HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6th overall...who do you want?

Old
06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Acehawk74

vCash: 500
No real issue with the pick, other than I think we could've gotten him 2-3 more picks down. But, you gotta have two to tango.

Anyways, I think the injury thing is overblown, especially at this age. He's got time to grow, mature, work on his game due to his age.

BPA doesn't mean BPA today. I think this will be a good player for us.

His scoring ability is apparently extremely good. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
I'll warm up to it eventually, it helps that Fowler and Gormley took a free fall. 30 goals as a 16 year old in the WHL is amazing though so he has talent and a lot of people say if he was healthy he would have been in the conversation with Taylor and Tyler.

I don't think our system is strong enough where we can afford to swing for the fences but I trust SY had our doctors check him out and made the right decision.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
CSampson

Kind wish we had a second .

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Razzmatazz

We need a scoring winger much more than we need a defenseman, the horrible defense was due to a poor defensive scheme.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
We need a scoring winger much more than we need a defenseman, the horrible defense was due to a poor defensive scheme.
The lack of offensive defense was due to coaching?

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
Prospect wise we have a lot better forward prospects than we do defensemen prospects. It would have been nice to get Hedman a partner and create a future top pairing, but I understand why they got Connolly. I just hope it works out in the end.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:21 PM
TBLHoser

From what I've read, it was a hip flexor injury and he tried to play through it and wound up injuring the other hip by over compensating - it wasn't a bone structure injury.

Looks like he'll be teammates again with Dana Tyrell although they didn't play much together in 2007-8, Connelly's first season but he'll have someone to hang with.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

We could've traded down 5 or 6 spots and gotten someone as good. Hell, we could've traded down 10 or 11 spots and gotten a comparable forward with a lot less risk and only a litte less scoring potential.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Staalguy

Serious Question: Does he make the team next year and play with VL4?

I think that he might because we so little NHL ready depth on the top 6 to play with VL4 and Connolly will want to prove that he could have been in the discussions with Hall and Seguin.......if it doesnt work out we can just send him back to junior no big deal

Staalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
I'll warm up to it eventually, it helps that Fowler and Gormley took a free fall. 30 goals as a 16 year old in the WHL is amazing though so he has talent and a lot of people say if he was healthy he would have been in the conversation with Taylor and Tyler.

I don't think our system is strong enough where we can afford to swing for the fences but I trust SY had our doctors check him out and made the right decision.
As long as he follows a strict exercise program, and most pro sports trainers do, he shouldn't have a recurrence. If not, these injuries can become chronic. He should spend his off season working out at Gary Roberts' house...the cure for all ills...

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Even though we are weak at Defensmen it isnt a bad thing to load up on offense. If you look at the teams that have been in the finals you will see teams who are very deep and have 4 lines that are capable of scoring. Sure defense is important but I think there is a reason why we saw Gormley and Fowler fall like they did. I think Yzerman was going BPA which was Connely. What Im reading it seems like if he didnt have the health concerns he would have been up there with Hall and Seguin, so I think I will am pretty happy with the pick but only time will tell. Go Bolts!

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
Even though we are weak at Defensmen it isnt a bad thing to load up on offense. If you look at the teams that have been in the finals you will see teams who are very deep and have 4 lines that are capable of scoring. Sure defense is important but I think there is a reason why we saw Gormley and Fowler fall like they did. I think Yzerman was going BPA which was Connely. What Im reading it seems like if he didnt have the health concerns he would have been up there with Hall and Seguin, so I think I will am pretty happy with the pick but only time will tell. Go Bolts!
Agreed. But I've never thought that drafting for need, especially in the NHL, is smart. You draft the best available talent.
This isn't the NFL or NBA where kids can play the next year and be starters/stars.
In the NHL, you're lucky if you get a 1st rounder in your lineup in 2 years. Most take 3-5 years. By that time, who know's how things look.
What if all of TB's defense prospects turn out to be solid but our offense is hurting.
Just take the best player available. Connolly, skill wise, was certainly that guy.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
We could've traded down 5 or 6 spots and gotten someone as good. Hell, we could've traded down 10 or 11 spots and gotten a comparable forward with a lot less risk and only a litte less scoring potential.
Erm, he would have been competing for the first overall spot if he didn't get injured.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote