HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

CGC: Light notes on the roster

Old
06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
CGC: Light notes on the roster

Non-Olympic schedule.

Because of the Non-Olympic schedule, the Preds can afford to play Rinne 65-75 games this year with a UFA playing all of 7-17 games. There is a LOT of good backups in the mix and with Philly has both Turco and Nabby in the fold and might sign BOTH, you could see possibly 2-3 name goalies playing with the Preds for the back-up role in training camp. In all honesty, the best thing to happen to Dan Ellis is if a bunch of goalies in the system leave to go to Europe and play for the cash. And it would be also a good thing for Mark Dekanich who could handle a work load of 7-17 games. Or Smith... Or Pickard.... To be honest, I'll take Glenngeer for 7-17 games. I'm not worried as long as Rinne can play the What will happen to Ellis when the game of musical chairs is done and he's left without a home? Europe? Doesn't seem the type. Could Dan Ellis come back for a one year and try the system next year? Because of the cash and cap space Poile could throw Ellis a bone and the Preds might still have room for another player.

Legwand and O'Reilly are competing for the #2 center spot.

I was honestly expecting O'Reilly and Sulzer packaged for picks or a player but I have a feeling Chicago didn't bite because of the need to get picks and other teams overpaid. (I have to say the Atlanta deal was not bad at all for Chicago). This is what I think now; Legwand and O'Reilly are going to fight for the #2 center position behind Wilson. Some are expecting Legwand to be given the #2 spot but I think Trotz is going to use this as a opportunity to kick Legwand well past the gluteus region and into the decending colon. Frankly, if the roster can't be improved for some reason O'Reilly is more of a natural fit for Sully and Dumont versus Legwand. You may disagree but O'Reilly will feed Dumont and Sully for goals which can increase goal scoring which is what the team needs. If Legwand outplays O'Reilly.....then I think O'Reilly is traded for picks and a UFA is brought in. Maybe he can join Peverley in Atlanta and find out that defense is not an option. As for Wilson, he was drafted to be the next Arnott and he can't do that if Arnott is in the way and keeping him at the wing. It's time for the kid to play his role.

The Defense is set.

This will REALLY piss off the group but the fact is this. The main problem with the defense was on ice chemistry. Hamhuis did not blend with any one defenseman. He did not work with Klein, he was meh with Franson. Pure and simple, this team can not pay three #1 salaries and Hamhuis is looking for that. He's a union man and he wants to get paid. Weber-Suter can eat large minutes for the same reason as Rinne, non-olympic schedule. You could see them play 25+ minutes a game without a major hit in their skills. Without Hamhuis you have to redefine the PK, Parent was brought in for that and to be paired with Franson to become a poor man's Weber-Suter. Klein-Boullion works. That pairing worked through out the season. On the Forecheck got it with it's article on how effective the pairings were through out the season. It's Weber-Suter, Klein-Boullion, Franson-Parent. Sulzer will be traded. Laakso and Blum will rotate in the #7 spot and with Boullion and Parent's injury histories they will really be 6a, 6b. This is the defense. Grebs has been given permission to seek a trade which means he's also will be negotiating with teams to see what his value is. He won't like the answers he will be hearing. The HF rumor of him going to the KHL was simply based on his Russian last name. Well, it might be a self full-filling prophecy.

There is cash in the lock box.

The Nashville Predators are a non-profit organization. We know this. We know that any money made goes into the team, pure and simple. With the reorganization of the ownership and Cigar's (I can't spell the man's name, look it up!) verbal commitment on 1045 to give Poile extra cash for spending this could be interesting. Based on my algebra, the Preds should have about 3.5-4 million dollars to spend after getting the RFA's back in the fold. Boyd might also be traded if one of the many forwards in Milwaukee out play him. He's cheap and is a "Predators player" BUT Halischuk might be interesting. He was expected to get a few games with NJ and they weren't exactly slouches at forward. He was the #9 prospect for the Devils and the #1 RW prospect. I just hope he doesn't take the Ryan Jones express to the waiver wire.

EDIT: Boyd told to hit the bricks and now i expect Halischuk and Thuresson to fight for the spot.

This season smells like a wading in water till we find the problems and fix them one at a time season. This team will have cash room to make deals BEFORE the trade deadline leading to more HF *****ing and whining about a really boring trade deadline. The only way this team gets to the playoffs is if Sully and Dumont find their bearings with O'Reilly in the middle feeding them. As I have said before, Dumont's problem was 3rd line minutes and line mates who were thinking defense first. Now Dumont has no excuse and if he can't do the job, Poile might just make a move for a player who can.

The locker room chemistry set.

I look at the roster right now and there is a balance. The defensive pairings look set. Not great but they look like they can play nice together. Forward wise the first line looks like the something out of NHL 2000, there is a power forward-play maker-sniper. Sure the power rankings on the players are not that high but they are young and might get on a hot streak and raise them up. The 2nd and 3rd line will always be in flux. Players mixing in and out. I honestly think Dumont passed a loyalty test and that's why Arnott was moved instead of him. Personally, I feel Dumont will not be traded because if he is, this team will have trouble making the floor of the cap unless they did something insane like take on a REALLY bad contract but there better be an entire draft class coming with that contract. This roster is pretty set and the only thing that can happen is adding on. Arnott's move also made the assension of either Weber or Suter to captian easier. Or Sully, Or Legwand. The problem is HOW does this team define the title of "Captian" this year? Is it the 'Best talent in the locker room?', 'Team's emotional leader?', 'Guy best capable to sway the refs?' Remember the ONLY benifit of being the captian in the NHL is the right to speak to the refs directly. BUT there is the aura of Captian in hockey unlike any other. In the MLB there is only 1 team, the Boston Red Sox, who actually define who the captian is, Jason Varitek [He is the intellegent and emotional leader of the club]. Same with the NBA with the Boston Celtics and Paul Pierce [emotional and vocal leader]. Football has multiple captains for the different positions because of the need to organize a large number of players.

My hope for this year's Predators is to really define the position of 'Captian' and create a criteria for what makes a Nashville Predators Captian. As Volde has mentioned, the role of captian has evolved with the evolution of the club. Where is this club and what is the captian's role?

All of these questions are mute simply because July 1st hasn't even hit yet and the (Lack of) insanity of the UFA period and QO's hasn't even hit yet. There will be one more UFA signing, I feel it. The training camp invites could be VERY interesting. As usual, the world will say the Predators will not make the playoffs, the team will outcoach and outwork the opposition and Poile will pick clean the bones of the UFAs and make a very nice soup. (Just ask Joel Ward, Francis Boullion, Dan Ellis....)

Now how does Nashville exceed expectations THIS time?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:42 AM
JamboPred

I like the sound of the sully-cal'o-dumont line I think they would work well together if they are allowed to stick together and not split up. I think its important to give cal time with more skilled wingers. Remind me did we see this line last season at all?

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Not that I know of of the top of my head but I have been looking at PP and PK times for players.

Klein and Parent may be the 1st pairing Both averaged 2+ minutes of PK ice time per game. This may be Parent's biggest contribution on the team. Smithson and Ward would be the forwards. Suter WAS the 2nd most time but with Parent he will lose some PK time and may get more PP which might increase the quality of the PP.

Klein Parent Smithson Ward, Legwand Spaling Suter Boullion

The power play could see more time and evolution. With Boyd leaving the Preds will have an open roster spot for a goal scoring forward, but doing the research Halischuk got predominate PP time with the Devils when he played with the Devils. 1.07 minutes per game. If Halischuk makes the team he may just see PP time.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

a lot of people seem to have faith that Cal O can handle top six duty based on a few points he picked up in 4 games there last season.

Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time overlooking the rest of the games, where he was flat out invisible, despite playing at times with Dumont, Erat, and various other "scorers."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
I like the sound of the sully-cal'o-dumont line I think they would work well together if they are allowed to stick together and not split up. I think its important to give cal time with more skilled wingers. Remind me did we see this line last season at all?
We saw O'Reilly and Sullivan together for a shift in the last Vancouver game, and O'Reilly turned the puck over and just looked lost in general.

I just don't see him as our #2 center. If Trotz is insistent on putting Legwand with the worst possible talents he can scrape together, then I guess it would work, but unless O'Reilly finds some new level of intensity that he hasn't shown me yet, we won't make the playoffs with him as our second pivot.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We saw O'Reilly and Sullivan together for a shift in the last Vancouver game, and O'Reilly turned the puck over and just looked lost in general.

I just don't see him as our #2 center. If Trotz is insistent on putting Legwand with the worst possible talents he can scrape together, then I guess it would work, but unless O'Reilly finds some new level of intensity that he hasn't shown me yet, we won't make the playoffs with him as our second pivot.
Does he need more time to develop or is it trotz holding him back because he can tear up the AHL. That's why I would take a risk in giving him a permanent second line role, but if Wilson is our first line centre it would be very high risk team

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
token grinder

for bfc. more than one team has a captain. and this one actually plays every day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._team_captains

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
roseyc

If we are depending on O'Reilly then we are hurting then. Just an example Wilson last year coming out camp was on the roster until he got hurt. Then when he healed he had a rehab in Milw and then came to us and showed that he was what we thought he was for a rookie. All this time O'Reilly and Santorelli were going back forth and couldn't muster any goals and both looked invisible. I will give O'Reilly credit that he is a good shootout performer. But so was Ville Koisten. I know Poile said that Legwand has to perform better than 11 goals but I think he is right where he does best and that is checking line center. I think he can score 15 goals but I don't see him above 20 goals again. Look at Dumont he was jettison to the 4th line and all over the place and yet he was able to score 17 goals.

This is what I would do with what we have

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Sully-UFA-UFA
Ward-Legwand-Dumont
Tootoo-Goc-Smithson

Here's what they'll try to do

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Sully-Legwand-Dumont
Ward-Goc-Smithson
Tootoo-O'Reilly-Spaling

If they sign anybody

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Sully-Legwand-???
Ward-Goc-Dumont
Tootoo-O'Reilly-Smithson

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If we go with Wilson and O'reily, our top two centers will have played a COMBINED 66 games last year

In those 66 games, they had a combined 26 points.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Checker61

This team is in trouble if you have O Reilly playing anything more than 4th line with some PP . Poile has got to be looking at someone. Yesterday apparently he tried to low ball Boyd and then asked him if he would accept a trade so he could get a prospect from another team . Boyd said no thanks . I'll try free agency .

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker61 View Post
This team is in trouble if you have O Reilly playing anything more than 4th line with some PP . Poile has got to be looking at someone. Yesterday apparently he tried to low ball Boyd and then asked him if he would accept a trade so he could get a prospect from another team . Boyd said no thanks . I'll try free agency .
Boyd has no say in whether or not he's traded. Therefore, that part of your story makes no sense. I wouldn't doubt that Poile made Boyd an offer below his QO though and Boyd refused...electing UFA status...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Checker61

I am right you are wrong. Poille would have had to qualify him or sign him to trade . If Boyd didn't like the contract he could refuse and become an UFA which he did ./

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Does he need more time to develop or is it trotz holding him back because he can tear up the AHL. That's why I would take a risk in giving him a permanent second line role, but if Wilson is our first line centre it would be very high risk team
Lots of guys who can tear up the AHL don't find success in the NHL. Rob Schremp, Darren Haydar, and Simon Gamache all come to mind.

If you think playing with Wilson as our top center is a gamble, depending on O'Reilly to step up and produce is like playing Russian Roulette with five bullets.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
for bfc. more than one team has a captain. and this one actually plays every day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._team_captains
I'm sorry, I don't follow the stock market that much and I meant captains of sports teams not corporations.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Please note this is based on what the roster looks like RIGHT NOW. I would not be surprised to see Nashville pick up a #2 center and waive/trade O'Reilly. Nashville is going to be taking a BIG leap of faith on this roster with the youth at center and age at wing.

But let's face it, this is Trotz we are talking about, he might pull a #1 line of Token, Glenngineer, and SLake and I would be shrugging because I would have expected it a week earlier.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker61 View Post
I am right you are wrong. Poille would have had to qualify him or sign him to trade . If Boyd didn't like the contract he could refuse and become an UFA which he did ./
Quote:
"We've talked to Boyd's agent a couple of times, and we've also talked to a couple clubs about a possible deal," Poile said. "We can still sign him between now and July 1 or we could trade him. There's an outside chance that one of those two could happen."
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...2/6290343/2163

Boyd doesn't become a UFA until July 1st. His trade value is extremely low right now due to not being signed, but Poile did not have to qualify him to trade him and had Boyd accepted whatever offer Poile made...he would be under contract to the Predators and possibly kept through training camp before being traded.

Boyd had every right to decline an offer below his QO and I don't blame him. Bottom line is that he is not likely going to be with the Predators next season and I think both sides are fine with that...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I would not be surprised to see Nashville pick up a #2 center and waive/trade O'Reilly.
I would think Nashville would prefer to trade O'Reilly rather than waive him at the start of next season, with him being on a 1-way contract, agreed?

cjerina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:58 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
I would think Nashville would prefer to trade O'Reilly rather than waive him at the start of next season, with him being on a 1-way contract, agreed?
They would PREFER it but there was this player by the name of Rich Peverley.....

Old
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
cjerina

Quote:
They would PREFER it but there was this player by the name of Rich Peverley.....
well, either way, I would assume their final destination for Cal is not Milwaukee, just based on the money itself?

cjerina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
well, either way, I would assume their final destination for Cal is not Milwaukee, just based on the money itself?
To be honest, with the SK trade, I'm scrambling to see how the roster is going to shape up. SK was only making 585,000 and was QO'ed (673,000). If someone sends an offer sheet to him then Nashville can match OR take a pick which cancels out the 5th rounder conditional. If he gets moody and is cut, oh well, Nashville got him for nothing anyway.

Literally, Nashville can not lose on this deal.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Literally, Nashville can not lose on this deal.
Unless Kostitsyn signs, reports, and starts causing trouble.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Then the Preds tell him to go shuffle off to Siberia. The guy will be making less than 700K and the Preds will sign him to a one year contract, I hope.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Or craps out 10 goals on a scoringline.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:

The Nashville Predators are a non-profit organization.
Really? This is news to me. They allegedly made a million their first year, and we dont' know if owners are taking salaries, among many unknowns.

I can tell you the owners expect to see at least some return on their investment.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote