HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Qualify all RFA's, but Grebs, Boyd, & Olvecky

Old
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds Qualify all RFA's, but Grebs, Boyd, & Olvecky

Quote:
The Nashville Predators extended official Qualifying Offers to several of their pending Restricted Free Agents prior to today's deadline, including forwards Patric Hornqvist & Michael Santorelli, defensemen Robert Dietrich, Cody Franson, Teemu Laakso, & Ryan Parent, and goaltender Mark Dekanich.

By extending Qualifying Offers, the Nashville retains the rights to those restricted free agents, including the option to match any contract offers extended to those players by other NHL teams.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123

By not qualifying Grebeshkov, Boyd, and Olvecky they are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1st...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533123

By not qualifying Grebeshkov, Boyd, and Olvecky they are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents on July 1st...
I'm kind of surprised the didn't qualify Boyd.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I know we couldn't have foreseen his injury, but it just feels like a waste of a second round pick not to qualify Grebeshkov, especially when we could really put him to good use.

I'm indifferent on the rest.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I know we couldn't have foreseen his injury, but it just feels like a waste of a second round pick not to qualify Grebeshkov, especially when we could really put him to good use.

You never know, maybe they sign him to a longer term contract for lesser money now and didn't want to qualify him at the higher salary. I wonder how that works actually. If they wanted to re-sign him to a few year contract, do they have to qualify him at his current salary or can they pay him less money over a few years?

Old
06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, and part of me feels the same way, but really we have to forget about what we paid for him and look at how he fits in now. I do think he would have been useful as well, but 3.15 is pricey for such a big question mark. Sounds like Poile tried hard to get something done, but Grebs wouldn't agree.

I'm torn, but I also don't see room on this team for both him and Franson, and I'd rather have Franson.

We just need to remember that Boyd and Grebs were trade-deadline rentals (with an option to re-sign), not long term solutions.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm kind of surprised the didn't qualify Boyd.
Quote:

Very disappointed in the "Boyd void" for the Preds. I saw a higher upside than the normal 3/4th's Nashville runs through the organization.

As far as the Grebs situation, Worst is too kind in his assessment----it doesn't feel like a waste, it IS a waste of a second round pick. Injury or no, the end result for giving up the 2nd rounder is apparently zilch. No significant game contribution and no value in return for his rights. Shame we couldn't even get at least a 7th rounder for his rights.

Olvecky----yawn.

I'm down with the rest of the QO's.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Very disappointed in the "Boyd void" for the Preds. I saw a higher upside than the normal 3/4th's Nashville runs through the organization.

As far as the Grebs situation, Worst is too kind in his assessment----it doesn't feel like a waste, it IS a waste of a second round pick. Injury or no, the end result for giving up the 2nd rounder is apparently zilch. No significant game contribution and no value in return for his rights. Shame we couldn't even get at least a 7th rounder for his rights.

Olvecky----yawn.

I'm down with the rest of the QO's.
there was a reason boyd was not qualified ... his name is Halishuk

No way was Grebs going to resign here ... sack was destroyed on a shot ... primarily an offensive dman ... and is an apparent flight risk as well ... good luck to him getting north of 3.15

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I would have liked to have kept Grebs, but understand that there's more pressing matters for that 3 million to be spent on.

Boyd...I'm disappointed. He's a better player than Tootoo, at least as good as Smithson, and has a higher offensive upside than either. For whatever reason, it seems like he fell into that "Trotz just doesn't like him" category, not unlike Vitali Vishnevsky did...another one that to this day I'm annoyed at the way he was used.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
there was a reason boyd was not qualified ... his name is Halishuk
No way was Grebs going to resign here ... sack was destroyed on a shot ... primarily an offensive dman ... and is an apparent flight risk as well ... good luck to him getting north of 3.15
I would prefer Boyd if given the option between the two. However, Poile didn't ask me what I thought so I guess we all move forward with the players we do have.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
roseyc

Quote:
You never know, maybe they sign him to a longer term contract for lesser money now and didn't want to qualify him at the higher salary. I wonder how that works actually. If they wanted to re-sign him to a few year contract, do they have to qualify him at his current salary or can they pay him less money over a few years?
Yeah I wonder how that works out too. But they weren't going to sign Grebs at 3ml. But I think your right if they can get his salary to about 1.5 or a maybe 2ml because he didn't play that much for either Edm or Nsh. I don't think anybody will give him that. But like I said if they could maybe they could trade Franson along with somebody to open a spot.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
you have to qualify the player at the # they're specified to get

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Grebs was a rental with a re-sign option. If the 2nd rounder was a waste, then I guess all trade-deadline rental deals are a waste too? We couldn't predict he would get injured. It was a good move at the time.

Not to mention that "no significant game contribution" is false. He pretty much won the game against Edmonton, and he was also responsible for the game 5 "comeback" vs Chicago. Played good in his other games as well. Only knock on him was taking too many penalties in his first 2 games.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Grebs was a rental with a re-sign option. If the 2nd rounder was a waste, then I guess all trade-deadline rental deals are a waste too? We couldn't predict he would get injured. It was a good move at the time.

Not to mention that "no significant game contribution" is false. He pretty much won the game against Edmonton, and he was also responsible for the game 5 "comeback" vs Chicago. Played good in his other games as well. Only knock on him was taking too many penalties in his first 2 games.
Agreed. There is nothing to say about his lack of games played due to injury other than "tough luck". Injuries are an unfortunate result of playing sports and I thought Grebs laid it all out there and gave us his best each game he played.

Personally, I'd like to have Grebs back, but cannot justify the $3.1 million price tag. The second round pick to acquire him is a sunk cost, so you can't justify giving him the cash to justify losing the pick and I think Poile was probably the most upset of all of us that he couldn't get back into the second or fourth rounds last weekend at the draft due to the picks he traded away.

Halischuk is definitely a reason Boyd was not qualified, but the other main one was that he was too inconsistent to justify being qualified and creating a log jam at the young bottom 6 forward with offensive upside position. One of the things I was really surprised about with Boyd was how weak he was on his stick. Far too often he didn't have his stick on the ice or was simply pushed off the puck in the offensive zone. To continue developing in the NHL, Boyd must get BSF (bigger, stronger, faster), until then...he is really no more than just a depth player. I think he has great potential still, but can understand why that won't come here in Nashville.

Olvecky basically got so deep into Lambert's doghouse in Milwaukee for poor work ethic and total inconsistency that he was jettisoned to Manitoba at the trade deadline for Marty Murray (who had a positive effect for the Ads). There was no way he was getting re-signed...

Old
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
predfan24

I don't mind not qualifying Boyd. Great wrist shot. But he's to small and doesn't battle hard enough IMO to be an everyday 3rd or 4th liner.

Grebs does seem like a waste of a second but oh well.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
braindead

Grebs wasn't a waste- we traded for a player that, by all looks, could have helped and could have been re-signed. The problem was bad luck limited our views of him interacting with the rest of our team on the ice and, as a result, we can't justify the salary. We spent a 2nd to try to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs and potentially replace Hamhuis... that isn't a waste. Sunk cost should be ignored in making the current decision.

Boyd's a slacker... the Preds figured out what the Flames already knew. Good riddance.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Grebs wasn't a waste- we traded for a player that, by all looks, could have helped and could have been re-signed. The problem was bad luck limited our views of him interacting with the rest of our team on the ice and, as a result, we can't justify the salary. We spent a 2nd to try to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs and potentially replace Hamhuis... that isn't a waste. Sunk cost should be ignored in making the current decision.
Dear Braindead (and other interested parties):

4 regular season games with 1G/1A and 2 playoff games with 2A for a second round pick...for a player the Preds were never going to sign anyway at the QO price due to budget constraints...on a team with more quality young dmen and dmen prospects than anybody else...on a team that relies on building through the draft more than any other team which means they need as many picks as they can get...trading for a player that didn't address the glaring missing element for the Preds...for a player so sought after by other teams around the league that nobody was even willing to spend a 7th round pick for his rights...sounds like a complete success!!

If we judged success based on the merits of "by all looks" and what we thought would happen instead of what actually happened, then the Preds may have made it to the second round this year.

Sincerely,
First Round Playoff Game Five CHI vs. NAS

Old
06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
glenngineer

Quote:

4 regular season games with 1G/1A and 2 playoff games with 2A for a second round pick...for a player the Preds were never going to sign anyway at the QO price due to budget constraints...on a team with more quality young dmen and dmen prospects than anybody else...on a team that relies on building through the draft more than any other team which means they need as many picks as they can get...trading for a player that didn't address the glaring missing element for the Preds...for a player so sought after by other teams around the league that nobody was even willing to spend a 7th round pick for his rights...sounds like a complete success!!

If we judged success based on the merits of "by all looks" and what we thought would happen instead of what actually happened, then the Preds may have made it to the second round this year.

Sincerely,
I don't get this line of thinking about acquiring Grebs. How in the world do we know he's going to go down for virtually all his time here? If we don't make the move to acquire him people complain that we don't do anything to improve the team. We make the move and he gets hurt and people are upset about it. The guy went down to block a shot and in the process got hurt. It happens. Poile and the owners were trying to make this team better. They felt he was a piece that would help and if he was healthy and if we got to the second round, either Hamhuis or Grebs probably would've been re-signed. That was the thought process with this years team, salary and the playoffs.

Would I have like another second round pick, sure but this wasn't one of those drafts that just screamed great players all throughout the draft.

I looked at this teams draft history over the last few years and by all accounts we should have some very good prospects coming thru our system over the next few years. While it would've been nice to add a guy in the second round, I don't think it's going to kill us over the long haul.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I don't get this line of thinking about acquiring Grebs. How in the world do we know he's going to go down for virtually all his time here? If we don't make the move to acquire him people complain that we don't do anything to improve the team. We make the move and he gets hurt and people are upset about it. The guy went down to block a shot and in the process got hurt. It happens. Poile and the owners were trying to make this team better. They felt he was a piece that would help and if he was healthy and if we got to the second round, either Hamhuis or Grebs probably would've been re-signed. That was the thought process with this years team, salary and the playoffs.

Would I have like another second round pick, sure but this wasn't one of those drafts that just screamed great players all throughout the draft.

I looked at this teams draft history over the last few years and by all accounts we should have some very good prospects coming thru our system over the next few years. While it would've been nice to add a guy in the second round, I don't think it's going to kill us over the long haul.
My point is some people are taking the stance that the trade wasn't a waste. Nobody is saying anything about his injury limiting time and impact---that's a fact. Also a fact is that because of the injury, the end tally on this trade is zero. He contributed basically in just the one game reg season game, his injury meant that he couldn't contribute to the stretch drive for a month, and he barely played in the playoffs---Preds got essentially nothing from a game performance perspective. There was no chance Poile was going to sign this guy at his QO amount (in fact Poile mentioned he tried to get Grebs for cheaper to stay, which of course isn't happening), and because apparently no one is interested in trading for his rights, the end of Grebs here also means we got nothing in return for his rights. No game performance and no residual trade value means to me we got nothing for the second round pick.

When trading, we can only assess it's value on a couple of things. If you are acquiring draft picks, then it can be years before you can make an assessment. In this case it was a draft pick for a player who is now leaving, so the lifespan of this trade is now complete:
What game production did we get? Nothing.
What residual value did the team get from this player (i.e. trade/compensation)? Again, nothing.
What did the team have to give up for the player? Second round pick.

We can agree/disagree about what the trade meant at the TIME of the trade, but now that everything about this trade is now over, we can only assess how this trade ACTUALLY turned out for this. The injury, no game production and loss of this player for nothing in return means we got nothing for that 2nd pick. Of course nobody could have foreseen the injury, but it happened and because of that he didn't contribute. Simply looking at the true outcome of this trade here----everything else is woulda/coulda/shoulda.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The Preds made the trades to accumulated playoff depth for the team. Greb's injury really hurt the team on this part. If he was healthy, we would be talking about a 2nd round trip. I truly believe that. If Healthy the 2nd rounder would be well worth it. He believes he will get 3.1 million.....too bad it will be in the KHL. I don't think any NHL team will sign him for that. Maybe 2.5 is a better number.

Boyd, oh well, the Preds were looking to see if Boyd had something in the tank but didn't. Halischuk could be interesting. NJ was expecting him to play some games with the big club and you might just see that with him.

Olvecky, yeah, enjoy job hunting.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
My point is some people are taking the stance that the trade wasn't a waste. Nobody is saying anything about his injury limiting time and impact---that's a fact. Also a fact is that because of the injury, the end tally on this trade is zero. He contributed basically in just the one game reg season game, his injury meant that he couldn't contribute to the stretch drive for a month, and he barely played in the playoffs---Preds got essentially nothing from a game performance perspective. There was no chance Poile was going to sign this guy at his QO amount (in fact Poile mentioned he tried to get Grebs for cheaper to stay, which of course isn't happening), and because apparently no one is interested in trading for his rights, the end of Grebs here also means we got nothing in return for his rights. No game performance and no residual trade value means to me we got nothing for the second round pick.

When trading, we can only assess it's value on a couple of things. If you are acquiring draft picks, then it can be years before you can make an assessment. In this case it was a draft pick for a player who is now leaving, so the lifespan of this trade is now complete:
What game production did we get? Nothing.
What residual value did the team get from this player (i.e. trade/compensation)? Again, nothing.
What did the team have to give up for the player? Second round pick.

We can agree/disagree about what the trade meant at the TIME of the trade, but now that everything about this trade is now over, we can only assess how this trade ACTUALLY turned out for this. The injury, no game production and loss of this player for nothing in return means we got nothing for that 2nd pick. Of course nobody could have foreseen the injury, but it happened and because of that he didn't contribute. Simply looking at the true outcome of this trade here----everything else is woulda/coulda/shoulda.
I totally understand what you're saying and you get what I'm saying.

If you could go back in time, without the knowledge you have now, would you still have made the trade? I still think the trade happens. I'm not happy that we effectively received nothing in this deal as you've pointed out but you never know how trades are going to work out.

In reality, I'm probably more upset with the Witt trade from a few years ago as he didn't really fit here and didn't bring much to the table all the while we gave up a first.

I think Grebs would've fit here if he were healthy. Unfortunately, he took one for the team, so to speak and we effectively paid the price of a second round pick for it.

Ultimately, I really don't think it's gonna hurt us long term. We've had some really strong drafts the last few years and it appears we landed another good player in the first round in Watson. Even if he's the only one that pans out from this years class I'll be pretty happy.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I totally understand what you're saying and you get what I'm saying.

If you could go back in time, without the knowledge you have now, would you still have made the trade? I still think the trade happens. I'm not happy that we effectively received nothing in this deal as you've pointed out but you never know how trades are going to work out.

In reality, I'm probably more upset with the Witt trade from a few years ago as he didn't really fit here and didn't bring much to the table all the while we gave up a first.

I think Grebs would've fit here if he were healthy. Unfortunately, he took one for the team, so to speak and we effectively paid the price of a second round pick for it.

Ultimately, I really don't think it's gonna hurt us long term. We've had some really strong drafts the last few years and it appears we landed another good player in the first round in Watson. Even if he's the only one that pans out from this years class I'll be pretty happy.
Agree on all those points, especially the Witt debacle. I didn't like it when Poile made that deal, and I like it even less now---if that's possible. At least Grebs made some sense from a game production value, although the possibility of the Preds ever being able to retain him was dubious at best. The back end of this trade (signing or trading his rights) was always what I was concerned with.

Moving on....

Old
06-29-2010, 11:16 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What this does is that Grebs has lost any chance of making 3 million much less 3.5. The QO was the only leverage he had to make this money and now he is at the mercy of the NHL FA system unless he goes to Europe. If he does then NO ONE in the NHL will get him and the Preds actually win this little piece of the action by weakening the NHL.

Like I have posted, I think the defense is done. Now the only thing what is going to happen is how the team will build the forward corp. With Boyd going buh-bye,that opens up a forward spot for a trade. (Unless Poile has faith in Halischuk which is unlikely).

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
braindead

Quote:

Sincerely,
Dear PP,

Tell me when we are about to trade for a player that will a short time later take a puck in the nut sack and miss the rest of the season. I'll tell Poile not to trade for that player no matter who it is.

Sincerly,

Guys without the crystal ball

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Soon-to-be former #Preds defenseman Denis Grebeshkov may move to Lokomotiv of the KHL. The negotiations have reportedly started.
http://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/17436782015

Old
06-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
SK to join!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote