacy wouldn't be quite so bad. I can at least rationalize how Drury and Gomez got paid, especially now that we're debating the merits of Eric Christensen on the top line as opposed to UFA pitfalls like Jokinen. It's not like there's dozens of options at the Rangers' disposal.
It's unbelievable how many people FAIL to understand this.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Does anybody have the full list of who we qualified and didn't?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I would love to see erik come back for next year and be that swing guy going into next years free agency. We don't need to sign a top line center this year cause we are not winning the cup, or are not even close to that.

Signing Christensen does a couple of things:

1. We know he can play with Gaborik but we don't want him to be the option at the #1 center spot. It gives the team an option to put him there as a stop gap, and we could then find out if Anisimov is ready to play with Gaborik.

2. The guy has talent, a great wrister and is good for the shootout. We don't have too many guys like that currently on the team, as we know watching Jokinen end our dreams this past season.

3. He will be cheap. He won't cost any more than $1 million dollars, and after the season starts and Redden is in the minors (keeping my fingers crossed), we will have the cap space to entertain a trade to get a #1 or #2 center on the roster.

Giving him the QO would have been a good start in getting him to come back and play with us, now he might just test the FA market since it is soo slim this year, and maybe he could land a job somewhere else. If we plan on staying the course, Christensen should be in the plans for next season.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If Stepan makes the team, I can't see a spot for EC unless Boyle gets dropped or Prospal doesn't come back.

Although, put Dubinsky & Drury on wing and that opens up a bit.

Stepan
EC
AA
Boyle
Prospal

are all possible centers.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
RangerFan10

I bet you Christensen hits the open market and we end up paying $1.4 mil per year for 3 years to retain him, lol

Old
06-29-2010, 03:00 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
If Stepan makes the team, I can't see a spot for EC unless Boyle gets dropped or Prospal doesn't come back.

Although, put Dubinsky & Drury on wing and that opens up a bit.

Stepan
EC
AA
Boyle
Prospal

are all possible centers.
That's nice. Stepan is a huge longshot to make the team.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

No hes not.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hes a minor longshot

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
It's unbelievable how many people FAIL to understand this.
I don't fail to understand what Melrose mentioned. It's still a matter of being a successful GM and making the correct moves. Sather must have read the stat card on Redden and offered him that dough because he believed he can be an offensive presence (which we lacked at the time) on the blueline. Again, another action of rushed tendency. Clearly, we lacked any offensive prowess from the back end, and thus, he signs someone who HAD previous numbers in the past that were more than respectable, and whad'ya know, he arrives in New York only to score 5 goals in 156 regular season games.

I agree that Sather's UFA track record wouldn't be so bad had he strayed away from Redden (who was signed in the same off-season that Mark Streit was, for less money, and actually IS the offensive powerhouse). Gomez and Drury were owed money somewhat similar to that, but not for the amount of years, etc.

The simple fact is: UFA's will get more money. You might have to compete. But you damn well better make sure this player is the real deal before giving him terms and figures like that. I'd hesitate slightly before handing that contract over to Mike Green (Redden's contract), had he been available. There are some commitments you have to be smart about.

Now, he has to be smart about the moves to FIX those in the past. Not smart management.